What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2018 YANKEE THREAD*** Gleyber Day (3 Viewers)

Hey...if there's every a time to rebuild...it'd be for the next couple of years while the Angels have stocked up. The one years are nice for the Yanks as I'm sure if they fall out of the race....they could move some of those guys for low level prospects.

I couldn't see Pierzynski on this team, but it still sucks to see him in Texas. WTF are they doing with this catching situation?
I just wish if they were to rebuild they would go all in. Instead we got some mish mosh of old players on one yr deals and a bunch of HUGE holes elsewhere.

Yanks so far.....

C Romine/Cervelli/Stewart

1B Tex

2B Cano

SS Jeter/Nunez

3B Youk

RF Ichiro

CF Grandy

LF Gardner

DH Dickerson ( i see the Yanks adding some bat here)

Bench

Nunez, Dickerson, Catcher, other...

SP

CC

Pettite

Kuroda

Hughes

Nova/Phelps

Pen

Mo

Robertson, Joba, Logan, Rapada, Eppley, Nova/Phelps....

If pitching is solid...and the Yanks incorporate small ball....they should win 90-100 games

Ibanez signed with the Ms. Guess he didnt fit in with the Yanks youth movement
Looks like the Yanks may be trying to get Vernon Wells...he is owed 21 million for the next years....Angels would have to eat most of that salary
Thats actually a GREAT move IMO. Yanks are desperate for RH bats
I'm not sure great is the word, have you seen his stats the past 2 years?
I know he sucks but as long as the angels pick up most of the $$ hed make a great 4th OFer. Yanks OF of gardner, granderson, and ichiro is all lefty and pffers little pop outside of grandy. It would be a great MOVE, not saying hes a Great Player.

Wells has an 86 OPS+ and has slugged a robust .409 over the past two seasons...He's awful

He'd make an awful 4th OF

He'd make a bad 4th OF on a minor league team

Boy do I really, really, really not want this to happen

Wells has an 86 OPS+ and has slugged a robust .409 over the past two seasons...He's awfulHe'd make an awful 4th OFHe'd make a bad 4th OF on a minor league teamBoy do I really, really, really not want this to happen
Lol. I can't think of any reason shady would want that deal to happen.

Wells has an 86 OPS+ and has slugged a robust .409 over the past two seasons...He's awfulHe'd make an awful 4th OFHe'd make a bad 4th OF on a minor league teamBoy do I really, really, really not want this to happen
Lol. I can't think of any reason shady would want that deal to happen.
Yeah I went back to check and see if maybe he hammered lefties or something. Nope. He had an .851 OPS vs LHP two years ago, but last year he was brutal against everyone.

Nothing to look forward to this year and the only new player they got i ####in hate
Seems like The Captain is healing up nicely. Always fun watching him. :shrug:But as with Mickey Mantle's last few years, he will probably be playing out the string on some bad teams.

Man, this doom and gloom is awfulThere are probably about 25 teams that would gladly swap rosters with the YankeesAre there question marks? SureHas the division gotten tougher? AbsolutelyBut IMO that just makes it more fun and interesting

Man, this doom and gloom is awfulThere are probably about 25 teams that would gladly swap rosters with the YankeesAre there question marks? SureHas the division gotten tougher? AbsolutelyBut IMO that just makes it more fun and interesting
:goodposting: I've said things along this line before, but...the team isn't stacked and loaded and a virtual lock for 95-100 wins and that means there's no reason to watch? What was more fun, the 2003 ALCS or the 1998 World Series? Having teams of relatively equal strength beating each other up for six months sounds like a blast to me.Unless someone believes this ALCS participant all of a sudden just became a 75-win team in one offseason, I don't get it.

Man, this doom and gloom is awful

There are probably about 25 teams that would gladly swap rosters with the Yankees

Are there question marks? Sure

Has the division gotten tougher? Absolutely

But IMO that just makes it more fun and interesting
:goodposting: I've said things along this line before, but...the team isn't stacked and loaded and a virtual lock for 95-100 wins and that means there's no reason to watch? What was more fun, the 2003 ALCS or the 1998 World Series? Having teams of relatively equal strength beating each other up for six months sounds like a blast to me.

Unless someone believes this ALCS participant all of a sudden just became a 75-win team in one offseason, I don't get it.
Just TALKING baseball is a blast to me. Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta go scrape the ice off of my car. <_<

My comment wasnt about their chances. I think with their pitching staff and still a strong middle of the order they have as much a chance as anyone to make the playoffs. Theres just nothing new and exciting to root for this year. Thats all my complaint was about.

