What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Guitar Guys Thread -- all axes, all the time (2 Viewers)

Put another way, if your stay at home wife is dropping more on a new purse than you are on a new axe, there's a problem.

PS. Can I have your ES335?
GB O. If you want an ES335 and a Fender Twin, you need to just go ahead and buy them for yourself. You make plenty of money. One of the perks of giving up a career in music to get a "real job" is that you can afford to buy whatever gear you like. And it's not like you're dropping piles of cash on other hobbies like rounds of golf and new clubs, or hunting trips and new guns.
:goodposting: I would like to be a charter member of the Get Otis to Buy Himself an ES335 and a Twin movement. Are you a member of a country club? No? Do you blow hundreds a week on drugs? No? Do you have a garage full of Bentleys? No? Then spreading a couple small indulgences over a few months shouldn't hurt. Personally, if I'm not playing in a band, I'd dump all the electric stuff in favor of one of these puppies:http://www.hussanddalton.com/models.html#omThat's just me. But for the love of God, you earn it.

BTW, business idea..Dodge just introduced a new program where people can "sponsor" a Dodge Dart to help people pay for a new car. They obviously did it for an entry model to appeal to HS and college graduates. And the donations can work as a larger down payment then the person would have themselves. Good idea although I have no idea how many cars they will sell.Lots of travel and honeymoon and wedding registries now have the option of helping pay for a honeymoon or some big item as a group.Why isn't there (maybe there is) a site where you can sponsor guitars and gear for musicians? Most musicians are nuts about their stuff from guitars to cymbals to mic-stands. And a lot of them are under 25 years old and can't dream of having enough money to buy a new Les Paul or a new Marshall Stack. "Hey fans of Otis and the Mushmouths...as you know Big O turns 40 next week and we'd like to surprise him with this Hello Kitty Telecaster....don't tell him, but we're taking sponsorships for this axe over at xrelkfwlkj.com"

GB O. If you want an ES335 and a Fender Twin, you need to just go ahead and buy them for yourself. You make plenty of money. One of the perks of giving up a career in music to get a "real job" is that you can afford to buy whatever gear you like. And it's not like you're dropping piles of cash on other hobbies like rounds of golf and new clubs, or hunting trips and new guns.
:goodposting: I would like to be a charter member of the Get Otis to Buy Himself an ES335 and a Twin movement. Are you a member of a country club? No? Do you blow hundreds a week on drugs? No? Do you have a garage full of Bentleys? No? Then spreading a couple small indulgences over a few months shouldn't hurt. Personally, if I'm not playing in a band, I'd dump all the electric stuff in favor of one of these puppies:http://www.hussanddalton.com/models.html#omThat's just me. But for the love of God, you earn it.
I have basically no disposable income anymore. This is more in my ballpark.

I have basically no disposable income anymore. This is more in my ballpark.
Nice. Hey, Sir Paul was playing cigar box guitar with "Nirvana." I used to run a cigar/geek beer/wine bar and I had two different guys come in to get boxes to make guitars. Each brought one already made with them and they're cool like instruments. They can sound good and swampy.ETA: Btw, I've been a Nick Drake fan since high school, but for whatever reason never bothered working out any of his songs aside from a half-assed drop D Northern Sky. I'm completely hooked on the BEBEBE tuning. Never played with it before.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only mildly a guitar guy, can't play for crap (and that's not false modesty). I can barely string together a 3 (open) chord song. But I just got yesterday a new Squier Telecaster, but it seems pretty high quality for a low end guitar. Using iPad/iPhone apps and headphones, I can practice at work until my hand's a stiff claw. A couple of months and I might not be too embarrassed to ask a couple of my buddies (we're sort of in a club and area that tends to fill up with artistic types, and me) who are working musicians for some pro-style help and tidbits. Despite knowing very little, I love the semi-hollow body guitars and my dream guitar would be a Gretsch Country Club like Tim Armstrong uses. Twice I've missed working on a show with him while my buddy, a reborn Christian who wouldn't know Tim Armstrong from Lenny Kravitz, has called me up or texted me pictures of him holding the guitar Tim's written all his songs with. I told Chris I'd work for free next time they do an Armstrong project like his rock theater, which I did some pre-lighting and miniature work (before I even knew it was a Rancid/Armstrong thing).

Anyone here ever built a guitar? I'm not talking about planing ash in your wood shop or anything, just assembling a guitar from parts. I've decided to take a swing at putting together a Part-o-caster. Never done it before and know very little about the inner workings of a guitar, so this could be fun or a complete disaster/money pit. Thankfully, I know a guy who was a professional guitar tech, so I have him as back-up, but I'm going to take a run at screwing this up on my own first.

For a first step, I picked up this completely thrashed (I'm guessing intentionally so) strat body: http://imageshack.us/a/img715/6752/imageeez.jpg

Has anyone ever done this before? Any words of wisdom or cautionary tales?

Anyone here ever built a guitar? I'm not talking about planing ash in your wood shop or anything, just assembling a guitar from parts. I've decided to take a swing at putting together a Part-o-caster. Never done it before and know very little about the inner workings of a guitar, so this could be fun or a complete disaster/money pit. Thankfully, I know a guy who was a professional guitar tech, so I have him as back-up, but I'm going to take a run at screwing this up on my own first.

For a first step, I picked up this completely thrashed (I'm guessing intentionally so) strat body: http://imageshack.us/a/img715/6752/imageeez.jpg

Get your buddies help for the neck and intonation. The rest is not hard.

Get your buddies help for the neck and intonation. The rest is not hard.
Selecting/buying a neck or just attaching and adjusting it? Will definitely have him set it up for the intonation.

As for the rest being not hard, let's just say that I'll be purchasing my very first soldering iron for this.

Soldering is simple. I was taking about the actual attachment and making sure you don't go too tight and warp it before you know what you are doing.

Soldering is simple. I was taking about the actual attachment and making sure you don't go too tight and warp it before you know what you are doing.
Solid advice. Thanks. Thinking about going with an HSS set-up with an SD Pearly Gates humbucker and something along the lines of Texas Specials for the singles. But that's a fairly pedestrian set up for a strat.

Solid advice. Thanks. Thinking about going with an HSS set-up with an SD Pearly Gates humbucker and something along the lines of Texas Specials for the singles. But that's a fairly pedestrian set up for a strat.
Looks like the front hole looks like its a humbucker....am I seeing it wrong?

Yes. The body is set up so it can be SSS, HSS, or HSH.

'bigbottom said:
'Abraham said:
Iirc you have a strat already...?

'bigbottom said:
'Abraham said:
Iirc you have a strat already...?
Yeah, an '84 Elite (three alnico Fender singles) and a 2011 American Deluxe with a Fender atomic humbucker and two N3 noiseless single coils. The Deluxe is my stage performer. The Elite never leaves my house. This one I'm building is just for fun. If it looks cool and sounds decent, it might make the stage (I'm the third guitarist and lower in the mix anyway). Or I may sell it for a profit, or I may give it to my kid.I may go with HSH or just HH to have something different. Frankly I play the bridge humbucker position 90% of the time on stage (mostly crunchy rhythm cords).If this project doesn't end up being completely discouraging or a money pit, I may try a tele next. But teles have never been my style.

Put a paf in the back and a p90 in the front. Will truly be a unique *******.
And an expensive one, if you're talking about a real paf! That would be cool though. A vintage Les Paul in a much lighter package. That's thinking outside the box.

All true.One day I'll add the ES335 to my collection. For now I've got a Yamaha SA2200 that I'm absolutely in love with. Many say better quality than the Gibsons, it's a dream to play and sounds so sweet. Just in love with it. I also found a Fender solid state 2x12 amp from the 80's that just sounds so smooth, and it cost me $125 on CL. I've been randomly trading gear on CL and getting the better end of the trades. I've now got about $675 burning a hole in my pocket and I'm considering a Gibson SG. My very first axe as a teen was an Epiphone SG, and I played my first gigs with that guitar and recorded at my first studio with the band with that guitar. It was way better than the $300 it cost. Still I've always wanted the real thing. Sweet SGs can be had for $700 or so on CL and there's a pretty good inventory here. I may pull the trigger soon, just waiting on the right deal...Anyway, what brought me in here was I'm sitting in my house at 12:30 AM. I've been working like an animal this week with some soul crushing deadlines. Barely saw the wife or daughter. They're in bed now, but the deadlines are well in hand and will be done with tomorrow. So I'm sitting here with a scotch, my guitar plugged into a practice amp, headphones on, playing some blues riffs and doing some Santana Europa solo and improv and it's a beautiful thing. I don't get many quiet moments withe my guitar these days. Usually my daughter is yelling at me to put it back so I can play tea set or kitchen with her. But this reminds me of the old days, as a teenager, discovering Clapton, and Santana, and Zeppelin, holed up in my basement and just playing for hours and loving the sound of that guitar singing. Ah it's sweet.Life, gentlemen, is sweet. There are days on end of misery and stress and minutiae. But 30 minutes of this? That'll last me a while. Life, and guitars, are oh so sweet.:rockon:

You guys are really making this tempting...

Are you a member over at www.thegearpage.net?There are a billion threads over there about partscasters, those guys are gurus. Probably anything you need to know.

Good luck. Sounds pretty cool. I've never owned a Fender guitar, always been a Gibson guy, but one day I may take the plunge.

