What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 Baltimore Orioles Thread*** (1 Viewer)

avoiding injuries

Footballguy
This thread will also be known as the:

***Official 2009 Frederick Keys Thread***

***Official 2009 Bowie Baysox Thread***

***Official 2009 Norfolk Tides Thread***

... since that is where a lot of Baltimore fans will have their attention this year.

We have at least 1458 innings that we need pitched next year. Hendrickson could make the starting rotation, but we needed a long reliever. And at $1.5 million, I think it's a pretty good signing.

Good luck to Daniel Cabrera and the Nationals. His time was up in Baltimore.

The Orioles sign Koji Uehara

I've never heard of this guy, but then again, I don't live in Japan. At least it is a SP that we signed. Hopefully the contract isn't over the top since the man is going to be turning 34. Sounds like we're going after one of his friends too, Kenshin Kawakami. Whoever that is...

BALTIMORE -- Finally, the Orioles' starting rotation is beginning to come into focus. The Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday that the Orioles have reached an agreement on a two-year contract with Japanese free agent Koji Uehara, a deal that apparently hinges on some specific contractual language and a physical examination to be conducted later in the week.

The Orioles were not immediately able to confirm the report, but their pursuit of Uehara and fellow countryman Kenshin Kawakami has been well-documented. Baltimore's effort to sign Uehara may have been aided substantially by a preexisting relationship with agent Mark Pieper, who also represents second baseman Brian Roberts and former staff ace Erik Bedard.

Baltimore came into the offseason with just one rotation slot filled, and that's the one belonging to Jeremy Guthrie, who started for the Orioles on Opening Day of last season. Baltimore has also signed versatile veteran Mark Hendrickson this winter, a move that is designed to give the Orioles an experienced starter who can also relieve if the situation calls for it.

Uehara has that same type of pedigree, but the Orioles are looking at him solely as a starter. Uehera has spent his entire career with the Yomiuri Giants, and he served as a closer for part of the 2007 season. The veteran has won the Japanese equivalent of the Rookie of the Year and Cy Young Awards, and he'll turn 34 shortly before the '09 season begins.

Uehara has twice won the Sawamura Award, which is presented annually to the best starting pitcher in Japan. In fact, Uehara is one of just three pitchers -- along with Masaki Saito and Kazumi Saito -- who have won the award more than once over the last 20 years. Other notable winners include Kawakami, Hideo Nomo, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Kei Igawa and Yu Darvish.

The right-hander is an eight-time All-Star in his native land, and he earned that accolade in each of his first seven seasons. Uehara was also named as an All-Star in 2007, when he recorded 32 saves in his first season as a full-time reliever.

Uehara hasn't just starred in his homeland. He's also been a standout in international competition. He was a member of Japan's 2004 bronze-medal-winning Olympic team and also earned two victories in the inaugural World Baseball Classic, which was won by his nation. He also competed for Japan in the 2008 Olympics, earning a fourth-place finish.

The Orioles continue to search for rotation help, a hunt that has reportedly linked them to Kawakami and domestic free agents Tim Redding and Braden Looper. Baltimore decided not to tender a contract offer to Daniel Cabrera earlier in the winter, ending his five-year run in the rotation and leaving Guthrie as the only sure holdover from last year's starting staff.

Baltimore's decision-makers have said several times that they'd like to lessen the strain on the team's existing batch of pitching prospects, a desire that hinges on finding veterans who are ready to assume the job on Opening Day. The Orioles still have more than a month until Spring Training begins, and their staff should get some much needed clarity over the next few weeks.

What are the odds that Adam Jones tops 15/15 this year? 20/20?
I'm not sure. He missed 30 games during the 2nd half of the season with a foot injury. He was starting to hit pretty well when he got hurt. I think he would have been close to 15/15 had he stayed healthy.I'd say less than 15/15 this year is a disappointment and 20/20 is a really good year. He'll have Roberts, Markakis and Huff hitting around him(at least to start the season), so that should help.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
What's the scoop on Matt Wieters?There is that same buzz on him that there was on Mauer a few years back.Is it justified, or hype?
From everything I have heard, it is justified. He hit .345 in A and .365 in AA last year. The O's plan is to bring him into Spring Training and then keep him in AA or AAA for a couple of months. There is a certain date that if he is brought up after, his contract with the O's is extended another year. I think that date is in May or June. The O's are talking about bringing in a veteran catcher to start the season and then to help mentor Wieters when he gets up. IRod and Zaun are two names that have been discussed. It depends who is willing to take a back seat to Matt in the middle of the season.The Orioles have 3 high prospect pitchers in AA. The thought is that the O's will keep him in Bowie with that team so they can get some experience together for when they are all on the big club.Honestly, he is the most exciting thing to happen to the Orioles in years. I can't wait.