Cashman admitted today that KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK-Rod may miss the entire season. :banned:
5-6 years ago I though A-Rod was a lock to break the all-time HR record. I can`t remember a player of his stature falling off so fast. The Yanks should be looking to buy him out right about now and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cashman admitted today that KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK-Rod may miss the entire season. :banned:
5-6 years ago I though A-Rod was a lock to break the all-time HR record. I can`t remember a player of his stature falling off so fast. The Yanks should be looking to buy him out right about now and move on.
Tiger woodsI just read if alex never comes back due to the injury, the yanks get back 85% of his remaining contract due to insurance and he would be considered an injured retired player and thus his salary would not count against the luxury tax. I wonder if the yanks paid off the doc to botch the surgery ;)

No chance in the world A-Rod plays a game for this team again. I don't know the how or why, but its hard to see him coming back.
Yeah, but the problem is that Mad Dog was ranting all day about the very same thing. :hophead: "YOU CAN WRITE IT DOWN.. A-ROD WILL NEVER PLAY ANOTHER GAME IN A YANKEE UNIFORM!!!" :hophead:

So basically, he should be playing for us before the All-Star break.

Well, te'o showed that just because something is obvious doesn't make it so, thus when arod issues as hard a denial as he did, I'll hear him out. But there is smoke all OVER this starting with cousin yuri and the testimony of former employees. His strong denial however makes any slim chance at redemption impossible. He lied, hard, to everyone's face, again. Marty that with declining skills and you get no mercy. He likely should have declined comment today and went into rehab. That's the one move the roid guys have never done but be could have likely legimtately claimed addiction and maybe retained some sympathy. Hall of fame? Not only won't be be in, I think given all he's represented, if this is true, he falls off the ballot year one in the ultimate statement. If he had any respect for the game he'd retire. Whatever window dressing he's capable of doing to boost his stats will be negligible. The money, I know. Negotiate a buyout. I promise the team will listen.Girl, don't go away mad. Girl, just go away

This ARod thing sucks. But from a "looking forward" type stance, they have to do everything they can to get him off the roster and kill that contract. But that brings up an interesting slippery slope. Let's say the Yanks can pull off something and cancel his deal or force him to retire to get an insurance payment because of PED's. Does this open a can of worms where other teams start to try that - if a player is caught, kill his contract. That would certainly go towards cleaning up the game if that is the goal. I can't imagine the player's union just letting it happen, but it's an interesting thing to ponder.And now this means I have to see Youkilis play more. Great. I'm going to hate this season. I just know it.

This ARod thing sucks. But from a "looking forward" type stance, they have to do everything they can to get him off the roster and kill that contract. But that brings up an interesting slippery slope. Let's say the Yanks can pull off something and cancel his deal or force him to retire to get an insurance payment because of PED's. Does this open a can of worms where other teams start to try that - if a player is caught, kill his contract. That would certainly go towards cleaning up the game if that is the goal. I can't imagine the player's union just letting it happen, but it's an interesting thing to ponder.And now this means I have to see Youkilis play more. Great. I'm going to hate this season. I just know it.
Can of worms should have been opened years ago. Kenny Williams had it spot on when he said that these guys are essentially committing fraud .

Theres no chance theyd be able to get out of his contract. From what? Hand written "medical records"?
Nope. But it's going to be really awesome to watch them try, then after failing, bring him back.
They have nothing to lose at this point. Joel Sherman put better in a column something I've maintatined all along.5 years left. This year is gone.A-Rod 2016 and 2017 are a sunk cost and thankfully a lower number in real dollars (still prorated for cap purposes). But there is no way he could possibly be on this team without being released for his age 41 and 42 seasons.So you're really gambling that ARod 2014 and/or 2015 give you SOMETHING for your hundred million.There is zero risk antagonizing the guy. I'm sure they almost hope his tissue soft persona crumbles with going through a trial. At the very least, disclosure will be fascinating.The fact of the matter is, Yankee management sucks.For them to agree to this cap in the recent agreement is one thing, but for the organization to have not had the foresight to put a point pill of amnesty for at least one contract, complete failing on their behalf. So either the Steinbrenner/Levine trokia railroaded represenation and kept Cash out of the loop for that negotiation and they got schooled, or this negotiation was happening when Cashman was trying to bang any 38 year old BBW who would have his hobbit ###. I kind of resent the idea of them going after A-Rod, they should have to wear the cloak of their own ignominity but as a fan, if thats going to be a hindrance, losing over 1/8 of a payroll on a guy most of the serious fans didn't want back is hard to swallow. i'm appreicative of his 2009 postseason but his roids to take some shine off that (even though I'd be a fool not to think he was on something.)

Theres no chance theyd be able to get out of his contract. From what? Hand written "medical records"?
Nope. But it's going to be really awesome to watch them try, then after failing, bring him back.
This twitter feed sums up the massive fail of the "Yankees should try to get out of the contract" argument pretty well.Another good one I saw: If they're gonna commit a felony to get rid of A-Rod, why stop with insurance fraud? It's a lot easier to get away with murder.

This twitter feed sums up the massive fail of the "Yankees should try to get out of the contract" argument pretty well.Another good one I saw: If they're gonna commit a felony to get rid of A-Rod, why stop with insurance fraud? It's a lot easier to get away with murder.
Its overloaded right now, but are they not allowed to put this matter to civil trial? I think their endgame is pressuring and embarassing A-Rod, and not winning. Even if they won a civil judgement, it wouldn't pass the CBA but I wonder whats chicken and egg. If there is no provision for "fraud" in the CBA, whats to stop them from getting in the murk.Not exactly where you want to be as an organization, but with 100 million plus on the line, I guess people can and will do strange things. Even sleazy ones.

Its overloaded right now, but are they not allowed to put this matter to civil trial? I think their endgame is pressuring and embarassing A-Rod, and not winning. Even if they won a civil judgement, it wouldn't pass the CBA but I wonder whats chicken and egg. If there is no provision for "fraud" in the CBA, whats to stop them from getting in the murk.Not exactly where you want to be as an organization, but with 100 million plus on the line, I guess people can and will do strange things. Even sleazy ones.
Civil trial for what? To get out of the contract due to breach? I can't imagine they can get out of the contract. To recover on the insurance? Sure, they can sue the insurer to recover when the insurer rejects their claim. But I can't imagine they'd want to subject themselves to discovery, because I assume (I'm not a doctor so I can't say 100%) that he'd be healthy enough to take the field at some point before the contract expires when he's 42. And if you knowingly lie to your insurer about the nature of your claim, that's felony insurance fraud.

If however his injury is actually career-ending like Bo's hip, then they're in a different situation. But I haven't seen that anywhere. Everything I've seen is people suggesting that his time with the Yankees should or will end without saying they think he can't every play again. But that's impossible- if he can play again, the Yankees are stuck with him, or at least his salary.

'TobiasFunke said:
'Smack Tripper said:
'TobiasFunke said:
'Premier said:
'shadyridr said:
Civil trial for what? To get out of the contract due to breach? I can't imagine they can get out of the contract. To recover on the insurance? Sure, they can sue the insurer to recover when the insurer rejects their claim. But I can't imagine they'd want to subject themselves to discovery, because I assume (I'm not a doctor so I can't say 100%) that he'd be healthy enough to take the field at some point before the contract expires when he's 42. And if you knowingly lie to your insurer about the nature of your claim, that's felony insurance fraud.

If however his injury is actually career-ending like Bo's hip, then they're in a different situation. But I haven't seen that anywhere. Everything I've seen is people suggesting that his time with the Yankees should or will end without saying they think he can't every play again. But that's impossible- if he can play again, the Yankees are stuck with him, or at least his salary.
I can't see what basis the insurer rejects the claim on? Is there a presumption that the team would know what A-Rod was doing? I can see what you mean by discovery in that context but its hard to believe that a corporation could acknowledge in any sort of medical record if only to protect their own interests for future claims (A-Rod claims in 10 years the Yankees knew about and through in action sanctioned his behavior through inaction). I'm operating on the assumption A-Rod rehabs, goes through suspension and shows up ready to play, in August or next spring. If A-Rod annouces and declares himself ready to play, and the Yankees don't want him to, how do they weasel out of his money?

Could they bring a civil case in essence saying they signed him to a contract based on fraudlent information? Again, I'm not saying they win, I think they would do this as a gambit to maybe hasten a buyout settlement or simply embarass a very image conscious dude into walking away.

If the Yankees need a catcher the Padres have Nick Hundley under contract. He is signed for 3 mil this year and 4 mil next. He had a bad year last year, but he has decent power and is pretty good defensively. Pretty sure that when grandal gets back it wouldnt take too much to get him.

I can't see what basis the insurer rejects the claim on? Is there a presumption that the team would know what A-Rod was doing? I can see what you mean by discovery in that context but its hard to believe that a corporation could acknowledge in any sort of medical record if only to protect their own interests for future claims (A-Rod claims in 10 years the Yankees knew about and through in action sanctioned his behavior through inaction).

I'm operating on the assumption A-Rod rehabs, goes through suspension and shows up ready to play, in August or next spring. If A-Rod annouces and declares himself ready to play, and the Yankees don't want him to, how do they weasel out of his money?

Could they bring a civil case in essence saying they signed him to a contract based on fraudlent information? Again, I'm not saying they win, I think they would do this as a gambit to maybe hasten a buyout settlement or simply embarass a very image conscious dude into walking away.
I obviously haven't seen the actual text of A-Rod's deal so I can't say for sure. But I assume there are standard contract terms used by MLB with free agents, and if you could void that contract due to PED use or suspension someone would have done it already. I'm sure their lawyers can come up with something to sue him on for leverage but I can't imagine how they'd even get enough leverage to make A-Rod accept much less than the full value of his contract. What's in it for him to walk away from $100 million?

I just don't see any way to get out of this contract for the Yankees unless:

(1) A-Rod's injury is actually career-ending, and a bunch of doctors agree on that; or

(2) They offer him a buyout so huge that A-Rod decides that the amount of money he'd lose on the buyout is worth it to get out of NY and to free him up to sign a DH deal somewhere else. Gotta figure that buyout would be at least 70% or so of the value of his deal, right? And at some point, the Yanks might actually be better off just keeping him. I mean we're not talking about Casey McGahee here, he had an OPS+ of 112 last year.

Users who are viewing this thread