What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****OFFICIAL BIG BLUE OFFSEASON THREAD****** (1 Viewer)

harryhood

Footballguy
(Rotoworld) Giants have begun negotiations with potential free agent RB Derrick Ward.

Impact: Ward, who fractured his fibula in early December, could have returned for the Super Bowl with a fully healed leg. He appeared to be expendable after Ahmad Bradshaw's playoff coming out party, but the Giants want to preserve their depth if possible.

Thunder and Lightning and Lightning?

:lmao:

ETA::: Title Changed

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Bradshaw owner I am not happy to read this, but if re-signed it surely means Droughns will be shown the door...as he should. I think Bradshaw earned the #2 role, why would Ward re-sign to be a #3? or do the Giants believe he is a better option than Bradshaw?

As a Bradshaw owner I am not happy to read this, but if re-signed it surely means Droughns will be shown the door...as he should. I think Bradshaw earned the #2 role, why would Ward re-sign to be a #3? or do the Giants believe he is a better option than Bradshaw?
:confused: I did not expect Ward to go anywhere to start but to go as a backup with the potential. He looked good early in the year and with bradshaw coming on he looked expendable. Not sure what is going on there.

Jacobs averaged less than 3.2 yards a carry in the playoffs, the Giants had no choice but to re-sign Ward. If anything were to happen to Bradshaw next year, they'd be toast.

Jacobs averaged less than 3.2 yards a carry in the playoffs, the Giants had no choice but to re-sign Ward. If anything were to happen to Bradshaw next year, they'd be toast.
Ok lets leave the AB v. Jacobs garbage to your other thread. This signing is exactly what Giants FOOTBALL fans should want. This just says they are going to be RBBC for a long while. Whether it be Jacobs/AB or Jacobs/Ward or Ward/AB, there will be a committee approach, running the ball a TON and letting manning hit on those intermediate routes. Sounds good to me!!!

Good signing.

The Giants needed all of the their RBs this year. Quality depth is good to have.

harryhood said:
H.K. said:
Ok lets leave the AB v. Jacobs garbage to your other thread. This signing is exactly what Giants FOOTBALL fans should want. This just says they are going to be RBBC for a long while. Whether it be Jacobs/AB or Jacobs/Ward or Ward/AB, there will be a committee approach, running the ball a TON and letting manning hit on those intermediate routes. Sounds good to me!!!
:confused: Bradshaw averaged 4.3 YPC in the playoffs and led the G-men with his 4 game cumulative total in that category. He's the guy, and Giants fans and FFers need to know who the handcuff will be in 2008. Ward very well could be the #2 next year.

If this year showed anything, it is having a stable of good RBs is a nice luxury - and possibly a necessity. Good signing and shouldnt cost them much.

What are the big holes for the Giants right now? Their line played so freakin well (OL, but DL speaks for itself)... perhaps a game breaker at DB? More solidification of the OL? A true run stuffer DT? No glaring holes it seems... plus Kiwanuka will be back next year.

Giants are in a great position to simply draft the best player available rather than having to fill any glaring needs.

harryhood said:
H.K. said:
:confused: Bradshaw averaged 4.3 YPC in the playoffs and led the G-men with his 4 game cumulative total in that category. He's the guy, and Giants fans and FFers need to know who the handcuff will be in 2008. Ward very well could be the #2 next year.
Again, you love to start that argument and we have it in another thread. Ward will likely back up Bradshaw who will split carries with Jacobs. Pretty much a done deal. If you really want to spin the Jacobs v. AB discussion, ill come over to your thread and we can ask why on 4th and 1 was the ball given to BJ and not AB?

