What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

* Official Marvel's Luke Cage * Season 2 out. Sweet Christmas! (1 Viewer)

Finished it, and it's probably my favorite of the Netflix Marvel series, though like those others it definitely could have cut some material and been better for it. 

I love how these series are so closely tied to the comics. I didn't know much about the comic storyline when I started watching this. 5 episodes in and I started reading about Luke Cage and Cottonmouth and Diamondback and the story in the show is almost exactly from the comics. Pretty cool. Netflix just does these marvel shows right.

I love how these series are so closely tied to the comics. I didn't know much about the comic storyline when I started watching this. 5 episodes in and I started reading about Luke Cage and Cottonmouth and Diamondback and the story in the show is almost exactly from the comics. Pretty cool. Netflix just does these marvel shows right.
I have a feeling that Luke isn't going to end up getting married and having a kid with Jessica Jones, though.

It' not really Netflix though, it's really directly related to Kevin Feige. He is the driving force behind all things Marvel on the screen big or small.

I am... 5 episodes in I think. Definitely enjoying it. So far I probably favor the darkness of Jessica Jones by a little over the sort of "Shaft" feel of Luke Cage. But both are good.

I am... 5 episodes in I think. Definitely enjoying it. So far I probably favor the darkness of Jessica Jones by a little over the sort of "Shaft" feel of Luke Cage. But both are good.
Agreed. Same way thru. Enjoying but my least favorite of the marvel series

shadyridr said:
Agreed. Same way thru. Enjoying but my least favorite of the marvel series
Absolutely loving this but nostalgia plays a big part for me. My 1st comic was ROM Space Knight, the second was Power Man and Iron Fist.

I finished it and enjoyed it. It would come in third for me and I am most definitely nitpicking here, but I just have a hard time with

Councilwomen Stokes being a tough bad ### and someone who needs to be led at the same time. Pick one, didnt like that it was both

Another nitpick but Im not really sure why Willis was so upset in the first place. I can understand it if he has always been that way. But Carl and Willis were friends for a long time. He was slow playing since he was 5. I "get" it, just not sure I get it, if you know what I mean

And when the bodega was being robbed, I was like WTF, is that Method Man in this small little role. Didnt realize he was going to be playing himself. Lolz

Soundtrack was amazing. And like I said, I think both female leads are smoking hot. I would have been more than happy to see more of the Missy-Luke coffee scene 

I never know when we need spoilers or not so Ill just throw them in

I finished it and enjoyed it. It would come in third for me and I am most definitely nitpicking here, but I just have a hard time with

Councilwomen Stokes being a tough bad ### and someone who needs to be led at the same time. Pick one, didnt like that it was both

Another nitpick but Im not really sure why Willis was so upset in the first place. I can understand it if he has always been that way. But Carl and Willis were friends for a long time. He was slow playing since he was 5. I "get" it, just not sure I get it, if you know what I mean

Reveal hidden contents
And when the bodega was being robbed, I was like WTF, is that Method Man in this small little role. Didnt realize he was going to be playing himself. Lolz

Soundtrack was amazing. And like I said, I think both female leads are smoking hot. I would have been more than happy to see more of the Missy-Luke coffee scene 

I never know when we need spoilers or not so Ill just throw them in
Finished it tonight.  Definitely in last for me amongst all the Marvel stuff. It wasn't bad but the last half really went downhill.

Didn't like the episodes focusing on the past of Mariah and Cottonmouth. Especially as they end that sequence with him immediately dying. Seemed like it was pointless then. The rest of the show wasn't any more interesting for having spent 2 episodes on that.

The other thing that dragged it down was the stupidity of Diamondback during the hostage taking stuff, and then the police Inspector too. Ok, so the goal is to frame Luke, but every hostage there is going to tell the cops it wasn't Luke and a bunch of other guys with guns did it. So why would you think that's going to work? And you release some hostages early so they'll know before the situation is even over that Luke isn't responsible. Throw in the complete lack of any plan to actually get out of the building when it's surrounded by cops.

And then the police Inspector, with all of that information at her fingers, keeps pushing at Luke as if he did it. Still needing to bring him in I get, but the writers had her just being an idiot how she was going about it to try to manufacture drama. That whole sequence between her and Diamondback's behavior really brought down the last half of the series for me.

Still a decent enough show, just disappointed they didn't do those parts better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liked it, but overall agree that its my least favorite of the three Marvel Netflix series so far. 

Some things I had issues with/thoughts about:

1. Weak villains compared to the other two shows, period. Kingpin, Kilgrave, and Punisher were all way better, more nuanced, and more believable in their own ways. And played by better actors, though Remy from House of Cards did a good job with what he was given. I think if some of the flashbacks they had done were placed earlier in thh season, the villains may have felt more three dimensional during the important scenes. 

2. Expanding on 1, Diamondback just didn't live up to expectations. They built him up all season long as someone to be terrified of, as if he heads up a bigger organization or something, and it turns out he's just a solo violent nutjob who intimidates and murders his way to the top of the local gang hierarchy? Lame. The actor was really hamming it up a lot as well, but that kind of fit with the tone of the show so it was fine.

3. What was Diamondback's connection with Hammer corps or whatever? It made sense that he had access to the special alien Judas bullets because he was basically a salesman using his own product, and taking a cut of the sales. But the custom-made suit? Who was his connection, how did it happen? How did he go from prison to being what he became? I'd say it will be explained in season 2, and I'm sure some of it will, but why will his Hammer connections be important by then when he'll probably have actual powers of his own (being experimented on by the doctor that made Cage, and sharing DNA with Cage who was a unique success).

Would have loved if they ended the season with Rosario Dawson walking up and knocking on Murdock's door, implying that Cage is his next client and that's how they meet. 

Anyone else think they tie Dawson into Iron Fist via that self defense class poster she was looking at to end this season? She's the connection between all the heroes so far, basically, so you'd think she has to pop up in Iron Fist as well, and have a hand in bringing the Defenders together.

Cool non-action moment: the Method Man radio interview and the wave of bullet-riddled hoodies popping up everywhere in a show of solidarity/support for Cage among the people. They nailed that.

Anyone else catch that JJ's best friend's radio show was on in the background at some point? Pretty cool.

I noticed In the "Luke Cage" show, black people talk the way white people think black people talk
It will make you feel better to know that there were some black writers credited for all the episodes, I guess. They were clearly going for kind of an over-the-top Shaft feel.

But the custom-made suit? Who was his connection, how did it happen?
I was wondering about this too...  I'm not entirely sure, but when Daredevil was getting his suit made, didn't the maker of that suit mention how he was also putting something else together for someone??? I keep meaning to go back and look to verify, but I'm thinking it was for Diamondback.  

I was wondering about this too...  I'm not entirely sure, but when Daredevil was getting his suit made, didn't the maker of that suit mention how he was also putting something else together for someone??? I keep meaning to go back and look to verify, but I'm thinking it was for Diamondback.  
Diamondback said the suit was Hammer Tech though.

Just not digging this show anywhere near as much as DD or JJ.  Luke just seems way too powerful and he's freaking bullet proof. 

I dunno what you guys are watching, I liked this one the best.  Maybe I just dug the vibe it had.
I'm in the same boat.  Really liked this one and felt it moved along at a good pace.  It's up there with DD S1 for me.  Fun ride and well done.

LC

DDS1

DDS2

JJ

Wasn't a big fan of JJ.  While I thought Kilgrave was a great villian, I felt that whole series drug on way too much.  Hoping JJ S2 has an uptick and we see Hellcat, Luke, Danny, Kristen/Misty or something to pick it up.  

Really looking forward to IF and The Defenders.  Marvel/Netflix has been doing a really good job with these shows.

I'm in the same boat.  Really liked this one and felt it moved along at a good pace.  It's up there with DD S1 for me.  Fun ride and well done.

LC

DDS1

DDS2

JJ

Wasn't a big fan of JJ.  While I thought Kilgrave was a great villian, I felt that whole series drug on way too much.  Hoping JJ S2 has an uptick and we see Hellcat, Luke, Danny, Kristen/Misty or something to pick it up.  

Really looking forward to IF and The Defenders.  Marvel/Netflix has been doing a really good job with these shows.
The difference to me is that JJ is powerful but not invulnerable.  LC is practically superman-light.  Plus Kilgrave was awesome. 

LC

DDS1

DDS2

JJ

Don't forget about Punisher!

LC and JJ were about the same for me.  Middle eps were more enjoyable then the first 3 and last couple.  Both shows are behind DD 1 and 2 for me.

The s2 trailer does look good though and maybe it will pick up the pacing a bit.  Working on JJ 2 for now and looking forward to this.

Good or bad, if its marvel its for me...

Not sure which I have a harder time understanding, the Jamaicans in Luke Cage or Brad Pitt in Snatch. 

Just drags beyond boring, not enough fight scenes.  Good thing for c.c. otherwise would be hard to understand some of the characters.

I actually liked Season Two quite a bit. The Jamaicans were awesome (with CC assist) and I really enjoyed the Stokes - Mciver backstory. The story arc for Luke was also pretty interesting in the final act. Low point was the Iron Fist cameo. The guy just has a knack for sucking and making everything around him suck. Also got tired of the Shades - Mariah sexual tension in seemingly every episode.  Giving Luke Cage Season Two a solid B.

Reg Cathey was great.  The in memorium at the end caught me off guard. 

I thought S2 was better that S1.  I liked Shades better outside the Mariah relationship.  Will be interested in season 3 direction

oh, and I liked the iron fist cameo :bag:

Reg Cathey was great.  The in memorium at the end caught me off guard. 

I thought S2 was better that S1.  I liked Shades better outside the Mariah relationship.  Will be interested in season 3 direction

oh, and I liked the iron fist cameo :bag:
The ONLY thing I liked about the Iron Fist cameo was that he wore a Sweet Xmas hoodie. 

Did not like season 2, although it still ranks above Iron Fist. The writing, pacing, and in a lot of cases the acting were just terrible. The highlight of the season was Bushmaster hands down. I was pulling for him. 

Rankings:

DD1, DD2, JJ1

LC1, Punisher, JJ2

Defenders

LC2, IF

I actually liked Season Two quite a bit. The Jamaicans were awesome (with CC assist) and I really enjoyed the Stokes - Mciver backstory. The story arc for Luke was also pretty interesting in the final act. Low point was the Iron Fist cameo. The guy just has a knack for sucking and making everything around him suck. Also got tired of the Shades - Mariah sexual tension in seemingly every episode.  Giving Luke Cage Season Two a solid B.
Agreed.  I was a little confused on the closing scene (the whole Luke and the club angle), as they seemed to unclearly (to me) misdirect a bit.  But overall, liked Season 2 a lot. Better than Season 1 for sure. 

Agreed.  I was a little confused on the closing scene (the whole Luke and the club angle), as they seemed to unclearly (to me) misdirect a bit.  But overall, liked Season 2 a lot. Better than Season 1 for sure. 

I think it is intended to be a bit ambiguous. Essentially, Luke decides that the best way for him to effect change is to become a kingpin of sorts. In doing so, he ends up assuming the role that Mariah predicted he would assume. And his turn, while motivated by good intentions, was not without controversy, as his greatest fan (D.W.) broke ties with him over the move.

Finally finished s2.  It picked up a little through the middle and I did enjoy the ending.  Solid season but not great.  On par with S1.

I liked Bushmaster, the IF cameo, Mariah's daughter.  Glad they referenced the Defenders and kept it tied in (Felt like JJ s2 didnt do that as well, if at all).

Hated the Shades-Mariah "relationship".  It didn't work and I am not sure it was needed.  Outside of that I did like Shades' character.

I thought the ending was good enough to bring me back for s3.  

Now on to Iron Fist 2 (which seems to be getting good reports) and DD 3 next month!

Users who are viewing this thread