What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official Houston Texans Draft Report Card**** (1 Viewer)

Like 99.99% of us, I haven't watched tape on these guys any more than the handful of plays we see on draft specials, and those chosen to illustrate some point.  But when it comes down to evaluating those kind of specific aspects of a recruit, I'm going to put more stock in the evaluations of guys who do it for a living, but more importantly actually have had a chance to thoroughly study the player.  Yes they could be wrong and some times are, but wouldn't you agree that between you, I, and the scouts, they probably have the more informed opinion about his agility?

As I said, I agree that cornerback is a major need.  Safety as well though I wouldn't worry about it before corner and LB unless a guy fell that was a great value.  But there is no way this team was going to address every need they had in 1 draft.  The fact that their picks did address needs with quality players with upside makes it hard for me to fault them if they felt the LBs available there were better than the CBs.

I'll also note that every single media source I've seen that grades drafts has the Texans ranging from a B to an A, so seeing the value in their picks is far from a fringe opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On these points I'd add, name how many times the Texans have been right the past 4 years. Dunta Robinson, Dominick Davis....who else? How many pro bowl offensive or defensive players have they drafted? How about this....

How many Texans do you honestly feel would start for a .500 team right now? 4, 5 tops?

Are the scouts more informed? Yes. That doesn't mean they make the correct decisions. Watching film and attending the combines doesn't show you who is going to be the best professional football player. I have lost my faith in the Texans staff ability to draft, plain and simple.

And from all the media sources that you have read giving them a grade of B or A, how many D's and F's have you seen? How many other B's and A's have their been? If there are 32 teams and there are 4 A's, should there not be 4 F's? Every thing I have read, shows the Texans getting high B's too, but I NEVER see a grade lower than a C, so that tells me that that media sources are a bunch of chicken #### pansies afraid to disparage a draft. Lastly, if you have the #1 pick in the first round, the #1 pick in the second round, and the #1 & #2 picks in the third round, how the hell are you not going to score some players that are rated highly? Fact remains they blew this draft, in my humble opinion. I've given a very detailed analysis of the players they selected and why they are not right. I have also demonstrated how they TOTALLY avoided their most glaring need. How many of the other media sources went into any detail with the Texans, besides a blurb about one player? Don't buy into the spin doctoring going on with the media and the Texans. This is a pathetic franchise right now.

The 2006 NFL Draft was another major blunder for the Texans...

This will be made obvious numerous times over the next half dozen years...

Just a terrible terrible business as well as football move...

I was looking forward to the 2006 season to see the offense we were going to put on the field...

Now there is no excitement and I have little interest in watching one of the most boring offenses in the league...

How's Buchanon and Babs working out for us? You know, two guys who were worth more to the Texans than any other team in the NFL. The kicker was that they traded up betting the farm on him to a team in the same division!

Here's some good stuff about the whole cluser****

Pasquarelli

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft06/colu..._len&id=2428160

• Orchestra seats:Virtually every franchise in the league provides at least an assortment of free munchies for the media covering the two-day proceedings at team complexes. And, perhaps fearful of losing their media membership card, just about every reporter partakes. No word as to what they were serving at the Houston Texans facility, but we're betting that Kool-Aid was among the beverages on the menu. How come? Because a lot of folks with laptops and mini-cams were certainly drinking the Kool-Aid when it came to the spin that the Texans were privately offering up for media consumption. At least in their public stance, that the decision to choose defensive end Mario Williams over tailback Reggie Bush was based on football needs, the Texans were more forthcoming. But the Texans brass, which at times has questioned the media over matters as incidental as a misplaced comma, was pretty shrewd in manipulating the press during negotiations with Williams and Bush last week. And certainly after the deal was done, when they quietly planted the seed that the Bush camp had been seeking a prohibitive contract, the Texans orchestrated one of the best misinformation campaigns in recent draft history.

