What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL NEW *** Sous Vide/Immersion circulator thread. (1 Viewer)

Wingnut

Footballguy
Old thread disappeared, so let's start all over here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried searching and nothing came up. Did it get deleted?
I typed in "Footballguys, Sous Vide" and the link I linked to from Google said "Error. We can no longer view the item you are trying to view." 

I'm not sure what or why and can't speculate, that's just how GregR told us to do it in the FAQs so I did. It might be considered a redundant thread with the Instant Pot cooker thread going on. 

I have no idea. Best of luck.  

Yeah I did that too, as well as specific searches with my username with words I've used in that thread. Just a forum search for "joule" or "anova" should bring up several posts in that thread but nothing comes up. Weird.

It was like an 8 page thread with tons of great info. WTF.

bummer - was a really informative thread for me. 

I get this error message: 

Sorry, there is a problem

We could not locate the item you are trying to view.

Error code: 2F173/1

That is a bummer if that other thread got axed. I got an Anova Nano for my b-day (last month) and had been following that thread for ideas. Actually, it was that thread that got me to talking about it which was the catalyst to my wife buying me one.

FWIW, I took it on its maiden voyage last night. Did steaks (filet) and they turned out good. For this first time, I put them in the bags with no seasoning. Added seasoning just before pan searing before serving. Challenge for me with steak is always I like mine more rare than my wife and kids. I am thinking I will use this more often for chicken and pork but I do like how the steak turned out for the first crack at it.

That is a bummer if that other thread got axed. I got an Anova Nano for my b-day (last month) and had been following that thread for ideas. Actually, it was that thread that got me to talking about it which was the catalyst to my wife buying me one.

FWIW, I took it on its maiden voyage last night. Did steaks (filet) and they turned out good. For this first time, I put them in the bags with no seasoning. Added seasoning just before pan searing before serving. Challenge for me with steak is always I like mine more rare than my wife and kids. I am thinking I will use this more often for chicken and pork but I do like how the steak turned out for the first crack at it.
Sous vide it to your level of doneness and just sear theirs off for longer or throw theirs in the oven for a few minutes after pulling your steak out of the pan.

meh, get another sous vide - sounds extravagant, but not that much - and worth it to keep sous viding steaks.  Plus you can do other side dishes if you aren't doing 2 temps of steaks.  

Picked up a couple of spinach and feta stuff chicken breasts the other night and sous vided them up. Seared them in cast iron afterwards and they turned out fantastic.

It was a bit tricky as the feta wanted to ooze out so I had to be real careful when pulling them out of the bags and when I flipped them in the pan but I managed to keep most of it in the folds of the chicken.

Sous vide it to your level of doneness and just sear theirs off for longer or throw theirs in the oven for a few minutes after pulling your steak out of the pan.
Yep. That is what I did last night. I just wish we all liked it the same so I didn't have to mess around as much but (at this point) I don't think I am going to change her mind. The kids I might be able to. TBD... 

meh, get another sous vide - sounds extravagant, but not that much - and worth it to keep sous viding steaks.  Plus you can do other side dishes if you aren't doing 2 temps of steaks.  
It really is a good solution. I have two Joules and often use them both.

I also have my old Anova (this one) that I would be willing to sell at a solid FBG discount. Let me know if you're interested.

Yep. That is what I did last night. I just wish we all liked it the same so I didn't have to mess around as much but (at this point) I don't think I am going to change her mind. The kids I might be able to. TBD... 
I did NY strips for the family 2 nights ago.  Came out a perfect medium rare.  When I met my wife she ate her steaks like the rest of her family.....well done.  I've converted her.  My two kids, however, are a mess.  They just sat there squeezing the juice out of the slices of steak and complaining that "the blood is disgusting".  I told them I would cook that out, so threw it in the pan and cooked them more...... then they complained it was too chewy.

I used to have kids that would eat anything and after three years in public school anything that isn't junk food is now disgusting.

I tried reporting this thread with the following comment. Hopefully we'll get a mod to respond. 

Can we get a mod to comment in here about the old thread?  I find it hard to believe an entire thread got purged that was about cooking. 

whiskey7 said:

I often sous vide steaks for large groups. The secret here is to cook them sequentially in descending order of temperature. As an example, cook the wife's for 2 hours at 130, then drop the temp with an icepack and cook yours for 2 hoours at 125.  Leave hers in the bath.

I often sous vide steaks for large groups. The secret here is to cook them sequentially in descending order of temperature. As an example, cook the wife's for 2 hours at 130, then drop the temp with an icepack and cook yours for 2 hoours at 125.  Leave hers in the bath.
Great advice. 

Thanks! Will try that next time.

Cant remember who started it. I tried searching the Grilling/Smoking thread on the chance there was a link/reference in there (as I saw Rud had asked for a link in the archive thread) but I came up empty. The sous vide thread is referenced in that one but no link. At least, not that I saw.

