What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Norv Turner accepts OC job in San Francisco (1 Viewer)

Jason Wood

Zoo York
Lots of chatter about Norv landing in Kansas City but I hadn't heard much about him landing in San Francisco. Certainly Norv has more experience than just about anyone else available, but I wonder if this means the 49ers will really veer away from the WCO. They hired McCarthy last year, in part, to re-install the traditional WCO after the Dennis Erickson debacle.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5254184

Good hire IMO. I hated him as the coach of the Raiders, but always thought he was a good OC. Some guys are really good coordinators, but just are not head coaches.

Lots of chatter about Norv landing in Kansas City but I hadn't heard much about him landing in San Francisco. Certainly Norv has more experience than just about anyone else available, but I wonder if this means the 49ers will really veer away from the WCO. They hired McCarthy last year, in part, to re-install the traditional WCO after the Dennis Erickson debacle.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5254184
This is a very good hire for San Fran. Norv will get this team running and take the pressure off of Smith. Great sleeper potential now more than ever for Barlow or Gore. Whoever gets that job could be tough. Turner has a way making descent running games top ten fantasy running games.

VERY happy with this hire, as a 49ers fan. Norv knows how to coach the O. With Nolan and Singletary (if they can hold on to him) developing the D, the 49ers are only a few solid personnel moves away from respectability again.

VERY happy with this hire, as a 49ers fan. Norv knows how to coach the O. With Nolan and Singletary (if they can hold on to him) developing the D, the 49ers are only a few solid personnel moves away from respectability again.
Ditto. As a 9er fan, I LOVE this hire.

Interesting...wasn't Nolan once Norv's defensive coordinator in Washington? I could be wrong, but I know that Nolan spent some time in Washington, and I thought it was under Norv...M

Interesting...wasn't Nolan once Norv's defensive coordinator in Washington? I could be wrong, but I know that Nolan spent some time in Washington, and I thought it was under Norv...

M
Right. Nolan was DC in Washington from 1997-1999 when Turner was HC.

Norv can be a real idiot about forgetting that he can run the ball. Only Jimmy Johnson seemed to have any control over him in that regard. Other than that, he's a very good OC who is not a good HC. He may even be the Dave Wannstedt of OCs, though that is pretty harsh criticism to make about anybody. It also assumes that Dave could go back to being a decent DC at this stage in his career. At any rate, I'm happy I get to wish Norv some luck because he won't be in the AFC East.

recycle,recycle,recycle....Man these guys just never go away do they. Nolan got his shot under Turner, so he owes this millionare a favor, BINGO OC job! I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs. Same rich failures getting fat paychecks from the NFL Faternity. Mike Sherman and Hasslett will be working some where as well in a week.

recycle,recycle,recycle....

Man these guys just never go away do they.  Nolan got his shot under Turner, so he owes this millionare a favor, BINGO OC job!  I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs.  Same rich failures getting fat paychecks from the NFL Faternity.  Mike Sherman and Hasslett will be working some where as well in a week.
I think you have actually made a contribution to this thread *if* you can answer the following question:What non-retread coaches (and I don't even care about race here) would you have suggested get shots at these jobs? Answer remembering that their current teams don't have to give position assistants permission to interview for coordinator positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Man these guys just never go away do they.  Nolan got his shot under Turner, so he owes this millionare a favor, BINGO OC job!  I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs.  Same rich failures getting fat paychecks from the NFL Faternity.  Mike Sherman and Hasslett will be working some where as well in a week.
I think you have actually made a contribution to this thread *if* you can answer the following question:What non-retread coaches (and I don't even care about race here) would you have suggested get shots at these jobs? Answer remembering that their current teams don't have to give position assistants permission to interview for coordinator positions.
Caldwell in INDYLofton in SD has had his name bounced around the last couple of weeks.

Jim Zorn in Seattle

I am not sure what happen to Sheppard in NO, if he is gone after Haslett left.

I would also add anyone who spent time with Mike Martz as an offensive asst. or QB coach over the last several years.

I concede iit is difficult to point to race,but when does this league start giving some opportunities to others. This weekends games sure showed the referee community could use an infusion of youth and physical ability to keep pace with todays athletes

Caldwell in INDYLofton in SD has had his name bounced around the last couple of weeks.

Jim Zorn in Seattle

I am not sure what happen to Sheppard in NO, if he is gone after Haslett left.

I would also add anyone who spent time with Mike Martz as an offensive asst. or QB coach over the last several years.

I concede iit is difficult to point to race,but when does this league start giving some opportunities to others. This weekends games sure showed the referee community could use an infusion of youth and physical ability to keep pace with todays athletes
My thanks to you for the list. I am honestly not bugged by the hiring of Norv in this position because I think he is worthy of the shot based on what he has done as an OC (a position he has been successful at), but I just know somebody we all object to is going to get a retread shot. It's nice having a starting point for a list, and you have given us that.I totally agree about the officials as well. Make them full time employees, and train the crap out of them. Send them to boot camp every summer during training camp. You'll lose a number of good guys this way, so I'm sure you can't do this all at once. Still, any new officials should be full time hires. As part timers retire, bring in full timers to replace them.

Kind of funny that he might not have to move...I seriously doubt he actually lived in Oakland. ;)

Man these guys just never go away do they. Nolan got his shot under Turner, so he owes this millionare a favor, BINGO OC job! I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs. Same rich failures getting fat paychecks from the NFL Faternity. Mike Sherman and Hasslett will be working some where as well in a week.
Come on. Are you serious? Why can't we get some more white rb's in the game today and maybe a couple of corners. While we're at it why not get a couple of guards in the NBA. I don't see the NFL making teams have to draft a white rb or a white corner. I'm not coming down on you MCJC4 I just hear this compliant all the time and it has no legs to stand on. Not wanting to HIJACK but just had to day something.

Come on. Are you serious? Why can't we get some more white rb's in the game today and maybe a couple of corners. While we're at it why not get a couple of guards in the NBA. I don't see the NFL making teams have to draft a white rb or a white corner. I'm not coming down on you MCJC4 I just hear this compliant all the time and it has no legs to stand on. Not wanting to HIJACK but just had to day something.
What does drafting the best player avaliable to PLAY, and the rehiring of millionare friends over and over again? I am pretty sure living here in AZ that if the Suns cut Steve Nash he would find a spot on someones bench in the NBA. These same coaches keep getting big paying jobs after repeat failures. Now their continued failures have kept them around long enough for their young asst's to give them jobs. Lucky them.Forget color for a moment, I would just like to see some fresh faces and new ideas get the OC and DC positions. At some point someone will realize the league has figured out Norv Turners offensive tendencies. Hell, I would venture to believe with his results that last several years they figured it out awhile ago.

Man these guys just never go away do they. Nolan got his shot under Turner, so he owes this millionare a favor, BINGO OC job! I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs. Same rich failures getting fat paychecks from the NFL Faternity. Mike Sherman and Hasslett will be working some where as well in a week.
good posting..I don't think Haslett has a clue either..he is lousy.so is Mornhiweg, Sean Payton, Mike Nolan, Gunther Cunningham, Mike Sherman, Mularkey, Mora Jr., et al...but I don't remember Ray Rhodes or Art Shell or Herm Edwards setting the world on fire as head coaches either, and for that matter, I don't recall Tony Dungy every winning a championship game, or many playoff games at all, as he is 4-7 lifetime in the postseason..great regular season coach, poor postseason coach, just like Shottenheimer. Let me ask you, how does Herm Edwards get a $12 mil deal to be HC in KC?!?! he has a 38-41 lifetime HC record..so just HOW did he get that job?!?!? it goes both ways..Rhodes is a re-tread DC, as is Ted Cotrell..same with Dave Wannstedt, who thankfully is coaching in college, not in the NFL any more...Cleveland will learn in a year or two, that they've hired the best coach in the NFL, Romeo Crennel..he is fantastic! and, they'll also realize that they have one of the best Oc's in the game, Maurice Carthon..also, what about Pepper Johnson, he'll get a shot someday soon, as will Mike Singletary, and Ron Rivera has done wonders with the Bears Defense.

How do you think the RB situation plays out under Turner? Even doing a terrible job in Oak he turned Jordan into a stud. Personally I think Barlow is still much better than Gore in all aspects of the game. Does this put Barlow or Gore in top 15 RBs next year?

[/HIJACK] - Back to topic

Norv can be a real idiot about forgetting that he can run the ball. Only Jimmy Johnson seemed to have any control over him in that regard.
His RB's stats as an OC and Head CoachDAL 91: 1500+ and 13 total TDs

DAL 92: 1700+ and 19 total tds

DAL 93: 1400+ and 10 total TDs (in 14 games)

94-2000 he was the Redskins HC

94 his leading rusher was Rickey Ervins. Next year he got Terry Allen:

1300+ and 11tds in 95

1350+ and 21 tds in 96

in 97, Allen and Stephen Davis split time because of injuries and combined for 1300 and 8tds

in 98 it was Allen and Skip Hicks combining for 1100 and 10tds

in 99 S Davis had 1400+ and 17 tds

in '00 Davis had 1300+ and 11 tds.

in 2001, he was San Diegos OC. Some rookie RB named Tomlinson had 1200+ and 10tds.

in '02 he was hired by Miami as OC / Asst HC. Ricky Williams has 1800+ and 17tds.

In 03 Ricky has almost 1400yds and 10tds.

On to Oakland where until last year he didnt have much of a running game, but I dont know how much of the play calling he did either...

He had an RB mess in 04 and it looked like this:

+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+| Name | G | RSH YARD AVG TD | REC YARD AVG TD |+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+| Zack Crockett | 16 | 48 232 4.8 2 | 16 87 5.4 0 || Justin Fargas | 12 | 35 126 3.6 1 | 11 68 6.2 0 || Chris Hetherington | 5 | 1 4 4.0 0 | 3 28 9.3 0 || J.R. Redmond | 16 | 21 119 5.7 0 | 32 233 7.3 0 || Tyrone Wheatley | 8 | 85 327 3.8 4 | 15 78 5.2 0 || Amos Zereoue | 15 | 112 425 3.8 3 | 39 284 7.3 0 |+----------------------+----+-----------------------+----------------------+Even with the above mess, his RBs carried the ball 300 times.in 05 of course Jordan had 1500+ total yds and 11 tds.

When was it where he forgot to run the ball??

good posting..I don't think Haslett has a clue either..he is lousy.so is Mornhiweg, Sean Payton, Mike Nolan, Gunther Cunningham, Mike Sherman, Mularkey, Mora Jr., et al...but I don't remember Ray Rhodes or Art Shell or Herm Edwards setting the world on fire as head coaches either, and for that matter, I don't recall Tony Dungy every winning a championship game, or many playoff games at all, as he is 4-7 lifetime in the postseason..great regular season coach, poor postseason coach, just like Shottenheimer. Let me ask you, how does Herm Edwards get a $12 mil deal to be HC in KC?!?! he has a 38-41 lifetime HC record..so just HOW did he get that job?!?!? it goes both ways..Rhodes is a re-tread DC, as is Ted Cotrell..same with Dave Wannstedt, who thankfully is coaching in college, not in the NFL any more...Cleveland will learn in a year or two, that they've hired the best coach in the NFL, Romeo Crennel..he is fantastic! and, they'll also realize that they have one of the best Oc's in the game, Maurice Carthon..also, what about Pepper Johnson, he'll get a shot someday soon, as will Mike Singletary, and Ron Rivera has done wonders with the Bears Defense.
You could be right, you could be wrong. But what about Romeo Crennel leads you to believe he's a better hire than any of the other coaches who got jobs in the last two or three years?To play Devil's Advocate:

1) Crennel ran the defense in New England, which is Bill Belichick's area of focus [i.e., how much did Crennel really control?

2) A 34-year old Eric Mangini took over the very same defense and had them playing well enough that he himself landed a HC job in New York.

And I won't begin to understand your love affair with Carthon, the jury is WAY out on him.

He was an OC in Detroit for a very ineffective squad

He was a part-time OC in Dallas where he split duties with Sean Payton [a guy you label as lousy]

He was a one-year OC in Cleveland for a sputtering [albeit young and injured] offense

This hire warrents 2 very important questions:1. Who will be the starting RB, Gore or Barlow? or2. Will Turner try and bring in "his" guy ala Jordan in Oak?

This hire warrents 2 very important questions:

1. Who will be the starting RB, Gore or Barlow?

or

2. Will Turner try and bring in "his" guy ala Jordan in Oak?
Jamal Lewis might be available :whistle:

or

I would guess that the Barlow days are over in Frisco. Potential only goes so far and his hasrun out in my opinion. He is the west coast version of Micheal Pittman, appears to have all the tools to carry the load but never gets it done. If the price is right why not take a flyer on an A. Green or Onterio Smith type guy? Smith has obvious issues and Green maybe a little past his prime,but potential upside for either player should out way the cap cost for either one. Just a thought..

I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs.
Same type of guy that screams that he wants perks based upon the color of skin, then complains when it happens (but not in his favor). Ignorant on so many levels.Quit trying to drive a stake between colors (promoting racism)... promote the melting pot theory of America.PS - Norv Turner has proven multiple times to do well, not fail, with working effectively with offensive lines and running backs. You know, a problem that the team that just hired him has. Seems like a common sense move to me.

or

how much imput does an oc have over bringing in new players?

What thsi tells me as a KC homer is that Al Saunders isnt wowing GMs who are trying to fill coaching positions. That is nice to hear.......no offense to Al, but his worth to KC is HUGE right now, with a new HC.Hopefully he stays and Herm just tells him to keep it up.Norv was the choice if Al left so I have to believe that Carl Peterson would have moved on Turner if he thought Saunders was a goner.

or

I would be surprised if Nolan brings in a free agent RB of ANY significant cost, with so many other holes needing to be filled. My money would be on Gore getting the shot, and Barlow being traded away to someone desperate enough for RB help to part with a 2nd day draft pick for him.

1.  Who will be the starting RB, Gore or Barlow?

or

2.  Will Turner try and bring in "his" guy ala Jordan in Oak?
I would be surprised if Nolan brings in a free agent RB of ANY significant cost, with so many other holes needing to be filled. My money would be on Gore getting the shot, and Barlow being traded away to someone desperate enough for RB help to part with a 2nd day draft pick for him.
IMHO, the 49ers leading rusher in 2006 isn't currently on the roster.

or

Due to your lack of confidence in Barlow/Gore, or due to some intuition on Turner's preferences? Or other?

or

I disagree. RB is their deepest position and I doubt they draft/sign anyone. Nolan has stated his offseason needs (and it was a LONG list) and RB was not one of them.

It's nice to see a solid coaching staff develop in SF. Nolan and Singletary and Davis are all hat's off Defensive minds and with Norv on the ball offensively, I like the developement. I don't think Alex is going to have problem switching OCs as he didn't play a complete season for McCarthy. Let's keep the winning streak alive in the Fog City.

or

I disagree. RB is their deepest position and I doubt they draft/sign anyone. Nolan has stated his offseason needs (and it was a LONG list) and RB was not one of them.
We shall see, but I think Barlow = gone, and my confidence in Gore certainly doesn't supercede my belief that the 49ers can and will draft at least one rookie who has as good a shot at being the team's top runner.

only reason they would move Barlow is to bump hicks and Gore up into a share of the starting, role. Hicks is actually a bit small and injury prone because of that. RB's is not the problem by any means and I would be dissapointed as a fan if they didn't look elsewhere on offense. Eric Johnson is a major let down and we never really got a solid guy in there at TE> Battle is decent, but again, injury prone or just plain doesn't care. The Oline of course, who the flip gave this Kwame guy the starting job? Gore is a powerhouse, I've had the priv of interviewing him this past season and all he cares about is pounding the ball down these guys throats who passed him up and think he can't cut it- I've never seen #21 get pushed backward on a tackle, he's alwasy carrying gusy with him down field.

or

I would guess that the Barlow days are over in Frisco. Potential only goes so far and his hasrun out in my opinion. He is the west coast version of Micheal Pittman, appears to have all the tools to carry the load but never gets it done. If the price is right why not take a flyer on an A. Green or Onterio Smith type guy? Smith has obvious issues and Green maybe a little past his prime,but potential upside for either player should out way the cap cost for either one. Just a thought..
Same old same old. Instead of recycling these black guys why not bring in a Alstott or even a Travis Jervey? Hey, you never now if they don't get a chance. :bye:

or

Same old same old. Instead of recycling these black guys why not bring in a Alstott or even a Travis Jervey? Hey, you never now if they don't get a chance. :bye:
:fishing: :fishing: :yawn:

or

This would be my guess too. IF this is the case, I will be sure to try and land Gore on nearly all my teams. :thumbup:

or

:fishing: :fishing: :yawn:
just having some fun with you

Qb E. Manning, Hasselbach and Carr

Rb Portis, R. Williams, Brown, Dunn, Duckett, Bell, Betts, and Dayne

Wr Walker, D-Jax, Moulds, Boldin, J. Smith and M. Williams

Te Winslow, Heap and Graham

K Akers, Carney

D Philly and St. Louis
Quick FYI on your roster sig - Its Hasselbeck.Its a pet peeve of mine when names we've seen 3 billion times during the season get misspelled.

Qb E. Manning, Hasselbach and Carr

Rb Portis, R. Williams, Brown, Dunn, Duckett, Bell, Betts, and Dayne

Wr Walker, D-Jax, Moulds, Boldin, J. Smith and M. Williams

Te Winslow, Heap and Graham

K Akers, Carney

D Philly and St. Louis
Quick FYI on your roster sig - Its Hasselbeck.Its a pet peeve of mine when names we've seen 3 billion times during the season get misspelled.
Got it, thanks. Never noticed I did that before. :banned:

I have no intentions of highjacking this thread and making it a racial thing, but when do black asst. check shots atthese jobs.
Same type of guy that screams that he wants perks based upon the color of skin, then complains when it happens (but not in his favor). Ignorant on so many levels.Quit trying to drive a stake between colors (promoting racism)... promote the melting pot theory of America.

PS - Norv Turner has proven multiple times to do well, not fail, with working effectively with offensive lines and running backs. You know, a problem that the team that just hired him has. Seems like a common sense move to me.
When the NFL instituted its "must interview a black candidate" policy, there were two black head coaches. Now there are six--and three of those are the top three vote-getters for Coach of the Year. Would that have been true if not for the threat of lawsuit and the hiring policy change? Tough to say, of course, but societies don't tend to change themselves.Equality will have been reached not when a top black coach gets hired instead of a top white coach, but when a failed black chump gets as many chances as a failed white chump.

I don't understand any enthusiasm about a Norv Turner hiring. What has he done the last 3 years?

In 2003, Ricky Williams was a huge bust, rushing for 500 less yards, 7 less TDs and 1.3 less YPC. Even worse, the Miami offense (24th in the NFL) was the reason the Dolphins missed the playoffs despite ranking 2nd in the conference in points allowed. The Dolphins ranked in the bottom five of the NFL in YPC.

In 2004, the Raiders offense was pretty bad, ranking 20th in total yards and the team went 5-11. Oakland brought in all this stud talent, and was even worse last year on offense. Many thought they'd be in the top five in the league, and some thought they had a chance to break the single season record for scoring.

What exactly has Turner done except win a SB under Jimmy Johnson? Barry Switzer won a SB as HC with that talent and gets no credit, but Turner gets credit for having the leading RB in NFL history with one of the greatest O-lines ever?

Or for Tomlinson, who hands down had the worst year of his career under Turner? (And most five-year vet RBs don't have their worst years as rookies).

I don't understand the fascination with Turner at all, and I don't even buy the argument that some guys can be OCs and not HCs. Turner and his offenses stink, and if he couldn't suceed in Oakland or Miami with more talent (Ricky Williams, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael) then I doubt he'll do well in SF.

Good hire IMO. I hated him as the coach of the Raiders, but always thought he was a good OC. Some guys are really good coordinators, but just are not head coaches.
Brian Billick
Billick is one of only seven active coaches to have won a SB. (Parcells, Gibbs, Shanahan, Holmgren, Belichick, Gruden)

Turner and his offenses stink, and if he couldn't suceed in Oakland or Miami with more talent (Ricky Williams, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael) then I doubt he'll do well in SF.
I don't think you can judge Norv fairly by judging his time in Miami. DW in his wisdom overrode Norv's calls and hamstrung him with Jay Fiedler, perhaps one of the worst QB matches for that offense ever. I will say that I would have expected Norv to run an offense that would actually work given those constraints or to not remain in that job, but that apparently isn't Norv. If he has talent that matches up with his offense and an opportunity to call the plays he wants to play (which includes him forgetting the run from time to time), his offense looks pretty good. Look at his time in Washington as HC. He was a failure of an HC there, but he got a fair chance to at least implement his offense.

So he's failed with an improvisational QB without much of an arm, and he's also failed with a pocket QB with a strong arm, in very recent history. Uh...what kind of QB is it that works with "his offense"?

So he's failed with an improvisational QB without much of an arm, and he's also failed with a pocket QB with a strong arm, in very recent history. Uh...what kind of QB is it that works with "his offense"?
I don't think I got to see a single Raiders game this year (even the one with my beloved Dolphins), so I have no idea what went wrong there. It's beyond apparent that Fiedler isn't the type of QB who is cut out for Norv's offense, though. Clearly, the likes of Trent Green and Brad Johnson work pretty well as QB's in Norv's system. Ironically, so did Gus Frerotte, the Dolphins QB I can't wait to be sacked.

Turner and his offenses stink, and if he couldn't suceed in Oakland or Miami with more talent (Ricky Williams, Chris Chambers, Randy McMichael) then I doubt he'll do well in SF.
I don't think you can judge Norv fairly by judging his time in Miami. DW in his wisdom overrode Norv's calls and hamstrung him with Jay Fiedler, perhaps one of the worst QB matches for that offense ever. I will say that I would have expected Norv to run an offense that would actually work given those constraints or to not remain in that job, but that apparently isn't Norv. If he has talent that matches up with his offense and an opportunity to call the plays he wants to play (which includes him forgetting the run from time to time), his offense looks pretty good. Look at his time in Washington as HC. He was a failure of an HC there, but he got a fair chance to at least implement his offense.
He had one very good year in Washington, that's it.What was the excuse for what happenned last year?

Users who are viewing this thread