What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official - 2024 Major League Baseball Thread - Mahomes is Better At Baseball Than Jose Abreu*** (5 Viewers)

Red Sox are officially .500, exactly where I've said they'll be all along.

They're a .500 club.

Maybe. The schedule just doesn't let up.

I was born in 75; babe ruth was done by 1935, when was the last freak like Ohtani played?

I think you answered your own question there. To do what he's doing is stuff of legend.
I’m not sure if I’m just not as connected to sports as I used to be and so I’m mid-reading things, but it feels like he’s not getting nearly the respect and attention he deserves. What he’s doing is insane.

I’m not sure if I’m just not as connected to sports as I used to be and so I’m mid-reading things, but it feels like he’s not getting nearly the respect and attention he deserves. What he’s doing is insane.

As far as sports are part of society, part of me thinks he's worthy of a few minutes on the national nightly news at some point. Not only is he an international player, he's doing something nobody but Ruth has ever done.

He's so enormous without any hype that I can see. Maybe we are both disconnected from sports in some way. Judge winning the MVP last year so handily (okay, he led Ohtani in Fangraphs WAR -- and 60 HRs with testing for amphetamines and steroids is quite incredible) is indicative that maybe he's not quite getting the respect he deserves. (Though to do what Judge did is quite remarkable. It just seems like there's a flat feeling to Ohtani's hype.)

eta* Really, Ohtani is simply Ruthian, and you don't see it more than once a century.

eta2* That's a really long way of saying that I agree with you. Feels like this should be a bigger story than it is.

Last edited:

As far as sports are part of society, part of me thinks he's worthy of a few minutes on the national nightly news at some point. Not only is he an international player, he's doing something nobody but Ruth has ever done.

He's so enormous without any hype that I can see. Maybe we are both disconnected from sports in some way. Judge winning the MVP last year so handily (okay, he led Ohtani in Fangraphs WAR and 60 HRs with testing for amphetamines and steroids is quite incredible) is indicative that maybe he's not quite getting the respect he deserves. (Though to do what Judge did is quite remarkable. It just seems like there's a flat feeling to Ohtani's hype.)

eta* Really, Ohtani is simply Ruthian, and you don't see it more than once a century.

eta2* That's a really long way of saying that I agree with you. Feels like this should be a bigger story than it is.
Should be a way bigger story, I agree. Being on the west coast doesn’t help

I think if he was a NYY it definitely would be

He's so enormous without any hype that I can see. Maybe we are both disconnected from sports in some way. Judge winning the MVP last year so handily (okay, he led Ohtani in Fangraphs WAR and 60 HRs with testing for amphetamines and steroids is quite incredible) is indicative that maybe he's not quite getting the respect he deserves. (Though to do what Judge did is quite remarkable. It just seems like there's a flat feeling to Ohtani's hype.)

Yep West Coast non-Dodger is the issue. Even if he was in Chicago he'd be getting a ton more press. East Coast bias is real...they just don't stay up to watch him play a game that starts at 10:30 pm their time.

Yep West Coast non-Dodger is the issue. Even if he was in Chicago he'd be getting a ton more press. East Coast bias is real...they just don't stay up to watch him play a game that starts at 10:30 pm their time.
I think the language barrier is a thing too. Harder to emotionally connect to a guy that doesn’t speak your language. And he doesn’t make up for it with a whole lot of flair like an Ichiro or Acuna does.

That and MLB is effing horrible at promoting their own game

It's probably because there's a quest for the television cash grab more than any sort of terrible promotion capability, but I get what you're saying. They sure do shoot themselves in the foot with all of that television blackout/availability stuff.

and apple tv blacks out your home team if you don't carry their service if they are carrying your team, unlike the NFL which makes exemptions for the home markets of the teams involved.

It's probably because there's a quest for the television cash grab more than any sort of terrible promotion capability, but I get what you're saying. They sure do shoot themselves in the foot with all of that television blackout/availability stuff.
It's a seven hour drive from a different state to watch a Mariners game in their home stadium. And I can't watch them on tv in my living room.

It's a seven hour drive from a different state to watch a Mariners game in their home stadium. And I can't watch them on tv in my living room.
This is what will never make sense to me. I get why Ohtani's not a bigger story - baseball's a regional sport. But you have a regional sport that a large % of your market...can't watch? Baffling.

Pitcher wins is one of the dumbest stats in baseball.
- Starter goes 7.2 innings, leaves with a 1 run lead and bases empty
- Reliever comes in and gives up the lead, but gets bailed out by the offense in the bottom of the 8th

There should be a way for the official scorer to award the W to the starter here. Or just don't bother keeping track of it.

By the way, I know there was a lot of handwringing about the new pitch clock and attendant rules, but I'm able to watch baseball again without wanting to smash something. It's been a boon for the product, in my opinion. Good stuff.
I didn't think it was needed and I am fine without it. However, I will agree it has helped streamline the unnecessary delays and has been an improvement. I wish it was just a touch longer (say 3 seconds more) because in some important times of games it makes the game seemed rush which isn't a good thing. I want the game to be streamlined but not rushed and sometimes during a game the clock rushes the game play. I think that isn't a good thing for the game (but pretty minor).

I also get they have to be very quick with the ball/strike auto call but sometimes it is a little too quick. I would guess as time goes on the borderline calls will go from being called to being let go as they will become less frequent.

and apple tv blacks out your home team if you don't carry their service if they are carrying your team, unlike the NFL which makes exemptions for the home markets of the teams involved.
This drives me absolutely nuts. I get it. Apple paid big money to get that game but it is terrible for the game itself. MLB needed to negotiate that better for their fans (the few they have left)

I think the language barrier is a thing too. Harder to emotionally connect to a guy that doesn’t speak your language. And he doesn’t make up for it with a whole lot of flair like an Ichiro or Acuna does.
Ohtani has a good personality and could connect to viewers if given the chance. The biggest issue is that he plays for the Angels. It's not a team that gets the publicity (and generally hasn't warranted it). Trout should have been more touted as well over the years based on what he accomplished early on. He never got his due respect either.

As @ChiefD said, MLB is terrible about promoting their sport and players. I am not sure why that is but it definitely is a huge contributing factor.

You don't have Root Sports?

I mean....Mike Trout had been the best player in baseball for 10 years. He could walk around in a mall in any large city and be unbothered. It's bizarre to me how anonymous and invisible players for LAA are in the world of sports.

I didn't think it was needed and I am fine without it.

The later innings in a game were getting impenetrable as a casual fan. There was a pitch, and then walking around the mound breathing, grabbing the rosin bag, and stalling. (I used to be a hardcore fan. That changed when the human rain delay -- not Grover -- but Josh Beckett started that garbage of four-hour regular season games with the Sox.) two and three-quarter - three hours I can do. Not four.

The radio to the pitcher and the clock have been a godsend to this viewer.

I understand the late-game complaint and agree that two more seconds from the seventh on wouldn't hurt, but it seems to be going okay in terms of compliance and performance.

Nope, we're on Dish. They lost Root a few years back. No Mariners and no Kraken. :(

Nope, we're on Dish. They lost Root a few years back. No Mariners and no Kraken. :(

Oooof.

I'm with evil Comcast but just because we bundle the internet with cable. Stop by anytime to catch some riveting Mariner fever!

Oooof.

I'm with evil Comcast but just because we bundle the internet with cable. Stop by anytime to catch some riveting Mariner fever!

Yeah, it blows. I've sworn off Directv and our local company actually somehow has worse customer service than Directv so I put up with it. I'm not a huge baseball fan anyway, I was more commenting on the draconian blackout rules of MLB. But when the playoffs come and Seattle IS IN I will certainly watch with joy and entertainment.

I understand the late-game complaint and agree that two more seconds from the seventh on wouldn't hurt, but it seems to be going okay in terms of compliance and performance.
I agree it has gone much better than I expected and it makes the pace a lot like a high school game (and they have no clock).

My only complaint is the rush aspect that happens sometimes. I really think two or three more seconds would benefit that greatly. All in all a good addition.

get a vpn

get a vpn
The last time I got one of those I needed penicillin.

I mean....Mike Trout had been the best player in baseball for 10 years. He could walk around in a mall in any large city and be unbothered. It's bizarre to me how anonymous and invisible players for LAA are in the world of sports.
In Trout’s case, he strikes me as the type of guy that is happier without anyone recognizing him.

But even East coast guys don’t seem to get THAT much love overall. Judge got a lot of attention last year, but even that seemed a bit more subdued than I expected from a NYY. What other stats are really getting attention? Acuna is getting some, but he’s also having an historic season so far (first guy to ever have 20 HR, 40 SB, and 50 RBIs before the break) and outside of a few highlight videos, does anyone in the general public care?

I remember as a kid being obsessed with guys like Ricky Henderson, Griffey, Bo Jackson, Big Hurt, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Maddux, etc Is there excitement around anybody today like there was 20-30 years ago?

Maybe it’s just that baseball really has completely lost kids and they’re way more obsessed with the NBA and NFL and MLB is a distant 3rd if that.

In Trout’s case, he strikes me as the type of guy that is happier without anyone recognizing him.

But even East coast guys don’t seem to get THAT much love overall. Judge got a lot of attention last year, but even that seemed a bit more subdued than I expected from a NYY. What other stats are really getting attention? Acuna is getting some, but he’s also having an historic season so far (first guy to ever have 20 HR, 40 SB, and 50 RBIs before the break) and outside of a few highlight videos, does anyone in the general public care?

I remember as a kid being obsessed with guys like Ricky Henderson, Griffey, Bo Jackson, Big Hurt, Pedro, Randy Johnson, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Maddux, etc Is there excitement around anybody today like there was 20-30 years ago?

Maybe it’s just that baseball really has completely lost kids and they’re way more obsessed with the NBA and NFL and MLB is a distant 3rd if that.
It's all very localized, kind of interesting. Rutschman love galore around here among the kids, but you're right there's not that big level of attention on anybody. Guys like Trout, Judge, Ohtani who's the only the best baseball player of all ****ing time.. they are pretty quiet guys.. and the Angels are a lame franchise, should have kept it as California Angels

(When I think about it, sure Rutschman is popular locally but Justin Tucker must be 10x moreso, and Lamar is reaching godlike status)

Last edited:
(When I think about it, sure Rutschman is popular locally but Justin Tucker must be 10x moreso, and Lamar is reaching godlike status)
Rutschman is the biggest local MLBer since Ripken. Machado was (relatively) huge, but I think Adley has passed him already. But you're right - Lamar Jackson is the closest thing to Cal, Jr since Cal, Jr in these parts.

It's all very localized, kind of interesting. Rutschman love galore around here among the kids, but you're right there's not that big level of attention on anybody. Guys like Trout, Judge, Ohtani who's the only the best baseball player of all ****ing time.. they are pretty quiet guys.. and the Angels are a lame franchise, should have kept it as California Angels

Same here - Jose Ramirez is a legend among the youth in my bubble. No ****s given on Ohtani though.

Totally anecdotal: my 18 year old son couldn't even name all MLB teams, let alone 10 players in the league. He'd get Ohtani, Judge, and...that might be it. He has never in his life sat down with me to watch a baseball game.

He occasionally watches an NBA playoff game with me. But he spends tons of time watching youtube NBA highlight videos, videos breaking down top players in ______ NBA category, videos breaking down player movement. He knows every rumored scenario of where Dame is going and what Portland might get back for him. He'll play fantasy football with me this fall. Baseball isn't even a flicker on his attention span.

My nineteen year-old nephew is avidly into baseball and is a Rays fan. He knows pretty much everybody in the league. But he's a sports junkie already. His friends are also baseball fans. I'll have to ask him what the kids he hangs out casually watch or do.

The Phillies became the first team to sweep the Rays this year.

World Series preview? Other than maybe the Braves, not sure if there is a team in the NL that is as talented as the Phillies on paper. The Rays are stacked of course but the AL is much, much better.
Don’t count out the Dodgers yet :boxing:

49 wins with zero healthy starting pitchers.
Anxious to see what Friedman does before the deadline

World Series preview? Other than maybe the Braves, not sure if there is a team in the NL that is as talented as the Phillies on paper. The Rays are stacked of course but the AL is much, much better.

Never can count out the Dodgers but yes I'm very concerned about their starting pitching. Kershaw is still awesome but can he hold up? Outside of him, they're relying on a lot of young guys. If this rotation was healthy, I would instantly have them as the team to beat in the NL (maybe the entire league). I'm just not sure how they can win in the playoffs with that rotation (especially now with May officially out).

Never can count out the Dodgers but yes I'm very concerned about their starting pitching. Kershaw is still awesome but can he hold up? Outside of him, they're relying on a lot of young guys. If this rotation was healthy, I would instantly have them as the team to beat in the NL (maybe the entire league). I'm just not sure how they can win in the playoffs with that rotation (especially now with May officially out).
Urias came off the DL 2 starts back and looked good last night but yes, you’re right

Trade for Ohtani and give him a 5 year 300 million contract.

Gunnar had a heck of a game against the Yankees last night and it was only the 4th inning.

Per MLB.com "Here were Henderson’s stats heading into the fifth: 4-for-4 with two singles, two home runs, five RBIs and three runs scored."

Let's Go O's!

Trade for Ohtani and give him a 5 year 300 million contract.
I’m in

Gunnar had a heck of a game against the Yankees last night and it was only the 4th inning.

Per MLB.com "Here were Henderson’s stats heading into the fifth: 4-for-4 with two singles, two home runs, five RBIs and three runs scored."

Let's Go O's!
I keep waiting for the bottom to drop out but, even though they're around .500 over the last 30-some games, they keep chugging. The starting pitching has been far better than I thought they'd be, but they have to get some middle relief help because I don't see that continuing.

Users who are viewing this thread