What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Delete Thread*** (1 Viewer)

THis is the most persecuted thread of the last 10 minutes and it doesn't even have a Christian theme

Pot Roast

Beef pot roast recipe, slow cooked on stove top or in oven with onion, garlic, carrots, and red wine. Slow cooking on low heat practically ensures a tender pot roast from the tougher beef chuck or shoulder roast cut.

In order for this recipe to work properly, let the roast sit (wrapped) for one to two hours outside of the refrigerator so that it comes to room temperature (between 65 and 70°F) before cooking. Otherwise, it will take a lot longer to cook at the low heat called for in this recipe.

Cook time: 4 hours

Ingredients

3 1/2 lb of beef shoulder or boneless chuck roast (look for a piece that is well marbled with fat for best results)

2 Tbsp olive or grapeseed oil

Salt, pepper, italian seasoning to taste

2 large yellow onions, thickly sliced, lengthwise (root to tip), about 4 cups sliced onion

4 cloves of garlic, peeled

1/2 cup of red wine

1 bay leaf

Several carrots, peeled and cut lengthwise

Method

1 Use a thick-bottomed covered pot (oven-proof if you intend to cook in oven), such as a dutch oven, just large enough to hold roast and vegetables. Heat 2 Tbsp of oil on medium high heat (hot enough to sear the meat). Pat the roast dry with paper towels. Sprinkle and rub salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning all over the meat. Brown roast in pot, all over, several minutes on each side. Don't move the roast while a side is browning, or it won't brown well.

2 When roast is browned, remove from pan and set on a plate. Add the onions to the pan and cook for about 5 to 10 minutes, until they begin to brown. Add the garlic and carrots to sit on top of the onions. Set the roast on top of the onions, garlic and carrots. Add 1/2 cup of red wine. Add the bay leaf. Cover. Bring to simmer and then adjust the heat down to the lowest heat possible to maintain a low simmer when covered (we cook our roast on the warm setting of our electric range)*. If cooking in the oven, bring to a simmer first on the stovetop, then put in the oven, start the temp at 300°F for 15 minutes, then drop it to 225°F.

3 Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 hours, or longer, until meat is tender. (If you are using a pressure cooker, cut the time by half).

After cooking 3 1/2 hours. Note how much liquid has been released by the meat. This comes from slow cooking at a very low temperature. If your pot roast is too dry, make sure the pan you are using has a tight fitting lid and that you are cooking at the lowest possible heat to maintain the low simmering.

Suggest serving with green beans and potatoes

*If you use a gas range, you may find difficulty getting the flame low enough. A tip I recently read in Cook's Illustrated suggests tightly rolling up some aluminum foil, shaping it into a skinny donut, and putting that on top of the burner to create a little more distance between the range and the pan. If you have one of those high BTU ranges, I recommend cooking the roast in the oven instead.

Yield: Serves 4-5.

Who posted in: Delete

Member name Posts

cosjobs 3

beer 302 3

STEADYMOBBIN 22 3

Das Boot 2

Fennis 2

Raider Nation 2

Chemical X 2

belljr 2

spOOfy 2

togo 1

jon_mx 1

Leroy Hoard 1

scottybo 1

36th Chamber 1

Bigboy10182000 1

grateful zed 1

Psychopav 1

Josie Maran 1

Who posted in: DeleteMember name Posts cosjobs 3 beer 302 3 STEADYMOBBIN 22 3 Das Boot 2 Fennis 2 Raider Nation 2 Chemical X 2 belljr 2 spOOfy 2 togo 1 jon_mx 1 Leroy Hoard 1 scottybo 1 36th Chamber 1 Bigboy10182000 1 grateful zed 1 Psychopav 1 Josie Maran 1
One of the best ways to spot a top tier thread - wide participation, no one person monopolizing it.Definitely a late but strong Thread of the Year candidate.

I LOVED the Mod Squad. Link was awesome! However, Julie was even more awesome!

My Linc I mean

Last edited by a moderator:
There's just no way the Giants make the playoffs. If what they need to happen happens before the Skins game starts, then the Skins are automatically in. So they won't risk RG3 and Dallas should win, eliminating the Giants.

I'd rather hang here, if that's ok. The politics/religeon threads scare the living crap out of me. So...no, don't delete.

There's just no way the Giants make the playoffs. If what they need to happen happens before the Skins game starts, then the Skins are automatically in. So they won't risk RG3 and Dallas should win, eliminating the Giants.
Unless cousins wins for Washington anyway.. :shrug: or shanny wants the division and to host a playoff game

Users who are viewing this thread