What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL Danny Amendola Injury and News Thread (1 Viewer)

Danny Amendola (knee, ankle) is absent from the Week 1 injury report.
Amendola just returned to practice on Sunday, but is evidently 100 percent. We still wouldn't be stunned if the Pats made him a "healthy scratch" for the opener — it's hard to believe he's in top-notch shape after missing so much practice time — but he's more likely to play than not. With a jumble on the receiver depth chart and Tom Brady on the couch, Amendola is off the fantasy radar for the time being.

Sep 9 - 6:42 PM

In a radio interview on WEEI, Tom Brady says he has "trust" with Danny Amendola.

Brady talked a lot about trust when asked about losing Julian Edelman (ACL) for the season, and Amendola's name was the first out of his mouth. "Obviously with Danny, I’ve had that with Danny," Brady said. "Danny has been such a great player for us." The quarterback also said Chris Hogan has "had a great camp," Brandin Cooks "has done a great job," and he has "a lot of trust" in Malcolm Mitchell, but it seems noteworthy Brady's mind first went to Amendola. Cooks and Hogan remain the most likely fantasy beneficiaries of Edelman's injury, but Amendola should see his role expand as well.

Source: WEEI

Aug 28 - 10:21 AM

Faust said:
In a radio interview on WEEI, Tom Brady says he has "trust" with Danny Amendola.

Brady talked a lot about trust when asked about losing Julian Edelman (ACL) for the season, and Amendola's name was the first out of his mouth. "Obviously with Danny, I’ve had that with Danny," Brady said. "Danny has been such a great player for us." The quarterback also said Chris Hogan has "had a great camp," Brandin Cooks "has done a great job," and he has "a lot of trust" in Malcolm Mitchell, but it seems noteworthy Brady's mind first went to Amendola. Cooks and Hogan remain the most likely fantasy beneficiaries of Edelman's injury, but Amendola should see his role expand as well.

Source: WEEI

Aug 28 - 10:21 AM
And crickets....

When Edelman went down in 2015, Amendola got 50 targets over 6 games. 

He's been in the system, he knows what to do, and Brady trusts him. 

According to ESPN Patriots reporter Mike Reiss, the Patriots are expected to "manage" Danny Amendola's snaps this season, even in the absence of Julian Edelman.

Amendola has never been able to handle a starter's workload across a 16-game season, dating back to his time with the Rams. The fantasy community has been looking at Amendola as a riser in the wake of Edelman's torn ACL, but it makes more sense for the Patriots to move Chris Hogan into the slot and continue to rotate wideouts behind he and Brandin Cooks. Amendola has Tom Brady's trust, but opportunity may not be there to warrant using a single-digit-round fantasy pick on him. However, there are worse fliers in the back ends of drafts.

Source: ESPN.com 

Sep 2 - 6:53 PM

This guy should just start every season on IR and save everyone time. Why I would ever put him on my roster is mind boggling. Makes for an easy drop though.

This guy should just start every season on IR and save everyone time. Why I would ever put him on my roster is mind boggling. Makes for an easy drop though.
I agree but don't you wonder why in the world the patriots had him on special teams at all?  With his history, he is the last guy I want doing anything on st. Seems like they were itching to get this out of the way. 

I agree but don't you wonder why in the world the patriots had him on special teams at all?  With his history, he is the last guy I want doing anything on st. Seems like they were itching to get this out of the way. 
Their other two punt returners are on IR (Edelman and Cyrus Jones). Not a ton of options for them at this point. They had taken Amendola off of special teams to improve his chances of staying on the field.

Their other two punt returners are on IR (Edelman and Cyrus Jones). Not a ton of options for them at this point. They had taken Amendola off of special teams to improve his chances of staying on the field.
Yeah, I know they were limited. Just assumed Dion Lewis would be the guy since he didn't have much of a role in the offense. I probably would take my chances with him  given amendola and his history but I'm just playing armchair coach of course. 

Looked  like the only wr with hands yesterday...
He was making plays, but it seems that was as far Brady could throw accurately was underneath. Amedola like clockwork, hurt in the first game. If this guy could saty healthy he would be a weapon. No, not cutting Dola yet.

Some were saying this might be the year Brady falls off a cliff, I hope not...but man, sure looked like it yesterday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
He was making plays, but it seems that was as far Brady could throw accurately was underneath. Amedola like clockwork, hurt in the first game. If this guy could saty healthy he would be a weapon. No, not cutting Dola yet.

Some were saying this might be the year Brady falls off a cliff, I hope not...but man, sure looked like it yesterday. 
Brady looked the same to me, but Amendola is the only receiver who can get open. Once he left the game you notice the passing game started sucking. Hopefully he can return quickly. 

Brady looked the same to me, but Amendola is the only receiver who can get open. Once he left the game you notice the passing game started sucking. Hopefully he can return quickly. 
He completed 44% of passes man, that is not the same Tom Brady. He had very few drops, so most were just errand throws.

Dola did his part and looks to be the slot guy, which is good, he is very capable...but he is already hurt with a concussion. His 3rd, I have no doubt he will be more likely to get another. 

If Cooks didnt draw penalties, they were in trouble. That put them both at the GL for Gillislee a few times. Brady did have two good deep throws to Cooks,s o he is still capable I believe. One was caught, the other was broken up nice by the DB.

If he looks that bad again, Amendola might be the only value next to Gronk. If that was Week 8, Gronk would not have been shut down. This is the time when I am always torn on preseason, the first few weeks when players shake off the rust.  

If he has time to throw like he did early on in the game, he'll be fine. During some of those dropbacks, it seems like you could have cooked a steak dinner during the time before he threw the ball.

He completed 44% of passes man, that is not the same Tom Brady. He had very few drops, so most were just errand throws.
A stat, not an explanation. If a quarterback's receivers don't get open he won't have a high completion percentage.

For example: Brady completed 6 of 7 passes to Amendola.  

Since 2014, Amendola has now played in 10 games when Edelman was out (2 in 2014, 5 in 2015, 3 in 2017). Over those 10 games, he has been on a 16-game pace of 83/835/3.2 on 122 targets. Those are low-end WR3 numbers in PPR, and it would become solid WR3 production if you add a couple TDs (since 3 TDs would be unusually low for a WR with 835 yards, and 10 games is too few to get a good read on someone's TD rate).

Rolling with him in a couple spots, but not because of any high confidence. More like several better players injured or on bye. That said, as my last player (flex)....it isn't so bad. :) Expecting a good night from him

What are your thoughts on Amendola ROS? Fantasy Pros has him ranked with the below WRs.  It seems like he'd have a higher floor than all of them but C.Davis, Ginn, Lee, Matthews might be better to own.  Thoughts?

Corey Davis

Rishard Matthews

Jamison Crowder

Cooper Kupp

Danny Amendola

Marqise Lee

Ted Ginn

Josh Doctson

Randall Cobb

Danny Amendola caught 8-of-11 targets for 152 yards in the Patriots' Super Bowl 52 loss to the Eagles.

Amendola made his presence felt on a 50-yard reception in the first half, exploiting a coverage bust in the Eagles’ defense. On a second-quarter trick play, Amendola wound up to pass and would have had a huge gain to Tom Brady, but Brady dropped it. A flurry of early fourth-quarter catches put Amendola well over 100 yards. Amendola has finished under 700 receiving yards in all nine years of his career, but he’s earned a niche role in the playoffs for New England, and this was arguably Amendola’s best run with a team-high 26/348/2 receiving line in three postseason games. "Playoff Danny" is now a free agent. The Pats would likely take him back for a below-market salary.

Feb 4 - 10:51 PM

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero said Ryan Tannehill to Danny Amendola "is gonna be a thing in 2018."

In an appearance on The Joe Rose Show, Salguero said he thinks Amendola can catch 80-85 passes as a replacement for Jarvis Landry. That certainly seems within the realm of possibilities, but it is important to note two things. One, Amendola has struggled to stay healthy under heavy workloads in the past. Two, the Dolphins also added Albert Wilson to their receiving corps this offseason. Even with those caveats, however, Amendola carries enough upside to warrant a pick in the double-digit rounds.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter 

May 24 - 9:28 AM

Danny Amendola has been working as the Dolphins' top slot receiver throughout OTAs and the first practice of training camp.

It's somewhat to be expected, but the Dolphins also handed out a three-year, $24 million deal to Albert Wilson in March, and he's been working as the clear No. 4 receiver behind DeVante Parker, Kenny Stills, and Amendola. One can never have too many weapons, but it begs the question what the Dolphins' plans are for all of them. Amendola has already developed a rapport with Ryan Tannehill and could slide right in as the quarterback's favorite target in the short area.

Source: Miami Herald 

Jul 27 - 8:54 AM

Danny Amendola was listed as a starter on the Dolphins' initial training camp depth chart.

DeVante Parker, Kenny Stills and Amendola were named as starters with Albert Wilson, Jakeem Grant and Leonte Carroo listed among the team's backups. This depth chart would suggest Amendola is the current favorite to start at slot receiver. While it's unlikely Amendola will carve out the same role once occupied by Jarvis Landry, the former Patriot is still a name to keep in mind for PPR leagues.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter 

Aug 5 - 11:53 AM

I really like Danny Amendola this year as a great floor play with an underrated ceiling.  He will take over in the slot for Jarvis Landry.  Landry of course saw 161 targets and 112 receptions last year.  Amendola seems capable of 2/3 of those numbers, giving him 75-80 receptions in his range of outcomes. 

He is only 22% owned in CBS leagues.  I waited at WR and still got him as my WR6, but am strongly considering starting him as a WR3 this opening week.  I can see him being on the WW list this time next week for sure.  Devante Parker also announced as out for wk 1 fwiw.

If You Must (Swing on a bench option/deep league play): Danny Amendola (the preseason showed that he’s a part of this offense and Parker is still absent, freeing up more opportunity against a team that he posted a 11-112-0 line against in the playoffs a year ago, catching 6-of-6 targets for 74 yards in the coverage of Logan Ryan in that game)
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/81953/478/the-nfl-week-1-worksheet?pg=2

Any thoughts on him this week with the other Dolphins WRs banged up? I need a guy @ WR for the week and debating him or Jakeem Grant who's got the big play potential, but then there is Parker as well.

Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:
Any thoughts on him this week with the other Dolphins WRs banged up? I need a guy @ WR for the week and debating him or Jakeem Grant who's got the big play potential, but then there is Parker as well.
This may shock you, but Amendola is also a bit nicked up. :shockedface:

This may shock you, but Amendola is also a bit nicked up. :shockedface:
Shocker! I'm sure he plays. Would Amendola or Grant be the preferred play? With byes and injuries I'm hurting for my one WR spot. I feel like Amendola is getting the guaranteed catches but Grant could bust the big one.

Yeah, if he's healthy I may need to start him at flex. MGordon on a bye and my other RB options would be Barber, Gore or Smallwood :X

Users who are viewing this thread