What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2018 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread*** Back to being the Bucs (2 Viewers)

The Cole sudden dominance is one thing but the Morton complete dominance is the icing on the cake.  Morton always had talent (unfulfilled in Pittsburgh of course) but he may very well end up as a front end stud by the end of this year.  Houston acquires pitchers and they all immediately turn into elite aces.  

The Cole sudden dominance is one thing but the Morton complete dominance is the icing on the cake.  Morton always had talent (unfulfilled in Pittsburgh of course) but he may very well end up as a front end stud by the end of this year.  Houston acquires pitchers and they all immediately turn into elite aces.  
They used to say that about Searage and the Pirates not that long ago.  Morton had some success in Pittsburgh but injuries and lack of run support were problems.  His velocity increase is very unusual though.  I can't think of many cases where a SP picks up 5+ mph on his fastball in his early 30s.

Two weeks ago I was out with a bunch of buddies and we were are predicting losing seasons.   I told them I thought the Pirates would come out hot but quickly cool off and finish slightly below .500  with 78 wins. 

I was the most optimistic of my friends.
Just wanted to bump my prediction -- seems to be coming true.

At least they won the nightcap and stopped the skid.

Not a lot of chatter in this thread.  We are almost a quarter of the way done with the season and they’re exceeding expectations.  The NL is very tough this year so I don’t see how this team can actually compete for a playoff spot.  Polanco has fallen back down to earth after a scorching hot start.  I’m close to giving up on Glasnow (maybe Houston will turn him into the next Nolan Ryan).  I’m intrigued by Kingham and can’t wait to see him get more starts.  Anyone hear anything on Meadows?  He was once thought to be Cutch’s heir apparent but looks like those expectations may have been a bit lofty.  As I’m writing this, I’m wondering if there is really anything to be excited about for this season or the foreseeable future?  

Musgrove with an incredible debut for the Buccos.  It sure would be something if one of Houston's pitchers came to Pittsburgh and became a stud.       :thumbup:

I think it looks like a good start to the draft.

I would probably have rather seen a higher upside guy, but Swaggerty looks like an legit top ten pick.

I like going with athletes with the next two picks. They bring a lot of upside.They both seem to have some projection there.

well THAT sucked.  Thought going to bed, up 5-0, was a safe bet.   Didn't think the bullpen would not only blow the lead but give up NINE runs in two innings.  

So last night's game against the Brewers was rained out but please explain to me why Hurdle's starting lineup had Sean Rodriguez, David Freese, and Jose Osuna against the 1st place Brewers?    Rodriguez doesn't belong on a Major League roster and Hurdle gives him a start?  

:wall:

Sean Rodriguez stats over the last 4 games:  0 for 10, six strikeouts, ground into a game-ending double play and committed 2 errors.   He did get on base via walk though. :clap:  

His batting average is 55 points below the Mendoza line.     Clint Hurdle says "We're looking for a breakthrough with Sean".  Neal Huntington called Sean "the consummate professional" and that he "is really working hard in the tunnel" and "really been showing signs".

I know this team has major issues other than Sean Rod considering that how poorly they played in the Diamondback series:  outscored 21-6, never had a lead in any of the four games, only had three extra base hits, struck out 40 times, etc.   But the fact this guy is still getting any playing time, not to mention getting starts, is indicative of how management and ownership care about the fans.  

How's it going, Gents? Long time, no see. Fred's still doing the thread's heavy lifting.

Happy Independence Day!

40-45 record, on par with 2016 & 2017. Truly a model of consistent mediocrity.

Picking an All-Star from this squad will be rough. Maybe Dave Roberts will go with Colin Moran.

How's it going, Gents? Long time, no see. Fred's still doing the thread's heavy lifting.

Happy Independence Day!

40-45 record, on par with 2016 & 2017. Truly a model of consistent mediocrity.

Picking an All-Star from this squad will be rough. Maybe Dave Roberts will go with Colin Moran.
Hey welcome back GB!  Hope you can stick around for a while.  Good point about the all star.  Maybe Meadows will get it?   :shrug:  

Thanks!

With the Pirates at 40-46, and on their third straight way to another sub-par record, how are the people in charge (Coonelly, Huntington, Hurdle) living up to their contracts? The answer is they're not. They shuffle players in and out, with little variance in the results. The lack of commitment toward developing a genuine winner is tiresome. Ownership, of course, draws a profit, win or lose. So, fielding an authentically-competitive team remains a low priority.

When this happened with Leyland in the mid-1990s, he bolted to manage an upwardly-bound team. Hurdle must be content with a paycheck.

The Pirates seem like they're falling pretty far down the list of teams with bright futures. Other than Mitch Keller, what do they have on the farm? Polanco can't live up to the hype, Marte is already almost 30, Taillon can't seem to take the next step, the rest of the SPs are meh...  how are these guys going to be good now OR down the road? 

Interesting note on MLB payroll---It stands at $150M per team on average. The Bucs and the Brewers are both at about the $100M mark. But it's pretty clear one franchise has leveraged their salaries well, and has the NL's best record as of July 6th. The other remains stuck with a .473 winning percentage.

Last 44 games for the Bucs (14-30)----a 5.03 staff ERA.

Last 44 for Milwaukee (27-17)-----a 3.61 staff ERA.

The Pirates are 30-45 so far this season vs NL clubs. Maybe they need more games against the weak AL Central.

This is GM Neal Huntington's 11th full year on the job.

The club has an 812-897 record during his tenure. That is .475 baseball, or a season average of 77-85. They've not won a division title in that span.

Otherwise, all is just fine with Pirates ownership, who don't appear concerned though this has won thin with the dwindling fan base.

Curiously, the Bucs staff maintains a road ERA of 4.93, in contrast to their 3.85 ERA in home games. A full run per game lower at home.

They could use some bullpen help, another starter and some depth in the IF.   My guess is they don't do much though.

As great as this stretch has been I am skeptical that Marte and Polanco can keep hitting at this pace.   Also slightly concerned about Dickerson's hamstring

They could use some bullpen help, another starter and some depth in the IF.   My guess is they don't do much though.

As great as this stretch has been I am skeptical that Marte and Polanco can keep hitting at this pace.   Also slightly concerned about Dickerson's hamstring
All very true.

Would not like to see them make a move by tomorrow for the sake of making one.  Hoping for an acquisition to be a viable upgrade or, at least, a solid complementary addition.

Looks like the Pirates have traded for the Ranger's closer Keone Kela.     Don't know that much about him but looks to be a decent pickup (and obviously economical).  It is nice to see the Pirates doing something though they could use another starter and some infield depth.

And for the love of God please cut Sean Rod!

@TBTimes_Rays

BREAKING: Under deal being finalized, #Rays trade Archer to #Pirates for Glasnow, Meadows and a still being decided 3rd piece

monessen said:
Awesome statement by the Pirates!
I don’t know how the trade is going to ultimately turn out but it represents a shift in philosophy from ownership and management.  That’s significant in my mind.  Not the same old Buccos anymore.  

Oh and I think a change of scenery for Archer will only help.  Perhaps Glasnow turns into the stud that we thought he could be but moving to the AL East certainly can’t help his cause, right?  Meadows could be a solid outfielder but I don’t think we are giving up a stud.

Users who are viewing this thread