What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2009 Philadelphia Eagles Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Zoomanji said:
I’m a diehard Eagles fan and a long time subscriber and fan of Sirius NFL Radio. Having said that, I am guilty of listening to 610 and 950 at times because I just can’t get enough Birds talk. Also, when Bam Bam from Missouri is going on for 10 minutes about the Chiefs offensive line, I just can’t take NFL radio anymore and have to switch channels. But yes, 610 and 950 stink for the most part.

Now on to the real talk. Very pumped about the draft and offseason trades and free agent signings. We should definitely be in contention again, we just need to get over that hump. Not to slam Reid, but I just don’t know if he’s smart enough to outcoach many other coaches in a big game. But I’m very pumped for the season and can’t wait to cheer on the home team. If we can land Scheffler for a 3rd or 4th round pick I’m totally fine with that. Dude is a stud if he can stay on the field (I know, big if).
At least he's better than Adrian from the 'burg :unsure: Thanks god for Sirius. No 610 or 950 for me :lmao:
Did you guys hear Bam Bam almost drop the "F" bomb when the Chiefs traded Gonzo? Rock told him to go with it a later in the conversation :)

The reasons that those players were cut probably have more to do with the salary cap then anything else. I read they were a little over $1M under the cap.

Cutting one of your starting CBs for cap reasons usually doesn't happen. I didn't realize they had signed Bryant McFadden though, I guess they're going with him?

From Rotoworld:

The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.

It's not known what the details of the trade were, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.

From Rotoworld:The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.It's not known what the details of the trade were, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.
:thumbdown:

From Rotoworld:The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.It's not known what the details of the trade were, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.
:kicksrock:
That's the best, and I love the postering these teams do as the Giants did with their pick saying we love his size yadda yadda yadda.Did anyone notice who LeSean McCoy's agent was? He was standing right next to him when LeSean got the call in. "No comment" for anyone who may have missed thatAlso why must ESPN cut to the kid getting the phone call from the team moments before Godell or even Tagliabue back in the day walks to the podium and makes the pick. It kills all the suspense of who that pick will be. I knew Maclin was the pick, becuase he was on the phone with the biggest grin imaginable. NFL Network doesn't do it, why do they? I think it makes for bad TV but that's just me

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignatius Reilly said:
Also why must ESPN cut to the kid getting the phone call from the team moments before Godell or even Tagliabue back in the day walks to the podium and makes the pick. It kills all the suspense of who that pick will be. I knew Maclin was the pick, becuase he was on the phone with the biggest grin imaginable. NFL Network doesn't do it, why do they? I think it makes for bad TV but that's just me
:lol: I was watching on ESPN at a friends house (he has comcast) and it totally killed the dramaI guess they're trying to be the 1st to report it and were just concerned about getting it out there a minute quicker than NFL network.

Ignatius Reilly said:
Also why must ESPN cut to the kid getting the phone call from the team moments before Godell or even Tagliabue back in the day walks to the podium and makes the pick. It kills all the suspense of who that pick will be. I knew Maclin was the pick, becuase he was on the phone with the biggest grin imaginable. NFL Network doesn't do it, why do they? I think it makes for bad TV but that's just me
:unsure: I was watching on ESPN at a friends house (he has comcast) and it totally killed the dramaI guess they're trying to be the 1st to report it and were just concerned about getting it out there a minute quicker than NFL network.
ESPN has been doing this since the Tagliabue days, annyos the hell out of me. If I had NFL Network I'd watch it there.

Ignatius Reilly said:
:lol: I was watching on ESPN at a friends house (he has comcast) and it totally killed the dramaI guess they're trying to be the 1st to report it and were just concerned about getting it out there a minute quicker than NFL network.
ESPN has been doing this since the Tagliabue days, annyos the hell out of me. If I had NFL Network I'd watch it there.
Eh, NFLN isn't much different. They might not have had as many on-site cameras but they did it for several picks (Sanchez comes to mind). And last year, Scheffler was calling out each pick as Goodell was walking up.

phillyfan72 said:
From Rotoworld:

The Giants reportedly had a deal worked out with the Lions that would have allowed them to move up to the 20th pick to select WR Jeremy Maclin.

It's not known what the details of the trade were, but it likely involved the No. 29 pick and an addition early-round selection. The deal was contingent on Maclin being available at No. 20, and was foiled when the Eagles traded up one slot ahead to grab him.
That is so awesome - Lovin' It! I found another link on it as well:http://www.detnews.com/article/20090429/SP...-pick-to-Giants

It's surprising that the Giants didn't try to work out a deal with Cleveland directly to move up to 19, or maybe they did and they weren't offering enough or Clev didn't want to drop down to 29? Whatever it was, its great that they couldn't get it done. I thought I liked the Maclin pick before, but this makes it even better :no:

phillyfan72 said:
From Rotoworld:

That is so awesome - Lovin' It! I found another link on it as well:http://www.detnews.com/article/20090429/SP...-pick-to-Giants

It's surprising that the Giants didn't try to work out a deal with Cleveland directly to move up to 19, or maybe they did and they weren't offering enough or Clev didn't want to drop down to 29? Whatever it was, its great that they couldn't get it done. I thought I liked the Maclin pick before, but this makes it even better :2cents:
i bet that's it. this is awesome news. Giants would have had to give up too much to jump that far.

phillyfan72 said:
From Rotoworld:

It's surprising that the Giants didn't try to work out a deal with Cleveland directly to move up to 19, or maybe they did and they weren't offering enough or Clev didn't want to drop down to 29? Whatever it was, its great that they couldn't get it done. I thought I liked the Maclin pick before, but this makes it even better :lmao:
i bet that's it. this is awesome news. Giants would have had to give up too much to jump that far.
My buddy said they knew a few teams tried to trade up, by I'm betting that no where in their wildest dreams did they think it was NYG they were screwing over!

During the draft I remember in the FBG Draft thread there were guys that were :blackdot: at the fact that the Eagles leapfrogged the Lions to take Maclin. For a 5th rd pick I thought it was a no brainer at the time. Even better now in light of this info.

I just realized that there could be times where Cornelius Ingram, L. McCoy, Westbrook, Maclin, and Desean Jackson can all be on the field together. Can you imagine the mismatches? Is it a base set with 2 RB's or a 5 WR set with all kinds of playmakers? I'm excited. Throw in Leonard Weaver, Reggie Brown, Baskett, Celek. So many different personnel groupings for DC's to defend...McNabb's the only one that needs to know them all, keep it simple with the young guys- give them a few sets to play in, use the vets in others.

My local paper is reporting that Shaun Andrews will move to RT and his brother Stacy will move inside to play guard. Shaun is light years ahead in talent if his head is on straight. If Andrews is mentally squared away and Peters decides to play hard to earn that new contract, this could easily be a top three offensive line.

Link: http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/nick-fierr...gles_offen.html
Starting to get exited about our O for next year. I hope McCoy can put on a little weight and get stronger. He already has great instincts and quickness.

My local paper is reporting that Shaun Andrews will move to RT and his brother Stacy will move inside to play guard. Shaun is light years ahead in talent if his head is on straight. If Andrews is mentally squared away and Peters decides to play hard to earn that new contract, this could easily be a top three offensive line.

Starting to get exited about our O for next year. I hope McCoy can put on a little weight and get stronger. He already has great instincts and quickness.
According to Philadelphiaeagles.com McCoy weighed in at 211

Don't really want to get into an argument but NFL has him listed at 197 and when you see the guy without pads he looks lighter than that. His lack of size was the main reason he lasted to the bottom of the second. Right now he is almost the exact same size as Lorenzo Booker. (just checked Philadelphiaeagles.com they have McCoy listed at 198 and Booker at 191) Same height.

Read the camp notes from Friday and he did weigh in at 211. Seems like he is already trying to add some weight. 211 would be great.

Don't really want to get into an argument but NFL has him listed at 197 and when you see the guy without pads he looks lighter than that. His lack of size was the main reason he lasted to the bottom of the second. Right now he is almost the exact same size as Lorenzo Booker. (just checked Philadelphiaeagles.com they have McCoy listed at 198 and Booker at 191) Same height.
He does look undersized.....good news is he's only 20 so he should fill out in the next couple years. Hopefully Westy can give us at least 2 more good years.

Dave Spadero's mini camp observations from PhiladelphiaEagles.com

* Interesting non-commital from head coach Andy Reid regarding the right offensive tackle position. With Stacy Andrews recovering from his knee surgery -- and doing well -- and with Todd Herrremans out after having his knee cleaned up, the Eagles shuffled things around on the offensive line. Mike McGlynn played left guard and Shawn Andrews played right tackle, with Nick Cole at right guard. Stacy Andrews, it has been largely assumed, would play right tackle. I still think he will, but it certainly is not a slam dunk. Shawn Andrews would love to slide out there, too, and after watching his tremendous footwork and technique, I think Shawn Andrews could star at right tackle. It's nice to have options.

* Anyway, Andrews was very positive after the second practice about how he felt and about how excited he is to be here after last season's tough experience. And when asked how he thought things would work out and where he would play this season, Andrews said, "I think there is a very good chance, if I keep improving, which I will -- the big key factor is staying healthy -- that I'll be at tackle." Things that make you go hmmm ...

* One player who stood out was rookie tight end Cornelius Ingram. He caught all but one pass thrown his way in the two practices and really went out and plucked the throws. He seemed to use his body well and he showed plenty of speed and quickness to get open. "Man, that cat can catch the ball," said former Eagle and current FOX Philadelphia (and WIP Sportsradio host) Hugh Douglas after watching Ingram catch a Kevin Kolb bullet in the afternoon. "That pass had some stank on it. He's going to be a big help. I can see that already." We shall see, but there is no doubt that Ingram had a good first day. He has some natural pass-catching skills that stand out immediately.

* Quintin Demps started at free safety and Quintin Mikell started at strong safety. Rashad Baker played with the second team at free safety, along with Sean Jones at strong safety. Jones made a nice pass breakup over the middle in the afternoon session. Macho Harris was the third-team free safety in the afternoon.

* Victor Abiamiri and Juqua Parker split first-team reps at left defensive end.

* Kolb threw the ball extremely well. Donovan McNabb looked outstanding and A.J. Feeley looked good. And, let's be honest: There is no pass rush. They should all look good, and they did.

* Strong first day for No. 1 pick Jeremy Maclin, who shows excellent sharpness in his route running and strong, confident hands. He reaches out and catches everything.

* Shady McCoy weighed in at 211 pounds on Friday. "Things are coming along real well. Fast tempo, but I like that," said McCoy, who looked outstanding in practice. "You have to get in your playbook a lot. That's the biggest difference. This is all football."

* Jason Peters is a beast. Great body, terrific feet. He looks like he has it all. Of course, this is me talking after seeing him for one whole day of non-tackling practice. Not that I'm leaping to conclusions or anything ...

* Macho Harris had a welcome-to-the-NFL moment in the afternoon practice when he lined up across from DeSean Jackson and Jackson blew right past Harris with an inside move and was ggggggoooonne for a long touchdown catch and run.

* Play of the day came in the bubble when McNabb threw a strike to Reggie Brown on a "go" route to beat cornerback Asante Samuel. Now, Samuel and McNabb and the offense engage in good-natured woofing throughout every practice, and after this play wide receivers coach David Culley ran down the field and laughingly taunted Samuel. Good fun for all. That's the kind of chemistry that is being built here. Samuel, by the way, also had an interception and a TD return of a McNabb pass, so I guess they were kind of even in the end.

* It's very difficult to make any kind of observations about the defense in this camp. If you can't hit, you can't very well play defense. So, we'll wait until later to discuss much. There were some good battles when the receivers went up against the secondary in the afternoon, and Mikell made a nice breakup of a pass for Ingram.

* Maclin will benefit by Curtis' absence as he will get more reps. The Eagles moved Maclin to both sides of the formation in the two practices.

* Leonard Weaver has excellent hands and is going to be an option in the passing game and, really, in the running game. He is so athletic for a big guy.

It's scary to think that this team was so close to the Super Bowl last year, and it seems like they will be so much better this year. Weaver, Maclin, Peters, McCoy, and both the Andrews brothers....what a difference a year makes.

Why is Curtis absent?

Hugh sure is a consummate broadcast professional with his player assessment, huh?
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...s_sideline.htmlEagles' injured Curtis catches sideline

By Jeff McLane

Inquirer Staff Writer

Kevin Curtis sat out the first day of the Eagles' minicamp yesterday and won't practice at least until next month's voluntary workouts as he recovers from sports hernia surgery performed last month.

In August, the wide receiver had initial surgery to partially correct the injury. He missed the first six games of the season and returned by late October. But off-season rehabilitation didn't fully heal the problem, and Curtis went under the knife on April 15.

"It's been a couple of weeks, and it feels really good," Curtis said. "I'm sure I'll be ready in June."

Curtis had 77 catches in 2007, second only to Brian Westbrook among the Eagles. With Curtis still on the mend, the other pass catchers were sharp yesterday.

Some fans might have preferred to see Anquan Boldin, Braylon Edwards or Chad Ocho Cinco in camp, but trades for those veterans did not happen.

The Eagles chose wide receiver Jeremy Maclin 19th overall and used a fifth-round pick on tight end Cornelius Ingram in hopes of improving the offense.

"This obviously was a passing camp, because you can't work on the run game much here," coach Andy Reid said of the sessions that had players in helmets but no pads. "But there weren't a lot of balls on the ground."

A lot of that had to do with Maclin, who earned his keep during his first official day as a professional. The rookie out of Missouri ran with each unit, looked very natural, and at one point beat cornerback Ellis Hobbs on a deep fade during 7-on-7 passing drills.

"I'm definitely tired," Maclin said. "But I feel pretty confident. I'm going to take coaching, because I'm a coachable guy. And I'm going to use it to get better."

For quarterback Donovan McNabb, who has asked for more playmakers, it had to feel like taking the wheel of a new locomotive, though McNabb declined to talk to the media.

"We added another crazy, talented guy," Curtis said. "We lose Greg [Lewis] . . . but I think it's just going to make us better as a corps."

Maclin doesn't come from a West Coast-style offense as receiver DeSean Jackson did when he left California to join the Eagles last season. There will be a learning curve, but as Reid said the "timeline is you get ready right now."

"I'm starting to pick up on it," Maclin said. "Everything they say is fast, fast, fast. They want speed, speed, speed. Once you eliminate the thinking, you can go that much faster."

Said Jackson: "If you're a smart dude you can come in and get it done."

The Eagles carried six receivers last season. Only Lewis is gone. Hank Baskett, Jason Avant and Reggie Brown join Jackson and Curtis as returnees – for now. Brown did not dress for the NFC championship game last season and has not hidden his dissatisfaction with his decreased role.

"You want to get out there and tell everyone how you feel," Brown said. "I'm taking a different approach."

The 2005 second-round selection wouldn't say if he asked for a trade. Asked if he was surprised he hadn't been moved elsewhere, Brown said, "I see myself as a nice little package – hard to give away."

After increasing his receptions in each of his first three seasons, Brown had only 18 catches in 10 games last year. That partly had to do with Jackson's emergence. He had 62 receptions for 912 yards.

Reid said he thought Maclin handled his first day with aplomb. However, there was one bad habit the coaches corrected right away.

"They say I glide," Maclin said. "So I'm going to try and stop gliding. . . . I'm going to go full speed everywhere I go from now on."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...?cmpid=16339736

The news on Jim Johnson has been sparse this offseason (and thats certainly his prerogative) but I gather from this article that he's doing pretty well with his cancer.

"It's still Jim Johnson's defense.

That was the message sent by Eagles coach Andy Reid at the NFL owners' meetings five weeks ago and confirmed by Johnson at this weekend's post-draft camp.

Johnson, the only defensive coordinator to ever work for Reid, is simultaneously fighting the melanoma skin cancer that has attacked his back and devising plans for the 2009 Eagles defense.

One of those plans is to replace the legendary Brian Dawkins with Quintin Demps at free safety, a somewhat surprising decision given that the Eagles signed free agent Sean Jones, an experienced starter at safety with the Cleveland Browns.

"I like Quintin Demps a lot," Johnson said after the team's morning workout yesterday at the NovaCare Complex. "Of course, you know how I feel about Dawkins. . . . But I do like Quintin Demps, and I think the guy loves to play football and he has that same enthusiasm like Dawk does. Dawk is a special guy, there's no question about it. But I do like the way Demps is playing, so I feel pretty good there as far as safety goes."

The article goes on about the NFC championship game... but i dont think we need to rehash that...

The Eagles' Draft - Love from SI / Peter King

I didn't want to let the draft go away completely without telling you what I feel is the most underrated and unknown story of draft weekend. I didn't notice it until I started piecing together all the trades from Day 2 of the draft, starting with the Giants' deal with Philadelphia that allowed New York to pick wide receiver Ramses Barden with a choice in the middle of the third round. But the upshot of that trade, and four others within five hours, left the Eagles as the power players in the 2010 draft. What would you think if I told you the Philadelphia Eagles got third-, fifth-, sixth- and seventh-round draft choices, plus half a starting cornerback for nothing in this year's draft?

That's right. For free. There is no smoke, mirrors or cheating involved. Only thought and effort.

For moving down six spots in the third round -- eventually taking a player they were considering for that 85th pick anyway -- the Eagles got filthy rich. I am shocked more teams don't run their draft the way the Eagles do. It's almost irresponsible that teams don't do it the Philadelphia way.

"Actually, I'm happy more teams don't,'' said Tom Heckert, the Eagles general manager. "If more teams did, we wouldn't be able to do what we do.''

This may come out the wrong way, so bear with me. But if I were a football fan looking for a team to root for, I'd pick the Eagles, and what they did on draft weekend is a big reason. The Eagles think. They don't do things the way they've always been done because that's the way they've always been done. For all the frustrations they've given their fans because they haven't won a championship in the 10-year Andy Reid Era, they've done what, as a fan, I'd like my team to do: They give their fans a chance every July at camp time to think they're going to make the playoffs and have a chance to contend for the Super Bowl. Isn't that what you want, as a fan? A chance, every year? What team every year in this decade has given you that chance? Philadelphia. New England. Indianapolis. Pittsburgh. The Giants, maybe.

But what the Eagles did on the second day of the draft -- still unnoticed eight days later; no one's said a word about it -- is one of the greatest feats of trading down and getting value for the future that I've ever seen. And I mean ever. They took the 85th pick and eventually turned it into four draft choices between the third and seventh rounds, plus half of the compensation paid to New England to acquire Ellis Hobbs, a Super Bowl XLII starting corner.

What Heckert and Reid did, in brief:

• Traded the 85th overall pick (third round) to the Giants for the 91st (third-round) and the 164th (fifth-round) picks.

• Traded the 91st pick to Seattle for the 137th (fifth-round), 213th (seventh-round) and the Seahawks' third-round pick in 2010.

• Traded the fifth-round pick acquired from Seattle plus the 141st pick (fifth-round, acquired from Cleveland) to New England for cornerback Hobbs.

• Traded the fifth-round pick acquired from the Giants to New Orleans for the 222nd pick (seventh-round), plus the Saints' fifth-round pick in 2010.

• Traded the seventh-round pick acquired from New Orleans to Indianapolis for the Colts' sixth-round pick in 2010.

• Used the seventh-round pick acquired from Seattle to pick guard Paul Fanaika.

Let's go back to my original premise in this column: I said the Eagles got all that for free. I meant it. When the time to make the third-round pick (No. 85 overall) was approaching, the Eagles looked up on their draft board. They had about 30 players graded very closely. Heckert told me if they'd been forced to pick the 25th player on the list, they'd have been fine, because these 30 players all had second- or third-round grades, so by the Eagles' system, even the 25th player on the list would be a solid third-rounder and worthy of a pick around then.

One of the players on the list of 30-some-odd prospects for the 85th pick when the board was put together was Cornelius Ingram, a 6-foot-5, 245-pound tight end from Florida who missed his senior year after suffering a knee injury in practice for the Gators last August. Now fully rehabbed, Ingram was "right at the top'' of the list of 30, Heckert told me.

Let me take you from the middle of the third round to the middle of the fifth, pick by Eagle pick, to see how they decided to keep moving down -- and the insurance they had to stop the moving-down madness if too many of their preferred players started going off the board.

At 85, and then again at 91, Philadelphia had so many players it wanted on the board that Heckert quick-dialed "almost every team in the league'' in the 80s, getting the Giants to move up six spots, then finding Seattle desperate for the 91st pick, which the 'Hawks would use on Penn State wide receiver Deon Butler. Heckert drove a hard bargain for this one, trading down 46 spots but picking up an extra seven this year and a three next year.

"Before the draft,'' he said, "we met as an organization, and we knew the 12 draft picks we had all would not make our team. So we agreed -- [owner] Jeff Lurie, [president] Joe Banner, Andy and me -- that we'd try to push for a few picks in next year's draft. First, we called everybody in the round without a pick, then just called everybody period. And finally we got [seattle GM] Tim Ruskell to agree to a deal because he wanted Deon Butler.''

At 137, the Eagles still had about 10 of their gaggle of 30 picks left. And a veteran player appealed to them. They saw the Patriots take, and keep, two corners from the 2008 draft, and now, in the second round of this draft, they saw Bill Belichick take UConn cornerback Darius Butler. "We knew the Patriots signed Shawn Springs too, so we said, 'Let's try to get Ellis Hobbs from them.' We talked, Andy and Bill, and Bill didn't want to do it. But a while later we called again, and maybe they thought there was a chance they were going to lose him anyway. I don't know. But a starting cornerback for two fives -- we just couldn't turn that down.''

But now they really wanted Ingram. And the picks ticked by. The Packers at 145, Ravens at 149 and Texans at 152 were candidates to pick a tight end. Would they steal Ingram -- and would the Eagles have gambled too much and traded down one too many times to keep Ingram in their sights? Green Bay took a fullback. Baltimore picked a tight end, Davon Drew of East Carolina. Houston picked a tight end, James Casey of Rice.

The Eagles draft room exhaled. They picked Ingram.

Eleven picks later, without a guy on the board who surely would make their team, Philly flipped the pick to New Orleans for a seven and a 2010 fifth-rounder. And midway through the seventh, they dealt their choice to Indy for a 2010 sixth.

"We talk about it all the time -- if you deal a seventh for next year's sixth, then stay aggressive, eventually that seventh could become a first,'' Heckert said. "Even if it doesn't, and that's obviously a best-case scenario, it opens up so many possibilities to keep moving.''

I can't imagine a team that helped itself more on offense in April than Philadelphia. It got a left tackle of the future, Jason Peters, for first- and fifth-round picks in this draft, took speedy wideout Jeremy Maclin and pass-catching back LeSean McCoy and a good tight end risk in Ingram coming off injury. Next year, who knows what part of the team the churning of draft choices will help?

Thanks for posting that Jeff. I was pretty focused on the Braylon and Anquan rumors and was definitely scratching my head a few times during the draft but that put most of it into perspective.

I didn't want to let the draft go away completely without telling you what I feel is the most underrated and unknown story of draft weekend. I didn't notice it until I started piecing together all the trades from Day 2 of the draft, starting with the Giants' deal with Philadelphia that allowed New York to pick wide receiver Ramses Barden with a choice in the middle of the third round. But the upshot of that trade, and four others within five hours, left the Eagles as the power players in the 2010 draft. What would you think if I told you the Philadelphia Eagles got third-, fifth-, sixth- and seventh-round draft choices, plus half a starting cornerback for nothing in this year's draft?

That's right. For free. There is no smoke, mirrors or cheating involved. Only thought and effort.

For moving down six spots in the third round -- eventually taking a player they were considering for that 85th pick anyway -- the Eagles got filthy rich. I am shocked more teams don't run their draft the way the Eagles do. It's almost irresponsible that teams don't do it the Philadelphia way.

"Actually, I'm happy more teams don't,'' said Tom Heckert, the Eagles general manager. "If more teams did, we wouldn't be able to do what we do.''

This may come out the wrong way, so bear with me. But if I were a football fan looking for a team to root for, I'd pick the Eagles, and what they did on draft weekend is a big reason. The Eagles think. They don't do things the way they've always been done because that's the way they've always been done. For all the frustrations they've given their fans because they haven't won a championship in the 10-year Andy Reid Era, they've done what, as a fan, I'd like my team to do: They give their fans a chance every July at camp time to think they're going to make the playoffs and have a chance to contend for the Super Bowl. Isn't that what you want, as a fan? A chance, every year? What team every year in this decade has given you that chance? Philadelphia. New England. Indianapolis. Pittsburgh. The Giants, maybe.

But what the Eagles did on the second day of the draft -- still unnoticed eight days later; no one's said a word about it -- is one of the greatest feats of trading down and getting value for the future that I've ever seen. And I mean ever. They took the 85th pick and eventually turned it into four draft choices between the third and seventh rounds, plus half of the compensation paid to New England to acquire Ellis Hobbs, a Super Bowl XLII starting corner.

• Traded the 85th overall pick (third round) to the Giants for the 91st (third-round) and the 164th (fifth-round) picks.

• Traded the 91st pick to Seattle for the 137th (fifth-round), 213th (seventh-round) and the Seahawks' third-round pick in 2010.

• Traded the fifth-round pick acquired from Seattle plus the 141st pick (fifth-round, acquired from Cleveland) to New England for cornerback Hobbs.

• Traded the fifth-round pick acquired from the Giants to New Orleans for the 222nd pick (seventh-round), plus the Saints' fifth-round pick in 2010.

• Traded the seventh-round pick acquired from New Orleans to Indianapolis for the Colts' sixth-round pick in 2010.

Let's go back to my original premise in this column: I said the Eagles got all that for free. I meant it. When the time to make the third-round pick (No. 85 overall) was approaching, the Eagles looked up on their draft board. They had about 30 players graded very closely. Heckert told me if they'd been forced to pick the 25th player on the list, they'd have been fine, because these 30 players all had second- or third-round grades, so by the Eagles' system, even the 25th player on the list would be a solid third-rounder and worthy of a pick around then.

One of the players on the list of 30-some-odd prospects for the 85th pick when the board was put together was Cornelius Ingram, a 6-foot-5, 245-pound tight end from Florida who missed his senior year after suffering a knee injury in practice for the Gators last August. Now fully rehabbed, Ingram was "right at the top'' of the list of 30, Heckert told me.

Let me take you from the middle of the third round to the middle of the fifth, pick by Eagle pick, to see how they decided to keep moving down -- and the insurance they had to stop the moving-down madness if too many of their preferred players started going off the board.

At 85, and then again at 91, Philadelphia had so many players it wanted on the board that Heckert quick-dialed "almost every team in the league'' in the 80s, getting the Giants to move up six spots, then finding Seattle desperate for the 91st pick, which the 'Hawks would use on Penn State wide receiver Deon Butler. Heckert drove a hard bargain for this one, trading down 46 spots but picking up an extra seven this year and a three next year.

"Before the draft,'' he said, "we met as an organization, and we knew the 12 draft picks we had all would not make our team. So we agreed -- [owner] Jeff Lurie, [president] Joe Banner, Andy and me -- that we'd try to push for a few picks in next year's draft. First, we called everybody in the round without a pick, then just called everybody period. And finally we got [seattle GM] Tim Ruskell to agree to a deal because he wanted Deon Butler.''

At 137, the Eagles still had about 10 of their gaggle of 30 picks left. And a veteran player appealed to them. They saw the Patriots take, and keep, two corners from the 2008 draft, and now, in the second round of this draft, they saw Bill Belichick take UConn cornerback Darius Butler. "We knew the Patriots signed Shawn Springs too, so we said, 'Let's try to get Ellis Hobbs from them.' We talked, Andy and Bill, and Bill didn't want to do it. But a while later we called again, and maybe they thought there was a chance they were going to lose him anyway. I don't know. But a starting cornerback for two fives -- we just couldn't turn that down.''

But now they really wanted Ingram. And the picks ticked by. The Packers at 145, Ravens at 149 and Texans at 152 were candidates to pick a tight end. Would they steal Ingram -- and would the Eagles have gambled too much and traded down one too many times to keep Ingram in their sights? Green Bay took a fullback. Baltimore picked a tight end, Davon Drew of East Carolina. Houston picked a tight end, James Casey of Rice.

Eleven picks later, without a guy on the board who surely would make their team, Philly flipped the pick to New Orleans for a seven and a 2010 fifth-rounder. And midway through the seventh, they dealt their choice to Indy for a 2010 sixth.

"We talk about it all the time -- if you deal a seventh for next year's sixth, then stay aggressive, eventually that seventh could become a first,'' Heckert said. "Even if it doesn't, and that's obviously a best-case scenario, it opens up so many possibilities to keep moving.''

I can't imagine a team that helped itself more on offense in April than Philadelphia. It got a left tackle of the future, Jason Peters, for first- and fifth-round picks in this draft, took speedy wideout Jeremy Maclin and pass-catching back LeSean McCoy and a good tight end risk in Ingram coming off injury. Next year, who knows what part of the team the churning of draft choices will help?
Very good read - But I would kind of rather they kept their drafting "genius" process to themselves. I'm sure in the grand scheme it's not a big deal as all teams are trying to maximize draft value, teams have different needs/agendas, but where's the upside of contributing quotes to a "Look at how great we are!" article? We have to deal with these other "inferior" teams in future drafts. Again, probably not a huge deal overall, but I'd rather they just fly under the radar with this kind of stuff instead of putting a huge spotlight on themselves.

Was just coming here to post that article. I'll admit it, they do seem to have their #### together in most cases. And they might have actually finally listened to (fans? McNabb? Mrs Reid?) and got some more weapons. I still think they should've have kept Dawk as his leadership is priceless. And I still think they play by the numbers too often, thus creating a lot of p.o.'d, yet still talented players on their roster. But, i am actually becoming optimistic on next season. I'm sure i'll have a typical blow up at some point when mcnabb loses his lunch at the 50, or when Reid calls 7 straight pass plays inside the opponents red zone, but for now i might actually be looking forward to the season

Very good read - But I would kind of rather they kept their drafting "genius" process to themselves. I'm sure in the grand scheme it's not a big deal as all teams are trying to maximize draft value, teams have different needs/agendas, but where's the upside of contributing quotes to a "Look at how great we are!" article? We have to deal with these other "inferior" teams in future drafts. Again, probably not a huge deal overall, but I'd rather they just fly under the radar with this kind of stuff instead of putting a huge spotlight on themselves.
Two quick things:1) Ever read the book Moneyball? GMs/owners are ignorant.2) I really doubt it's a secret (at least in the NFL world) how the Eagles pulled it off.

Was just coming here to post that article. I'll admit it, they do seem to have their #### together in most cases. And they might have actually finally listened to (fans? McNabb? Mrs Reid?) and got some more weapons. I still think they should've have kept Dawk as his leadership is priceless. And I still think they play by the numbers too often, thus creating a lot of p.o.'d, yet still talented players on their roster. But, i am actually becoming optimistic on next season. I'm sure i'll have a typical blow up at some point when mcnabb loses his lunch at the 50, or when Reid calls 7 straight pass plays inside the opponents red zone, but for now i might actually be looking forward to the season
Your vote of confidance in the organization is simply awe-inspireing. Truly it is. :shrug:

Very interesting write up on the Eagles FO draft day activities. And the non-stop Wheeling & Dealing they generate for the betterment of the club. While it looks amazing when you break it down like this, others might do similiar efforts, but I doubt they achieve the level of Return on Investment that Philly Mgt does.

I like the fact they can still promote the next year's draft for more value since they don't have the significant needs as other teams. Planning for the long term is a great way to have job security!!

Standard VBD principals in the King article. However, everyone needs to remember that VBD is only as good as your projections. If the Eagles draft board is flawed, all their trades were moot.

That said, when I saw the Hobbs to 2 5ths I couldnt believe it. Though its the dirty little secret in the NFL. Rookies are worth more than veterans who want new deals. However, I love Hobbs and I think he is an awesome addition to the squad. Nice how BB saved face with the 'Coach didnt want to do it' line.

Your vote of confidance in the organization is simply awe-inspireing. Truly it is. :rolleyes:
:shrug: fool me once...fool me twice...fool me 32 times in the case of the Eagles Organization. I'm just not ready to jump aboard the bandwagon as i'm sure most on here are. I realize i am speaking to the most fervent Eagles fans on a message board like this. And that anything other than blind support is seen as treason. But, with as much crap as i have given the FO over the past 6 months, i figured I would at least point out some positives IMO. If that doesnt suit your needs, too bad.

Birdie048 said:
Very interesting write up on the Eagles FO draft day activities. And the non-stop Wheeling & Dealing they generate for the betterment of the club. While it looks amazing when you break it down like this, others might do similiar efforts, but I doubt they achieve the level of Return on Investment that Philly Mgt does. I like the fact they can still promote the next year's draft for more value since they don't have the significant needs as other teams. Planning for the long term is a great way to have job security!!
Oddly enough...I was thinking of this in reverse.It seems to me that coaches/GM's with better job security can afford to take a longer view. Coaches who might not survive a bad season are far less likely to trade THIS YEAR's pick away for a better one next year.I can't help but wonder why more owners can't see this.......

BuddyKnuckles said:
:bag: fool me once...fool me twice...fool me 32 times in the case of the Eagles Organization. I'm just not ready to jump aboard the bandwagon as i'm sure most on here are. I realize i am speaking to the most fervent Eagles fans on a message board like this. And that anything other than blind support is seen as treason. But, with as much crap as i have given the FO over the past 6 months, i figured I would at least point out some positives IMO. If that doesnt suit your needs, too bad.
You still don't get it. Very few in here are "blind". What sets you apart isn't that you see with more clarity the flaws...it's that you see with far, FAR less clarity the good stuff. Every time you say something good, you ruin it by saying something negative.Ony ONE teams wins it all. Only a couple or three organizations in the NFL have had as much consistant success as the Eagles over the last 9 years...but all you see is the failure to win the big one. In my mind, that makes you a very sad man, and an unpleasent fan. If you're like this with everything in your life, I can't imagine how you'd have any real friends or a long term spouse. Your CONSTANT negativeity is, quite frankly, annoying as hell.

BuddyKnuckles said:
:coffee: fool me once...fool me twice...fool me 32 times in the case of the Eagles Organization. I'm just not ready to jump aboard the bandwagon as i'm sure most on here are. I realize i am speaking to the most fervent Eagles fans on a message board like this. And that anything other than blind support is seen as treason. But, with as much crap as i have given the FO over the past 6 months, i figured I would at least point out some positives IMO. If that doesnt suit your needs, too bad.
You still don't get it. Very few in here are "blind". What sets you apart isn't that you see with more clarity the flaws...it's that you see with far, FAR less clarity the good stuff. Every time you say something good, you ruin it by saying something negative.Ony ONE teams wins it all. Only a couple or three organizations in the NFL have had as much consistant success as the Eagles over the last 9 years...but all you see is the failure to win the big one. In my mind, that makes you a very sad man, and an unpleasent fan. If you're like this with everything in your life, I can't imagine how you'd have any real friends or a long term spouse. Your CONSTANT negativeity is, quite frankly, annoying as hell.
He is just fishing for attention. Anyone who says "But, with as much crap as i have given the FO over the past 6 months" has very little knowledge of football or how NFL teams should manage themselves. To be anything less then thrilled with how this team went from a "window is closing" to a team that clearly has done enough not only to have that window open but to continue in its winning way for quite some time, is just a WIP mentality and I promise you those people are not that football savvy.

BuddyKnuckles said:
:2cents: fool me once...fool me twice...fool me 32 times in the case of the Eagles Organization. I'm just not ready to jump aboard the bandwagon as i'm sure most on here are. I realize i am speaking to the most fervent Eagles fans on a message board like this. And that anything other than blind support is seen as treason. But, with as much crap as i have given the FO over the past 6 months, i figured I would at least point out some positives IMO. If that doesnt suit your needs, too bad.
...Only a couple or three organizations in the NFL have had as much consistant success as the Eagles over the last 9 years....
To me this is all that was needed to agree with you. I don't know if BK has looked around the league since the Eagles have been a great team (that was a long time ago) but if he did he would see a lot of inconsistency. A lot of parity. All in all, what the Eagles have done is nothing short of incredible. Unfortunately BK can't seem to enjoy it.

BuddyKnuckles said:
:thumbup: fool me once...fool me twice...fool me 32 times in the case of the Eagles Organization. I'm just not ready to jump aboard the bandwagon as i'm sure most on here are. I realize i am speaking to the most fervent Eagles fans on a message board like this. And that anything other than blind support is seen as treason. But, with as much crap as i have given the FO over the past 6 months, i figured I would at least point out some positives IMO. If that doesnt suit your needs, too bad.
Pay him no mind. He has no idea what he's talking about and he makes it all about himself, that's a lethal combo if you ask me. Just ignore him like everyone else does. I've enjoyed this ride since Lurie took the team over. At least this FO wants/tries to win, have they made mistakes - sure but what FO doesn't. Braman had a lethal defense and the most electifrying QB of his era and let it all crumble. It's been frustrating for sure, but we're in a real good position to take this thing this year.

It's been frustrating for sure, but we're in a real good position to take this thing this year.
I've always been extremely optimistic this time of year and it usually carries through to the beginning of the season. This year more than most I am anticipating a quality SB run.All that aside, I think this regime has given Eagles fans so much more to be proud of than any other regime in the past. While we don't yet have any SB wins, we've been perennially in the hunt during the Lurie/Banner/Reid era. I truly believe the Eagles are the poster child for exceptionally run NFL franchises. They are solid in all phases of the business and will continue to bring the fans a quality product for years to come. No matter how much so called fans complain about the FO, you cannot complain about the results. There are many NFL franchises and fans who wish their team was as consistent a winner as the Eagles have been.

Ruffrodys05 said:
It's been frustrating for sure, but we're in a real good position to take this thing this year.
I've always been extremely optimistic this time of year and it usually carries through to the beginning of the season. This year more than most I am anticipating a quality SB run.All that aside, I think this regime has given Eagles fans so much more to be proud of than any other regime in the past. While we don't yet have any SB wins, we've been perennially in the hunt during the Lurie/Banner/Reid era. I truly believe the Eagles are the poster child for exceptionally run NFL franchises. They are solid in all phases of the business and will continue to bring the fans a quality product for years to come. No matter how much so called fans complain about the FO, you cannot complain about the results. There are many NFL franchises and fans who wish their team was as consistent a winner as the Eagles have been.
I'm not an old-enough timer for part of this response, but I'd disagree in 2 or 3 instances.The Vermeil era was very satisfying after being a doormat for a long time. Also, he was the kind of coach that plays very well in Philly - tireless worker, charismatic, etc.

I know a couple really old-timers who'd tell you the Van Buren era was the high point, and I can't argue with back-to-back titles. When 2 of the 3 franchise titles come from your era - it IS the high point. (Kind of like this is a very good era for the Steelers, but it isn't on par with the '70's)

That '60 championship team was good for exactly 2 years, and won 1 title, but bet the Packers. 1 title, but short peak.

Ruffrodys05 said:
I'm not an old-enough timer for part of this response, but I'd disagree in 2 or 3 instances.The Vermeil era was very satisfying after being a doormat for a long time. Also, he was the kind of coach that plays very well in Philly - tireless worker, charismatic, etc.

I know a couple really old-timers who'd tell you the Van Buren era was the high point, and I can't argue with back-to-back titles. When 2 of the 3 franchise titles come from your era - it IS the high point. (Kind of like this is a very good era for the Steelers, but it isn't on par with the '70's)

That '60 championship team was good for exactly 2 years, and won 1 title, but bet the Packers. 1 title, but short peak.
I'm 44 and been a fan for 38 years. As a fan I'm proud of the Eagles championships in the late 40's and the 1960 championship, but I was not privy to being a fan then. I loved the Eagles in the Vermeil era and was happy for him when he won the title in St. Louis. Thing is, Vermeil didn't have nearly as long a consistently winning team as the Reid era has had. Vermeil only had that one true chance to bring a title to the city in 1980. Reid has had 5 chances via Conference Championship appearances.I understand your disagreements, but for me, the current regime is the best I've ever seen.

Ruffrodys05 said:

I'm 44 and been a fan for 38 years. As a fan I'm proud of the Eagles championships in the late 40's and the 1960 championship, but I was not privy to being a fan then. I loved the Eagles in the Vermeil era and was happy for him when he won the title in St. Louis. Thing is, Vermeil didn't have nearly as long a consistently winning team as the Reid era has had. Vermeil only had that one true chance to bring a title to the city in 1980. Reid has had 5 chances via Conference Championship appearances.I understand your disagreements, but for me, the current regime is the best I've ever seen.
Gotta agree as well. Everyone loved Vermeil because he was the first to take them to a Super Bowl. But lets remember he coached here for seven years and only had 3 seasons with 10 wins or more. I will take the Reid years over any other regime and its not close. Sorry Buddy I still love you and the all of the late '80s teams.

Ruffrodys05 said:

I agree with you regarding the Vermeil era and was mostly talking about the amount of satisfaction fans had - which was immense. As you know, Vermeil is still on billboards here. If Reid wins a Super Bowl, he will be as well. The current regime has been so good so long without a title, it's getting criticized - kind of like Cowher in Pittsburgh was.The Ryan era was pretty good, so things weren't as bleak when Reid came to town as wehn Vermeil did.

Ruffrodys05 said:

Gotta agree as well. Everyone loved Vermeil because he was the first to take them to a Super Bowl. But lets remember he coached here for seven years and only had 3 seasons with 10 wins or more. I will take the Reid years over any other regime and its not close. Sorry Buddy I still love you and the all of the late '80s teams.
2 different eras. When Vermeil was here there was no salary cap or free agency. Vermeil never had the opportunity to go out and get a player like Jon Runyan or Assante Samuel for free. And when most teams were tight to the cap, it was even easier for the Eagles to go out and get pretty much whoever they wanted. I'm sure the Eagles under Reid would still be good as they have drafted well, but they have also been aided by the cap and free agency.

Users who are viewing this thread