What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Lions Draft Warroom*** (1 Viewer)

Boss Bailey - Teddy Lehman - Ernie Sims

if the word "IR" doesnt sum up that LB core i dont know what does.

I don't like the Ernie Sims pick. He is too small and not consistent. Guys like AJ Hawk, Bobby Carpenter, and Chad Greenway are all around 6'2"+ and 240-250lbs. Most OLB's in the league are in that size range.

Sims is listed at 5'11" but is probably shorter and only around 230 lbs. Now there are "smaller" LBs like Vilma and Derrick Brooks that are very successful but both are still over 6 feet tall.

I really don't think Sims has the size to be an elite player. I hope I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! There goes Joseph and Lawson is gone. Joseph went earlier than thought, he was good at OU though. This is looking like we will be taking something to help our pass defense, S or CB, maybe a pass rushing DE.

im so excited about having sims. hes one hell of a player and ive watched him play every sat for the past 2 years.
I like it too, having watched him so much do you remember how many full games he sat out? Seemed to me like he played every week. I've never looked at him as being as fragile as Boss. All LB's get banged up and end up on the IR at some point. Boss is fragile, I'm not putting Lehman or Sims in that boat yet.

i watched him play up close, not a reach
Good to hear. Do you remember if he missed a lot of time?Can someone make this the offical Lions thread? Or am I just missing the official one somewhere?
IIRC he sat out one game in his sophomore year against Duke. and yes, rename this the official lions thread plz!

im so excited about having sims. hes one hell of a player and ive watched him play every sat for the past 2 years.
I like it too, having watched him so much do you remember how many full games he sat out? Seemed to me like he played every week. I've never looked at him as being as fragile as Boss. All LB's get banged up and end up on the IR at some point. Boss is fragile, I'm not putting Lehman or Sims in that boat yet.
He never sat out any full games. In the begining of the year, he had a broken ankle from spring, so he might of sat out a quarter or two. He was held fout of practices, because he was too much of a threat to his teamates and himself. This was just for precaution.Its hard for me to remember back to his Sophomore season, but as one of the poster above said...i guess he sat out a game, but what college athlete plays every single game in college. His Sophomore season was quite some time ago too, i wouldnt put much emphaiss on it.

Good to hear. Do you remember if he missed a lot of time?Can someone make this the offical Lions thread? Or am I just missing the official one somewhere?
IIRC he sat out one game in his sophomore year against Duke. and yes, rename this the official lions thread plz!
Just as I thought, this injury bs is not for real. Along with the FSU fans who watched him liking him also, I'm really liking this pick more and more.

Just as I thought, this injury bs is not for real. Along with the FSU fans who watched him liking him also, I'm really liking this pick more and more.
anyone else hoping that we trade up for justice or jimmy williams?

Killer just said on WDFN that the Lions don't really like either of those guys b/c of their character issues. Williams thinks he is "the second coming of Deion" while the Lions think he is a safety.

Im not being bias in my analysis on him either. I posted a good article on page 1 about him. He was coached by LB coach, Kevin Steele, who coached in the NFL, so im sure Ernie was exposed to certain fundamentals & techniques that will help him develope into a better player.

I would love to get Justice and have him play LT(maybe a little down the road) and move Backus to RT. I don't know what we could do to move up though, we are lacking in picks.

Killer just said on WDFN that the Lions don't really like either of those guys b/c of their character issues. Williams thinks he is "the second coming of Deion" while the Lions think he is a safety.
interesting - nice info.

they need a gaurd like Gilles imo. Justice makes sense but if his character is that bad then they should pass.

they have enoughj of those types in Charles Rogers.

do we dislike them so much that we pass on one of them if they fall all the way to our 2nd?

I could go for Mcneil, Giles, youbouty, ko simpson. Anyone else?
If one of the Winstons or McNeil is there, how can they pass?
Something is going on with Justice, and E.Winston has some bad knees. McNeil reminds me of A.Gibson as far as being ginormous, that scares me. I know we need some line help, but we can still address that position later. Our defensive backfield still worries me, we have dre bly and who else. Plus they are fragile. if Justice is there though, your right, you gotta take the risk I think.

Calhoun.

Strengths:

Has solid speed and good quickness...Patient and allows his blocks to develop...Shifty and elusive runner with quick feet who can make people miss...Has great hands and can catch the ball out of the backfield...Tough and plays much bigger than he is...Can run inside...Was very productive as a junior.

Weaknesses:

Does not have the ideal size you look for...Takes a beating due to his running style and slight frame...Is not a great blocker and needs to work on and improve his technique...Will he have the speed to get outside against pros?...Only carried the load for two seasons in college...Might not be a every down back in the pros.

Notes:

Transfer from Colorado...Only played one season at Wisconsin but was outstanding, rushing for 1,636 yards and 22 touchdowns...Also competed for the Badgers in track and was part of 2005 Big Ten champion 4x100-meter relay team...Versatile but might have to be more of a 3rd down or situational player.

:excited: Brian Calhoun RB Wisconsin

I didn't see that one coming. Nice pick.
I like the pick. Calhoun should be able to work himself into the rotation as a third down back and spend his first year bulking up and learning how to run his routes. The Lions become another RBBC team (Jones, Bryson, Calhoun?) and improve as a team while thwarting the best interests of fantasy owners everywhere.

:rolleyes:

Okay, I don't like the pick.

Calhoun was a great pick. Certainly a need with only KJ and Bryson at the RB spot. None of the OL players available would have helped this team at all.

:sarcasm:

Calhoun was a great pick. Certainly a need with only KJ and Bryson at the RB spot. None of the OL players available would have helped this team at all.

:sarcasm:
Funny, I agree with your comments even though they were meant to be sarcastic.We did need another RB. We have one injury-prone and inconsistent starter and a utility back. Absolutely we needed another guy and to get a burner in there was great. No doubt Martz will make good use of him.

As for OL... we signed a lot of OL depth in free agency. We have bodies. It would have been nice to get an impact player in an early round, but we needed defensive playmakers too and there was better value there. Really I don't see a 3rd round guy that would make a big impact on our OL.

BPA. That was Calhoun. I like it.

So does anyone have a grade for the Lions yet. Sounds like Sims is solid but has some risk associated with him and sounds like bullocks is a good pick as well and both fill needs. The one I'm not sure about is Calhoun. Sounds like maybe he was the BPA here but the Lions seem to have greater needs. Maybe they see some talent slipping to their next pick. You knew they had to draft some offense sooner or later. I still worry about their offensive line this season, however one poster said they addressed some of that with FA. (Does anyone have a link to these moves. I don't remember the Lions making a lot of offseason moves for OL. The only thing I can think is the new coaching staff believes the OL underperformed last year.) Overall I would give them a "B" so far (but I'm an easy grader and I love my Lions despite the pain they cause me each and every year).

Users who are viewing this thread