What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2024 Golf Thread, pick up the pace, HCP be a changing *** (1 Viewer)

Interesting.  I have never heard anyone ask if they may finish while playing, I've always heard them announce as if it were a right.  Has your experience been different?  Not to mention, the announcer in the clip said he was well within his "rights."  I swear i will never know all the rules of golf.
I have had the same playing experience as you, but I did know that wasn't the "rule." I have seen it happen in high-level team match play events.  I've been asked to mark from like a foot away before. 

ETA: Wait, now that I'm thinking about that I think that's wrong. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a fickle, stupid game sometimes.  

I finally got down to a 7 handicap.  Best I've ever played. Then, the last four rounds, somehow I'm hitting everything fat and shoving my driver again.  Keeping it in play, but have shot 94 (incredibly high winds), 86, 91, 89, 89. :bag:  

Has anyone ever overcome the yips?  It is a terrible feeling to stand over a putt already convinced you are going to miss.  Liquid swing helps a little, but wondering if anyone has genuinely beat them.  It’s been years since I have felt comfortable with a putter (and there have been several).
No - Knock on wood, but I do find myself getting more stressed over short putts as I age.  For me, the key is being certain of a target, aiming at the target, and then making a smooth stroke to that target.  When I doubt my line, I tend to re-direct the club face mid-swing, and then everything falls apart and I usually miss.  Here's a good article on it that breaks the yips into three categories (I'm number three), and what can be done once you've diagnosed it.  I think it helps to figure out what the root cause of it is and then focus on how to fix it.  Good luck.

Yips

No - Knock on wood, but I do find myself getting more stressed over short putts as I age.  For me, the key is being certain of a target, aiming at the target, and then making a smooth stroke to that target.  When I doubt my line, I tend to re-direct the club face mid-swing, and then everything falls apart and I usually miss.  Here's a good article on it that breaks the yips into three categories (I'm number three), and what can be done once you've diagnosed it.  I think it helps to figure out what the root cause of it is and then focus on how to fix it.  Good luck.

Yips
Thanks.  What’s so tough is that in my 20’s it was my short game that was my savior.  Ballstriking was average at best.  Now in my 40’s it’s a complete role reversal.  What once was second nature is now completely foreign...like forgetting how to read.

I finally got down to a 7 handicap.  Best I've ever played. Then, the last four rounds, somehow I'm hitting everything fat and shoving my driver again.  Keeping it in play, but have shot 94 (incredibly high winds), 86, 91, 89, 89. :bag:  
thud.

the sound of numerous four-ball invites never being sent.  

thud.

the sound of numerous four-ball invites never being sent.  
On a positive note my partner (a 2) and I shot even par in a horserace this past week.  The two negatives were: 1) I had to get myself all liquored up to do it; and 2) I missed a 4 footer for the win on 18 and then proceeded to lose the chip off by a foot.  $1200 miss. 

Still grinding. Getting a little bit better all the time but still have my bad rounds. The good thing is that my bad rounds are now like 100-105 (and I pretty much need a disaster to be over 100 these days)  instead of 110. A year ago, I had never shot better than a 102.

Shot my best score ever (a 93) out in Colorado a few weeks ago but it came with a few asterisks (Colorado air, shorter tees that what I normally play and a breakfast ball on the first tee) but I was still relatively proud of it. (especially on a course I'd never played)  I hit some great iron shots.  I just cant seem to put everything together in a given round. One day my irons are great but my slice off the tee comes back. The next round I'm hitting 12 out of 14 fairways but my putting is atrocious.  I just know I'd break 90 if I could put it all together just once.

The one place that I'm consistently MUCH better than I was a year ago is chipping. I was hilariously bad a year ago. Now I'm at least giving myself a chance. (going to the cavity back Cleveland CBX wedge has helped. My old blade didnt have the bounce I need) I've also got 2 chip in birdies from 35+ yards this year. Making a lot more long putts too. Unfortunately, a lot of the LONG putts have tended to come after an abysmal approach shot, so most have been an unlikely par save or a merciful bogey. :bag:

Still have 2 open spots in my bag that I'm trying to figure out how to fill. I'm not that long off the tee so when I play from the blue tees at my club (about 6400 yards, 132 slope) I leave myself some really long 2nd shots on a few of the longer par 4's (when I dont hit a very good drive)  Unfortunately, I dont have a consistent 200-220 club in my bag. I have a 3 hybrid that I bought off the rack a few years ago, but I can't get it out there past 200 all that often. Trying to figure out what fairway wood I can get that I'll actually be able to hit. Not sure I can hit a regular 3 wood off the deck with any consistency. (maybe a 3 wood HL?)

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Still grinding. Getting a little bit better all the time but still have my bad rounds. The good thing is that my bad rounds are now like 100-105 (and I pretty much need a disaster to be over 100 these days)  instead of 110. A year ago, I had never shot better than a 102.

Shot my best score ever (a 93) out in Colorado a few weeks ago but it came with a few asterisks (Colorado air, shorter tees that what I normally play and a breakfast ball on the first tee) but I was still relatively proud of it. (especially on a course I'd never played)  I hit some great iron shots.  I just cant seem to put everything together in a given round. One day my irons are great but my slice off the tee comes back. The next round I'm hitting 12 out of 14 fairways but my putting is atrocious.  I just know I'd break 90 if I could put it all together just once.

The one place that I'm consistently MUCH better than I was a year ago is chipping. I was hilariously bad a year ago. Now I'm at least giving myself a chance. (going to the cavity back Cleveland CBX wedge has helped. My old blade didnt have the bounce I need) I've also got 2 chip in birdies from 35+ yards this year. Making a lot more long putts too. Unfortunately, a lot of the LONG putts have tended to come after an abysmal approach shot, so most have been an unlikely par save or a merciful bogey. :bag:

Still have 2 open spots in my bag that I'm trying to figure out how to fill. I'm not that long off the tee so when I play from the blue tees at my club (about 6400 yards, 132 slope) I leave myself some really long 2nd shots on a few of the longer par 4's (when I dont hit a very good drive)  Unfortunately, I dont have a consistent 200-220 club in my bag. I have a 3 hybrid that I bought off the rack a few years ago, but I can't get it out there past 200 all that often. Trying to figure out what fairway wood I can get that I'll actually be able to hit. Not sure I can hit a regular 3 wood off the deck with any consistency. (maybe a 3 wood HL?)
It's masochistic to play from these tees with your handicap.  Move up!

Shot the lock off the wallet and bought a demo set of '18 AP1s.  Played with them for the first time last week - these irons are fantastic!  
Wonder if my wife would approve of a Torrey Pines excursion when I'm out your way in a few weeks...  :whistle:  

After a few weeks of deliberate range time for practice, it’s clear I have no idea how to practice.  Yeah, it starts out as getting the swing into rhythm, but always devolves into “hit the ##### out of it!”; I wasn’t getting anything out of it.  Decided on a new tact:  downtown Winter Park (Orlando area) has a small municipal 9-hole course.  I leave work a tad early once a week and go walk it.  Now I have something to aim for with my swings, but I’m not stuck in full round mode trying to get some magical low score.  I’ve also removed my driver from the bag, I just cannot get it to do anything positive (I’m convinced a shorter shaft would help).  My 3 hybrid is gold for me, getting 200yds clean and straight.  7-iron for 150ish, and then a nice chip and putt, I’m playing bogey golf...it’s so enjoyable!

You might also try playing a “mock round” at the range as a means of getting good practice.  I have a few courses that I know very well and so I play them in my head at the range.  I know that on hole 1 is a driver and 7 iron most days.  So I hit my driver on the range and if I hit it decent then I hit a 7 iron next.   If I didn’t hit it well or far off target then instead I hit a 6 or 5.  It keeps me focused on target golf and mixes up the clubs instead of hitting 20 drivers in a row.  Something to try, if you like.

Has anyone else read Ben Hogan’s 5 secrets book?  The chapter on the grip was worth the cost of the entire book.  Amazing illustrations.  I realize today that the inconsistency of my ball striking when I was younger was because my grip was all messed up.  Most overlooked part of the process, IMO.

I don't disagree. I usually play with my brother (he's a 10 handicap and hits it over 300) and I just hate the idea of walking up and playing from a different tee.

I know that's completely irrational but I really only feel like the legnth of the course hurts me on like 4 or 5 holes. But it does basically take away all my room for error off the tee

I don't disagree. I usually play with my brother (he's a 10 handicap and hits it over 300) and I just hate the idea of walking up and playing from a different tee.

I know that's completely irrational but I really only feel like the legnth of the course hurts me on like 4 or 5 holes. But it does basically take away all my room for error off the tee
Very likely you’re losing 2/round on the par threes. 

Has anyone else read Ben Hogan’s 5 secrets book?  The chapter on the grip was worth the cost of the entire book.  Amazing illustrations.  I realize today that the inconsistency of my ball striking when I was younger was because my grip was all messed up.  Most overlooked part of the process, IMO.
I've read all Hogans and Penicks books

Played for the second time since october :(

No range - hit about 10 balls before tee off.

Slapped together an 80 :excited:

My best hole was a birdie from the woods - i hooded a 5 iron - hit a stinger through a tiny window - caught a couple leaves - ended up 5 feet from the hole made the putt :lol:

I had a few shots out of the woods that were awesome ....

I played great on the front. I was just stiff enough where I didn't over swing and my timing was great. Putting suffered a little early - missed a few short putts.

The back the wheels came off lol

Right there with you...have no idea where driver is going.  Considering benching it for 2-iron. And I just reshafted it too.

• Smile
First 18 hope round this afternoon. Chaska Town course. Tee time is 3:09. Air temp around 96. Heat index prob 110. 

####. Definitely not going to be drinking during the round. 
Played the Chaska town course Sunday. Beautiful day.  Would have been a beautiful round of 84 from the greens. I'd have been very happy with that. (Written with my teeth clenched). Except. A. 65. Year. Old. Random. Single. Joined. Our. Twosome. And. Proceeded. To.  Par. The. Front. Nine.  Bogeyed. 12. And. Birdied. 17. From. The. Green. Tees.  

I lost my sense of humor for the rest of the day. I purchased the driver and FW I've been putting off. Lesson on Wednesday.  

Love this game.  

Really hitting me hard now that I'm not going to be able a play a round of golf this year for the first time I started playing at 15.  :(   

I think I'll be able to go chip and putt as much as I want, but no full swings and no rounds.   

16 is the 'short' 319 yd par 4. 17 is par playing 450 from the greens, with a 225 carry over the marsh. 3 is the 'stupid' tree hole. Love it when I drop a tee shot within 30 or so of the green with a legitimate eagle chip/bird opportunity. $#*%! how many times I've found the tree. 

16 is the 'short' 319 yd par 4. 17 is par playing 450 from the greens, with a 225 carry over the marsh. 3 is the 'stupid' tree hole. Love it when I drop a tee shot within 30 or so of the green with a legitimate eagle chip/bird opportunity. $#*%! how many times I've found the tree. 
Oh damn, that's right, 17 is a tough hole.

4 iron to the right side of the tree. 60° on the green. Don’t mess with the ####### tree. 

This was probably good advice. Played entirely from the whites for the first time all year (slope 124, about 5800 yards on the card) and broke 90 for the first time tonight. Nearly choked it away on the last hole with an embarrassingly bad lag putt from the fringe (was getting dark and i forgot there was a ridge that I couldn't be on the wrong side of :bag: ) but knocked in a 25 footer for the 89. :thumbup:

My brother was shuked as to why I was so despondent after the first putt and so elated after the save.

I've never had a hole in one.  I have holed shots from the fairway (100-170 yds) a couple of times in the past.  I've been close on several occasions but not in recent years. I've hit the hole on the fly and had the ball bounce off the flag stick and off the green, and I've had a ball be short by an inch or so of the cup (one more rotation) but that was many years ago.  

I've had two very close calls in the last two weeks.  In back to back rounds I've missed a hole in one by a collective 5 inches (on two separate par 3s - one 9 iron, one 7 iron).  

I'm closing in on it... hopefully it happens sometime soon!  

That is all.  

I've never had a hole in one.  I have holed shots from the fairway (100-170 yds) a couple of times in the past.  I've been close on several occasions but not in recent years. I've hit the hole on the fly and had the ball bounce off the flag stick and off the green, and I've had a ball be short by an inch or so of the cup (one more rotation) but that was many years ago.  

I've had two very close calls in the last two weeks.  In back to back rounds I've missed a hole in one by a collective 5 inches (on two separate par 3s - one 9 iron, one 7 iron).  

That is all.  
We have a group we play the same course every Sunday morning.  We throw money in for greenies.  One summer on the 8th hole par 3, I had 7 weeks in a row peppering that pin.  I'd say those 7 rounds was under 10ft combined.

Still don't have one.....kicksrock

I’ve holed out from 255 on a par 5, multiple times from the fairway (and one fairway bunker) on par 4s. Never on a 3. 

Club fitting, specifically length:

Who's done it?  Were you surprised with suggested alterations (as in, you figured shorter, they said longer)?  Were you pleased with how the change affected your game?

It’s a bit of an expensive venture, at least when you’re on a bit of a tight budget, but I continually read of the positives for club fitting and I’m convinced that standard shaft length is too long for me (I’m 5’10” and feel the club head is way too far away from body)

Falcon’s Fire here in Orlando in a couple hours.  Never played there, looking forward to it

working on my swing.   I used to be as low as 3.2 at one ttime,    spent the last 10 years in the 6-8 range because I don't practice anymore and just rely on my experience.   Big mistake.

So this year, started out I couldn't hit a driver, which was the exact opposite problem i had last year ( i take off about 6 months per year to ski, don't play golf from Nov- Mar/Apr).   I get my annual lesson from my old pro he shows me whats wrong-  not rotating hips.  I think I solved that and I did but that brought in a new problem -   sliding and early extension (shoving the hips forward).   Meanwhile, irons have been ok to good.  chipping horrible, putting ok.

I just spent 2 days with a buddy of mine playing golf and he was taking videos of me and showing me my swing on the course.   it really helped.   He gave me some advice that I've been incorporating.   Then I watched a couple videos to specifically target sliding.   I'm excited now to go play and get this all dialed in.   After an abysmal 88, i went 78, 77, 78 the last 3 rounds and all of those could have easily been better minus a couple stupid mental errors.   We'll see if I can pull this off and get back to shooting low 70's golf

• Smile
I’ve played as a single digit for 25 years, don’t have an ace.
My brother in law (a 2) and his brother (a class A pro) both don’t have one. Probably have played multiple thousands of rounds between the two of one. I got one the first year I really started playing regularly. My other brother in law, who is like a 20 handicap, has 2. 

It’s all luck. 

That is all.  
Had one.  June 25, 2009.  Driving home, news came out Michael Jackson died.

Chance encounter last week, buddy of mine and I got paired with a current NBA player and his Dad.  Cool guys.  Any way on one of the par 3’s, he asked, ‘you ever get an ace?  So I’m like ‘yep, June 25, 2009’.  And his eyes perk up ‘That’s the day I got drafted!!’

So I come back...’No way!  So what else happened that day?’

Without hesitating he answers, ‘Michael Jackson died!’

Anyway, played like shyte today  :rant:

Screwed up my elbow so taking a couple weeks off leading up to trip to Bend where I hopefully play 3 or 4 times.

Bad part is last round was the worst I have played in years. Probably lost 10 balls. Was a hard course and weather sucked ### which I stupidly didn’t prepare for, but still.

My brother in law (a 2) and his brother (a class A pro) both don’t have one. Probably have played multiple thousands of rounds between the two of one. I got one the first year I really started playing regularly. My other brother in law, who is like a 20 handicap, has 2. 

It’s all luck. 
I played for 25 years before I got one. There is two guys at my club that have 25 total.

I've played golf for over 20 years now(since my early teens).  Been anywhere from a 1-7 handicap for the last 15.  Never have had a hole in one.  

My brother is 4 years younger than me.   He started playing 2 years after I did.  He's been a scratch to a +2 handicap since high school(plays all the time).  He's never had one.

My best friend has golfed as long as I have(we were on the high school golf team together).  He's similar in skill to me.  He's never had one.

His father has golfed for 40+ years.  He's always been about a 10-12 handicap for as long as I've known him.  He's never had one.

The four of us went out two weekends ago for a round.  My brother brought his 8 year old son with.  His son has hit the range and sometimes comes with and hits a few balls and putts on the greens, but has never played a full round.  We are on hole 11 at our local and it's a short 140 yard, slightly downhill par 3.  It's 105 yards or so from the front tees so after we all hit, then my brother tells his son to go hit one from the front tees(since that's about as far as he can hit a ball right now).  Of course, while we're all standing there watching.....  4 pretty decent golfers who don't have an ace among them..... My 8 year old nephew holes out.   :lmao:    I think I laughed for like 4 holes because of the ridiculousness of it all.  Kid's probably hit the ball straight at his target 3 times in his entire life and he has a hole in one without ever playing a full round.  Golf.... love it.

encaitar said:
I've played golf for over 20 years now(since my early teens).  Been anywhere from a 1-7 handicap for the last 15.  Never have had a hole in one.  

My brother is 4 years younger than me.   He started playing 2 years after I did.  He's been a scratch to a +2 handicap since high school(plays all the time).  He's never had one.

My best friend has golfed as long as I have(we were on the high school golf team together).  He's similar in skill to me.  He's never had one.

His father has golfed for 40+ years.  He's always been about a 10-12 handicap for as long as I've known him.  He's never had one.

The four of us went out two weekends ago for a round.  My brother brought his 8 year old son with.  His son has hit the range and sometimes comes with and hits a few balls and putts on the greens, but has never played a full round.  We are on hole 11 at our local and it's a short 140 yard, slightly downhill par 3.  It's 105 yards or so from the front tees so after we all hit, then my brother tells his son to go hit one from the front tees(since that's about as far as he can hit a ball right now).  Of course, while we're all standing there watching.....  4 pretty decent golfers who don't have an ace among them..... My 8 year old nephew holes out.   :lmao:    I think I laughed for like 4 holes because of the ridiculousness of it all.  Kid's probably hit the ball straight at his target 3 times in his entire life and he has a hole in one without ever playing a full round.  Golf.... love it.
So many Likes!!! What a thrill for him and with you guys there. Humbling but TOTALLY awesome!

encaitar said:

Great story. Brings up the theory that we forget these kids don't know how hard golf is so the just aim and swing. 

There's a lesson in there somewhere for us old guys that over analyze each swing

TheDirtyWord said:
Had one.  June 25, 2009.  Driving home, news came out Michael Jackson died.

Chance encounter last week, buddy of mine and I got paired with a current NBA player and his Dad.  Cool guys.  Any way on one of the par 3’s, he asked, ‘you ever get an ace?  So I’m like ‘yep, June 25, 2009’.  And his eyes perk up ‘That’s the day I got drafted!!’

So I come back...’No way!  So what else happened that day?’

Without hesitating he answers, ‘Michael Jackson died!’

Anyway, played like shyte today  :rant:
Who, and was he any good? 

Users who are viewing this thread