What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Not a Mock but draft related (1 Viewer)

Breesisdaman

Footballguy
I am currious how draft position will affect your draft strategy if you are in an auto draft. What positions do you target first if you pick 12th in a 12 man league?

If your reading this, then your in an area of the internet where people who LOVE to draft come together, so first off - I know I speak for everyone here when I say AUTO DRAFT SUCKS!

This is not mean as an insult to you - just to the system we are going to discuss.

The hardest thing about an Auto Draft is accounting for contingencies is impossible. Sure, we can come up with 13 good names to take with your 1.12 and 2.1 picks - but then what? We have to guess what happened for the next 22 picks and make a plan. Great if we are right, but sometimes a BIG mess if you are off (even a little).

How can you predict what to do with 3.12 and 4.1 if your not even POSSITIVE with who you have at 1.12 and 2.1? What position are filled can change your next move. It is alot IMPOSSIBLE to handcuff, because you don't know your starter so you can't target his backup in he middle rounds. You can slo get caught with too many players from one team.

So what do you do (not much advice yet - huh?)

Well - find a good league with a draft would be suggestion 1. Drafts are TOO MUCH FUN!

If your dead set on the AUTO DRAFT league, your going to need to comprise a VERY STRONG overall list. If you subscribe here - get the draft dominator or XLS sheet, customize it to your scoring rules, and build your cheat-sheet.

Avoid the temptation to list 13 RBs first to guarentee you get 2. You can still get burned with a 3rd or 4th RB pick in the 3rd and/or 4th when you needed a QB or WR more.

Just pump out the best overall list and cross your fingers. Your going to get some unpredictable results and you will miss some guys you would have liked, but you should have overall strength and depth and hopefully you can make a trade if you need to.

Good luck!

What he said :hangover:

If it is Yahoo, I had to auto draft one this year.

As far as draft slot,

1. Find out which player you really want in the first round.

2. Find out where you will get him in your league. Casual discussion with league mates picking above you should help.

3. Take that spot.

Solidify your rankings (The shadow knows.)

Exclude kickers.

Exclude defenses probably a good idea too.

or

don't rank too many IDPs too high.

Exclude the injured and jailed (Vick)

Correct the flaws with trades and waivers. Good Luck!

You need to check the scoring w/ last year's stats. Most common mistake IMO for late picks is picking by position, like RB.

If Peyton, for example, should have gone at 6 and he's still there you must take him. You can't leave him on the board. Must is a tough word for FF but, at the end of a round you cant let someone swing into the next round if he's a very good pick.

Predrafting the whole draft is tricky

I map out a whole ten rounds using last year's ADP to guess when guys will go.

Might be RB, RB, WR, WR, QB, TE or somesuch

I'd start making your WR in round 3 list. I've found that's a better starting point than round 1. Starts off all the thought processes of who might be there, who might fall, who is too early etc. right away. Never goes smooth for me if I start with round 1.

So to decide on say my WR in round 3, I'll list 10 players. 1 WR from round 1 for giggles, 3 WRs from round 2 just in case, then 6 that should go in the 2nd or 3rd range. NEXT I'll put in some RBs and QBs that "shouldn't" be there. Maybe 5 RBs and 2 QBs. 17? Yep

Don't forget though those 17 adjusted a smidge can be your list for round 2 and 4. Maybe it's 10 RBs and 5 WRs in round 2. Ya got some all done.

Also, predraft some vets in later rounds. Lean toward them moreso than rooks and 2nd year guys. Derrick Mason vs Laurent Robinson for example. Bruce vs James Jones. By the time the season comes, the vets could be coverring an injury or FA traded to be a backup or somesuch and they can be extra beneficial in these drafts

Users who are viewing this thread