What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Holy crap people!  He's not in college anymore.  No one cared when he was in college because that's typical behavior.  He's moved on and now was suppose to start his career.  He's messed that up for himself now.

You go to college and have a blast then you graduate and grow up some.  Thousands of athletes do it every year.  You can still enjoy yourself but once you graduate college you generally know that there is a time and a place for it.

Not sure why this topic continues to generate so much interest. Manziel came into the NFL knowing what he had to do -- buckle down, get some humility and focus, learn form those around him, and gear all of his attention on succeeding at the next level.

He really didn't do any of those things, and while we can debate whether it's great for him to continue partying or not, bottom line is that I think he clearly doesn't value the opportunity he had. He is clearly not focused on righting that ship, and shows no recognition that succeeding in the NFL is more about what you can do on the field -- as a QB, your demeanor, leadership, focus, etc. should be exemplary as the leader of the team.

If Manziel still wants to party, good for him. But this is the last time I'll give him any thought -- he clearly doesn't take his job seriously, so don't know why I should take him seriously any longer.

Partying is one thing.  Doing so to the point of having multiple car wrecks, damaging homes, losing your job, beating your girlfriend causing injury or just beating her at all, and alienating lifelong friends so that one has to buy friends in the circle of intoxication until the money runs out and your health markedly deteriorates, that's another matter.  This is beyond college partying, even reckless and excessive partying; this is destructive addiction. 

DallasDMac said:
Didn't read the article but, based on the title, who exactly WAS expecting to see Manziel on a team for the 2016 season? I'd like the guy's name so I can make fun of him.
You clearly havent read this thread then.

You clearly havent read this thread then.
It's been quite a long time since I saw anyone think he had any reasonable chance of returning this season. There were some earlier on, sure, but that seems like (p)ages ago. I think everyone has given up on Johnny and moved on by now.

Not sure if it's been posted yet, but I just noticed that Johnny Manziel has been removed from the Yahoo! player database.  His career is officially over. 

I'm not sure the premise of this article but I think it's this:

He was football version's of a child star, its first freshman Heisman Trophy winner. Such status rarely goes unpunished. Fame and youth, and our obsessions with such pop culture touchstones who happen to be young and vulnerable, rarely end well. Michael Jackson. Lindsay Lohan. Britney Spears. Macaulay Culkin. The list is long and ugly.

Huh?

So now we all share culpability in the fact that this moron never took his gifts and the career he could have had seriously, that he has zero sense of what it means to be a professional, that he couldn't rise above his coddled and enabled lifestyle to simply take responsibility for himself and his actions and simply, I don't know, act mature?

Riiiiiiiiiiiight..... 

ETA: referencing the article, and sharing SaintsInDome's sentiments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw on Yahoo News that Deandre Hopkins is now boning Manziel's ex. The chick that he smacked around and was in the car along side the road when police were called. Downward spiral.

Partying is one thing.  Doing so to the point of having multiple car wrecks, damaging homes, losing your job, beating your girlfriend causing injury or just beating her at all, and alienating lifelong friends so that one has to buy friends in the circle of intoxication until the money runs out and your health markedly deteriorates, that's another matter.  This is beyond college partying, even reckless and excessive partying; this is destructive addiction. 
this was an awesome reply

I'm not sure the premise of this article but I think it's this:

He was football version's of a child star, its first freshman Heisman Trophy winner. Such status rarely goes unpunished. Fame and youth, and our obsessions with such pop culture touchstones who happen to be young and vulnerable, rarely end well. Michael Jackson. Lindsay Lohan. Britney Spears. Macaulay Culkin. The list is long and ugly.

Huh?
Bull####.  Charles Woodson was an is still the only defensive player to win the Heisman.  He's fine.  What about other childhood stars like Kurt Russell, Jodi Foster, Ron Howard, Christian Bale, Natalie Portman, Lebron James was younger than Manziel when he went PRO!  Steve Yzerman, Wayne Gretzky, Sidney Crosby?  

The list of young people who went on to great success is long and distinguished.  Manziel just an addict is all.  And a moron.  

I'm just glad he's out of the league, because that means one more guy, who is deserving of being in the league is allowed to stay.  I don't wish him any ill will.  I don't wish him any luck either.  

Sarcasm rarely work forums unless there is some sort of emoticon or something.  There are too many people that truly do believe what you have posted.
Good point.  

I was just repeating stupid #### others have posted repeatedly in this thread....though recently those folks seem to have disappeared....

Dude has his last couple million coming (prob 1 or so after taxes/fees/etc)... no way he's not broke and pleading for sympathy within a year. 

his parents are very wealthy, he'll never be broke.
Maybe not broke, but homeboy has burned the hell out of the parental bridge with this stunt. I don't exactly see mom and dad letting him sleep in a gutter, but I don't see them enabling him either. 

Speaking engagements/appearances should keep him in 6-figure income range for a little while until he becomes a has-been caricature of himself. 

Speaking engagements/appearances should keep him in 6-figure income range for a little while until he becomes a has-been caricature of himself. 
Who would pay him to speak? I mean, seriously, unless there's a National Train Wreck Convention, I'm not sure who would want to be associated with him or his current lifestyle.

Who would pay him to speak? I mean, seriously, unless there's a National Train Wreck Convention, I'm not sure who would want to be associated with him or his current lifestyle.
I hear the Republican National Convention is looking for speakers.

According to the Washington Post, "many" of free agent Johnny Manziel's friends "have no idea whether he'll play football again," or "if he even wants to."
One friend said Manziel "orders the subject change" whenever someone brings up football. "Just a known thing that you don’t really bring up unless he wants to." The same friend said in May "he didn’t think Manziel had any intention of playing again." Another of Manziel's friends said Johnny Football recently resumed working out, hired a personal chef, and "has stuck to his goal" of staying sober since July 1. A statement from Manziel was emailed to the Post. "I’m not saying I’m never drinking again, but for now just mostly being healthy," Manziel wrote. "I’ve got a killer gym in my house and I can spend time working out. I’m interested in doing a lot of different things in my life — including football — but, right now, I’m just exploring options and waiting to see what the future holds."

Source: Washington Post 
Jul 17 - 2:00 PM

Empty, meaningless words. It's his actions that will determine where he ends up. He has shown nothing to indicate he has anywhere near the motivation or dedication to ever make it back in to the league.

Yeah, I'm sure this is about getting an education and not at all about partying and plowing a new group of 19 year olds

Users who are viewing this thread