What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NorCal+SoCal Fires (Napa/Sonoma/Mendocino/Ventura) (1 Viewer)

Tried to get back up the highway. CHP has Hwy 12 blocked off at Madrone Rd. There’s a winery called Hamel Family right at that intersection. The hill behind the vineyard is a-blaze, about 600 yds from the highway. And at least 30 cars parked there with gawkers checking it out. Smh. 

Havent slept. Working on 100% adrenaline. Feel a crash coming soon. 
Just brutal.  Hang in there, gb.

Tried to get back up the highway. CHP has Hwy 12 blocked off at Madrone Rd. There’s a winery called Hamel Family right at that intersection. The hill behind the vineyard is a-blaze, about 600 yds from the highway. And at least 30 cars parked there with gawkers checking it out. Smh. 

Havent slept. Working on 100% adrenaline. Feel a crash coming soon. 
Easy for me to say sitting here with nothing at stake, but I'd say you should try to force yourself to get some sleep. Nothing you do right now is going to change the outcome. Worst thing you can do is make yourself sick or fall asleep driving or something because you didn't get enough rest. 

I mean, I'd be doing the same thing as you I'm sure, but you'll be in a much better place to deal with the outcome if you get some sleep.

Definitely smell it here in the Bay Area, and my windows are closed. It's a little windy here so some is getting through crevices. It looks like the apocalypse in some areas! All the major local channels have been preempting all their shows for this fire coverage. Unbelievable the damage done and 0% is contained right now. :(

Praying for you Quint. I'm glad you are safe. They are saying do not try to go back home until they say so. With 14 fires going on and possibility of spread with the winds changing, best to stay put in a shelter. Also they need the roads clear for all the responders. Best wishes to you and everyone else affected by this. xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen any reports of percent containage or anything like that.  I know responders work to get people out first, but it seems odd to me that we're not hearing anything about the actual fighting of the fires.  

I haven't seen any reports of percent containage or anything like that.  I know responders work to get people out first, but it seems odd to me that we're not hearing anything about the actual fighting of the fires.  
Because the areas hit are densely populated, focus has been on getting people to shelters and protecting the hospitals there all night long.  Also due to the very windy conditions which just subsided up there not long ago, they haven't been able to fight the fires. They got close then the wind would errupt up to 70 mph and the embers would spread so they had to retreat. The high winds is why it's so out of control. The images are unreal. I've never seen images like this. So sad.

Wife is on a text chain with some locals. Seems like our neighborhood is right on the cusp of some fires now. Hoping the fire doesn’t jump the highway. 

Hearing that Chateau St Jean is gone. Along with Stag’s Leap over in Napa. Haven’t heard much news about injuries or fatalites, so that’s something positive. 

CalFire, etc are focused on evac right now. Lives > properly is the news report. 

Wife is on a text chain with some locals. Seems like our neighborhood is right on the cusp of some fires now. Hoping the fire doesn’t jump the highway. 

Hearing that Chateau St Jean is gone. Along with Stag’s Leap over in Napa. Haven’t heard much news about injuries or fatalites, so that’s something positive. 
:(

1 dead, 2 seriously injured in Mendocino.

Sounds like the golf course the big tournament was just at is gone as is the local high school there. Just saw a Facebook video of Cardinal Newman and it’s gone other than like 1 or 2 buildings. My friends over in black point had the fire come pretty damn close last night, they are saying Infineon took the brunt of their fire.

oh, and F MC :wink:

Just reported, 10 dead so far. :( Sad to see on tv a man trying to stave off flames to save his home. Hope he gets out.

This is # 5 worst fire in CA's history now and it's not over. 10 confirmed deaths.

One of my girlfriend's coworkers and her two daughters are staying with us tonight as they were evacuated at 3:00 AM from their home in Santa Rosa.  They don't know if their home is still there or not.  Just was at Target in Novato, several people out in the parking lot hanging around their cars that are obviously displaced, trying to figure out where to go.  

One of my girlfriend's coworkers and her two daughters are staying with us tonight as they were evacuated at 3:00 AM from their home in Santa Rosa.  They don't know if their home is still there or not.  Just was at Target in Novato, several people out in the parking lot hanging around their cars that are obviously displaced, trying to figure out where to go.  
Glad to hear they are safe. Good on ya for taking them in. 

Looks like the wind forecast at least in Santa Rosa area is pretty calm tonight. That has to be good for containment, right?  Anyone see anything different?

Looks like the wind forecast at least in Santa Rosa area is pretty calm tonight. That has to be good for containment, right?  Anyone see anything different?
Wind is now coming from SSW and is > 5mph. Don’t see that changing overnight. Good news for CalFire. 

The wind last night was 50+ and from the north... always a hot wind around here. 

Holy F! 

Have not been paying to the news for a few days. This looks very bad. Just caught image of Santa Rosa neighborhood that was razed by fire.

Just got a text that Novato isn’t cancelling classes for tomorrow, from those out there how bad is the smoke?

Just got a text that Novato isn’t cancelling classes for tomorrow, from those out there how bad is the smoke?
It's gotten a lot better in Novato - winds shifted this afternoon to carry most of it offshore.  Still smells strongly, but it's not nearly as bad as this morning and saw some blue skies this afternoon.

The air smells like smoke 50 miles away in SF
I live over on Telegraph Hill. 

Last night I thought a house in the neighborhood maybe caught fire.  The smoke scent was thick enough to close all windows.

Woke up this morning and was utterly shocked to see the magnitude of this. 

T&P neighbors to the North, stay safe. 

Temps to cool some but still near or a bit above 80 for the next couple of days up there. No rain for the next 7 days. More areas haven burned than the entire size of Oakland.. :(

For tonight, 10-20% humidity, wind gusts expected up to 55 mph up there.

Good luck everybody...T&P tonight. Stay safe.

ETA.. spoke w my mom tonight in sausalito- said there was ash on the street. As far south as that.

Where do you see this?  All the weather sites I’m looking at show next to no wind. 
The weather forecast on our local news. :dunno: At 9:00 we'll be starting over with updates.

Ok, so KRON 4 is saying single digit winds. whew.

woke up worrying about all of you...

10 dead, more than 100 currently missing  :(  

really hope everything turned out ok for Quint and family. and everybody else. I'm a little scared to look at FB- beyond my FFA ifriends here, have a bunch of people I grew up with in that area.

More areas of Santa Rosa evacuated last night as either a new fire or part of one of the existing ones (yes there are up to 15 burning in Northern CA right now) approached a few neighborhoods near Annadel State Park. 

Solano Country fires growing as well, Atlas Peak fire moving that direction led to evacuations in Fairfield  

Winds dying down obviously good for the fires, but the smoke is much worse here in Marin now than it was yesterday afternoon.  

Thanks @El Floppo

we’re ok. Stayed the night at friends who are in a voluntary evac area. Little to no wind last night and this AM, super-smoky outside. Have to wear a mask outside and eyes constantly watering. Hard to get any accurate info, especially regarding our neighborhood. The Hwy is still closed northbound, so we can’t get back home. Might be a couple more days according to the woman at CDF. 

All that said, we’re very lucky compared to a lot of folks. Seeing the pics/video on tv is just shocking. I have a very good friend whose brother and father both lost their homes yesterday. And his mom’s plave (about a mile from us) is being threatened today. It’s just surreal. 

More areas of Santa Rosa evacuated last night as either a new fire or part of one of the existing ones (yes there are up to 15 burning in Northern CA right now) approached a few neighborhoods near Annadel State Park. 

Solano Country fires growing as well, Atlas Peak fire moving that direction led to evacuations in Fairfield  

Winds dying down obviously good for the fires, but the smoke is much worse here in Marin now than it was yesterday afternoon.  
Annabel State Park is right behind us. Got an alert this AM stating the fires there have moved south toward Oakmont/White Oak. 

thanks for checking in Quint- so glad you guys are ok. 

I did just check FB- the guy I was most concerned about (works in a winery) lost everything, but is safe.

everything except a custom convertible bronco he'd been building by hand for years (and recently finished). a friend of theirs posted a video going to their place- showing everything gone but the bronco just sitting there untouched.

Thank you for posting this.  I'm in SoCal where we are battling some fires ourselves--but I didn't quite understand the scope of the Northern Cali fires until looking at the link you provided.  Those pics are are chillingly disturbing.   I hope and pray for all of those whom have been effected--and god bless the firefighters.  

So awful.  Recently had a bunch of fires in the Columbia River Gorge that burned up so much beauty and a few homes but weren't nearly as devastating at what's going on now in California.  The air quality in Portland was hideous for a few days.  All started by a teenager throwing fireworks into the woods.  :(

So awful.  Recently had a bunch of fires in the Columbia River Gorge that burned up so much beauty and a few homes but weren't nearly as devastating at what's going on now in California.  The air quality in Portland was hideous for a few days.  All started by a teenager throwing fireworks into the woods.  :(
yeah gb, so f'n bad up there. :(

Users who are viewing this thread