If this year showed anything, it is having a stable of good RBs is a nice luxury - and possibly a necessity. Good signing and shouldnt cost them much.What are the big holes for the Giants right now? Their line played so freakin well (OL, but DL speaks for itself)... perhaps a game breaker at DB? More solidification of the OL? A true run stuffer DT? No glaring holes it seems... plus Kiwanuka will be back next year.Giants are in a great position to simply draft the best player available rather than having to fill any glaring needs.
Koy, I think you are looking at some OL, LB and CB help this off season. Not sure if they sign any FA's or just build them all through the draft but the only rookie I could see being a starter come the first 8 weeks of the season would be a CB. They are in great standing with the cap so they could go out and get a guy, but they have shown they can do this in the draft.Also I think they can extend Mitchell cheap. Word on the street is that they LOVE Wilkinson going forward so they will try to sign mitchell cheap, if they cant, they will let him walk.I think Ross is going to be a shut down corner in about 2 - 3 years, so adding another solid CB on the other side would help. As we have seen with STL, WASH, TB, ect, offensive line play is huge and could kill you at any time so I think we should also build some depth at G and T.

Big resign, does a healthy Ward allow Bradshaw to return kicks/punts? I hope so. Three solid backs like the Chargers used to have, Douglas settling into the 4th spot and Droughns fading to black.

Did Roto cite anyone in connection with this report? I hate being a cynic but I tend to take non-cited stories with a grain of salt. Everyone has a motive for every "report." The difference between "team insiders report" and "Ward's representatives report" cannot be overstated when we're talking about a UFA. For all we know it is Ward's agent leaking NY's interest in re-signing him simply to up his stock [or establish his value] for UFA negotiations.

Exactly my point. How hard is it to read between these lines?
according to someone familiar with the progress of the talks.

The person, who requested anonymity because both sides have agreed not to discuss the details of the negotiations publicly, said the sides are talking about a contract that would be three or four years long. The person did not provide any financial terms.
I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but this seems to be fairly transparent. Let's see, in who's interest is it to defy confidentiality and report that Ward, an UFA, is being offered a 3-4 year contract by a team? Hmmmm.

If this year showed anything, it is having a stable of good RBs is a nice luxury - and possibly a necessity. Good signing and shouldnt cost them much.What are the big holes for the Giants right now? Their line played so freakin well (OL, but DL speaks for itself)... perhaps a game breaker at DB? More solidification of the OL? A true run stuffer DT? No glaring holes it seems... plus Kiwanuka will be back next year.Giants are in a great position to simply draft the best player available rather than having to fill any glaring needs.
The Giants could definitely use some LB help. It was poor for much of the season IMO but was aided by such a dominant DL. If Connor falls to the Giants at pick 31, that D will be in great shape heading into next season (provided Spagnuolo stays.)

I think they look to LB and CB with CB being the top priority since Madison, McQuarters are both past their primes. At LB Pierce is great but getting a little old in the tooth. The rest of the LB core played well but not sure if there are any standouts in that bunch. Also, I am still not sold at Kiwanuka at LB and think he ends up on the DL. I am totaly unconcerned about DL because even if we loss Strahan since we have both Kiwanuka and Tuck to fill in if necessary. I would prefer him back but right now I think he is our third best D lineman behand Osi and Tuck. I also think that they might go for a WR in the draft. Toomer is really getting old at this point and while Steve Smith played great in the playoffs we really don't have a WR behind Smith if Toomer does not return. Sinorice Moss has been a total bust that can't stay healthy and Tyree really is just a standout special teams player and not a starting WR. Finally, I have this nagging worry in my head that Plaxico might have shortened his career a little playing through those injuries in order to help the team now.

harryhood said:
H.K. said:
:thumbup: Bradshaw averaged 4.3 YPC in the playoffs and led the G-men with his 4 game cumulative total in that category. He's the guy, and Giants fans and FFers need to know who the handcuff will be in 2008. Ward very well could be the #2 next year.
Again, you love to start that argument and we have it in another thread. Ward will likely back up Bradshaw who will split carries with Jacobs. Pretty much a done deal. If you really want to spin the Jacobs v. AB discussion, ill come over to your thread and we can ask why on 4th and 1 was the ball given to BJ and not AB?
Who wouldn't want Ward back? Jacobs is a beast but not a breakaway threat, Bradshaw hasn't proven himself long term, and Ward cannot be that expensive a signing. None of these 3 are elite backs, but as a trio, they're among the best in the league. While I like one back able to do everything, in many ways, I prefer this situation to having one great back and no depth. Again, it cannot cost that much, although I expected Ward to look around and see if he might get a better situation, more likely to be "the man". Then again, maybe he's realistic and knows he won't find a better situation with all the quality RBs in the draft and a few good RBs on the market, or maybe he's just loyal to a team that took a chance on him and gave him a ring?

Also, unless I am missing someone the only FA that were starters are Wilson, Mitchell and Torbor.

I think in that of the group Wilson is the priority. While not great in coverage I think he is improving given that he is not a pure free safety and started his career at Strong Safety. However, he is great against the run, which has always been a strength of our defense. He is also a good blitzer and therefore useful if Spags hangs around.

Of the Linebackers I think I like Mitchell the best but don't think any of them are priority. I don't think they will try and resign Torbor but will probably try to resign Mitchell.

Droughns will be about $. His ability to play FB and RB is useful.

Also, unless I am missing someone the only FA that were starters are Wilson, Mitchell and Torbor. I think in that of the group Wilson is the priority. While not great in coverage I think he is improving given that he is not a pure free safety and started his career at Strong Safety. However, he is great against the run, which has always been a strength of our defense. He is also a good blitzer and therefore useful if Spags hangs around. Of the Linebackers I think I like Mitchell the best but don't think any of them are priority. I don't think they will try and resign Torbor but will probably try to resign Mitchell.
Mitchell is somewhat expendable due to the Giants really liking Wilkenson. Wilson is the BIG priority here. Apparantly, he is coveted by a number of teams, so if the Giants wish to keep him, they will have to pay up.

Basically, both Jacobs and Ward are solid RBs, but they're also injury liabilities. Bradshaw looks awesome, but you need to pair him with either Jacobs or Ward, whoever happens to be healthy at the time. Smart move by the Giants in trying to re-sign Ward.

I think Droughns is gone, frankly. He's scheduled to be paid too much than he contributes, especially with the emergence of Ward and Bradshaw this year. Towards the last half of the season, and especially in the playoffs, Droughns hardly saw the field. I don't know why the Giants would keep him. They acquired him in case Jacobs was a bust, but with Ward emerging.... there is no reason to keep Droughns around. and especially with Bradshaw too.... Rueben will be gone, trust me.

The person, who requested anonymity because both sides have agreed not to discuss the details of the negotiations publicly, said the sides are talking about a contract that would be three or four years long. The person did not provide any financial terms.
I'll eat crow if I'm wrong, but this seems to be fairly transparent. Let's see, in who's interest is it to defy confidentiality and report that Ward, an UFA, is being offered a 3-4 year contract by a team? Hmmmm.
:eek: People are acting like this is a done deal, when in reality, we don't even know if it an offer was made. Before speculating on the depth chart shouldn't we wait for the alleged deal to be signed and announced?

As hs been allready said it would be a solid move by the Giants to bring Ward back as long as he is not too expensive. He has allready shown he can be productive in this offense (although with how they are blocking many RBs possibly could be). He is a injury liability though. He has been injured every year he has played and missed significant time. Last season was the only time he even got much duty because he has been so injured before. I don't see the Giants bringing him back for anything other than cheap depth that allready knows the system.

LOL. Are you Tiki Barber by any chance?Bradshaw looked pretty mediocre in the Super Bowl, as did Jacobs. They both showed flashes of brilliance at times this season, as did Ward. I think the Giants made a good move by keeping the backfield mostly together (minus Droughns). It did get them to, and help them win, a Super Bowl.

I think Droughns is gone, frankly. He's scheduled to be paid too much than he contributes, especially with the emergence of Ward and Bradshaw this year. Towards the last half of the season, and especially in the playoffs, Droughns hardly saw the field. I don't know why the Giants would keep him. They acquired him in case Jacobs was a bust, but with Ward emerging.... there is no reason to keep Droughns around. and especially with Bradshaw too.... Rueben will be gone, trust me.
Generally, we're not disagreeing here, it'll be about the $.Madison looks solid, nice pickup by them. Both Ward and Jacobs have played FB in spots here and there when they were younger. You're probably right and he's gone. Usefulness and veteran leadership are what might keep him hanging on by a thread. Word is he was excellent with all the young/inexperienced backs they have, even saw a nice quote by Ryan Grant about him. After Tiki's disruptiveness, he filled an enormous veteran leadership void very well. So much so, if he walks some team with young backs is likely to sign him. We might be talking about a future coach here.

:kicksrock: People are acting like this is a done deal, when in reality, we don't even know if it an offer was made. Before speculating on the depth chart shouldn't we wait for the alleged deal to be signed and announced?
3-4 years is fairly normal, nothing to see really. True or speculation it's probably gonna happen.

I got the feeling that some other team may steal Ward away. If signed by the Giants.. he'll be #3 most likely, a bench warmer waiting for an injury. Another team could look at Ward an offer an RB2 spot or even an RB1b spot. If the Giants do get him back... it will be a great move for the team.

I got the feeling that some other team may steal Ward away. If signed by the Giants.. he'll be #3 most likely, a bench warmer waiting for an injury. Another team could look at Ward an offer an RB2 spot or even an RB1b spot. If the Giants do get him back... it will be a great move for the team.
He's no lock for #3. Coughlin is a guy that loves camp competition and he did as well or better than Jacobs in 07, per start etc. Coughlin will let em' all battle it out if Ward stays. Ward's no small back he just looks it next to Jacobs. On any other team he'd be considerred a relatively big back. Coughlin's desire to have a big back that pounds the D, will still be filled with Ward if he beat out Jacobs.Also worth noting that neither back has clearly beat the other out for like 3 years now. Only injury has separated them. Jacobs best year as a backup Ward was on IR. When they were both backups, Ward got a little bit more carries than Brandon. This year each was a starter. They're closer than most people want to admit.

Also, unless I am missing someone the only FA that were starters are Wilson, Mitchell and Torbor.

I think in that of the group Wilson is the priority. While not great in coverage I think he is improving given that he is not a pure free safety and started his career at Strong Safety. However, he is great against the run, which has always been a strength of our defense. He is also a good blitzer and therefore useful if Spags hangs around.

Of the Linebackers I think I like Mitchell the best but don't think any of them are priority. I don't think they will try and resign Torbor but will probably try to resign Mitchell.
Mitchell is somewhat expendable due to the Giants really liking Wilkenson. Wilson is the BIG priority here. Apparantly, he is coveted by a number of teams, so if the Giants wish to keep him, they will have to pay up.
Wilson is a nice player but has some limitations and I don't expect the Giants to overpay for him. They should offer him a fair contract but if the early reports that he is asking for an $11 singing bonus are firm and accurate, I'd expect him to walk. Sanders just got an $8 singing bonus, I believe, and Wilson is not Sanders. Safety was already a big priority in the off-season and it may become a bigger one.

Wilson is a nice player but has some limitations and I don't expect the Giants to overpay for him. They should offer him a fair contract but if the early reports that he is asking for an $11 singing bonus are firm and accurate, I'd expect him to walk. Sanders just got an $8 singing bonus, I believe, and Wilson is not Sanders. Safety was already a big priority in the off-season and it may become a bigger one.
Are there any other FAs that we might target? I suppose the Giants could go for one in the Draft, but we don't have a high draft pick (WOOT!) this year. His run support has been very very important. Id prefer they find a way to keep Wilson (the Giants have a lot of cap room) and then solidify the corners through the draft.

Are there any other FAs that we might target? I suppose the Giants could go for one in the Draft, but we don't have a high draft pick (WOOT!) this year. His run support has been very very important. Id prefer they find a way to keep Wilson (the Giants have a lot of cap room) and then solidify the corners through the draft.
I'm right with you, but I trust in Reese not to overspend and pay a good player like a great one.Overspending for decent players cost the Giants in the recent past and I expect that they still remember that lesson.

Edit to add:

Clipped from thread on "top NFL FAs"

Safeties

1. Ken Hamlin Dallas

2. Madieu Williams Cincinnati

3. Eugene Wilson N.E. Patriots

4. Gibril Wilson N.Y. Giants

5. Von Hutchins Houston (CB)

6. Deke Cooper Carolina

7. Chris Crocker Atlanta

8. Erik Coleman New York Jets

9. Nick Ferguson Denver

10. Yeremiah Bell Miami

11. Sammy Knight Jacksonville

12. Tank Williams Minnesota

13. Idrees Bashir Detroit

14. Mike Doss Minnesota

15. Glen Earl Houston

16. Keith Davis Dallas

17 Pierson Prioleau Washington

18. Donnie Nickey Tennessee

19. Will Demps Houston

20. Gerome Sapp Baltimore

21. Marquand Manuel Green Bay

22. Oliver Celestin Arizona

Key Restricted Free Agents

- Oshiomoge Atogwe St. Louis

- James Butler New York Giants

- C.C. Brown Houston

- Jim Leonhard Buffalo

- Matt Giordano Indianapolis

- Brandon McGowan Chicago

- Vincent Fuller Tennessee

- Hamza Abdullah Denver 7th round

- Gerald Sensabaugh Jacksonville

- Jerome Carter St. Louis

- J.R. Reed Philadelphia

I would love to keep him and think he is a very good player and our best defense back. However, I have also heard the $11 million dollar signing bonus issue. That seems like an awful lot to pay for a good but not great safety. I also have a sense that the request may be a bit inflated as it is not like he is Ed Reed.

I would love to keep him and think he is a very good player and our best defense back. However, I have also heard the $11 million dollar signing bonus issue. That seems like an awful lot to pay for a good but not great safety. I also have a sense that the request may be a bit inflated as it is not like he is Ed Reed.
G Wilson is developing into the next Weapon X... 11 M is a lot; but the Giants do need to look at Wilson as a top sign.

G Wilson is developing into the next Weapon X... 11 M is a lot; but the Giants do need to look at Wilson as a top sign.
I also heard that the 11 Mil number being floated around would be part of a contract which would have lower salaries than Sanders and others. The total money that he would receive over the first 2-3 years might end up being less even if the signing bonus is more. Personally, the more you can keep this unit together and add to it, not replace guys, the better.

He's no lock for #3. Coughlin is a guy that loves camp competition and he did as well or better than Jacobs in 07, per start etc. Coughlin will let em' all battle it out if Ward stays. Ward's no small back he just looks it next to Jacobs. On any other team he'd be considerred a relatively big back. Coughlin's desire to have a big back that pounds the D, will still be filled with Ward if he beat out Jacobs.Also worth noting that neither back has clearly beat the other out for like 3 years now. Only injury has separated them. Jacobs best year as a backup Ward was on IR. When they were both backups, Ward got a little bit more carries than Brandon. This year each was a starter. They're closer than most people want to admit.
This is 100% wrong. There was no doubt who the starter on the Giants was when the season started, and Ward was completely healthy.

Let's not get carried away here.I like Wilson as well but in truth he is a bit undersized, average at best in pass coverage, plays very "hot" and "cold", not the "QB" of the secondary. He is very good in run support but it is important not to overspend just for the sake of continuity and sentimentality.

I want to keep Wilson as much as the next Giants fan but it is important not to overspend here and hamstring the salary cap in the future.

:confused: :goodposting: :goodposting: Jacobs is a huge liability as a receiving option (His 8 drops were third among all NFL RBs, but his drop per target ratio was over two to three times higher than the guys ahead of him). Ward and Bradshaw are far better receivers and keep defenses honest.

This is 100% wrong. There was no doubt who the starter on the Giants was when the season started, and Ward was completely healthy.
Yep Jacobs was the starter. Now, if you don't mind, please post the week 1 stats

:confused: :goodposting: :goodposting: Jacobs is a huge liability as a receiving option (His 8 drops were third among all NFL RBs, but his drop per target ratio was over two to three times higher than the guys ahead of him). Ward and Bradshaw are far better receivers and keep defenses honest.
Jacobs is atrocious catching the ball - but apparantly very good at blocking. Makes it tougher to pull him out on passing downs if he can be such a valuable blocker.

Let's not get carried away here.I like Wilson as well but in truth he is a bit undersized, average at best in pass coverage, plays very "hot" and "cold", not the "QB" of the secondary. He is very good in run support but it is important not to overspend just for the sake of continuity and sentimentality.

I want to keep Wilson as much as the next Giants fan but it is important not to overspend here and hamstring the salary cap in the future.
I agree he is not Dawkins. I do want him back but at the right price. I am not even sure he is the best FA safety with Hamlin available.

Generally, we're not disagreeing here, it'll be about the $.Madison looks solid, nice pickup by them. Both Ward and Jacobs have played FB in spots here and there when they were younger. You're probably right and he's gone. Usefulness and veteran leadership are what might keep him hanging on by a thread. Word is he was excellent with all the young/inexperienced backs they have, even saw a nice quote by Ryan Grant about him. After Tiki's disruptiveness, he filled an enormous veteran leadership void very well. So much so, if he walks some team with young backs is likely to sign him. We might be talking about a future coach here.
Good point... veteran leadership is important, and Ward is the oldest back right now, I think a 4 year vet. Hedgecock - they love him - they inked him to an extension before the season ended.

Jacobs is atrocious catching the ball - but apparantly very good at blocking. Makes it tougher to pull him out on passing downs if he can be such a valuable blocker.
True. Especially in the Superbowl, he literally stood up blitzing LBs and DBs of the Pats... it was like they ran into a brick wall. Gave Eli some nice protection.

:loco: :confused: :goodposting: Jacobs is a huge liability as a receiving option (His 8 drops were third among all NFL RBs, but his drop per target ratio was over two to three times higher than the guys ahead of him). Ward and Bradshaw are far better receivers and keep defenses honest.
True. Especially in the Superbowl, he literally stood up blitzing LBs and DBs of the Pats... it was like they ran into a brick wall. Gave Eli some nice protection.
Bradshaw didn't even play a full season, the toughest thing for rookie RB's to do is learn pass protection. Give him another camp and he'll be set. The Giants will be far more versatile with an RB who can block and catch.

LOOKS LIKE THERE IS AN UPDATE ON THE SPAGS TALKS

Watching ESPN2 just now, and although it is Bob Glauber, I think he does have some decent connections. Said that Spags left Wash with no deal offered to him. Says they could still make him an offer, however he seems pretty convinced that Mooch or Fassell are going to get the gig.

Also he went on to say that Mithcell, Wilson, and Ward are the only players from this run NOT under contract. Said Reese told him he wants to manage his players like the Pats did for their run. Says at least 2 out of the 3 will probably be signed because they are in such great cap shape.

Things looking good already for Big Blue. I would take Mitchell and Ward back for sure. Make an offer to Wilson but if he wants more, let him walk.

I agree he is not Dawkins. I do want him back but at the right price. I am not even sure he is the best FA safety with Hamlin available.
That's a name that jumped out at me as well.

My thought on the RB situation for next year would be a RBBC of Bradshaw and Jacobs, with Bradshaw getting about 60-70% and Ward being more for insurance and a spot fill in. It was obvious that Bradshaw ran the ball better during the playoffs, and is much better as a receiving RB out of the backfield. Jacobs looked real good and better as a blocking RB, but Bradshaw also looked good and is a threat to catch the ball.

Yep Jacobs was the starter. Now, if you don't mind, please post the week 1 stats
Would that be the game where Jacobs hurt his knee midway through th 2nd quarter?

Users who are viewing this thread