What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2022 World Cup Thread*** (1 Viewer)

It is partly cloudy and in the low 80's there today.

What a boon for the entire country. Good for them and I'm happy for Messi.

Happy for the country as well. I didn't realize how much economic hardship they've experienced recently. For a pretty big country it's amazing to see how much their currency has devalued in a few short years: USD to ARG peso

Half-spaces grades for the full World Cup.

My o/u for good performances used to be around 4.0, but he says his updated grading system yields slightly lower scores. So the # of guys coming in at 4+ across four games is not to be sneezed at. At the team level, the scores match what I thought I saw watching the games.

And if you look at the players who didn't perform it's basically who you'd expect, and mostly subs.

Really believe Berhalter got just about the most he could have gotten out of this group and that most of the criticism is edge cases and relatively minor stuff.

Last edited:
Finally decided to make an account on here after reading along in this thread most of the world cup. Never watched a futbol match in my life until the second group game of Argentina and followed them throughout. Can say I enjoyed watching most of the matches compared to a lot of the sports I grew up in the states watching. Looking even more forward to my trip to Europe in May and intend to catch a PSG game while in Paris to see Messi and Mbappe :)

Half-spaces grades for the full World Cup.

My o/u for good performances used to be around 4.0, but he says his updated grading system yields slightly lower scores. So the # of guys coming in at 4+ across four games is not to be sneezed at. At the team level, the scores match what I thought I saw watching the games.

And if you look at the players who didn't perform it's basically who you'd expect, and mostly subs.

Really believe Berhalter got just about the most he could have gotten out of this group and that most of the criticism is edge cases and relatively minor stuff.
I’d prefer a new coach and it looks like that’s the way things are headed, but I wouldn’t mind if Berhalter saw things out through the summer when more managers become available.

Argentina-France is officially the most-watched soccer game in U.S. history.

English TV (Fox): 17,726,000

Spanish TV (Telemundo): 6,040,000

English streaming (Fox): 1,281,776

Spanish streaming (Telemundo/Peacock): 2,960,000

Grand total: 28,007,776

That should make 30m achievable in 2026 fairly easy I hope.

Not only will the buzz be significantly higher due to hosting, the final should be in a much better time slot, something like 2-300pm in the afternoon.

Last edited:
That final was the most watched soccer game ever in the US.

Over 28 Million!!!!! So awesome.

So if I'm reading that right, 2nd most watched sporting event of the year in the US behind only the Super Bowl. Ahead of college football playoff, nba finals, world series.

Pretty cool. And a great game to get people hooked with. Glad it didn't end in the 2-0 snoozer like it looked like it was going to.

I think I heard that the numbers don't include streaming as well. Does that mean just not streaming from Fox soccer plus, or is it any TV streaming service (for example I watched on Youtube TV)?

So if I'm reading that right, 2nd most watched sporting event of the year in the US behind only the Super Bowl. Ahead of college football playoff, nba finals, world series.

Pretty cool. And a great game to get people hooked with. Glad it didn't end in the 2-0 snoozer like it looked like it was going to.

I don't think that is correct. The NFL had multiple games in 2022 that drew over 28 million. Ten to be exact.

No other sport/league/college drew more than 28m for any single game in the US.

Last edited:
I think I heard that the numbers don't include streaming as well. Does that mean just not streaming from Fox soccer plus, or is it any TV streaming service (for example I watched on Youtube TV)?

Ted's post above has the exact streaming numbers.

Last edited:
Whoops, looks like they had some math errors :) The game is now #3 all time, not #1

=======================

Jonathan Tannenwald

@thegoalkeeper

Let's try this again.

For Argentina-France...

Fox TV: 16,444,224
Fox streaming: 1,281,776
Telemundo TV: 6,040,000
Telemundo streaming: 2,960,000
Grand total: 26,726,000

No. 3 all time in U.S. history.

Apologies again for the mistakes earlier. Deleted the errant tweets.

Argentina-France is officially the most-watched soccer game in U.S. history.

English TV (Fox): 17,726,000

Spanish TV (Telemundo): 6,040,000

English streaming (Fox): 1,281,776

Spanish streaming (Telemundo/Peacock): 2,960,000

Grand total: 28,007,776

That should make 30m achievable in 2026 fairly easy I hope.

Not only will the buzz be significantly higher due to hosting, the final should be in a much better time slot, something like 2-300pm in the afternoon.

2-3pm in which time zone? I assume you mean the only time zone that matters (eastern) :)
-QG

Just found out that there is a kid out there with this lineage:

Maradona's grandson
Kun Aguero's Son
Messi's God son

I hope the kid chooses to play the piano because my god the pressure if he chooses futbol......

Last edited:
Happy for Messi. Like still actively happy for him. It would have just been so wrong for him never to win one.

(edit)

I’m happy for him too but I want to revisit the GOAT discussion - lots of pundits are saying he needed this to cement things. Two reasons I disagree:
1. He was GOAT no matter what happened in this tournament.
2. Haaland - he’s the best player on the planet at the moment - with the expansion of the field he’ll most likely play in some world cups but it’s highly unlikely he’ll come close to winning one. He has a long way to go in his career but his trajectory could see him be a top 10 player all-time. Point is - winning the WC is nice but isn’t the same as winning other trophies.

I’m happy for him too but I want to revisit the GOAT discussion - lots of pundits are saying he needed this to cement things. Two reasons I disagree:
2. Haaland - he’s the best player on the planet at the moment - with the expansion of the field he’ll most likely play in some world cups but it’s highly unlikely he’ll come close to winning one. He has a long way to go in his career but his trajectory could see him be a top 10 player all-time. Point is - winning the WC is nice but isn’t the same as winning other trophies.
1. I agree with you. I'm just glad not to have to listen to the contra-arguments anymore.

2. Haaland's start to his career is being under-appreciated. Sounds crazy, given how much attention he's getting. But if he does this for another 12 years he's going to break so many records.

Maradona's grandson
Kun Aguero's Son
Messi's God son

I hope the kid chooses to play the piano because my god the pressure if he chooses futbol......
Kid will probably end up growing up in Miami where Kun has a big mansion. We may want to hope for him to play soccer :lol:

1. I agree with you. I'm just glad not to have to listen to the contra-arguments anymore.

2. Haaland's start to his career is being under-appreciated. Sounds crazy, given how much attention he's getting. But if he does this for another 12 years he's going to break so many records.
I agree and have been saying for a bit that he's my #1 player overall right now. That said, after looking at this site that I linked earlier in this thread, I've somehow UNDERappreciated Mbappe. Especially when you consider what he does with assists.

As a pure goal scorer, I think Haaland is unmatched. And, now that he's on City, he could smash some goal scoring records. But, even as good as he's been, Mbappe is just as ridiculous and is more well rounded. And both are actually a good bit ahead of where Messi (and CR7) was at the same time.

Maradona's grandson
Kun Aguero's Son
Messi's God son

Kid will probably end up growing up in Miami where Kun has a big mansion. We may want to hope for him to play soccer :lol:
No such luck. Kun and Maradona's daughter got divorced around 2012. Benjamin was born in 2009 and is 13

Maradona's grandson
Kun Aguero's Son
Messi's God son

No such luck. Kun and Maradona's daughter got divorced around 2012. Benjamin was born in 2009 and is 13
Worth a shot lol

Users who are viewing this thread