Honestly, he is the most exciting thing to happen to the Orioles in years. I can't wait.
Other than signing Cesar Izturis to play SS, you mean, right?Oh and is there any buzz up there in Charm City about getting Markakis signed up long-term? I'd hate to see him playing full time in Fenway or the Bronx in a year or two when he hits the FA market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, he is the most exciting thing to happen to the Orioles in years. I can't wait.
Other than signing Cesar Izturis to play SS, you mean, right?Oh and is there any buzz up there in Charm City about getting Markakis signed up long-term? I'd hate to see him playing full time in Fenway or the Bronx in a year or two when he hits the FA market.
Talks have been put on hold, but I'm hopeful that they will begin again soon. Andy McPhail has been doing a good job since he got here and I'm sure he knows this is a priority for most all Oriole fans.

Hopefully this goes through. It may be the best news possible for Oriole fans.

Orioles close to long term deal with Markakis

BALTIMORE -- Right fielder Nick Markakis and the Orioles may be approaching agreement on a six-year contract extension worth between $64-66 million, a source told The Baltimore Sun.

Team president Andy MacPhail told The Sun the sides had made "real progress" in talks recently, but he added, "We're not there yet."

Ideally, a deal would be reached by Tuesday, when players eligible for salary arbitration -- such as Markakis -- and their teams exchange proposed salary figures.

A six-year contract would keep Markakis with Baltimore through the 2014 season and stave off free agency, for which he becomes eligible after 2011.

If the source is correct, Markakis' contract will be among the richest in Orioles history. Shortstop Miguel Tejada signed for six years and $72 million in 2003, while outfielder Albert Belle received five years and $65 million in 1998.

MacPhail has called locking up Markakis to a multiyear deal one of his top priorities.

On a seperate note, I heard there is a deal almost in place to send Garrett Olson to the Cubs for Felix Pie.

Looks like it is official

The Orioles today announced that they have acquired OF FELIX PIE from the Chicago Cubs in exchange for LHP GARRETT OLSON and minor league RHP HENRY WILLIAMSON.

Pie, 23, batted .287 (96-335) in 85 games with Triple-A Iowa and .241 (20-83) in 43 games with Chicago last season. He was named the top prospect the in Cubs' minor league system by Baseball America in 2007 and 2006, appeared in the MLB Futures Games for the World teams from 2003 through 2005 and has batted .299 (752-2512) in 628 career minor league games.

A native of La Romana, Dominican Republic, Pie has appeared in a total of 130 major league games over the last two seasons, making his major league debut on April 17, 2007. He was originally signed by the Cubs as an undrafted free agent in 2001, making his professional debut the next year at the age of 17.

Olson, 25, was the Orioles second selection (sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd round) of the 2005 First Year Player Draft (48th overall) out of Cal Poly. He went 9-10 with a 6.65 ERA (132.2IP, 98ER) in 26 starts for the Orioles in 2008. The left-hander was 10-13 with a 6.87 ERA in 33 career starts for Baltimore.

Williamson, 23, was the Orioles' 14th round selection in the 2007 First Year Player Draft. He went 0-1 with 2 saves, a 3.72 ERA (29.0IP, 12ER) and 42 strikeouts in 20 games with Class-A Aberdeen (17 games) and Delmarva (3 games) in 2008

I don't know anything else about Pie than what was mentioned in the article above. To read that he was rated the Cubs #1 prospect in their minor league system in 2006 and 2007 sounds good to me. Interested to hear if anyone else knows more about him.

It finally looks like the Orioles are going in the right direction. Markakis, Jones, and Pie is already a great defensive outfield. They need to give Pie consistent at bats.

They still need to get younger, and need to look to trade Huff, Roberts, and Mora (doubtful there would be takers on Mora, but there should be interest in both Roberts and Huff). With Matt Wieters on his way, the young nucleus on offense (and equally important -defense), is starting to take shape.

There is zero pressure on the O's in the AL East, they should let their young players play every day, and spend alot of picks on developing young pitchers, like the Rays did.

I don't know anything else about Pie than what was mentioned in the article above. To read that he was rated the Cubs #1 prospect in their minor league system in 2006 and 2007 sounds good to me. Interested to hear if anyone else knows more about him.
Pie has been super-hype around here for the past 4 years as he was considered the Cubs elite talent. He has all the tools and puts it together in the minors but couldn't seem to crack it as an every day player for the Cubs. Center field was his to lose last year and he did just that. While he will play good "D" and can run....he will also strike out, a lot, and although he has the ability, won't make up for it in other categories. His issue is that he has this long loopy swing and from watching him last year, he thinks he's Soriano at the plate(take that for what you will)and he's not.....At least last year....once in a while when he tries to go opposite field he shortens it up pretty well, unfortunately he couldn't do that often enough and lost playing time to Reed Johnson and Jim Edmonds. Maybe he'll benefit from the change of scenery and help out the O's.I certainly hope that the trade on the Cubs part was all part of the "Peavy" plan. Otherwise McPhail certainly hustled the #### out of Jim Hendry on this one. Garrett Olsen's numbers are atrocious and I personally thought the Cubs could have done better. Maybe you can fill me in on this guy "avoiding injuries?"

Pie has been super-hype around here for the past 4 years as he was considered the Cubs elite talent. He has all the tools and puts it together in the minors but couldn't seem to crack it as an every day player for the Cubs. Center field was his to lose last year and he did just that. While he will play good "D" and can run....he will also strike out, a lot, and although he has the ability, won't make up for it in other categories. His issue is that he has this long loopy swing and from watching him last year, he thinks he's Soriano at the plate(take that for what you will)and he's not.....At least last year....once in a while when he tries to go opposite field he shortens it up pretty well, unfortunately he couldn't do that often enough and lost playing time to Reed Johnson and Jim Edmonds. Maybe he'll benefit from the change of scenery and help out the O's.I certainly hope that the trade on the Cubs part was all part of the "Peavy" plan. Otherwise McPhail certainly hustled the #### out of Jim Hendry on this one. Garrett Olsen's numbers are atrocious and I personally thought the Cubs could have done better. Maybe you can fill me in on this guy "avoiding injuries?"
Olsen sounds like he was our version of Pie. Although we've had a lot of slices that never seemed to work out. Had a lot of hype in the minors, but didn't do well at all in the Bigs. Playing on the O's during this rebuilding stage didn't help him any.He's a talented, big, left handed pitcher. Like you said, hopefully the change of scenery will work out for him and the Cubs. Never heard of the throw in guy.

I like the deal for the O's. Give Pie left field and hope he develops like they did with Jones last year. Olsen had the hype, but he never looked like he belonged in the majors, and the O's have plenty of options for the 3/4/5 spots (none all that great), but if Pie works out, the O's will have a great young outfield for years. Add in Wieters, and there does seem to be a nucleus they're trying to develop. Maybe they can do what TB did in a few years, at least that's the hope.

Wasn't Pie the guy who had to go on the IR last season with "anal fissures" or something equally painful sounding?

Brian Roberts appears to be signed to a 4 year contract.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- The ink isn't dry, but the deal appears to be done.

Second baseman Brian Roberts addressed the media regarding his impending four-year contract extension on Thursday, a four-year deal that will take him through the 2013 season. Roberts said that the process isn't completely finished on his $40 million extension, but he expressed relief that the negotiations are behind him.

"Obviously, it's fairly close to being done," Roberts said Thursday morning. "I think we're all excited about the possibility that it is [done]. It's been a long process, but hopefully in the end it works out and both sides are happy."

That potential deal will end two years of trade speculation surrounding Roberts, who last signed a two-year extension right before the 2007 season. And it will ensure continuity for the Orioles. Roberts, the second-longest serving member of the team, has been a starter for several seasons and has served as Baltimore's leadoff hitter.

"We're getting toward the pending physical stage," said Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail. "I haven't gotten any medical word yet on that."

Roberts still has to undergo a routine physical examination on Thursday, and the Orioles will likely announce the contract extension at a news conference on Friday. But the switch-hitter said he was happy to have it behind him and thrilled at the prospect of potentially spending his entire career with the same franchise.

"Another way to put it is you can't worry about your contract," the two-time All-Star said before Baltimore's first full-squad workout. "If something hadn't worked out, I still would've gone out, played and not worried about it. Everything would've taken care of itself at the right time. But given the circumstances, if it does work out the way we want it, it's a big relief for myself and my family. It's something we've put a lot of work, a lot of thought and a lot of effort into. Hopefully on both sides, everyone thinks this is the best for the organization, for myself and my family."

The timing, too, was important for Roberts, who didn't want to spend all spring negotiating a contract. And given the financial market, he didn't necessarily want to play out his deal and head to the open market, either. Now, Roberts will have a partial no-trade clause and the security to know where he'll be playing for the next few years.

"That was our goal from the outset, starting in October -- to be patient, to give us time to get what we wanted to get done and to have it done at a certain point," Roberts said. "I don't think it would've done either side much good to continue this process any farther than we had to. I went through it last spring and I it wasn't fun for either side."

Roberts has batted .285 or better in each of the past four years and has been in the league's top 10 in stolen bases in each of the previous six seasons. The Orioles have had 11 consecutive losing seasons, though, and Roberts said that he wanted to see the franchise begin to turn around before he made a long-term commitment to stay in Baltimore.

That process apparently began with the hiring of MacPhail, and was enhanced by the twin trades of Erik Bedard and Miguel Tejada. Then Roberts watched as the Orioles tweaked the roster at the margins this winter and extended right fielder Nick Markakis for six years and $66 million.

"I don't think I would've made the commitment to even begin negotiations if I didn't think that at some point in this process of the next four or five years that we'd have another chance to win," said Roberts of the team's transformation. "I hope people interpret it as the fact that we are going in the right direction. We're putting faith in the people in charge that we can get to that point. It's not going to be easy, especially in our division. But I think Tampa Bay and some other teams have proven that you can do it. It just takes the right pieces at the right time."

Perhaps no aspect of the team displays that better than two pieces MacPhail acquired this winter. The Orioles got Felix Pie and Rich Hill from the Cubs -- two potential cogs from a rumored Roberts deal of the past -- in exchange for Garrett Olson and a player to be named later. And best of all, they kept Roberts to play along with them.

That fact wasn't lost on Roberts, who spent last spring hearing his name in incessant trade rumors.

"I probably wouldn't have thought I'd be here at this point doing this, but God has a plan," Roberts said of that development. "I had no idea what it was then, but it's certainly a lot more clear now than it was then. ... You go through times in your life when there is an unknown. Everybody goes through that. You hopefully learn from that and go through new experiences. You tried to handle it the best way you can when you've never been through it. A year later, here we are."

"I'm glad I don't have to talk about whether he's going to get traded," added Baltimore manager Dave Trembley. "This whole offseason, I tried to tell everybody, 'I'm penciling him in. He's the second baseman and the leadoff hitter.' This just eases his mind [and] allows us all to move on to something else."

God's plan apparently is for Roberts to toil away for a last place team. The Life of Brian Part II

I went to FanFest this morning. A buddy of mine had a bunch of season ticket holder passes. I got to hear Andy McPhail and Dave Trembley give the Orioles "State of the Union Adress". It was really interesting and I particularly enjoyed hearing McPhails take on the vision of the Orioles future.

After that, they had autograph sessions with the players. They were broken down into 8 sections of 3 or 4 players. I had time to get through two sections and I sent my wife with buddy who went to two different sections. I got autographs from: Zaun, Bass and Markakis in the first section, Hendrickson, Johnson, Moehler and Adam Jones in the 2nd section. My wife got me Roberts and two others in her first, Huff, Freel, Wigginton and one other in her second.

Here are a couple of pictures I took.

Adam Jones

Nick Markakis

Akward story about Markakis. I had a Jersey for him to sign. While he was signing I said "Hopefully I'll see you in 20 years and you can add on HOF to this." (for Hall of Fame) He looked at me and said "What?". I repeated and he just gave me a blank stare and then started to sign for the next person. He either didn't hear me exactly, or thought I was a complete idiot. I'm hoping for the first.

...He ... thought I was a complete idiot. ...
Oh, you are giving him too much credit! :goodposting:Didn't get to see much of today's game but what I did see sure seemed to have Palmer and Thorne gushing over Jones. And despite looking a bit shaky today [after the homer] it was nice to see Chris Ray out there. I guess 2009 is the same as any other year this decade, the key is the pitching to not be used up as the Orioles hold their own through July, or June, or in some cases May. Hopefully the Orioles will return to their former surprise success in years ending in '9s ('69 and '79 unexpected trips to WS, and even the "Why Not" season of '89.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Roberts & Jones each reached base their first 4 times up yesterday.

This team will score runs. But as BFS says, starting pitching is their Achilles Heel. Recent history shows their short outings will fry the bullpen by the Break.

The game was great yesterday. Very fun afternoon and the most upbeat I've seen fans for an Orioles home opener in years. The area around Pickles was out of control. They also opened up a new bar at the bottom of the Hilton. They've turned the outside of the stadium into a very cool atmosphere.

Not only are Palmer and Thorne gushing over Jones, but Trembley and McPhail were the same way during Fan Fest. They called him the most likely candidate for "Most Improved Player" in AL this year.

Jones got on base 5 out of 5 times. He almost had an unbelievable over the shoulder catch that would have been a great highlight in his early career clips. I'm very excited to watch him play this year.

The game was great yesterday. Very fun afternoon and the most upbeat I've seen fans for an Orioles home opener in years. The area around Pickles was out of control. They also opened up a new bar at the bottom of the Hilton. They've turned the outside of the stadium into a very cool atmosphere.Not only are Palmer and Thorne gushing over Jones, but Trembley and McPhail were the same way during Fan Fest. They called him the most likely candidate for "Most Improved Player" in AL this year.Jones got on base 5 out of 5 times. He almost had an unbelievable over the shoulder catch that would have been a great highlight in his early career clips. I'm very excited to watch him play this year.
O's look really good. They're going to score plenty of runs.I was watching the game and my wife said that's one of the best looking parks she's seen.

Going to be great watching a line-up topped by Roberts, Jones, and Markakis and featuring Wieters a little lower, for the next 5 years.

no question that this team's starting pitching will be very bad this year, and that as a result Trembley will have blown up the bullpen by July. But maybe that's when Wieters and the first of the young arms begin to arrive.

They're still a couple of years away, but for the first time in a decade, they're at least that close. At least there's finally a blueprint you can point to and say, that's how the O's will make the playoffs. And that blueprint doesn't include names like Sosa or Cordova.

And I think Texieria was shocked by the booing, to the point it threw him off his game. He was beginning to realize that he basically can never hold his head high in his hometown again. The "Severna Park Hates You Tex" sign was particularly nasty, since that's where he grew up. But at least Boras got him $180M for 8 years instead of $140M for 7, because you never know when you're going to need the extra cash.

Hell, I wanted Tex here as badly as anyone but I don't begrudge him taking the $$ in NYC for one second. I'd have done the same damned thing.

It appears that 2010 & '11 will be when we see the good young pitchers arrive. I don't have a problem with holding them off a year or two, using a patchwork rotation this year. We've waited this long - I'd rather err on the side of caution this time around.

Once Weiters gets here, they really don't have any holes in their lineup. Izturis is decent enough career-wise and the rest are all either proven or getting ready to be proven.

Lol, I didn't see the Severna Park sign. That's great. I don't blame him for taking the money either, but I'm glad he got the treatment he did yesterday.

Are any of the young arms supposed to come up this year? I don't expect to see Matusz, Arrieta or Tillman. Maybe for some garbage innings in Spetember, but nothing significant.

Great first week of the season, but the bullpen's arms will be falling off by June this year, instead of post-All Star Break, as has been the case in recent years. Koji looked like he was throwing batting practice last night -- 80 mph "fast"ball with no movement in the center of the plate.

On the bright side, the top of the lineup is legit. Not sold on Pie, though he had a good night at the plate. I'm thinking he's the OF version of Daniel Cabrera -- a guy who can never harness all his natural ability and ends up hurting his team.

Hell, I wanted Tex here as badly as anyone but I don't begrudge him taking the $$ in NYC for one second. I'd have done the same damned thing.It appears that 2010 & '11 will be when we see the good young pitchers arrive. I don't have a problem with holding them off a year or two, using a patchwork rotation this year. We've waited this long - I'd rather err on the side of caution this time around.Once Weiters gets here, they really don't have any holes in their lineup. Izturis is decent enough career-wise and the rest are all either proven or getting ready to be proven.
I was reading the NY Post on the Yankees loss to the O's on Opening Day and the columinsts were making fun of O's fans for booing Tex, saying that the O's weren't even the second, third or 4th choice, so get over the booing. They also couldn't understand how the "putrid" and "abysmal" O's had the temerity to beat the Mighty Yankees 2 of 3.

I have no confidence in any SP outside of Guthrie. This Simon guy is horrible. Hard to believe he is on a ML team, let alone the #3. Lol

Maybe he's just a filler until Hill gets back. If so, I hope Hill will be an upgrade.

Seems to me they'd be better off starting this Sarfate cat and maybe even Baez

Trotting Adam Eaton out there is not much different than a forfeit

Simon could be the ace in Washington

What the hell man, are the O's going to pull Pie against every lefthander? He can strike out just as easily as Freel can.

I have no confidence in any SP outside of Guthrie. This Simon guy is horrible. Hard to believe he is on a ML team, let alone the #3. LolMaybe he's just a filler until Hill gets back. If so, I hope Hill will be an upgrade.
Is there any way Ray can be turned into a starter? And I agree with Zilla on Sarfate & Baez - if the starters keep on like they are, they have to try some other options or everyone in the BP will be on the DL.

After exactly 5 percent of the season, here are some early thoughts.

Jones is breaking out this year, and the O's line-up is legit and going to get better. Right now, a bottom third of Zaun-Pie-Izturis doesn't scare anyone, but Luke Scott would be a solid #7 hitter. I'd bat him behind Wieters to give the rookie a little protection in the lineup.

1. Roberts

2. Jones

3. Markakis

4. Huff

5. Mora/Wigginton

6. Wieters

7. Scott

8. Pie

9. Izturis

Not sold on Pie -- at the plate or in the field, but am willing to go with it for now. Izturis is a difference-maker with his glove.

The bullpen is solid, but Sherill should not be the closer. He is a plus as a set-up/leftie guy, but a minus as closer. Johnson has the best stuff, but is too valuable to move from his current role. Make Ray the closer, keep Sarfate as middle innings guy, keep Johnson as the swingman, and use Sherrill situationally.

Starting pitching is a disaster. You know things are bad when you're holding out hope that Rich Hill will be a major upgrade. I have been disappointed with Koji -- thought he would have Maddux-like control to make up for his limited stuff. Instead he walks guys, then throws BP fastballs when runners get on base.

If this team can compete for another month, things are going to get very interesting for McPhail. Is he going to be a buyer instead of a seller? Can some young arms come up and improeve the staff? Will he be willing to trade one of the blue chip prospects for a legit starter if the O's can hang in the race until the All-Star Break?

Another week or two like the last week, and the O's will start to remind me of last year's Ravens -- a team supposedly looking to the future who suddenly found the future is now. That being said, this team will implode if nothing is done to help the starting pitching -- the bullpen will fall apart at this rate of work.

As much as I love seeing the O's win, I don't want them to mortgage the future to try and compete this year. As good as the lineup appears to be, there are too many holes to be a contender for the whole season.

McPhail said at the FanFest that the O's are not and would not be interested in Pedro. Said he is a guy who is established and has his own routine that would seperate him from the team. That does not mix well with the atmosphere the club is looking for. What's the deal with Sheets? Maybe a late addition if his rehab goes well.

Oh my, 6-2 to 6-7 in the blink of an eye.

Birds come back home to try and snap the losing streak.

Tonight, they are bringing out Brian Bergesen to make his major league debut. Bergesen was the Orioles minor league pitcher of the year last season. We really need some improvement on the mound and I hope he can provide us with some.

Jones should be back in the lineup tonight. My opinion, but Pie should not see the field unless something drastic happens to everyone else on the roster.

Freel landed on the DL and Montanez is back with the club. I like this Montanez kid and would enjoy seeing some production out of our LF position.

And I think Texieria was shocked by the booing, to the point it threw him off his game. He was beginning to realize that he basically can never hold his head high in his hometown again. The "Severna Park Hates You Tex" sign was particularly nasty, since that's where he grew up. But at least Boras got him $180M for 8 years instead of $140M for 7, because you never know when you're going to need the extra cash.
While I would like to see Tex booed out of the ballpark again tonight, I'm afraid it probably won't happen -- unless it's by Yankees fans taking over Camden Yards who are fed up with his .198 batting average. Hey, maybe Tex can bring Baltimore and New York fans together in a single cause.We'll see. I just think there won't be that passionate level of hate there was back in the season's opening series.

Team looks like they are coming together. Rookie pitchers are really making an impact. With Wieters replacing Zaun and Izturis picking it up, the lineup doesn't have a "hole" like it did in the beginning of the season.

I was at the game tonight and was hopiong to see Wieters get his first hit. Oh well, the electricity that was in the air tonight was mainly because of him. Although Luke Scott did take over the night.

Still at the bottom of the standings, but the Os have won 5 in a row - including the last 3 against the champs in nailbiters.

Don't know that I have ever paid less attention to baseball than this year. I doubt that I watched 10 games, including the two I attended. Never believed that this could happen to me.

so sad. Ravens have now won three games since the NFL season started, while the O's have won twice in that stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread