What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Bojang0301 said:
Absolutely stupid that Roeth was in the whole 4th quarter. Now he's be in a walking boot, thanks Tomlin. I swear... Tomlin is a good coach but he's own worst enemy.
At what point did Russell Wilson come out of their game?  How about Rodgers? Even Osweiler?

One more thing.  I can't stand Mike Mitchell.  His girly scream in the 2nd quarter when he got a big hit AFTER an 8 yard gain is about all I can take of him at this point.
I said pretty much same exact thing to my family after he did that. I don't mind Mitchell just his antics and histrionics. 

Lutherman2112 said:
23 years ago today, the Steelers lost an OT Wild Card game in KC. I think that is the last time PIT faced KC in a playoff game. I would love a redemption win.

I listened to the game on the radio, as my new fiancee (now ex) and I drove 3 hours to Pittsburgh for an engagement party with my grandparents and cousins and such. It was the first time she had ever heard Myron's voice and she complained about it the entire way. That was a sign...or omen.

Redemption win, please.
That's a great nostalgia post.

Joey Porter arrested after an altercation at a bar. If the coaches were all drunk maybe that explains why Ben was still in the game.
Damn. What a terrible development and potential distraction.  The charges don't seem insignificant either.  Go home and celebrate Joey!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000771895/article/steelers-coach-joey-porter-arrested-on-multiple-charges

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/01/08/Steelers-coach-Joey-Porter-arrested-on-South-Side/stories/201701080238

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe we're still playing the "Joey Porter is a great (blank) but I wish he would just (blank)" game. 
I'll play, EG

I can't believe we're still playing the "Joey Porter is a great (gamed-day on the field mentor) but I wish he would just (show more maturity as a coach away from the field)" game. 

At what point did Russell Wilson come out of their game?  How about Rodgers? Even Osweiler?
Well I don't agree with leaving any of those guys in when the game is out of hand.  But there is a difference between Ben and those guys.  He's injury prone.

They pulled Bell. So clearly they were worried about injury, but just for him?  Brown and Ben should have been taken out too. If you're up 3 scores with 5 minutes left it's reasonable. And it's not like they couldn't have gone back in if Miami scored.

Nobody is saying that but are they immune to criticism?
No, but this is the playoffs.  I wasn't comfortable that the game was in hand at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  Suggesting the Bs should have been out that early is just ridiculous.  Also, Ben's "injury prone-ness" notwithstanding, I think it's a pretty piss-poor differentiation.  Seems like during the playoffs, most coaches will keep their starters in for most, if not all, of the game in spite of the scoreboard.

The Steelers just played a pretty dominant game and there's so much more negative in this thread than positive.  Why is that?

No, but this is the playoffs.  I wasn't comfortable that the game was in hand at the beginning of the 4th quarter.  Suggesting the Bs should have been out that early is just ridiculous.  Also, Ben's "injury prone-ness" notwithstanding, I think it's a pretty piss-poor differentiation.  Seems like during the playoffs, most coaches will keep their starters in for most, if not all, of the game in spite of the scoreboard.

The Steelers just played a pretty dominant game and there's so much more negative in this thread than positive.  Why is that?
Well then we disagree because by the beginning of the 4th quarter I was very confident the game was in hand.  I don't think there is a lot of negativity.  We are all thrilled about the win and especially how dominant they looked.  Just want to see them stay healthy because the sky is the limit if this team is at full strength.

First, most people are saying "with 5 minutes left up by 18 points".  5 minutes = the last third of the quarter.

And probably more negative because most of us expected to beat Miami and are upset that a coach got himself arrested and our star QB got hurt when he didn't have to. If you pull Bell you're acknowledging that you don't want to risk injury, so why leave in the star WR for punts and star QB? It just doesn't make much sense.

It's interesting that Tomlin didn't even mention Ben's "injury" in his post-game press conference.  The only one he mentioned was Davis and his shoulder (along with the "bumps and bruises").  Here's hoping it's a whole lotta nuthin'.

Well I don't agree with leaving any of those guys in when the game is out of hand.  But there is a difference between Ben and those guys.  He's injury prone.
Wilson's been battling a leg injury for weeks.  Rodgers has a history of concussions.

The only difference is that Ben wasn't smart enough to throw the ball away sooner.  That's on him, not the coach.

Wilson's been battling a leg injury for weeks.  Rodgers has a history of concussions.

The only difference is that Ben wasn't smart enough to throw the ball away sooner.  That's on him, not the coach.
Ok fair enough but those 2 guys haven't missed as many games as Ben has.  Anyways, looks like Ben is fine so hopefully a moot point.  I'm ready to let this go and get psyched up for the Chiefs           :towelwave:

It's interesting that Tomlin didn't even mention Ben's "injury" in his post-game press conference.  The only one he mentioned was Davis and his shoulder (along with the "bumps and bruises").  Here's hoping it's a whole lotta nuthin'.
Watched the game this morning,  Ben trotted off the field at the end of the game.  He's fine

Lutherman2112 said:
23 years ago today, the Steelers lost an OT Wild Card game in KC. I think that is the last time PIT faced KC in a playoff game. I would love a redemption win.

I listened to the game on the radio, as my new fiancee (now ex) and I drove 3 hours to Pittsburgh for an engagement party with my grandparents and cousins and such. It was the first time she had ever heard Myron's voice and she complained about it the entire way. That was a sign...or omen.

Redemption win, please.
Keith freaking Cash.  *middle finger*

I too think Ben is "fine," and will be at 90%+.  No reason DeAngelo couldn't have spelled Bell for a series or two earlier.  I just don't like seeing him get that many touches when he didn't need them.  Landry can hand off just fine as well.  

Glad to see Pouncy and Bell healthy in the playoffs for once.  Miss Heyward, but the D seems to have found its' groove over the last two months.  Really hope we can smack A. Smith around a bit.  Agree that this team, at its' current health, can explode on anybody.  Awesome offense.  Gonna be fun to add Bryant back to the mix next year.

I think we'll do the usual safe, low-salary FAs this year.  Some big re-signings on our own team this year and next, will eat up a lot of that salary cap space.  D. Poe is the one I'm hoping for in free agency.

Cannot be counted on. Cut him at the end of the season, draft Njoku for 2017.
They got to give him a shot next year.  He opens up so many dimensions for this offense when he's healthy.  I know it's a long shot to count on his health but it's worth it.  With Bryant coming back next year, the offense could be unstoppable if everyone stays healthy (or at least is healthy at the right time- I.e the playoffs)

Possibility of doing both (or Howard from Bama)?

Ben really needs to tone down the unnecessary risky throws moving forward in the playoffs. We're not going to win in KC, much less in Foxboro, if he turns the ball over the way he did against Miami.

I don't see Alex Smith executing multiple long drives against our defense given the way they've played during the winning streak, but giving him a short field a few times could be a disaster. Take away Kelce as much as possible, make Smith throw outside the hash marks to beat us, and a heavy dose of Bell pounding their 26th ranked run defense all day.

I actually feel pretty good about this week.

Ben really needs to tone down the unnecessary risky throws moving forward in the playoffs. We're not going to win in KC, much less in Foxboro, if he turns the ball over the way he did against Miami.

I don't see Alex Smith executing multiple long drives against our defense given the way they've played during the winning streak, but giving him a short field a few times could be a disaster. Take away Kelce as much as possible, make Smith throw outside the hash marks to beat us, and a heavy dose of Bell pounding their 26th ranked run defense all day.

I actually feel pretty good about this week.
The last INT was bad.  Should have thrown it away before the rush got there.  The first was just a little high and off AB's hands.  A few inches and it's a big completion.I don't see that as an unnecessary risky throw. 

The last INT was bad.  Should have thrown it away before the rush got there.  The first was just a little high and off AB's hands.  A few inches and it's a big completion.I don't see that as an unnecessary risky throw. 
I agree that the one that skipped off of AB's Hands is tough to pin on Ben. But the throw that James (I think it was James?) somehow came down with was pretty iffy too, IMO. Bottom line for me is that with a huge lead and the defense playing so well, I'd rather see him throw it away or check down and hope the receiver can make a great play than try to thread the needle downfield. I understand that that quality is also what makes him great, but it can also be a big negative. Given the game situation Sunday, I would have rather played it closer to the vest -- and likely doubly so this coming Sunday, given the opponent.

You have to take the bad with the good with Ben.  He's going to make some God awful throws but he's also going to make plays that very few other QBs can make.  With a big lead, I agree that I want him to try to limit the mistakes.  But I also want them to keep the foot on the pedal until the game is completely out of hand (like 4th quarter against Miami).

I agree that the one that skipped off of AB's Hands is tough to pin on Ben. But the throw that James (I think it was James?) somehow came down with was pretty iffy too, IMO. Bottom line for me is that with a huge lead and the defense playing so well, I'd rather see him throw it away or check down and hope the receiver can make a great play than try to thread the needle downfield. I understand that that quality is also what makes him great, but it can also be a big negative. Given the game situation Sunday, I would have rather played it closer to the vest -- and likely doubly so this coming Sunday, given the opponent.
That one was probably the worst -- that was an easy pick and Ben got lucky.  Ben has so much confidence in himself and his receivers that more often then not he gets away with risky throws.  I guess you have to take the good with the bad but that pass to James was really bad.

I think Labriola did a nice job of explaining his take on why Ben was still in the Miami game.  Sums up my feelings almost precisely :

Let me just start with this: Aaron Rodgers took every snap in Green Bay on Sunday night, and the Packers defeated the Giants, 38-13. Russell Wilson took every snap for the Seahawks in Seattle’s 26-6 win over the Lions on Saturday night. Mike McCarthy, Pete Carroll, and Mike Tomlin all have won Super Bowls, just to reiterate their credentials. And both Rodgers and Wilson, along with Ben Roethlisberger, attempted passes on offensive series that took place with less than four minutes left in their games. One other thing worth mentioning: Ben Roethlisberger had shed the walking boot by early afternoon on Monday and is not expected to be hampered in any way for the game in Kansas City against the Chiefs.

Now, on to this: Taking out Le’Veon Bell was doable and necessary, because what the offense is mainly going to be doing is running the football, and Bell is a running back. So you put somebody else in there to eat those carries. Pulling a quarterback is different, though, because there is no position on a team more critical to ball protection than the quarterback, so having Roethlisberger on the field to handle the football makes sense to me.

And Tomlin’s personality as a coach is to play to win and play the best players in the effort to win. He’s not going to be victimized by a comeback created by his own decision to “rest” his difference-making players. That’s the kind of coach he was before he was hired here, and it’s the kind of coach he has been since he was hired here. If Art Rooney II didn’t like/agree with that approach, he would’ve done something about it by now.

I’m sure that the idea for the play-call on third-and-8 from the Miami 46-yard line with 4:34 remaining was a quick throw to get a first down, and executing that properly to the degree of getting the ball off quickly before the quarterback is exposed to a hit isn’t too much to ask. During the play, however, Ben Roethlisberger did what he is wont to do, which is pull down the ball and start moving around in an effort to make a play.

The issue is a great one for those in the talk show business, and that’s fair because it is one that elicits strong opinions and long discussions. And if Tomlin is to be criticized for leaving Roethlisberger in the game, imagine what it would be like if he had pulled his quarterback and the Steelers lost a playoff game because “he had taken his foot off the gas?”

This is the way the Steelers’ coach coaches and the way their quarterback plays. If you want to get angry at one, or both, for their styles have at it, but I’m guessing that at some point you’ve also cheered Tomlin for his aggressiveness and refusal to play not to lose, and you’ve also jumped to your feet as Roethlisberger was extending some play before completing a pass down the field in some critical situation.

I mentioned this as the game was being played in the game thread, but I can think of at least two times when one of our defensive guys made a play and was getting ready to draw a 15-yard taunting penalty by doing something stupid, and Shazier was there to push the guy away and prevent it. One of them would have changed a 4th down to a 1st down, if I remember right.

I mentioned this as the game was being played in the game thread, but I can think of at least two times when one of our defensive guys made a play and was getting ready to draw a 15-yard taunting penalty by doing something stupid, and Shazier was there to push the guy away and prevent it. One of them would have changed a 4th down to a 1st down, if I remember right.
I remember that Shazier pulled Bud Dupree away when things got nasty after one of his big hits, I think he might have done it again at some other point in the game.   It's good to have someone out there to calm things down.

Godsbrother said:
I remember that Shazier pulled Bud Dupree away when things got nasty after one of his big hits, I think he might have done it again at some other point in the game.   It's good to have someone out there to calm things down.
The main one I remember was when Heybeybey went nuts and he had to be pulled away from the Miami guys. Don't think Shazier did it, but whatever Miami did to DHB, it must have been bad.

Unfortunately, throw it away is not in his playbook.

Yesterday's practice report (not too bad):

Bell, Ben, Tuitt, Golden, Williams and Davis all full participants in practice yesterday.

Dupree (shin) was limited but is expected to play.  Toussaint limited but in concussion protocol.

Chickillo, Matthews and Ladarious Green did not practice and expected to miss Sunday's game.

Weather forecast is having a negative effect on ticket sales:

There’s a winter storm watch in place through the start of Sunday’s Kansas City Chiefs-Pittsburgh Steelers division playoff game, an icy forecast that has resulted in plummeting ticket prices for the contest at Arrowhead Stadium.

The median listing price for the game fell 43% to $148 and the cheapest seats dropped in half to $61 since Sunday, according to SeatGeek.

"Those fans who can safely make it to the game are getting a great value on a postseason NFL game," SeatGeek spokesperson Chris Leyden said.

There were more than 8,500 seats still available on StubHub as of Thursday with some of the seats going for as low as $58. The get-in price for the three other teams that host NFL playoff games this weekend (Atlanta, New England and Dallas) averaged $124 on StubHub.

The National Weather Service warned of the potential for significant icing, snow and sleet that could impact travel across the Kansas City area from Friday afternoon through Sunday evening. The game is scheduled for noon local time on Sunday.

The only thing that scares me about the KC game is special teams (and stupid Ben picks), but it scares the crap out of me. 

I also think we may have already seen Ladarius Green play his last NFL snap. I'm obviously rooting for the guy but the signs are ominous. 

In other news, all but the least serious charges against Joey Porter were dropped,  so there's that. 
Well our special teams is certainly capable of screwing the pooch in a variety of ways so I am also concerned in that area as well.   At the beginning of the season I felt that our kicking game (both punting & KO) were better than they have been for a long time but they've been pretty lousy since mid-season.

I'm always worried about turnovers but Ben is going to roll the dice and more often than not it pays off.   I'll take Ben's 29 TDs, 13 Ints to Alex Smith's 15 TDs, 8 Ints.

As for Green, I agree.  Concussions are nothing to mess around with and he should probably consider hanging it up.  It didn't even seem like the hit he took in Cincinnati was even that violent -- he just appears to be so susceptible to concussions.  There is more to life than football.

Maybe Green should get whatever helmet Rodgers got. He was getting concussions all the time, switched helmets, and now he says he doesn't get any.

Hoping that the bad weather means that many fans can't make it to the game! Less fans = less noise, which helps the Steelers a ton. Also, more tickets are for sale than usual so hopefully more Steelers fans are going than usual.  If airfare was equally low as ticket prices I'd think about it more.

Yeah, it's why he kept switching helmets earlier in his career.
I read where he missed games two different times in 2010, none before, none since.  I guess that is a history.

Me, I think of his collarbone injury and the multiple times he has had ankle and calf injuries.  Those lower leg things seem to come up regularly with him.  I don't think of the one season of concussions, but you are right, I found it in multiple spots in black and white.

Yesterday's practice report (not too bad):

Weather forecast is having a negative effect on ticket sales:
I have a couple of AA free flight credits.  I could fly myself and the wife to KC and go to the game for about $300 (2 tickets and the cost of a one night hotel stay.)

Forecast here for Sunday is mostly sunny skies with a high of 78. My pool is heated to 85 degrees.  Bucket of wings is $10.

Going with option B.

Users who are viewing this thread