I think he’s fine.
I dunno, bro. I remember him having brain surgery. I don't know why he'd be hiding threads; just concerned for him is all. It is his business to pack it away if that's what this is, for sure. Just want to be sure all is cool with him.   

This was likely covered in the other thread but I cant recall...is there a container out there that you guys really like for sv? Anybody built their own?  

This was likely covered in the other thread but I cant recall...is there a container out there that you guys really like for sv? Anybody built their own?  

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Can-Stacker-Portable-Cooler/product-reviews/B002BMCLMU

Be sure to hinge the lid. Works great and I rarely ever have to add water due to evaporation.  I keep it in my shop on the counter and sous vide out there.
I did the same thing but with a different cooler.  I just notched the lid so it would fit down around my Annova unit.  It works great.  I can do up to 6 tri-tips at a time and don't lose any water over the 30 hrs I cook them.  Always turns out great. 

Bummer to lose the other thread.

Anyway, just to start adding content.  Picked up some English Roast over the weekend - think I paid $2/lb.  I have cooked some roasts as roasts and they turned out great.  But I wanted steak, not roast (roast = spicing with onions, so stayed away from that this time).  So this time I slabbed it into 1.5" thick slabs (recommended thickness for steaks from Kenji).  Spiced liberally with salt, pepper, sage, and rosemary.  Put them in at 130F for 24 hours.   These were pretty incredible pieces of meat.  Kids thought they were steaks ("but, dad, these are weird shaped steaks!").  Big success.  Next time I'm getting something a bit thicker to slab, but for a first try I turned out superb pieces of meat.

Yes, I'm cheap.  And yes, I like good steak.  And, yes, it seems I can have both.  

Next up - St. Louis ribs.  

https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-24-Can-Stacker-Portable-Cooler/product-reviews/B002BMCLMU

Be sure to hinge the lid. Works great and I rarely ever have to add water due to evaporation.  I keep it in my shop on the counter and sous vide out there.
I bought this with the $5 large lid.  Made a cutout for the machine in the lid.  12qt is the perfect depth for the process and more than enough to put a lot of food in.  I've done a 48 hour cook and didn't lose any water by my eye.

I bought this with the $5 large lid.  Made a cutout for the machine in the lid.  12qt is the perfect depth for the process and more than enough to put a lot of food in.  I've done a 48 hour cook and didn't lose any water by my eye.
I bought this lid that was made for sous vide.  It has worked great.

Did Lobster tails.

130 degrees. 20 minutes. Just tail, couple sprigs of parsley, and large pad of butter. 2 tails per Ziploc. No sear at the end of anything.

FANTASTIC results. 

I love my joule

@Joe Bryant @FBG Moderator @Aaron Rudnicki

Any word on where the old thread is?
Unfortunately, it was deleted as we were cleaning up some things. I'm bummed too as there was excellent stuff there. I checked with Keith and he said it's 100% gone for sure and not retrievable. Our mistake. I'm sorry. Let's try to rebuild here with you guys contributing good stuff like you do.

I bought a sous vide a while back and have yet to unbox it so I'm interested for sure. 

Unfortunately, it was deleted as we were cleaning up some things. I'm bummed too as there was excellent stuff there. I checked with Keith and he said it's 100% gone for sure and not retrievable. Our mistake. I'm sorry. Let's try to rebuild here with you guys contributing good stuff like you do.

I bought a sous vide a while back and have yet to unbox it so I'm interested for sure. 
As penance you can sous vide a BBQ brisket and report back.  :P

I've been wanting to see how that compares to a smoked one (don't have a smoker).

This weekend:  St. Louis ribs.  Removed the skin off the back, slabbed into two pieces to get into ziplocs.  Made my own rub, which was good but probably should have added a bit more cayenne and also added a bit of liquid smoke.  But, that's a niggle.  Put it in at 140F for 36 hours or so.  Finished on the grill, medium heat, with a couple sauce applications.  Biggest issue - ribs wanted to fall off the bones, so it was hard to grab the slab as it wanted to come apart.  Turned out great - super tender and incredibly juicy (the opposite of dry).  

I was in a hurry, so took the juice leftovers, added butter, and heated it down a bit (it was a lot of juice).  Great gravy that went well on rice.  

This weekend:  St. Louis ribs.  Removed the skin off the back, slabbed into two pieces to get into ziplocs.  Made my own rub, which was good but probably should have added a bit more cayenne and also added a bit of liquid smoke.  But, that's a niggle.  Put it in at 140F for 36 hours or so.  Finished on the grill, medium heat, with a couple sauce applications.  Biggest issue - ribs wanted to fall off the bones, so it was hard to grab the slab as it wanted to come apart.  Turned out great - super tender and incredibly juicy (the opposite of dry).  

I was in a hurry, so took the juice leftovers, added butter, and heated it down a bit (it was a lot of juice).  Great gravy that went well on rice.  
The juices left over are awesome for making gravy or au jus for anything you sous vide...

Users who are viewing this thread