What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official NHL 2023-24 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Penguins trading for Erik Karlsson might be the worst in franchise history. He single handedly probably kept them out of the playoffs with his pathetic performance tonight. He's been awful all year but saved his worst for the biggest game of the year.
I.thought they won?

Anyway, reverse jinxes never work.

Caps just have to beat the Flyers tomorrow night now for the last wild card spot. Not what I expected after they were sellers at the trade deadline.

LFGR!!!!!!

McDavid 4th player to reach 100 assists last night. Certainly appears there could well be a 5th later this week, unless Kucherov is rested in a meaningless game (I'd rest him). What incredible years these two have had, and Panarin has also been MVP caliber, but McKinnon still going to win the Hart. Oh, did I forget to mention that turd burglar from Toronto?

Quinn Hughes has been incredible this year, but I'd still give the Norris to Makar.

Hellebuyck is pretty much lock city for the Vezina, but if they gave the awards for half years, Shesterkin has been the nuts of late. Hopefully this bodes well for the playoffs because I'm not getting any younger and I really would love to see the Rangers win it all more than just about anything in the world.

I think the Canes are the best all around team in the NHL tbh, but sometimes goalies are all the difference in the world in the playoffs so I'd rate them third choice to win it all behind the Avs and Rangers. I mentioned it earlier but there are a few all timers for first round playoff series (imho). Avs/Jets, Leafs/Panthers, Bruins/Bolts....maybe Oilers/VGK (Kings getting in the way of that one.

Coming down to the final game in the east for the last playoff spot. Isles clinched last night and they are definitely coming in hot. Hopefully they have an epic series with Carolina. Not even sure who I'm "rooting" to face in the first round.

Caps just have to beat the Flyers tomorrow night now for the last wild card spot. Not what I expected after they were sellers at the trade deadline.
Going back-to-back is going to be a tough task. They're 7-5-2 on the second game of B2Bs this season. However, they are 1-5-2 in the last 8.

Going back-to-back is going to be a tough task. They're 7-5-2 on the second game of B2Bs this season. However, they are 1-5-2 in the last 8.
Yeah, it will be. With some of the older players that they got, can use the rest. I imagine the Caps stick with Lindgren in the net. And Philly will be rested as had a couple of days off, and it’s a must win for them too. Hopefully they can keep the adrenaline going and avoid the letdown. Wish they had kept Mantha, as probably would have secured that spot by now.

Yeah, it will be. With some of the older players that they got, can use the rest. I imagine the Caps stick with Lindgren in the net. And Philly will be rested as had a couple of days off, and it’s a must win for them too. Hopefully they can keep the adrenaline going and avoid the letdown. Wish they had kept Mantha, as probably would have secured that spot by now.

A playoff birth would be icing on the cake for this season. I certainly wasn't expecting it - not with how the season started, and certainly not with the trades. To me, the bonus here is playoff experience for the younger guys on the team. Overall, it's a successful season - the goals really in my eyes were to get Ovi some goals, get some of the youth some experience and see growth from them, and of course see how Carberry did. I agree Mantha would've been helpful, but I think he was worth more traded - I don't think anyone expects us to make a deep cup run. I think we accomplished all 3 main goals while still being a competitive hockey team. I don't think we're in a position to really compete until Ovi potentially breaks the record...it is what it is and I'm OK with that.

A playoff birth would be icing on the cake for this season. I certainly wasn't expecting it - not with how the season started, and certainly not with the trades. To me, the bonus here is playoff experience for the younger guys on the team. Overall, it's a successful season - the goals really in my eyes were to get Ovi some goals, get some of the youth some experience and see growth from them, and of course see how Carberry did. I agree Mantha would've been helpful, but I think he was worth more traded - I don't think anyone expects us to make a deep cup run. I think we accomplished all 3 main goals while still being a competitive hockey team. I don't think we're in a position to really compete until Ovi potentially breaks the record...it is what it is and I'm OK with that.
Yeah, my main goal all year was Ovi goals. That will be a great moment when it, hopefully, happens. But, as they started to play better throughout the season and the younger guys contributed more and more, I was looking forward to a playoff round. At this point, a loss tonight will be a gut punch. But, hey, it's April when all Caps fans are used to gut punches. Just to set appropriate expectations for this time of year, I'll predict the Caps blow a 3-0 lead and lose 10 shooters deep into the shootout.

Boston Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards will retire at the end of the season. Definitely time with whatever he has going on medically that they haven't been able to diagnose, and hope they can figure it out so he can enjoy his retirement.

Bye, Jack

I know he's a polarizing dude, but his unabashed enthusiasm for all things Black and Gold will be missed. And for those who think your team's play-by-play guy isn't a homer, get a grip. They all are.

Since Philly has to win in regulation, I assume they’d pull the goalie in a tie game. Would be interesting if Caps win on an ENG when it’s tied.

Boston Bruins play-by-play man Jack Edwards will retire at the end of the season. Definitely time with whatever he has going on medically that they haven't been able to diagnose, and hope they can figure it out so he can enjoy his retirement.

Bye, Jack

I know he's a polarizing dude, but his unabashed enthusiasm for all things Black and Gold will be missed. And for those who think your team's play-by-play guy isn't a homer, get a grip. They all are.
Long time Bs fan, never a huge Jack fan but man, this is very sad to listen to. I’m going to guess this is his last game as main guy. ☹️

Bye, Jack

Long time Bs fan, never a huge Jack fan but man, this is very sad to listen to. I’m going to guess this is his last game as main guy. ☹️
Think they said he'll also do the first round playoff games, and that should be it. Would expect any games in the 2nd round and beyond to be on the TNT/ESPN groups of channels.

Bye, Jack

Think they said he'll also do the first round playoff games, and that should be it. Would expect any games in the 2nd round and beyond to be on the TNT/ESPN groups of channels.
I’m saying after how bad he was tonight plans might change. It’s brutal to listen to, poor guy.

Bye, Jack

I’m saying after how bad he was tonight plans might change. It’s brutal to listen to, poor guy.
Gotcha. I agree. It was tough to listen to him all season. The heart was there, just struggled with the execution. Definitely time.

I thought the disallowed Lewis goal in the Kings/Oilers game was a terrible call. It was inadvertent contact and not purposely directing to the net. I am also not so sure it disn't hit the stick that was in that hand. It wasn't conclusive to me.

I don't think the Kings would have come back to win but the momentum was definitely on their side and the McDavids were on their heels. I also wasn't sure what the penalty on Danault was. They called it high sticking and I could never find any replay that showed a high stick anywhere. There were a couple light penalties on the Kings that really cost them. Gotta stay out of the box to have any chance in this series.

I thought the disallowed Lewis goal in the Kings/Oilers game was a terrible call. It was inadvertent contact and not purposely directing to the net. I am also not so sure it disn't hit the stick that was in that hand. It wasn't conclusive to me.
I would disagree. I think he was making an intentional play on the pick.

Can you be sure it didn't go off the stick that was in his hand?

ETA: I believe the rule (I could be wrong....trying to remember the announcer when he read the rule last night) that the attempt had to be purposeful to direct it to the net. Even if it didn't hit the stick I don't think he was intentionally hitting it to the net.

Can you be sure it didn't go off the stick that was in his hand?

ETA: I believe the rule (I could be wrong....trying to remember the announcer when he read the rule last night) that the attempt had to be purposeful to direct it to the net. Even if it didn't hit the stick I don't think he was intentionally hitting it to the net.
My recollection was that he said he just needed to make a play on it all all - not necessarily that it was directed toward the net.

It looked in the replay to me that it came off the glove. But reasonable people can disagree on that.

It looked in the replay to me that it came off the glove. But reasonable people can disagree on that.
I have no idea what it went off. To me that makes it sufficient to keep it as a good goal because it wasn't conclusive. But hockey might not have that type of verbiage for replay review.

Looking around for more clarification the "batting" of the puck with a hand it seems to be a player cannot "bat or direct with his hand into the net" It seems to me that it would mean trying to like a 'distinct kicking motion" where if it just deflects without the intent to put it towards goal it should be allowed. Again, I have no idea if the rules matchup to the "distinct kicking motion" equivalent or not. It could just be a deflection is not allowed either.

Seems like it should count to me because of the inconclusive evidence of whether or not it hit the stick or hand and that it was a deflection off the hand rather than trying to bat it to the goal.

but as you said, I can see both sides and it is subject to interpretation (which can go either way).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread