What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Lost Season 6 *** (2 Viewers)

I've come to terms by separating the ride from the ending. 
When they started warping the island, the show had jumped the shark, but somehow I thought the producers had it going to a really cool place.   I was wrong, it just got more stupid as time passed.

I admit that it was a very cool show in the first two seasons, it had you thinking, it had you looking forward to next week, talking about the show on message boards, theorizing about where it could go.

And then...  well... I think some fan fiction could have scripted a better closing arc.

Did you enjoy it along the way? Stop regretting it. Yeah, they crashed and burned at the end. It was still a great show. Seinfeld had a dumb and unfunny ending.  Doesn't mean it wasn't great comedy.
Seinfeld wasn't a complete story building up to an ending.   That's not remotely fair.

The comedy show with basically stand alone episodes with mild character development that's been in re-runs for decades now was a success.

Lost re-runs lasted almost no amount of time, didn't spawn any spin-offs like Seinfeld did with Curb, it's over because it was dumb

shader said:
It was an awesome show with amazing characters.  Also it's better on the 2nd viewing.
I thought the 5th and 6th seasons were ridiculous when I originally watched back in the day..... But it looks alot better on second viewing. :yes:

Dentist said:
Seinfeld wasn't a complete story building up to an ending.   That's not remotely fair.

The comedy show with basically stand alone episodes with mild character development that's been in re-runs for decades now was a success.

Lost re-runs lasted almost no amount of time, didn't spawn any spin-offs like Seinfeld did with Curb, it's over because it was dumb
Has there ever been a show with a long continuous story arc that did well in syndication? 

I thought the 5th and 6th seasons were ridiculous when I originally watched back in the day..... But it looks alot better on second viewing. :yes:
That was a difficult show to watch live.

It was a great show to watch in a short period of time. 

On first viewing I found myself frustrated by the show as I wanted answers and resolutions and waiting a week was always tough. 

2nd time around I sat back enjoyed the show and would find that I'd watched 4-5 episodes and not even noticed it. LOVED it.

I look forward to watching it again w my kids in a few years.

I think said it somewhere earlier in the thread but...

If you were interested in the mechanism of the island - why it exists, how it works, etc. then I think you came away disappointed. And understandably so.

If you looked at the island as a giant, six season MacGuffin that only provided motivation for the characters to do things, then you probably appreciated the ending more.

I fell into the second camp so I came away satisfied.
I was in the first camp. I really lost interest by season 5 but kept going as I invested so much time. Season 1-3 I was loving this show....then I smelled a rat. I was right for my taste.

But it had a lot of great elements. But on a whole.....it was a huge let down.

I've come to terms by separating the ride from the ending. 
That is nicely put.

Although I liked the ending, I had given up on the writers ever really answering anything and had realized that they were full of crap when they said they had it all mapped out... Now season 3 and 5 on the other hand, just awful. At least 3 had a great finale that rescued that season, 5 was just plain bad and jumped all over the place (literally!)

what was the deal with walt
just another story line they ####ed us on.

i got so sick of his dad yelling "WAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  all the time that at some point I hoped they would both get eaten, but nope.. couldn't even get that

just another story line they ####ed us on.

i got so sick of his dad yelling "WAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"  all the time that at some point I hoped they would both get eaten, but nope.. couldn't even get that
He was CCCAAARRRLLLL before CCCAAARRRLLLL was cool.

I think said it somewhere earlier in the thread but...

If you were interested in the mechanism of the island - why it exists, how it works, etc. then I think you came away disappointed. And understandably so.

If you looked at the island as a giant, six season MacGuffin that only provided motivation for the characters to do things, then you probably appreciated the ending more.

I fell into the second camp so I came away satisfied.
The island was hardly a MacGuffin. We aren't talking about Gilligan's Island here - we are talking about a teleporting, time hopping, healing, fountain of youth, purgatory, unstable, infertility inducing, I see dead people, stargate, fantasy island all rolled up into one - and that is just scratching the surface of the weirdness. The island itself was central to the plot throughout the entire show. I am impressed if you can wave off six seasons of WTF with it is just a MacGuffin.

Should've been canceled after season 5. Bomb goes off, fade to white, who knows what happened? Would have been really annoying at the time but, in retrospect, a heckuva lot better than the garbage ending they cobbled together.

The island was hardly a MacGuffin. We aren't talking about Gilligan's Island here - we are talking about a teleporting, time hopping, healing, fountain of youth, purgatory, unstable, infertility inducing, I see dead people, stargate, fantasy island all rolled up into one - and that is just scratching the surface of the weirdness. The island itself was central to the plot throughout the entire show. I am impressed if you can wave off six seasons of WTF with it is just a MacGuffin.
That's pretty much the definition of a MacGuffin. It's whatever it needed to be to put the characters in new situations.

That's pretty much the definition of a MacGuffin. It's whatever it needed to be to put the characters in new situations.
No, a MacGuffin is a motivator sure - but it isn't central and important to every single aspect of a story. LOST was a story just as much about the nature of the island as it was the characters. In most ways, it was more about the island because discussions focused more around the nature/history of the island than the characters themselves. The Ark of the Covenant is a MacGuffin, The One Ring is a MacGuffin, The Death Star is a MacGuffin, The Force could be one, and viewers get far more history and explanation around those than we ever got about the island in LOST and the island was more tightly tied to the narrative than any of the aforementioned examples. 

Those that liked Lost might like Once Upon a Time on ABC, from the same writers but they learned a lot from Lost and make sure to tie up storylines pretty neatly. They still utilize the flashback techniques to weave some good mysteries utilizing Disney's stock of traditional characters like Snow White, Red Riding Hood, Peter Pan, the Wizard of Oz, etc. but put a more adult centered spin on the stories. Story arcs are contained to 1 season or a half season to eliminate the rambling narrative and unanswered questions that plagued Lost. And a ton of Lost actors make appearances.

All the prior seasons are on Netflix.

No, a MacGuffin is a motivator sure - but it isn't central and important to every single aspect of a story. LOST was a story just as much about the nature of the island as it was the characters. In most ways, it was more about the island because discussions focused more around the nature/history of the island than the characters themselves. The Ark of the Covenant is a MacGuffin, The One Ring is a MacGuffin, The Death Star is a MacGuffin, The Force could be one, and viewers get far more history and explanation around those than we ever got about the island in LOST and the island was more tightly tied to the narrative than any of the aforementioned examples. 
Yah. That's one opinion. 

Sure I would have preferred more of the "why" behind the island. But just because I didn't get it doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy what I did get. 

Those that liked Lost might like Once Upon a Time on ABC, from the same writers but they learned a lot from Lost and make sure to tie up storylines pretty neatly. They still utilize the flashback techniques to weave some good mysteries utilizing Disney's stock of traditional characters like Snow White, Red Riding Hood, Peter Pan, the Wizard of Oz, etc. but put a more adult centered spin on the stories. Story arcs are contained to 1 season or a half season to eliminate the rambling narrative and unanswered questions that plagued Lost. And a ton of Lost actors make appearances.

My wife watched this show so I caught a lot of episodes. It was like Lost in at least one way. They had a really cool season 1 mapped out and then didn't know where the heck to go from there after they got renewed. 

But Lost held it all together with good characters and more mysteries. Seasons 2+ of Once Upon A Time are some of the worst television I've ever seen (season 1 is quite good). Even my Disney Princess loving wife gave up on it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife watched this show so I caught a lot of episodes. It was like Lost in at least one way. They had a really cool season 1 mapped out and then didn't know where the heck to go from there after they got renewed. 

But Lost held it all together with good characters and more mysteries. Seasons 2+ of Once Upon A Time are some of the worst television I've ever seen (season 1 is quite good). Even my Disney Princess loving wife gave up on it. 
Even though Wife and I checked out during last year when they made the main character Emma evil we really liked it prior to that. Season 2 was a pretty obvious extension of 1 and since then they've just transitioned every half season to a different major Disney franchise like Wizard of Oz, Peter Pan, Camelot, etc. Anyway not anywhere near worst show ever hyperbole.  :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Watching the first episode.  How could they cast an ugly Snow White?  

Users who are viewing this thread