The end-game to Houston's master strategy began Wednesday when the Texans leaked word that, because of a breakthrough negotiating session on Tuesday night, they were on the verge of completing an accord with Bush to become the draft's top pick. But there was no marathon session on Tuesday and, clearly, no breakthrough. In fact, the leak served to prod Williams and agent Ben Dogra, who had been reluctant to enter into substantive talks because they felt they were only being used for leverage, to get serious about negotiations. Great irony, huh, given that everyone thought the Texans' interest in Williams was a contrived charade meant to scare Bush into a deal. Actually, it was the reverse, with Bush the guy used to nudge Williams into negotiations.

As for the media contentions that Bush and agent Joel Segal had been seeking an exorbitant $30 million in guarantees, and that they "blew it" by not jumping at the offer Williams subsequently accepted? Well, the Bush camp, which had been working on proposals for a month and had counseled with NFL Players Association officials about the restrictions posed by the collective bargaining agreement, knew that $30 million in guarantees was essentially unattainable. The top end for guaranteed money in a deal for this year's first pick was in the $28 million range and that was Bush's target. Never was there a proposal for $30 million. Nor, as Houston owner Bob McNair claimed on Saturday, did his team make the same offer to both candidates for the top spot. In fact, a calculation error, a technical matter that reduced the total guaranteed money proposed to Bush, means he never received an offer as high as the one Williams accepted. When Segal phoned the Texans to point out the error, he was told that the club was suspending negotiations with him. The next time the two sides spoke was 10 minutes after Houston officials distributed the press release announcing the Williams agreement.

As for who made the call on Williams over Bush, well, it's hard to believe that general manager Charley Casserly was the primary catalyst on that one. Casserly has historically toed the "chalk" in the high rounds, typically selecting the proven commodity over the guy with potential. That wasn't the case this time around which lends credence to suspicions around the league that first-year coach Gary Kubiak has more sway in personnel matters than predecessor Dom Capers ever did. And that McNair, despite protests to the contrary, was scared to death of the off-field issues that swirled around Bush last week.

• By the numbers: As for the Texans' contention that they chose Williams over Bush because their needs were more on the defensive side, consider this: Williams played on a North Carolina State unit that in 2005 statistically ranked as the ACC's third-best defense. Fourth in defense versus the run, fourth in defense against the pass, and No. 3 overall. Among his teammates were a pair of fellow first-round selections, defensive end Manny Lawson (San Francisco) and defensive tackle John McCargo (Buffalo), along with linebacker Stephen Tulloch, who was chosen by Tennessee in the fourth round. And the team's record, despite having four defenders chosen among the top 116 players in the draft, was 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the conference.

As for who made the call on Williams over Bush, well, it's hard to believe that general manager Charley Casserly was the primary catalyst on that one. Casserly has historically toed the "chalk" in the high rounds, typically selecting the proven commodity over the guy with potential. That wasn't the case this time around which lends credence to suspicions around the league that first-year coach Gary Kubiak has more sway in personnel matters than predecessor Dom Capers ever did. And that McNair, despite protests to the contrary, was scared to death of the off-field issues that swirled around Bush last week.
I believe Pasquarelli was correct about this. Did anyone hear Bob McNair on Sports Radio 610 yesterday afternoon? He spent a lot of time talking about the Bush pick. I think he mentioned Kubiak's input into the pick about 6 times and the name Casserly never came up in the interview.Not that I think it was just Kubiak... I'm sure McNair's concerns about signability played a role too. But I think Casserly is just being the face of the organization in talking to the media at this point.

Anyone seen Mario Williams lately? By my last count, his NC State teammate Manny Lawson is dominating him statistically.

Looks like Owen Daniels is pretty good :thumbup:

Prop bet: Number of sacks by Mario Williams + number of Texans wins this year, over/under set at 6

Anyone seen Mario Williams lately? By my last count, his NC State teammate Manny Lawson is dominating him statistically.Looks like Owen Daniels is pretty good :thumbup:Prop bet: Number of sacks by Mario Williams + number of Texans wins this year, over/under set at 6
Over easily...Williams will fall into a few sack if he keeps playing a similiar amount of time. Also, the Texans schedule gets more manageable about the mid-point of the season and they will probably end up with 4 or 5 wins.

Users who are viewing this thread