What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (1 Viewer)

Mike Holmgren describes Johnny Manziel as a 'long shot'

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

The opinions on Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel run the gamut.

NFL Media senior draft analyst Gil Brandt, for instance, thinks he is the best prospect in this draft. But former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski has said he wouldn't take Manziel in the first three rounds.

Sports Illustrated's Peter King wrote a piece about watching video of Manziel from 2013 against Alabama and LSU with "five of the smartest quarterback people I know:" Duke coach David Cutcliffe, former NFL quarterbacks Doug Flutie and Rich Gannon, former NFL head coach Mike Holmgren and former NFL offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride.

"Each liked what he saw, to differing degrees," King wrote. "Flutie, predictably, would take Manziel high in the May 8 draft. Gannon, bothered by Manziel's sloppy mechanics, wouldn't take him high but thinks he's an intriguing prospect. Holmgren thinks he's a long shot to be a top NFL player. Gilbride does as well, but Gilbride thinks the right mechanic could fix Manziel's flaws and make him a very good player."

Here is a sampling of quotes from the story:

Holmgren: "I think (long-term success) is a long shot. When he makes plays, he's most effective moving, scrambling, gets a little lucky, and then he's got a lot of those throws that most guys can make. When he has to really throw the ball accurately, I just didn't think he threw the ball well enough."

Gannon: "He needs to go somewhere where you've got a great quarterback coach and a great coordinator, and they're really going to drill him on footwork -- a guy like Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, somebody who's going coach the crap out of him on how to play in the pocket. You hope he goes somewhere and gets a chance to thrive, as opposed to Jacksonville or somewhere where he's got to be that guy and carry a team when he's not ready to do that yet. (Jaguars offensive coordinator) Jedd Fisch is not a guy who's going to take out the whip and crack it. He's not that guy. Johnny needs a guy who's not going to be his buddy -- who's going to be his coach. This guy needs tight reins."

Flutie: "Sometimes he just trusts his athleticism too much. You can't just run around and make plays in the NFL. It doesn't happen. The field is too small, given the speed and size of the players. I found that out. But in the NFL, are you going to get away from those D-linemen? Are you going to get away from those linebackers who are faster than you? In the NFL, you can't always rely on athleticism."

Cutcliffe: "You can tell he's smart. You train a quarterback from the neck up and the neck down. The neck down is all those mechanics and things that have to happen mindlessly. ... He's got a little issue mechanically, but he's using his eyes and his mind really well."

Gannon: "You talk to the people in Pittsburgh about Ben Roethlisberger. Mike Tomlin says, There's gonna be three or four plays every game where he runs around and makes six guys miss and then gets sacked and loses 10 yards. But we have to tolerate because of the couple times a game where he does that and he throws for a 70-yard touchdown. That's who he is. You're going to have to take some negative plays because that's who he is. You can't take that natural instinct away from him."

Gilbride: "His mechanics are awful. It's hard not to be influenced by the things you've heard, that the problem is lack of discipline. That manifests itself off the field and in the way he plays."

Cutcliffe: "Out of the pocket, that's where he manages to get the job done. Again, his knowledge, his vision is what impressed me in person against our defense (in the Chick-fil-A Bowl to end the 2013 season). He knew what we were doing and where to go with the ball. And his suddenness. He's not having to do a whole lot with his lower body to throw that thing incredibly well with velocity. That's just what I saw in person in the bowl game. I could not believe his ability to just snap it off and get it out there in a hurry -- with accuracy and with velocity."

Flutie: "He can make every throw, and I don't know every NFL offense from top to bottom, but just put him in the shotgun and spread the field out and let him play. You've got to find a way to let him play."

Holmgren: "Everyone's saying, 'Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson' (as a comparison because of the lack of height). ... . If you say, 'Well, now because of Russell Wilson, we should draft 5-11 quarterbacks' -- well, Wilson is so special in other areas that allow him to do that. Plus their defense is so good. Plus their kicking game is good. Plus they have Marshawn Lynch. So it all fits that way for him."

Gilbride: "I'd rather have the guy who takes a shot than the guy who's afraid to take a chance. He ain't afraid to take a chance. Those are the guys who win. It's nice to have a guy who can solve problems. It's nice when you can solve them with your feet. It gives him a solution to difficulties that guys who can't run don't have. It can't be the only solution, or the team will never be good."

Gannon: "He has the ability to avoid the rush, and create, and improvise. I like that in a quarterback. That's the one thing when I watch this tape that gets me excited about Johnny Manziel. I like the fact that he can make something out of nothing. I like the fact that he can avoid the rush. I like the fact that he can keep plays alive. Those are all good things."

Cutcliffe: "Can he make it? Yes. Will he? Has a lot to do with all the 'X' factors -- where he lands, the system he's in, who's coaching him, his commitment and willingness to continue to improve."

Flutie: "I hope they don't take the fun out of the game for him."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer tweeted Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel has "flown up draft boards."
"Manziel has done more to help himself during his private mtgs, workout w teams than any QB in this draft FAR!!!" Glazer added. "Still teams at top are wrestling (with) risk-reward of such dynamic talent (versus) can his body hold up on this level." Manziel has a real shot at being the first quarterback off the board.

Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Thank you for that article Faust, that is great info there from some great analysts,
Agreed! It's nice to get some measured thoughts on Manziel, especially since a lot of what's reported is to the far end of the spectrum either positive or negative.

Rotoworld:

An anonymous scout believes Johnny Manziel is more naturally talented than Drew Brees.
"His arm's not as strong as (Michael) Vick's, but he's farther along in the passing game (than Vick was)," the scout said. "He's better than (Doug) Flutie, faster and better than (Russell) Wilson. He reminds me a little bit of (Joe) Montana." This is hyperbole of the highest order, of course, but there's been plenty of it in the opposite direction for the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner. There's a good chance Manziel comes off the board within the first 10 picks.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
In a poll of 20 NFL personnel executives, eight predicted Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will be a "hit" in the pros, while the other 12 guessed "miss."
NFL people have a hard time projecting Manziel with any confidence because there have been so few successful quarterbacks like him. At 5-foot-11 3/4, he'll become just the eighth sub-6-foot QB drafted in the last 28 years. "He typifies the SportsCenter generation," said Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff. "As far as being reminiscent of anyone in the past, to me he's of a different generation of quarterback. It will be interesting to see how his career plays out." In another poll of 17 personnel men conducted by the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, Manziel received eight votes as the top quarterback in the 2014 draft. Blake Bortles got four first-place votes, while Teddy Bridgewater and Derek Carr each got two.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen stated on NFL Insiders that the Rams' interest in Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is "genuine."
"I believe their interest is serious," added Mort. "There are people who believe they could take him at No. 2." There is increasing buzz surrounding St. Louis' volatile quarterback position, where with a $14.015 million salary, Sam Bradford is arguably the most overpaid player in football. Installing Manziel as their starter, and moving on from Bradford, would save the Rams roughly $7 million in immediate cap space while adding a dynamic dual-threat under center, building up the offense in division-rivals San Francisco and Seattle's likeness.

Related: Rams

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes the Rams "interest" in Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel could be to entice teams targeting him to trade up.
"I might be wrong, but the Rams "interest" in Manziel is what St. Louis wants out there, enticing a possible trade up from a team targeting Johnny Manziel," Brugler tweeted. The Rams traded away their second overall pick to the Washington Redskins, when they drafted Robert Griffin III, and the Rams received three first-round picks and a second rounder. With that kind of return from their previous trade, you can't blame the Rams for trying to get lighting to strike twice.

Source: Dane Brugler on Twitter

Kyle Shanahan on Johnny Manziel: 'The guy can play football'By Daniel Kim NFL.com

The Cleveland Browns have seemingly been all over the map on Johnny Manziel. Over the winter the team made it no secret that it was extremely high on the quarterback prospect. Then, reports surfaced in late February that the new regime under general manager Ray Farmer actually had its heart set not on Manziel but on Fresno State's Derek Carr. Things became even more puzzling when the Browns were a no-show at Manziel's pro day workout.

With less than a week before the NFL draft, as opinions about Manziel's draft position and whether his unique playing style can succeed in the NFL continue to swirl, Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has made at least one thing clear: He believes Manziel's success can carry over to the NFL.

"It's obvious how good of a player he is, how fun he is to watch," Shanahan told The Plain Dealer. "I think it does translate to the NFL. If you can make those plays in college, you can do it in the NFL."

But Shanahan also noted that although Manziel's size (6-feet, 207 pounds) and playing style aren't big concerns, he'll have to evolve in the pros.

"The one thing about the NFL, there's a lot of tape out there," he said. "You've got to be able to do everything. Whatever you do very good, they're going to eventually be able to shut that down, and you're going to have to do something else. He's going to be able to make plays in this league. Eventually, when they try to contain him, he's going to have to do everything he didn't always have to do in college.

"The guy can play football," Shanahan continued. "I don't care if you're a big guy or a smaller guy -- if you take too many hits in the league, I don't care who you are, it's tough to stay healthy. He's got to take care of himself, especially with the way he plays. But I think he definitely has the size to succeed in the league."

Shanahan previously spent three seasons as offensive coordinator for the Washington Redskins, where he coached a similarly mobile quarterback in Robert Griffin III. But as head coach Mike Pettine noted to The Plain Dealer, Shanahan also had success coaching a more conventional pocket passer in Matt Schaub while with the Houston Texans.

"One of the reasons I hired (Shanahan) is that his system is flexible," Pettine said. "He was able to be productive with Matt Schaub, who wouldn't be on your list of mobile quarterbacks in the NFL, then he was able to have a historic year with Robert Griffin, who's probably the most mobile. They come in all shapes and sizes.

"But I think we've gotten to the point where we're very much on the same page with what we're looking for."

What the Browns are looking for won't be revealed until next week, although Pettine recently indicated that in an ideal world they wouldn't select a quarterback with their No. 4 pick. NFL.com's recent mock drafts have taken note: All eight analysts have the team taking a quarterback with its No. 26 pick.

Of course, whether Manziel is still on the board at that point is debatable. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported last week that several teams believe it would be a major surprise if Manziel fell outside the top 10.

Follow College Football 24/7 on Twitter @NFL_CFB.

Rotoworld:

Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel was the one quarterback in this draft that could start Week 1.
"Johnny would probably be the one guy you could plug in there sooner rather than later just because his style of play isn’t going to change much from Year 1 to Year 2," Caldwell said. Caldwell went on to say selecting Manziel would not require wholesale changes to the Jacksonville offense. The Jags are still likely to select an edge rusher or wide receiver if they stand pat at pick three, but perhaps Manziel could be the target if Jacksonville decides to trade down.

Related: Jaguars

Manziel buzz picking up today as per Rotoworld:

SB Nation's Ryan Van Bibber reports the Rams' interest in Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is "genuine," and being driven by coach Jeff Fisher.
Van Bibber's report comes via a "reliable source." The more Manziel gets linked to St. Louis, the more chatter there is that it's just a smokescreen, but this is the first we've heard of the Rams' reported interest being driven explicitly by Fisher. NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes there are stylistic similarities between Manziel and the late Steve McNair. It was with McNair, of course, that Fisher had his best years as an NFL coach. If this is a smokescreen designed to entice teams to trade up, it's a good one.

Related: Rams

Source: Ryan Van Bibber on Twitter
According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Browns owner Jimmy Haslam "loves" Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
The Browns have been linked to Manziel for months on end, and it wouldn't be surprising if Haslam was the primary reason. Haslam has proven extremely meddlesome and impatient in his first year and a half on the job, and could overrule his football men on the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner.

Related: Browns

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
ESPN's Field Yates stated on NFL Insiders Monday that there "has been buzz in league circles" about the Eagles' interest in Johnny Manziel.
One totally unverified, dot-connection-based rumor recently had the Eagles trading up to draft Manziel, perhaps as high as the No. 1 pick. We obviously don't see that as likely, but Manziel would arguably be a superior fit for Chip Kelly's offense than incumbent Nick Foles. (Foles could interest the Texans.) It's a pre-draft rumor to be taken lightly, but certainly notable enough to pass along.

Related: Eagles
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on On the Clock Monday that Johnny Manziel was the "focal point" of the Rams' Friday visit to Texas A&M.
The Rams also technically worked out Jake Matthews and Mike Evans, but their eye is reportedly most focused on Manziel. "Make no mistake, Johnny Manziel was the focal point of their visit to College Station," Mortensen said. "... Manziel, I'm told, aced everything." Mort stated Manziel is "very much in the picture" for St. Louis, presumably at the No. 2 overall pick. If the Rams passed on Manziel at 2, and took someone like Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews, Mort indicated he'd expect the Browns to snap up Johnny Football at the No. 4 pick.

Related: Browns, Rams
SI's Peter King says the Rams like Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "a lot."
ESPN's Chris Mortensen has also caught wind of this, saying Friday that the Rams' interest in Manziel is "genuine." Per King, Rams GM Les Snead recently traveled to meet with Kliff Kingsbury -- Manziel's position coach in 2012 -- and came away thinking Johnny Football "could adjust to life well as an NFL passer." If he's there at No. 13 overall, the Rams will at least consider taking the plunge. There are also whispers out there that Manziel is in play at No. 2 overall. Sam Bradford is scheduled to make $14.05 million this season.

Related: Sam Bradford, Rams

Source: SI.com

Texas A&M coach: Johnny Manziel will be great in right systemBy Dan Parr

The best advice Johnny Manziel's former offensive coordinator has for the next man charged with designing a Manziel-led offense: let Johnny Football be Johnny Football.

Texas A&M offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Jake Spavital, who coached Manziel during his final season with the Aggies, suggested system fit (one that allows Manziel to make plays with his feet) above all else as the factor that will dictate whether Manziel is successful at the next level or not. Spavital also mentioned the Seahawks' Wilson-led offense as a good model for the former A&M star.