Update the thread, curious to hear how this goes...

All true.One day I'll add the ES335 to my collection. For now I've got a Yamaha SA2200 that I'm absolutely in love with. Many say better quality than the Gibsons, it's a dream to play and sounds so sweet. Just in love with it. I also found a Fender solid state 2x12 amp from the 80's that just sounds so smooth, and it cost me $125 on CL. I've been randomly trading gear on CL and getting the better end of the trades. I've now got about $675 burning a hole in my pocket and I'm considering a Gibson SG. My very first axe as a teen was an Epiphone SG, and I played my first gigs with that guitar and recorded at my first studio with the band with that guitar. It was way better than the $300 it cost. Still I've always wanted the real thing. Sweet SGs can be had for $700 or so on CL and there's a pretty good inventory here. I may pull the trigger soon, just waiting on the right deal...Anyway, what brought me in here was I'm sitting in my house at 12:30 AM. I've been working like an animal this week with some soul crushing deadlines. Barely saw the wife or daughter. They're in bed now, but the deadlines are well in hand and will be done with tomorrow. So I'm sitting here with a scotch, my guitar plugged into a practice amp, headphones on, playing some blues riffs and doing some Santana Europa solo and improv and it's a beautiful thing. I don't get many quiet moments withe my guitar these days. Usually my daughter is yelling at me to put it back so I can play tea set or kitchen with her. But this reminds me of the old days, as a teenager, discovering Clapton, and Santana, and Zeppelin, holed up in my basement and just playing for hours and loving the sound of that guitar singing. Ah it's sweet.Life, gentlemen, is sweet. There are days on end of misery and stress and minutiae. But 30 minutes of this? That'll last me a while. Life, and guitars, are oh so sweet.:rockon:
:banned:

Are you a member over at www.thegearpage.net?There are a billion threads over there about partscasters, those guys are gurus. Probably anything you need to know.

Good luck. Sounds pretty cool. I've never owned a Fender guitar, always been a Gibson guy, but one day I may take the plunge.

Update the thread, curious to hear how this goes...
Will do. Should be a fun experiment. As for thegearpage.net, talk about information overload.

1984 Stingray

1965 Frankenstein P Bass (body '65, neck '70, non original pickups/bridge)

Hartke HyDrive 1-15

Peavey Max-pre

Peavey Deca 720 amp

I saw no other bass posts

1984 Stingray1965 Frankenstein P Bass (body '65, neck '70, non original pickups/bridge)Hartke HyDrive 1-15Peavey Max-prePeavey Deca 720 ampI saw no other bass posts
:thumbup:I have a MIM Fender P Bass. Nothing special. It's fun to practice on even though I suck pretty bad. My big accomplishment is being able to play Green Day's Longview.

You guys should check out the yamaha THR line of practice amps.

For bedroom playing and recording, I've never played anything better. I have a boatload of amps and used to work in a music store, so I've tried many.

It can run off battery power or ac. Super portable but just sounds fantastic on all settings.

That's how I feel about this one. Last time I was in the studio I used it for both my electric and acoustic parts as well as for mandolin. Crazy versatile for such a low price.

Have any of you ever used software such as Guitar Rig 5 or Garageband? I'm looking for the best solution for mobility where I can plug my guitar into the computer and not have to worry about acquiring/moving amps from place to place. My main use is just jamming with my son and noodling about to various backing tracks at my pc with headphones.

I have an Epiphone Ultra III which has a USB port and a free download of Guitar Rig 4. I can upgrade to 5. Specifically, I'm looking for either a laptop or a tablet that has the specs to run well with the software, and was wondering if anyone has this type of setup.

Have any of you ever used software such as Guitar Rig 5 or Garageband? I'm looking for the best solution for mobility where I can plug my guitar into the computer and not have to worry about acquiring/moving amps from place to place. My main use is just jamming with my son and noodling about to various backing tracks at my pc with headphones. I have an Epiphone Ultra III which has a USB port and a free download of Guitar Rig 4. I can upgrade to 5. Specifically, I'm looking for either a laptop or a tablet that has the specs to run well with the software, and was wondering if anyone has this type of setup.
Not familiar with Guitar Rig, but I've been using GarageBand for years with an M-Audio firewire interface and it couldn't be more user friendly. The software instruments suck, but I'm using an older version so maybe they've gotten better.

Have any of you ever used software such as Guitar Rig 5 or Garageband? I'm looking for the best solution for mobility where I can plug my guitar into the computer and not have to worry about acquiring/moving amps from place to place. My main use is just jamming with my son and noodling about to various backing tracks at my pc with headphones. I have an Epiphone Ultra III which has a USB port and a free download of Guitar Rig 4. I can upgrade to 5. Specifically, I'm looking for either a laptop or a tablet that has the specs to run well with the software, and was wondering if anyone has this type of setup.
Not familiar with Guitar Rig, but I've been using GarageBand for years with an M-Audio firewire interface and it couldn't be more user friendly. The software instruments suck, but I'm using an older version so maybe they've gotten better.
I looked at garageband but I read somewhere that it only works on a MAC O/S, which I don't have.

You guys should check out the yamaha THR line of practice amps. For bedroom playing and recording, I've never played anything better. I have a boatload of amps and used to work in a music store, so I've tried many. It can run off battery power or ac. Super portable but just sounds fantastic on all settings.
I bought one a few weeks back (the clean sound model, in black, I forget what the model is called). Nice practice amp. I pop in the headphones at night when wife and toddler are sleeping and rock out. My only gripe is that the distortion sounds all have that non-tube "delay" where your attack isn't as instant, but for the money and for the task, it's a great little box.

Happy NGD to me a week or so ago...

I've been playing my used Yamaha SA2200 non-stop. Such an incredible guitar and value for the money. If you're looking for a semi hollow, look at these, seriously. The neck is crazy thin but so comfortable, I love it. Quality is awesome, tone is beautiful.

That said, my very first guitar as a teenage rocker was an Epiphone SG, and I always promised myself I would get the real thing one day. It was black, and later in my career I even tried to strip the paint because I always loved natural wood finishes on guitars. It looked sorta like crap, but whatever, I was a dumb kid.

Fast forward to last week, when I found a deal on CL I couldn't pass up. I had traded up a Roland JC120 amp that was beat to hell to get a Peavey XXX half stack, only so I could turn it around and trade it or sell it. Sold it for a nice profit, threw in another $100, and had a guy deliver one of these, in brand new condition (3 weeks old) to my house:

In Natural Burst (I love the Tobacco too..)

Awesome playing and sounding guitar. A lot nicer quality and feel than I remember on the Epiphone version way back when.

Now I just need a nice face-melting tube amp one of these days to point towards the neighbor I don't like and crank...

Now I just need a nice face-melting tube amp one of these days to point towards the neighbor I don't like and crank...
With an SG, I'm guessing you'll want to go the British stack route. Give Orange and Blackstar a spin. I have both a Marshall and an Orange and much prefer the sound from my Orange.

With an SG, I'm guessing you'll want to go the British stack route. Give Orange and Blackstar a spin. I have both a Marshall and an Orange and much prefer the sound from my Orange.
I see Orange discussed everywhere on the web and they seem pricey as all get out. It's weird because most of the gear makers are ones I knew as a teenager, but I don't recall orange being around back in the day. They really that good? I'm sort of hoping a nice tube MB combo shows up cheap somewhere one day, but usually they're pricey. I had a .50 Caliber in college that was to die for. Maybe I will check orange out...

I see Orange discussed everywhere on the web and they seem pricey as all get out. It's weird because most of the gear makers are ones I knew as a teenager, but I don't recall orange being around back in the day. They really that good? I'm sort of hoping a nice tube MB combo shows up cheap somewhere one day, but usually they're pricey. I had a .50 Caliber in college that was to die for. Maybe I will check orange out...
Orange has been around for decades (mostly in Britain back in the day). But Orange amps were never really mainstream gear you could buy in your local music shops until much more recently. Yes, they are expensive. Yes, they are really that good at what they do. Keep in mind that they are great for some things and not as great for others - but a tube Orange will pair awesomely with your SG. But don't take my word for it. Find a local shop that carries a good selection and try a few out. For something that isn't a big giant half stack, the Tiny Terror Combo is awesome and doesn't break the bank. But it's very stripped down. One channel. No reverb. Just killer ####### tone.Also try out Blackstar's amps. Another high end British stack-style amp. And give the Marshalls a run of course. I'm not a huge fan of Mesa Boogies though I know a few people who love them (including the lead guitarist in my band, who is awesome). For what it's worth, a couple of guitar pros I know (guys that tech for the all time greats) think MBs are overrated and absolutely suck for recording.

You guys should check out the yamaha THR line of practice amps. For bedroom playing and recording, I've never played anything better. I have a boatload of amps and used to work in a music store, so I've tried many. It can run off battery power or ac. Super portable but just sounds fantastic on all settings.
I bought one a few weeks back (the clean sound model, in black, I forget what the model is called). Nice practice amp. I pop in the headphones at night when wife and toddler are sleeping and rock out. My only gripe is that the distortion sounds all have that non-tube "delay" where your attack isn't as instant, but for the money and for the task, it's a great little box.
I haven't noticed this problem, but I have the THR5 and don't use headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread