What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Bill De Blasio Controversy Thread**** (1 Viewer)

The Mayor shold not be allowed to attend the Funeral of these 2 Police Officers after his comments on December 8th. This guy is an absolute tool.

"For so many of our young people there is a fear. I've had to worry over the years, is Dante safe each night? There are so many families in the city that feel that... safe from the very people they want to have faith in as their protectors," de Blasio said.
If you were black, what would you tell you kids about dealing with cops?

I dont know much about diblasio, and it probably wasnt tactful, but i assume he was being candid.
I'd start with the exact same advice I would give them regardless of race. I would tell them that Cops have a difficult job. I would tell them that most do the job well and impartially, but that some will be rude, officious, insecure, angry, dangerous, ageist, sexist, racist, or suffering from any number of offensive prejudices and preconceptions. I would tell them that they don't know who they are getting in a police interaction, Officer Friendly or Officer #######, but that there is nothing they can do about that. I would tell them that the best way to deal with Cops is to treat them politely, and with respect whether it is deserved or not. I would tell them that being disrespectful, or arguing with a Cop on the street is always counterproductive and is sometimes dangerous. If they feel a need to dispute the Officer there is a time and place for that, and it most definitely is not angrily and vociferously on the street. I would tell them that only a great fool antagonizes power where power definitely has the upper hand. I would tell them that the Wise pick the time and place of any battlefield if they can, and that this means keeping one's mouth shut on the streets, being respectful, even if not earned, listening to everything and remembering everything, and disputing the Cops in Court or Administrative Hearings involving complaints, not on the streets. the streets are not a courtroom and I would make certain my child or children did not feel they can insist on rights from someone not necessarily concerned with balancing equities. I would instruct my child not to plead his case to an unwilling listener. I would tell them that young people, get hurt, killed, or jailed on the streets, but that leaders, winners, the intelligent, prevail in Courts, in the press, and in campaigns and they should await those opportunities. I would tell them that how they conduct themselves may keep their interaction from spiraling tragically out of control, but will also help teach the Cops to have an ever slightly more positive view of my children's demographic makeup such that it may help someone just like them in the next interaction with that Cop.

More important than what I would teach them is what I would not. I would not foster attitudes which might encourage exacerbating conflict with armed persons. I would be doing my child a tremendous disservice if I did.

You dont think there is an extra layer of caution/awareness that needs to be taken if you're a black male? Cops can have any number of dispositions, but there are a couple in particular that are a lot more prevalent.

You dont think there is an extra layer of caution/awareness that needs to be taken if you're a black male? Cops can have any number of dispositions, but there are a couple in particular that are a lot more prevalent.
You dont think there is an extra layer of caution/awareness that needs to be taken if you're a cop? Humans can have any number of dispositions, but there are a couple in particular that are a lot more prevalent among young, black males.
Cops go through all sorts of training to deal with these exact sorts of issues. Or if they don't, they should.

You dont think there is an extra layer of caution/awareness that needs to be taken if you're a cop? Humans can have any number of dispositions, but there are a couple in particular that are a lot more prevalent among young, black males.
Cops go through all sorts of training to deal with these exact sorts of issues. Or if they don't, they should.
They also go into the real world and deal with these situations and know some neighborhoods are far more dangerous than others...

The Mayor shold not be allowed to attend the Funeral of these 2 Police Officers after his comments on December 8th. This guy is an absolute tool.

"For so many of our young people there is a fear. I've had to worry over the years, is Dante safe each night? There are so many families in the city that feel that... safe from the very people they want to have faith in as their protectors," de Blasio said.

I dont know much about diblasio, and it probably wasnt tactful, but i assume he was being candid.
I'd start with the exact same advice I would give them regardless of race. I would tell them that Cops have a difficult job. I would tell them that most do the job well and impartially, but that some will be rude, officious, insecure, angry, dangerous, ageist, sexist, racist, or suffering from any number of offensive prejudices and preconceptions. I would tell them that they don't know who they are getting in a police interaction, Officer Friendly or Officer #######, but that there is nothing they can do about that. I would tell them that the best way to deal with Cops is to treat them politely, and with respect whether it is deserved or not. I would tell them that being disrespectful, or arguing with a Cop on the street is always counterproductive and is sometimes dangerous. If they feel a need to dispute the Officer there is a time and place for that, and it most definitely is not angrily and vociferously on the street. I would tell them that only a great fool antagonizes power where power definitely has the upper hand. I would tell them that the Wise pick the time and place of any battlefield if they can, and that this means keeping one's mouth shut on the streets, being respectful, even if not earned, listening to everything and remembering everything, and disputing the Cops in Court or Administrative Hearings involving complaints, not on the streets. the streets are not a courtroom and I would make certain my child or children did not feel they can insist on rights from someone not necessarily concerned with balancing equities. I would instruct my child not to plead his case to an unwilling listener. I would tell them that young people, get hurt, killed, or jailed on the streets, but that leaders, winners, the intelligent, prevail in Courts, in the press, and in campaigns and they should await those opportunities. I would tell them that how they conduct themselves may keep their interaction from spiraling tragically out of control, but will also help teach the Cops to have an ever slightly more positive view of my children's demographic makeup such that it may help someone just like them in the next interaction with that Cop.

More important than what I would teach them is what I would not. I would not foster attitudes which might encourage exacerbating conflict with armed persons. I would be doing my child a tremendous disservice if I did.
EXACTLY.....

I have family members that are cops..... I'm not afraid to say that you need to be a "Special Person" to be a cop...

You have to have "attitude" and most of them have egos through the roof...

Already knowing that, I would never dis-respect a cop (to his face)... I already know they are wound up and 1 percieved wrong move away from losing it... That's the part IMO, people miss..... Cops, have a tough job and are super wound up to ANYONE....

I'd tell my kid to never resist arrest.....

When I get pulled over, My hands are always visible and everything is "Yes Sir.. No sir".....

No, ppl don't deserve to die but, resist arrest and you open the door to a lot of possibilities that you shouldn't want on the table.

Both Brown and Garner Live if they really do raise their hands and don't resist arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
They also go into the real world and deal with these situations and know some neighborhoods are far more dangerous than others...
I agree. Maybe I'm confused about the point being made in here.

I agree. Maybe I'm confused about the point being made in here.
Continuing with the caution/awareness angle...

Neighborhoods that are perfectly segregated?

Police work is incredibly difficult, but letting race be a determining factor as to what actions you take seems dangerous on one side, and unethical/unconstitutional on the other.

Police work is incredibly difficult, but letting race be a determining factor as to what actions you take seems dangerous on one side, and unethical/unconstitutional on the other.
Police work is incredibly difficult, but not considering which demographics are most likley to attack you based on experience and statistics seems dangerous on one side, and potentially deadly on the other.
So a cop should take everyone seriously?

They also go into the real world and deal with these situations and know some neighborhoods are far more dangerous than others...Neighborhoods that are perfectly segregated?

In a perfect world you are correct...but in a world where you know the streets because of experience and you have a family at home you maybe just a tad more cautious in certain areas...

In NYC, the 35k strong in the NYPD are less than 50% white... The cops here are very diverse and arrest criminals, regardless of skin color.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Good Posting Judge said:

Agree with most of this.

Do you think your attitude and views toward the police are heavily influenced by all of the years you've interacted with them due to your profession, and to a much lesser extent, due to your race?

Again, I think your post is full of great advice, but I'm guessing the interactions and experiences of many minority fathers in our inner cities are on the other end of the spectrum from yours, thus perhaps resulting in different advice.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Good Posting Judge said:

Agree with most of this.

Do you think your attitude and views toward the police are heavily influenced by all of the years you've interacted with them due to your profession, and to a much lesser extent, due to your race?

Again, I think your post is full of great advice, but I'm guessing the interactions and experiences of many minority fathers in our inner cities are on the other end of the spectrum from yours, thus perhaps resulting in different advice.
I have no doubt that my advice reflects the sum total of my life experience. I would suggest, however, that opposite advice would be poor advice regardless of one's life experience and heritage. Any other advice might be satisfying, it might allow venting, but it is likely to be counterproductive. The system allows a time and place for argumentation, for questions, for challenges, that place is not on the street. Until Cops start trailering mobile courthouses behind their vehicles with a judge and jury ready to go, along with appointed counsel, arguing with a cop out on the streets is foolish. It may not precipitate a crisis, but it may. Sometimes one has to endure accusations for a time while the system arranges for that person to be heard. It is imperfect if one is wrongly accused, but it is far better than volatile arguing on the street. Everyday I see crisis precipitated and exacerbated when calm and clear heads could instead start to ameliorate whatever wrongs, damages or misunderstandings have occurred.

I stand ready to hear counter arguments or proposals.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Good Posting Judge said:

Agree with most of this.

I have no doubt that my advice reflects the sum total of my life experience. I would suggest, however, that opposite advice would be poor advice regardless of one's life experience and heritage. Any other advice might be satisfying, it might allow venting, but it is likely to be counterproductive. The system allows a time and place for argumentation, for questions, for challenges, that place is not on the street. Until Cops start trailering mobile courthouses behind their vehicles with a judge and jury ready to go, along with appointed counsel, arguing with a cop out on the streets is foolish. It may not precipitate a crisis, but it may. Sometimes one has to endure accusations for a time while the system arranges for that person to be heard. It is imperfect if one is wrongly accused, but it is far better than volatile arguing on the street. Everyday I see crisis precipitated and exacerbated when clam and clear heads could instead start to ameliorate whatever wrongs, damages or misunderstandings have occurred.

I think your advice is great. I totally agree with your sentiments. Excellent stuff.

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Good Posting Judge said:

Agree with most of this.

I have no doubt that my advice reflects the sum total of my life experience. I would suggest, however, that opposite advice would be poor advice regardless of one's life experience and heritage. Any other advice might be satisfying, it might allow venting, but it is likely to be counterproductive. The system allows a time and place for argumentation, for questions, for challenges, that place is not on the street. Until Cops start trailering mobile courthouses behind their vehicles with a judge and jury ready to go, along with appointed counsel, arguing with a cop out on the streets is foolish. It may not precipitate a crisis, but it may. Sometimes one has to endure accusations for a time while the system arranges for that person to be heard. It is imperfect if one is wrongly accused, but it is far better than volatile arguing on the street. Everyday I see crisis precipitated and exacerbated when clam and clear heads could instead start to ameliorate whatever wrongs, damages or misunderstandings have occurred.

I think your advice is great. I totally agree with your sentiments. Excellent stuff.
With the possible exception of the clam thing.

Not a good article for the mayor. SID was right in the other thread. This has always had political origins, and political ramifications.

I don't agree with a lot of the assumptions in the article, but it's worth the read just for the anecdotal information.

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/bill-de-blasio-113755.html
I had kinda forgotten about the Nordlinger fiasco, but I can see how that really rubbed the police the wrong way.
Can't believe that slipped my mind either.

The full support of a woman who has a racist 17 year old son (wonder we he gets it from), an ex con who hates cops as a BF (murderer), and she lied on her application (which apparently didn't matter).

This guy is a real breath of fresh air.

Intersting perspective - We work with a lot of guys from Jamaica.... They really don't know WTF is up here.

Back home they have even more issues with Cops but, the whole "Racial" things is erased.... There is no Al Sharpton... Each incident can be looked at for what it is.

They ALL know for a fact that you don't want to F with a cop.... Bottom line Cops have a job to do, a tough, stressed out, dangerous job... Resist arrest and all bets are off.... Pretty simple for them, Cops are tough SOB's.

This citywide shutdown for 6 inches of snow is a travesty and coat the city and city business hundreds of millions of dollars

First time rye ever shut the city down for snow.,, good job Billy D

The Blaz is goin' down.

Report: De Blasio Violated Campaign Finance Laws

Days after he called for "major reforms" of New York City's Board of Elections, Mayor Bill de Blasio has been accused of "willful and flagrant" violations of campaign finance law in a report that chronicles a system of slush fund-style evasion of campaign donation limits.

The purported violations took place during the 2014 State Senate race, during which de Blasio helped fundraise for at least three upstate Democrats—all of whom lost their races. New York state campaign finance laws cap legal donations to candidates in such races at $10,300. However, donations ranging up to $103,000 can be made to county political committees, which may legally transfer unlimited funds to individual campaigns. The BOE report, which was submitted to Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr. in January and was published in full Friday by the Daily News, alleges that de Blasio's political team knowingly and repeatedly manipulated these loopholes.

In the report, the Board of Election's enforcement counsel Risa S. Sugarman alleged that de Blasio's fundraising team deliberately sought donations larger than the permitted $10,300 limit, instructing donors to instead send checks to the Ulster County and Putnam County Democratic committees, as well as the Senate Democratic Campaign Committee. Those committees then quickly transferred funds to the campaigns of Sen. Terry Gipson, Senate hopeful Justin Wagner, and Sen. Cecilia Tkaczyk, said Sugarman. As the News points out, large and influential unions including SEIU 1199 and the Communications Workers of America, in addition to wealthy businessmen like John Catsimatidis, made large 2014 donations to the county committees named above, despite having never done so in the past.

Once donations were made, the report describes a process of shuttling donation checks from local committees to Senatorial candidates, orchestrated by de Blasio aide Emma Wolfe, fund-raiser Ross Offinger, and the mayor's own Campaign for One New York nonprofit. "The evidence demonstrates that the de Blasio team coordinated its fund-raising activities" alongside Gipson, Wagner, and Tkaczyk's campaigns, and used the committees "in order to evade contribution limits and to disguise the true names of the contributors." The report alleges that some checks made out to the statewide Senate Democratic Campaign Committee even included memos reading, "Donation per Mayor."

"I have determined that reasonable cause exists to believe a violation warranting criminal prosecution has taken place," Sugarman wrote. "The violations discovered by this investigation can only be described as willful and flagrant."

De Blasio denied breaking any laws in a WNYC interview with Brian Lehrer Friday: "We've said from the beginning, if there's any kind of investigation going on, we'll happily participate. We'll support it. We want to get everything out. We want every fact uncovered."

"From my vantage point, everything was done legally and appropriately," the mayor said. Last week, the FBI announced an investigation of de Blasio's own 2013 mayoral campaign after backers of anti-carriage horse legislation were suspected of making oversize donations to Campaign for One New York.

The specificity with which the mayor's 2014 committee-to-campaign donation system operated is exemplified in an October 2014 email exchange from between Tkaczyk's campaign manager, Matthew Lerch, and Ulster County Democratic Committee treasurer Hyes Clement. "Below is our banking info, we need the 60 transferred over ASAP please," Lerch wrote, referring to a $60,000 check from the state Nurse's Association, written out to Clement's committee.

"This pattern of activity indicates that the committees already had committed to these expenditures prior to receiving the funds," Sugarman wrote, alleging that the exchange is proof that Tkaczyk's campaign was well aware of the limit-breaking donations that were earmarked for its own use. In sum, $330,000 was transferred to Tkaczyk's campaign from the Ulster County Democratic Committee over a period of just a few days. Senator Gipson's campaign received $273,750 through a similar transfer system, while Wagner's team was given $367,000.

“We are confident that all of our efforts were appropriate and in accordance with the law at all times,” de Blasio spokeswoman Karen Hinton told the Times. “We will cooperate fully with the investigations.” In the wake of the BOE's report and Sugarman's allegations, some are calling for the mayor to step down. "If he cares about this city the way he says he does, he needs to step down immediately and save us the continued national embarrassment," former National Action Network member Tony Herbert told the Post. "There are a lot of levels to this corruption."

Read the full report, obtained by the Daily News, below.

http://gothamist.com/2016/04/24/de_blasio_investigation_continues.php

Chief of New York Jail Officers’ Union Is Arrested on Fraud Charges

The powerful leader of the union that represents New York City correction officers, whose alliances with mayors and governors have afforded him broad influence, was arrested on federal fraud charges on Wednesday, according to court papers.

The charges against the union leader, Norman Seabrook, and a second defendant, Murray Huberfeld, a hedge-fund financier, stem from the first major criminal case linked to one of several corruption investigations focused on the campaign fund-raising of Mayor Bill de Blasio, a Democrat.

The criminal complaint charging the two men strongly suggests that a witness who is cooperating with the government in the case, Jona S. Rechnitz, could also serve as an important witness in at least one of the fund-raising inquiries centered on the mayor.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/09/nyregion/norman-seabrook-jail-officers-union-arrest.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share&_r=1

Drunk driving , a "very minor offense". This guy is certifiable

NYC Mayor de Blasio blasted over drunk-driving comment

A local paper reported that Mothers Against Drunk Driving railed against Mayor Bill de Blasio's comments.  (Reuters)

New York City’s Mayor Bill de Blasio said in an interview Monday that he would categorize drunk driving “that doesn’t lead to any other negative outcome” a minor offense.

DeBlasio was asked on CNN about New York’s stance as a sanctuary city and its refusal to turn over illegal immigrants who commit minor offenses.

He said that he did not want to “see families torn apart” over something very minor. He was asked if he considered grand larceny and drunk driving a “very minor offense.”

“Drunk driving that doesn’t lead to any other negative outcome, I could define as that,” he said.

The New York Daily News reported that Mothers Against Drunk Driving railed against his comments.

“There is nothing minor when drunk driving kills or injures 300,000 people every year,” said the group’s director. “Drunk driving is always a major offense and we should never minimize the impact it  has on families and victims.”

In New York, Trump's hometown, city officials said the administration's action could take away over $150 million in law enforcement funding mainly for counterterrorism efforts, protecting international missions and dignitaries and, arguably, safeguarding Trump Tower, city officials said.

"Here in New York City and in cities across this nation, this order could in fact undermine public safety," de Blasio said at a news conference Wednesday evening — a concern echoed by District of Columbia Mayor Muriel Bowser.

While there is no formal definition of the term "sanctuary city," it generally refers to jurisdictions that do not cooperate with federal immigration officials.

In some cases, these cities tell police not to inquire about the immigration status of those they encounter, or they decline requests from immigration officials to keep defendants in custody while they await deportation.

Others say they do cooperate with such "detainer" requests as long as they're backed by court-issued warrants, but won't allow local officers to enforce federal immigration law.

Advocates say such noncooperation policies protect people who may not have exhausted their rights to apply for U.S. residency. They also say that crime victims and witnesses are more likely to cooperate with police if they are not afraid of being deported.

keep the heat on this miserable sack o'#### - can't get the #### out soon enough for my liking - idiota disonore, ottenere l'inferno fuori  :rant:

??

Ugh 4 more years of this clown. I voted for nicole.
Same here. Not surprising but still disappointed.

Locally though, I'm real happy Bob Holden beat Elizabeth Crowley. Unofficial at this point but Holden has a 133 vote lead.

De Blasio de Blasioing hard today with Al Sharpton. Good to see all the good New Yorkers haven’t fled the city, yet.

Mayor Bill de Blasio was greeted with a few jeers as he showed up to help paint a giant Black Lives Matter mural on Fifth Avenue outside Trump Toweron Thursday — with a couple of angry onlookers shouting “######## de Blasio” upon his arrival.

The mayor joined first lady Chirlane McCray, the Rev. Al Sharpton, Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY) to fill in the letter “L” with yellow paint for what some critics, including President Trump himself, have called a political stunt.

When he arrived around 11:30 a.m., two or three men shouted “######## de Blasio” at Hizzoner as he crossed the street.

“This is such an important moment for our city,” de Blasio told volunteers, who chanted, “Black lives matter!” while holding paint rollers. “We are making a statement today of what we value in New York City.”

De Blasio left about 20 minutes later.
https://nypost.com/2020/07/09/de-blasio-heckled-painting-blm-mural-outside-of-trump-tower/

Users who are viewing this thread