"If you get him in a good system, and the right system that works for him, I think he'll do great," Spavital told cleveland.com. "When I say that, I mean I don't think he'd be as successful being under center, 23 personnel (two running backs, three tight ends), hand the ball off, play action type of guy. Can he do it? Yes, but I think he's more kind of like what Russell Wilson did this year in Seattle, play him within a system that allows him to utilize his running ability and I think he'll succeed."

Spavital obviously doesn't see a need for Manziel to completely rein in his scrambling ways as he transitions to the NFL, and the calls to let Johnny be Johnny have gathered some steam as the draft (May 8-10) approaches. The refrain is a response to one of the biggest questions about Manziel: Will he, at 5-foot-11 3/4 and 207 pounds, tone down his penchant for opening himself up to hits enough in an effort to hold up physically at the next level?

Spavital, who also coached Brandon Weeden at Oklahoma State and Geno Smith at West Virginia, said that issue has actually never been a concern for him, saying Manziel is too smart to let it become a problem in the NFL.

"His durability, I've never worried about that," he said. "With his competitiveness side, his emotional side, he'd lower his head and run people over but when he'd go up against Alabama, he'd scramble and he'd either run out of bounds or he'd slide. He's smart enough to understand the level of competition he's against, and he knows he can't go an entire season trying to run over people because he won't last that long, but that's something that you don't really have to worry about with him.

"Johnny always likes to compare his game to Russell Wilson's, and I think that's a great one for him to pattern his game after," Spavital continued. "When he was growing up, he emulated Michael Vick. That's his thing, using his feet to keep the play alive and it's what makes him so special."

Spavital also pointed to Manziel's intelligence in explaining why he thinks the prospect could adapt to playing in a version of the West Coast offense, such as the one the QB-needy Browns -- who hold the fourth overall pick -- are expected to run under new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan.

As much as what Manziel does with his arm and feet is discussed, Spavital seems to think Manziel's mind is what could put him over the top as a pro.

If Manziel plays as smartly as his former offensive coordinator thinks he will he won't be the same old Johnny Football, but he'll certainly have increased his chances of becoming a quality NFL quarterback.

Charley Casserly: Johnny Manziel won't go in 1st roundBy Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Everything is on the table with Johnny Manziel. That's part of his appeal.

You never know what's coming from play to play or from game to game. Manziel's unpredictability works on a macro level too. He could have a career like Michael Vick, Drew Brees or Vince Young, and none of it would be particularly surprising. We certainly don't know what's going to happen to Manziel this week.

Most analysts have Manziel going in the draft's top 10. There is increased speculation lately that the St. Louis Rams might take Manziel, who would displace quarterback Sam Bradford. And then there is our resident NFL Network general manager, Charley Casserly, who doesn't even have Manziel going in the first round of his latest mock draft.

I sit right behind Casserly when he's in Los Angeles and know how much research goes into his mock drafts. He spends all day on the phone with executives around the league; it's not coming out of thin air.

Casserly doesn't see Manziel as a top-10 talent and that view is shared by most teams, Casserly says. That is a long-held view for many of the decision-makers. Casserly spoke with eight executives back in January. Only one of the eight believed Manziel was a top-15 talent.

Casserly's sources simply don't see the Cleveland Browns, Oakland Raiders, Jacksonville Jaguars or Minnesota Vikings taking Manziel in the first round. Speaking with Around The League on Monday, Casserly felt strongly that Cleveland's staff was not interested in Manziel.

Of course, not everyone agrees. Our draft expert Daniel Jeremiah has Manziel going at No. 4 to Cleveland in his mock draft. ESPN suggested Monday they expect the Browns to take Manziel at No. 4, if he's available. This is the time of year when practically every scenario is covered. You can find a mock draft or report covering nearly any possibility, and then you can find another report disputing the fact.

Only three days left until we finally learn the truth.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks down draft news and rumors and predicts headlines for the week.

Manziel the next Russell Wilson?

Stats show that Johnny Football might follow in Super Bowl QB's footsteps

By Sharon Katz and Toby Petitpas | ESPN Stats & Info

Heading into the 2014 NFL draft, several questions have emerged regarding Johnny Manziel's ability to make the transition to the pro game:

Is he too short? Can he throw from the pocket? Will he be able to outrun NFL defensive ends?

Manziel has tried to answer these questions in the weeks before the draft. He had a strong performance at the combine and received rave reviews for his performance, in shoulder pads and a helmet, at his pro day. Yet the questions remain.

Russell Wilson faced similar questions heading into the 2012 NFL draft. He ended up being selected in the third round, the sixth quarterback off the board. He has since played like a top-10 pick.

No starting quarterback in the past two years has won more games -- including playoff games and Super Bowl XLVIII -- than Wilson. His Total QBR ranks seventh in the NFL during his two seasons.

Manziel, during two seasons at Texas A&M, exhibited many of the same on-field characteristics that Wilson showed in college. Besides the obvious height comparison, both players showcased an ability to extend plays and excel on third down. And each refined his passing skill in his final collegiate season.

Ability to extend playsManziel showed a knack for making something out of nothing. He had 521 more rushing yards and 27 more first downs on scrambles than any other AQ quarterback in the past two seasons, and he led the SEC during that time with 29 rushes that gained 20 yards or more; about 72 percent of those runs were scrambles.

If you include his passing on scrambles, Texas A&M gained 2,546 yards as a result of Manziel's scrambling during his career. If you were to subtract those yards from Texas A&M's total, the Aggies would have gone from the third-most yards in the nation to 26th.

Two of Manziel's signature plays came when the play broke down. In 2012 at Alabama, Manziel had what many people considered his "Heisman Moment." After taking the snap, he spun, lost the ball, recovered it and then threw a touchdown to Ryan Swope in the middle of the end zone. In his final game for A&M, Manziel rallied the Aggies from a 21-point deficit to defeat Duke, highlighted by a 19-yard touchdown pass on a play in which he jumped into one of his own lineman and then scrambled out to his left to find a wide-open receiver.

Wilson showed a similar ability during his final college season at Wisconsin. On scrambles, he led all AQ players with 416 rushing yards and 18 rushes that gained at least 10 yards.

Both players changed the course of games with their ability to extend plays. They each averaged at least nine yards per carry on scrambles and gained a first down on at least 40 percent of such carries. On third-and-long (seven or more yards to go), Wilson and Manziel ranked first and second in most rushing first downs during the past eight seasons.

Third downSpeaking of third down, often that's where an NFL quarterback makes his money. In the past five seasons, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Matt Ryan and Andrew Luck have led the NFL in third-down QBR. Those players had a combined record of 228-96 during that span.

Collegiate performance on third down can be correlated to NFL success. Colin Kaepernick, Cam Newton, Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson all had a third-down Total QBR of 90 or higher in their final collegiate season. Manziel had a 97.0 third-down Total QBR while at Texas A&M, the highest for any qualified Football Bowl Subdivision quarterback in the past 10 seasons (as far back as ESPN has QBR data).

In Wilson's final season at Wisconsin, he led the nation with a 95.5 QBR and 16 touchdowns on third down.

Passing accuracyOne of the most underrated parts of Manziel's game is his accuracy from the pocket. He led all AQ players this season with a 73.5 completion percentage from inside the pocket. He completed at least 65 percent of such passes in every game during his sophomore season except for the Aggies' loss to LSU.

Manziel was not just completing short throws as a result of Texas A&M's spread offense. One out of every four passes he attempted from the pocket traveled at least 15 yards. On such throws, Manziel completed an SEC-high 54.9 percent, more than 15 percentage points higher than the AQ average (39.5 percent).

Just like Manziel, Wilson was outstanding from the pocket during his final FBS season. Wilson led the nation with a 76.3 completion percentage from the pocket and threw only three interceptions in 224 such attempts.

One difference is Manziel had several more interceptions from inside the pocket. With the Aggies' defense ranked last in the SEC in points per game allowed, Manziel took more chances and made more big plays.

Size and measurables• Height: Since 2006, six quarterbacks have measured under 6 feet tall at the NFL combine. Wilson and Manziel were two of them.

But height has not seemed to affect their play. As noted, they were two of the top passers from the pocket, and neither player had more than three passes batted down in his final collegiate season despite playing behind offensive lines that had similar size to that of the average NFL offensive lineman (6-5, 312 pounds).

• Hand size: Both players have hand sizes that rank in the top 70 percent among quarterbacks. Hand size has shown to be more predictive of NFL success than height.

There have been 36 players with a hand size larger than or equal to Manziel's (9.88 inches) since 2008; 31 percent started at least eight NFL games, and four have made the Pro Bowl, including Wilson.

• Speed/quickness: As seen in their scrambling numbers, Manziel and Wilson were two of the most elusive quarterbacks during the past three FBS seasons.

Their results at the combine confirmed that, as prospects, each possessed NFL-level quickness and ability to change direction. There have been 108 quarterbacks since 2008 that have attempted the 20-yard shuttle. Wilson and Manziel ranked in the top five in that test. They were both quicker than the average running back and wide receiver at the combine since 2008.

The similarities between Wilson and Manziel in college are undeniable. They both produced at a high level and led their teams to improbable victories.

Wilson has successfully made the transition to the NFL. If Manziel continues down the same path as Wilson and stays healthy, he too can have a long, successful NFL career.

Rapoport: Johnny Manziel will go in the first 13 picksBy Mike Huguenin

Five teams in the top 10 are legitimate landing spots for Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel. The question about Manziel is "which team actually pulls the trigger and takes him," NFL Media insider Ian Rapoport said on Tuesday afternoon's "NFL Total Access" on NFL Network.

Rapoport named St. Louis (which picks second), Jacksonville (third), Cleveland (fourth), Tampa Bay (seventh) and Minnesota (eighth) as potential landing spots, and said no one he has talked to thinks Manziel goes outside the top 10. Regardless, Rapoport said, Manziel's "basement" - - the lowest he could be selected - - is 13th, when the Rams are scheduled to make their second first-round selection.

Rapoport said UCF's Blake Bortles, Louisville's Teddy Bridgewater and Fresno State's Derek Carr are the other quarterbacks who continue to be named as potential first-rounders. Rapoport said Carr "has more buzz on him than Bridgewater and Bortles," and mentioned Cleveland, Arizona and Oakland as teams that seem most interested. Cleveland has two first-round picks, at Nos. 4 and 26, and Rapoport said Carr could be in play at the 26th pick. Oakland picks fifth, and Rapoport said the Raiders would be interested "if they move back." Arizona selects 20th.

Rapoport also said most teams believe Bortles is a first-rounder, but said he's "difficult to place" in the round.

NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock agreed, saying slotting the quarterbacks after Manziel was indeed tough. Mayock also said there is "more quarterback intrigue than in any draft we've ever done."

NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner said he thinks all the quarterbacks in this draft have issues with footwork and decision-making, but he likes Manziel the best. "His competitiveness is just different," Warner said.

Warner also said Manziel has "a lot of work to do" in throwing from the pocket.

Warner has Bridgewater as his No. 2 quarterback, saying "he's still the best quarterback on tape in this draft." Bortles is third, Carr fourth and LSU's Zach Mettenberger fifth in Warner's rankings. Warner said Carr has "the most arm talent" in the class.

While none of the top quarterbacks truly are NFL-ready, NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes said he thought four or five rookies would be playing early in the season. In those cases, analyst Greg Schiano said, the "general manager, owner and coach all have to be on the same page." Schiano went through that situation in 2013, when second-round pick Mike Glennon took over early in the season for veteran Josh Freeman, who was released a week after he was benched.

Dukes said fans play a role, saying, "The louder the fans get (in calling for a rookie quarterback), the owner starts listening."

Analyst Heath Evans said that can create a bad situation, saying a "disservice" is done to the entire team when a rookie quarterback is rushed into action. He called it "forcing something that isn't ready to happen."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Big Ben unsure if Johnny Manziel can take the poundingBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon isn't the first to question whether Johnny Manziel's six-foot, 200-pound frame can absorb the physical punishment his scrambling style is likely to withstand in the NFL, and now he's not the last, either.

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who knows a thing or two about taking hits -- albeit from the pocket rather than in the open field -- has some of the same concerns. And so does former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter.

"I was in the weight room the other day with Joey Porter, (and he was) asking me what I thought about Manziel," Roethlisberger said on his radio show. "I looked at Joey and said, 'Joey, do you think if you got a good hit on him, that he would be OK? And he said, 'No, not at all.' And that's my question. You have guys like Joey Porter, who's a big guy, guys that are fast like Troy (Polamalu), Ike Taylor coming off the edge, Lawrence Timmons. You'd better be real athletic, get down or be big."

Roethlisberger (6-5, 241 pounds), of course, has the latter quality to handle the punishment. Manziel certainly has the athleticism to escape his share of hits. But it only takes one to put a career on hold. And as Robert Griffin III can attest, sometimes a serious injury doesn't require a hit at all. The difference between an injury-shortened career for a first-round pick and one that flourishes through a second or third NFL contract can have everything to do with how that pick is perceived long-term.

The team that invests in Manziel this week will be banking on his ability to stay upright as much as his ability to deliver victories.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

"I was in the weight room the other day with Joey Porter, (and he was) asking me what I thought about Manziel," Roethlisberger said on his radio show. "I looked at Joey and said, 'Joey, do you think if you got a good hit on him, that he would be OK? And he said, 'No, not at all.'

That's pretty funny.

Rumors of Bucs trying to trade up to grab Manziel. I don't buy it. If they trade up I think it's for Watkins.

Rotoworld:

According to the Houston Chronicle, "word's spreading among media" in New York that the Jaguars will take Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel at No. 3.
Most pundits have the Jags targeting Buffalo OLB Khalil Mack or Clemson WR Sammy Watkins. But when your starting quarterback is Chad Henne, nothing can be ruled out. "Manziel would probably be the one guy you could plug in there sooner rather than later just because his style of play isn't going to change much from Year 1 to Year 2," GM Dave Caldwell said last week. Making Johnny a Jaguar would energize an organization that has been crippled by the Blaine Gabbert pick in 2010.

Related: Jaguars, Chad Henne

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Alber Breer reports that the "perception" around the league is that the Bucs, Rams, Vikings could be in play for Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel.
"Johnny Manziel is still the guy generating most conversation among execs. Perception around the NFL is Bucs, Rams, Vikings could be in play," Breer tweeted. With reports of the Browns having no interest in selecting Manziel at No.4, the Rams could have interest in moving up from their No.13 pick in the first round. The Bucs could make sense at No.7, having a system in place for a young quarterback to succeed, with a solid defense and running game intact. Even if Vikings coach Mike Zimmer has mentioned some of Manziel's red flags in the past, I'm not sure that the Vikings brass wont be tempted if Manziel is on the board. The Vikings do have a solid running game as well, with Adrian Peterson holding down the fort.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

NFL Draft Under the Microscope: Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel

Frank Schwab

Leading up to the NFL draft on May 8-10, Shutdown Corner will examine some of the most interesting prospects in the class, breaking down their strengths and weaknesses.

Johnny Manziel
Quarterback
Texas A&M

5-foot-11-3/4, 207 pounds
2013 stats: 300-of-429 (69.9 percent), 4,114 yards, 37 touchdowns, 13 interceptions, 144 rushing attempts, 759 rushing yards, 9 rushing touchdowns
40-yard dash: 4.68 seconds at pro day (official time at combine)

The good: I like Johnny Football, and think he's going to be an excellent NFL quarterback.

It has to be one or the other, right? You can't ride the fence on Manziel. Either you're Camp Johnny or a Johnny Hater, who thinks the first freshman to win the Heisman Trophy is going to be a colossal NFL flop. No in-between.

Here's why I'm in Camp Johnny: If he was 6-5 he'd be one of the most can't-miss draft prospects in recent years. And Russell Wilson and Drew Brees have shown that quarterbacks of Manziel's size can make it in the NFL, so what's holding him back? Manziel has a fantastic arm, can throw on the move, put up incredible numbers against the NFL's junior varsity known as the SEC, is a great athlete and has a tremendous feel for the game. He's also tremendously competitive and, despite the sideshow around his off-field activities, has shown the desire to get better. What struck me about Manziel was when I watched him put up 516 yards at the Cotton Bowl was he was playing on a different level than everyone else on the field that day. Whatever he wanted to do, he could do. You don't see that very often on the major college or pro level. And while that Oklahoma defense wasn't anything Sooners fans want to remember, it's not like Oklahoma doesn't have top-flight athletes. Manziel just made them all look two steps slow. It was phenomenal.

College success doesn't always translate to the NFL, of course. But there's nothing in his skill set that indicates he can't be an impact player on the next level.

The bad: He's short. That's where this conversation has to start. Manziel measured 5-foot-11-3/4 inches at the combine, and 207 pounds. Michael Vick and Rex Grossman are the only quarterbacks in the modern era to be drafted in the first round at 6-1 or shorter, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Manziel would be the shortest, a record held by Vick at exactly 6-0. There are reasons the NFL prefers tall quarterbacks, and players like Brees, Wilson and Vick are exceptions. There's the concern that Manziel won't be durable enough in the NFL, and that's valid considering his playing style. He'll have to be smarter in the NFL with his running if he wants to survive. There's also the worry if he can transition from relying on his scrambling to operate as a pocket passer, which all NFL quarterbacks have to do if they want to succeed.

The other criticisms of Manziel typically center around the attention he has gotten off the field. He had one incident before his redshirt freshman season in which he got into a fight and giving a fake ID to police. That's not ideal but in the grand scheme of things, it's fairly minor. The rest has basically been about Manziel posting photos of himself seemingly drinking champagne in a club before he was 21 or flashing a stack of cash at a casino, or sitting courtside at basketball games and hanging out with Drake or LeBron James. Is any of that stuff really that bad? It seems to be more of a modern-day mania of the 24/7 news cycle than a character issue. ESPN's in-depth profile of Manziel revealed he saw an alcohol counselor during the 2012 season, and that's something teams have surely asked him about. Aside from an autograph-selling hullabaloo last year that NFL teams don't care about, Manziel hasn't done much off the field to make any headlines since last summer. But, people will point to Bill Parcells' old comment about not wanting a "celebrity quarterback" and make no mistake, Manziel is as much a celebrity as almost anyone already playing in the NFL. He has shown he's willing to work on his game, most notably with quarterback guru George Whitfield and also speed coach Ryan Flaherty before running a great 40-yard dash at the combine, but there will be questions about if he's willing to dedicate himself to being great.

The verdict: Has there been another draft prospect quite like Manziel? The gap of opinions on his NFL future are wider than anyone before him. For every analyst you find who thinks he'll be a star, you'll find another that doesn't think he deserves to be anywhere near the first round. He's obviously turned some off with his act, but there are legitimate reasons he might fail other than the nonsense over him sitting front row of a Heat game. Maybe he is too short to be a franchise quarterback, and his desire to tuck the ball and run won't work in the NFL. Perhaps the spread offense he played in at Texas A&M won't prepare him for what he faces in the pros. But I'd be willing to gamble on him transitioning from one of the best college quarterbacks ever to a very good NFL quarterback. I don't think he should go any later than No. 2 to St. Louis. The same reasons he was great in college are the ones that will make him a very good and exciting pro, health willing.

Rotoworld:

NFL executives tell draft insider Tony Pauline that if Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is selected in the first eight picks on Thursday, it will be by "decree of the owner rather than the scouting department or general manager."
"One insider told me the feeling amongst the 32 general managers is the hope Manziel is gone before they are called to the clock so there’s no discussion or distraction of selecting the signal caller," Pauline wrote. "I’m told nowhere is this more apparent than Tampa Bay where owners are pushing for Manziel but wish of head coach Lovie Smith is defensive tackle Aaron Donald." NFL decision makers with a selection near the top of Thursday's first round prefer to wait until the second wave of QB prospects go off the board at the beginning of Day 2, but the only decision maker that matters, in the end, is the dude writing the checks. Get your popcorn ready.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

:popcorn:

Rotoworld:

Yahoo's Charles Robinson predicts Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "will be a Tampa Bay Buccaneer tomorrow."
Anyone familiar with Robinson's investigative reporting knows he has a clue, and then some. Robinson says he's spent "a lot of time on the Manziel shell game" over the last few months, and believes Johnny Football will be Lovie Smith's new quarterback in Tampa Bay. If the Bucs do land Manziel, they would likely trade Mike Glennon during the draft, probably for a fourth- or fifth-round pick.

Related: Buccaneers

Source: Charles Robinson on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL executives tell draft insider Tony Pauline that if Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is selected in the first eight picks on Thursday, it will be by "decree of the owner rather than the scouting department or general manager."
"One insider told me the feeling amongst the 32 general managers is the hope Manziel is gone before they are called to the clock so there’s no discussion or distraction of selecting the signal caller," Pauline wrote. "I’m told nowhere is this more apparent than Tampa Bay where owners are pushing for Manziel but wish of head coach Lovie Smith is defensive tackle Aaron Donald." NFL decision makers with a selection near the top of Thursday's first round prefer to wait until the second wave of QB prospects go off the board at the beginning of Day 2, but the only decision maker that matters, in the end, is the dude writing the checks. Get your popcorn ready.

Source: TFY Draft Insider

:popcorn:
The Glazers promised Lovie complete control over player personnel when he was hired. Overruling him on the first draft pick he ever makes wouldn't be a good start to his tenure as Head Coach.

who the hell is asking Brady Quinn for his effing opinion?
I can't agree with much that you've typed in here...but I had the exact same reaction to this.

Why does Brady Quinn know a good QB when he sees one?
Being a bad NFL QB doesn't necessarily mean the guy can't be a good evaluator of talent. Hell, it doesn't even mean that the guy doesn't know everything there is to know about how to play QB - it just means he wasn't physically capable or mentally strong enough on the field.

Everyone respects Mike Mayock'e evaluations, but the guy wasn't exactly a Hall of Fame caliber DB.

who the hell is asking Brady Quinn for his effing opinion?
I can't agree with much that you've typed in here...but I had the exact same reaction to this.

Why does Brady Quinn know a good QB when he sees one?
Being a bad NFL QB doesn't necessarily mean the guy can't be a good evaluator of talent. Hell, it doesn't even mean that the guy doesn't know everything there is to know about how to play QB - it just means he wasn't physically capable or mentally strong enough on the field.

Everyone respects Mike Mayock'e evaluations, but the guy wasn't exactly a Hall of Fame caliber DB.
Of course not. But it was just so random. And the article was so definite about it "Brady Quinn sure knows his QBs". There's no proof of that.

Mayock has shown to be a decent-to-good evaluator of talent.

Per Rotoworld

Sources tell the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that Sam Bradford was informed of the Johnny Manziel smokescreen by the Rams before it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread