What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2012 MINNESOTA TWINS THREAD*** (1 Viewer)

my god, you think it can't get any more embarrassing and then it does.

glad to see some teams can hit the ball out of Target Field, trees or no trees.

Awful.....full blown meltdown. And I don't think they've hit bottom yet. Could cost some jobs by the time this is over.

Wonder how much Mauer's absence has effected the pitching staff.
If anything this season has proven just how important it is to have Mauer behind the plate. The staff gains a catcher who can help call a game and keep the runners from going wild in addition to actually hitting the ball from time to time. Butera and his ilk have been nothing short of abysmal as substitutes for Mauer.I don't buy the Mauer can't continue playing catcher line of thinking...at least, not yet. He's still young and if properly prepared in the off-season should have no trouble logging plenty of innings in the crouch. Will he stay there forever? Of course not but it's not like the Twins have a whole lot of options anyway.

'Funkley said:
Awful.....full blown meltdown. And I don't think they've hit bottom yet. Could cost some jobs by the time this is over.
Anyone you have in mind to hit the street? Just curious.

'Funkley said:
'Funkley said:
Anyone you have in mind to hit the street? Just curious.
Not really. Just wonder if there will be a Childress-like sacrificial lamb by the time they hit bottom.
If anyone the GM and I WISH the ownership who decided to let 4 members of a very good bullpen go and not make any moves in the off season to bring in any of the Free agent starting pitchers who were available. Oh and the trade of a potential All star catcher for Capps. Capps is pitching pretty good, but there were other players to trade away other than the one backup catcher we knew had potential.

:wall: of a season

Never been a fan of Smith myself. He's never understood how to put a major league quality bench in place.

They find a new way to lose every day.

Tonight, they managed to blow a 5-0 lead to an Angels team which can't score 6 runs in a month.

Stolen from Gleeman:

As a team the Twins have an adjusted ERA+ of 84 through 52 games. Among all the pitchers in team history with at least 300 innings Pat Mahomes is the only one with a worse adjusted ERA+ at 81. In other words, after about one-third of the season the Twins have pitched like an entire staff full of Pat Mahomes. And their hitting has been even worse.

'Limp Ditka said:
Bullpen schtick can stop any minute now.
yeah, not blowing games would be a much better shtick. they should try that.nice to see them string a couple series wins in a row. still the worst record in baseball though.

11 of their last 13, 4 straight series wins, single digit games back, bullpen doesn't have a chance to blow games anymore because all the starters do is go 8+ innings...time to pump it up around here?!?

Mauer still a gigantic ##### though.

Anyone done the standing room only at Target field? Looks like that is my only choice when I go in August.

Anyone done the standing room only at Target field? Looks like that is my only choice when I go in August.
I have only been to one game at Target Field, we had seats about 20 rows up in LF. Very nice. I walked around most of the stadium and IMO there aren't many bad seats in the place. The stadium feels very small, giving you the feeling of being close to the action. It was a completely different experience for me relative to my trips to the Metrodome.Also I came across this when I was trying to figure out which section you were referring to: http://www.ballparksavvy.com/1/post/2010/6/standing-room-only-at-target-field-review.html

The Twins are making a push to get back into the AL Central race on the back of its strong starting pitching. Entering Sunday, Twins starters had a 1.73 ERA since June 2. The Twins were 16.5 games out of first at the beginning of June and eight back coming into Sunday's game. The Twins have to be showing up on the RADAR screen of the Indians and Tigers. GO TWINS

'Wooderson said:
yeah. well, I had seats but hung out in the Captians Deck all game anyway. great view and right at the bar if you can get a spot on the rail. I enjoyed it.

The Twins are riding a season-best seven-game winning streak and are 14-2 in their past 16 games. Their pitchers lead the majors with a 2.01 ERA for June.

Sox, Kittens and indians all lose last night :excited:

The Twins tied a major league mark last night with eight hits to start the game. The Cubs were the last team to do it, Sept. 8, 2009, against Pittsburgh. The Twins were 16 1/2 games out of first on June 1st, today THE NUMBER is 6 1/2, that has to be a record for the fastest pick up of 10 games :excited:

GO T W I N S GO

I'm a Brewers fan, but was in the Twin Cities area over the weekend visiting my wife's family, so my son and I snuck out on Fathers Day to see the Twins/Padres game at Target Field. It was our first visit to the park and we really enjoyed it. It certainly has a cozy feel and what looks like a number of good places to see the game from. Having the light rail station about 100 feet outside the stadium is a nice touch as we were able to ride from Mall of America right to the front door (left field corner actually).

Twins fans should be proud of their stadium. :thumbup:

Wonder what Smith will do with a high draft pick? High bonus college stud? Or lower talent but signable?

The Twins head into the All-Star break with nine wins in 12 games after taking three of four from the Sox. They come from about 16 back to 6 1/2 there is hope.

They were 17-37 (.315) on June 1 and a bit of a joke. They've gone 24-11 since and climbed back to respectable status. Hell of a turnaround.

Heading into the break, Twins have some tough decisions with Delmon, Denard, and Kubel returning from injury. Who do they send down?

Tosoni

Backup Catcher (who cares. both suck.)

Hughes

Heading into the break, Twins have some tough decisions with Delmon, Denard, and Kubel returning from injury. Who do they send down?TosoniBackup Catcher (who cares. both suck.)Hughes
Young and Plouffe are up. Tosoni and Rivera are down. The real log jam comes when Span comes back up after a rehab stint for about 15 days in the minors that should start either tuesday or wednesday.

Great job of pitching by Baker tonight :rant: , and some people think he will be a great pitcher :moneybag:
one bad inning tonight isn't going to change my mind. :thumbup:
Still think Baker is good?Spot him a four run lead last Tuesday and he couldn't hold onto it.4.85 ERA on the season and a 1.34 WHIP
He's having a rough season, no doubt. I've seen enough of him though to think that he's not just "another guy" that they can easily replace with guys in their system. If he could ever stop leaving pitches up and get control of the mental part of his game I think he'd be a pretty effective guy. He's shown stretches of it.Just my opinion.
bump.far and away their best pitcher so far this year and a big reason they aren't completely buried at the break. glad they stuck by him. :popcorn:

Five reasons I think the Twins get back in the race:

1. Detroit has issues in the pitching area. They fired pitching coach Rick Knapp, and need to make a trade for a starting pitcher imo to seal the deal. I don't see the tigers giving up the talent to get a good starter

2. The Tigers have played 459 ball after the all star break under Leyland. Will history repeat??????????

3. Cleveland started the season 20-8, but a 4-14 skid has put the Twins back in the race. At one time cleveland had a 7 game lead

4. The sox have the talent, but can't put it together, plus the Twins own Ozzie and the sox

5. No team has had more injuries then the twins, but it looks like everyone will be back, except Justin M., plus rumors Twins are looking for bullpen help, and they will not be shy to make a trade

Five reasons I think the Twins get back in the race:1. Detroit has issues in the pitching area. They fired pitching coach Rick Knapp, and need to make a trade for a starting pitcher imo to seal the deal. I don't see the tigers giving up the talent to get a good starter 2. The Tigers have played 459 ball after the all star break under Leyland. Will history repeat??????????3. Cleveland started the season 20-8, but a 4-14 skid has put the Twins back in the race. At one time cleveland had a 7 game lead4. The sox have the talent, but can't put it together, plus the Twins own Ozzie and the sox5. No team has had more injuries then the twins, but it looks like everyone will be back, except Justin M., plus rumors Twins are looking for bullpen help, and they will not be shy to make a trade
I like the cut of your jib.As long as it has nothing to do with the Vikings or Favre.

Heading into the break, Twins have some tough decisions with Delmon, Denard, and Kubel returning from injury. Who do they send down?TosoniBackup Catcher (who cares. both suck.)Hughes
Young and Plouffe are up. Tosoni and Rivera are down. The real log jam comes when Span comes back up after a rehab stint for about 15 days in the minors that should start either tuesday or wednesday.
:headbang: So far the roster moves are making Smith look good.

—INF Trevor Plouffe was back with the Twins on Thursday for the first time since June 4, when he was demoted to the minors because of shoddy defense (three errors in 18 games) at shortstop. With Class AAA Rochester, he added first base and the corner outfield spots to his duties, and he's hitting .313 with 11 doubles, 15 home runs and 33 RBI in 51 games with the Red Wings.

That convinced the Twins to give Plouffe, 25, another shot.

"When we started to move around a bit, I started to have fun out there," Plouffe said. "It was kind of like I rediscovered baseball. It was exciting."

Plouffe had two hits, including a go-ahead, two-run homer in his first game back, an 8-4 victory over the Royals. He was the designated hitter.

P;ouffe might be the spark the Twins need to catch the tigers

GO TWINS

Five reasons I think the Twins get back in the race:1. Detroit has issues in the pitching area. They fired pitching coach Rick Knapp, and need to make a trade for a starting pitcher imo to seal the deal. I don't see the tigers giving up the talent to get a good starter 2. The Tigers have played 459 ball after the all star break under Leyland. Will history repeat??????????3. Cleveland started the season 20-8, but a 4-14 skid has put the Twins back in the race. At one time cleveland had a 7 game lead4. The sox have the talent, but can't put it together, plus the Twins own Ozzie and the sox5. No team has had more injuries then the twins, but it looks like everyone will be back, except Justin M., plus rumors Twins are looking for bullpen help, and they will not be shy to make a trade
Two issues with this:1. Detroit absolutely would make a move to get an upgrade at pitcher. Since when has Dombrowski shied away from giving up prospects for upgrades?2. This second half swoon thing is garbage. We hear it constantly here in Detroit as well. The idea that this team has faded in the past so they will ALWAYS fade (until they don't) isn't grounded in logic whatsoever. If anything, Leyland rests his damn players so much they should be fresh as a daisy in the second half.Having said that, I still think the Twins are in this until the end. God I hate them.

Nathan is back closing. Boy do we need him to step up.
Amen.I thought Perk looked like a different player in the closer role, but he lacks the strong offspeed stuff.That loss Cappy gave up the other night in the 9th was just sickening to watch. The pen still needs a lot of help.

Thome's big HR today was awsome,leaving him four shy of becoming the eighth player to hit 600 home runs.

That Nathan dude looked good too

5 games back, to think at one time it was 16 1/2 back

Users who are viewing this thread