What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Of your team's draft, which player(s) have to start as rookies? (1 Viewer)

Bracie Smathers

Footballguy
Not talking about where someone feels a rookie HAS to start due to team or front office pride where they were a first round pick and they think the team has to justify the pick by forcing them to start.

I'm talking about a player, or players, that your team drafted who HAS to start due to need.

The player doesn't have to be a hot-shot blue chip prospect, just a guy that your team really needs to start and just play 'ok' due to need.

Which player from your teams draft needs to start right away?

At a minimum, Jaguars need to have Luke Joeckel at RT, Cyprien at S, and Gratz at CB start right away.

S Josh Evans could see a lot of time. Jags secondary is so wide open that 7th round corners Jeremy harris and Demtrius McCray could also be factors.

Ace Sanders could possibly start at WR while Blackmon is suspended (if he can pick up a pro offense and beat out Massaquoi) and Denard Robinson could see some spot duty as RB/WR.

I'll go for the Browns.

Draft class

1st round LB Barkevious Mingo

3rd round CB Leon McFadden

6th round S Jamoris Slaughter

7th round DE Armonty Bryant

7th round OT/OG Garrett Gilkey

The only guy the Browns really need to start from this draft class is CB Leon McFadden.

Last fall they cut CB Dimitri Patterson and they have decided to not resign CB Sheldon Brown.

Their were injuries and the suspension to Joe Haden so they were pressed to put their third corner CB Buster Skrine into a starting role and he struggled.

McFadden was a four year starter, got invited to the Senior Bowl and played solid.

He probably won't be a star but that isn't a concern, he should be 'ok' and that is all the Browns need starting oppositve of Joe Haden.

I think he's the only guy from the Browns draft class that really needs to start.

About the only other player who has a shot at significant playing time is Mingo but he'll probably play in sub packages. I don't see the need for him to be starting his rookie season but I think CB Leon McFadden needs to start from game-one.

The only Viking rookie that HAS to start is Xavier Rhodes. Josh Robinson is better as the nickle. AJ Jefferson is better on the bench.

Patterson has to have a big role, but I don't know that he has to start.

Would be nice if one of the rookie LBs and/or guards could start.

Lane Johnson (rt): will start

Zach Ertz (te): will get a ton of playing time. I think Celek is on his way out and Ertz will be a great red zone target

Matt Barkley(qb): Not saying he must start, but I have no interest in watching Vick for another season. So its MB or Foles.

Datone Jones

Eddie Lacy / Jon Franklin (one of them has to start, maybe both if Franklin does 3rd down work. I still think Harris is going to hold on to 3rd down work for a little while)

I don't see anyone else making an immediate contribution, but I do see a slew of guys that will be developed over the next year or two and could be steals two years from now. Bahktiara and Charles Johnson lead that group.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the Bengals, SS Shawn Williams (3rd round pick) almost has to start. The other options are pretty unappealing with Taylor Mays, George Iloka, Robert Sands, etc. He will have to win the job in training camp, but it does look like it is his job to lose and he is the heavy favorite to start game 1.

Tyler Eifert doesn't have to start, but he probably will as I think the base offense will be 2 TEs with the FB seeing the field a lot less.

Buffalo Bills:

EJ Manuel, QB - why even bother starting anyone else?

Kiko Alonso, ILB - obvious need for playmaker at ILB

Robert Woods, WR - no other WR to start opposite Stevie Johnson, and is NFL ready

Almost forgot: Dustin Hopkins, K - Lindell can't kick over 50 yds. That's a problem, especially in Buffalo.

These are great replies, excellent fan insights.

Far better than general media grades so keep em coming.

Very good respones, great info.

Steelers = none. The one I think is most likely to start, is possibly the best option at his position on the roster, and who would theoretically bring the most to the table by starting is LeVeon Bell. I don't expect to see anyone else playing significant minutes barring injury - Wheaton and Jarvis Jones will be situational players unless one of them really kicks the door in. I haven't really seen a Steelers rookie make an impact at those positions in a while. Santonio Holmes in '06 had something like 45 catches for 800 yards and at LB, I can't remember a true impact rookie since Kendrell Bell. Seems like only offensive lineman and maybe RBs are going to get a lot of snaps with the first team in their rookie seasons with this regime.

New England Patriots -

Could absolutely see Edelman/Jones/Amendola/Hernandez/Gronk (depending on arm) plus the backs being the opening day offense skill guys, so the WR can develop.

If they play a 4-3 then you've got a front four I think of Nink/Kelly/Vince/Jones and LB of Mayo and Hightower with Collins on passing downs and Spikes on rushing downs - the Pats play so much nickel that a guy like Logan Ryan could definitely get time right away.

Honestly, none have to start. I think Collins is to a large degree determined by the type of D they play and how much run Spikes gets (he was tortured in pass coverage in the BAL game), also by how much A. Wilson ends up being in a LB role as opposed to safety. Talib and Dennard and Arrington are the 3 CB, McCourty at S - so have to figure Tavon Wilson and A Wilson are in the mix at safety, maybe Logan Ryan is the #4 corner - actually like a guy like Michael Buchanan could end up with a more predominant role in year one than a lot of players picked in front of him.

Raiders:

1.12 - DJ Hayden
2.10 - Menelik Watson
3.4 - Sio moore
4.15 - Tyler Wilson
6.4 - Nick Kasa
6.13 - Latavius Murray
6.16 - Mychal Rivera
6.37 - Stacy McGee
7.3 - Brice Butler
7.27 - David Bass

Really noone HAS to start, but my guess is that DJ will, and if Watsom can get the basics of pass-pro he will be an upgrade over K. Barnes, who is terrible. One of the TE's might start, as both Gordon and Ausberry haven't shown enough. Rivera is the better passcatcher, so look for him to lead Raiders TE's in receptions.

Sio Moora might start as well, as he is a BEAST.

An outside shot of T. Wilson winning the starting job.

The Chargers have to start Fluker and T'eo.

Allen doesn't have to start but I believe he'll beat out Floyd at some point (or fill in for an injured DX).

Steve Williams will be the nickel back if he can't win the #2 CB job.

Redskins:

Redskins fans everywhere want to see all three of our rookie DB's earn starting roles, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen, Shanahan will make them earn every snap. Still, there's a decent chance that Amerson, Phillips, and Rambo all see significant time, if not start.

Chris Thompson earning a passing down/pistol role early if healthy wouldn't be a surprise, despite most fans having no idea who he is.

Reed will work his way onto the field in the slot, if I had to guess.

The Chargers have to start Fluker and T'eo.

Allen doesn't have to start but I believe he'll beat out Floyd at some point (or fill in for an injured DX).

Steve Williams will be the nickel back if he can't win the #2 CB job.
I agree with this, fluker and t'eo. Allen doesnt have to but it wouldnt surprise me to see him and V Brown as the starters by seasons end.

Much like San Francisco in 2012, Denver is capable of making the SB without getting a single start from it's rookie class. Now, Sylvester Williams will start, and I'd bet Ball will, too, but Denver doesn't need them in order to be a top contender.

I'll go for the Browns.

Draft class

1st round LB Barkevious Mingo

3rd round CB Leon McFadden

6th round S Jamoris Slaughter

7th round DE Armonty Bryant

7th round OT/OG Garrett Gilkey

The only guy the Browns really need to start from this draft class is CB Leon McFadden.
Browns GM Mike Lombardi spoke at a banquet and answered some questions by reporters.

He was asked about McFadden.

He doesn't make the calls on who will or won't start but he framed his answer in a way where it appears that McFadden is the clear option to start at corner and the plan is that having an improved pass rush will offset the lack of expereince in starting a rookie CB.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top-stories/browns-general-manager-mike-lombardi-says-organization-has-eye-on-future-but-still-trying-to-win-now-1.397474

... The Browns recently drafted Leon McFadden in the third round to compete for the starting cornerback job opposite Joe Haden, and other young players, Tashaun Gipson, Eric Hagg and rookie sixth-round pick Jamoris Slaughter, are in the mix for the starting free safety job.

“In the defensive backfield, ideally we would like to keep getting some players, in terms of keep evaluating,” Lombardi said.

He also added, “You can play with young players [in the secondary] if you can rush the passer.”

since SD was already talked about Ill do the lions:

1 - Ziggy Ansah - has to start and play great, only real DE on the roster after losing Avril & Kyle VDB

2 - Darius Slay - needs to at least be a nickel, should be starting at the other CB postion opposite C.Houston, needs to beat out Bill Bentley

3 - Wofford - should be a starting OG

4 - drafted a DE , forget his name, wont start, will be a depth player

5 - Drafted a punter, should start

Users who are viewing this thread