What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

== OFFICIAL OAKLAND RAIDERS 2018 thread == (1 Viewer)

We're the Raiders of the Injury Wagon now? 

Bryant isn't the kind of guy who will ever become a starter, but has a 32% sack:games ratio (36 games, four starts, 11.5 sacks in his 4 year career), with a 60% ratio in the very few games he played in with the Lions in 2016. So he could add something to the rush to compete for end of bench depth. But it's a big If.

His downside is plenty of risk -- was a bonehead out of small college (I think he was busted selling weed to a cop), with an NFL stint littered with multiple substance abuse/PED infractions and an inability to stay healthy. I'd rather have better prospects at DE (would have liked to see what Junior Galette had in the tank), but let's see if Bryant makes it through camp.

I liked Golson out of college, and thought the Steelers got a great athletic prospect for their scheme when they drafted him. Was on the small side, but tracked the ball superbly and looked like an aggressive and hard-working, hustling inside corner. Then? I don't think he actually played a game thanks to injury.

He seems to operate naturally out of a zone, and we tend to favor man/press, but I am sure Gruden will have his own approach, and Golson -- if he can stay healthy -- could play a part.

Time will tell.

Not sweating campers. This RB draft is DEEP. Watching Youtubes tonight and really liking this Sony Michel guy. He's a fumbler but I see a similiar player to Al Kamara and Clint Portis. Gruden needs a guy like this to compliment the Beast. Two years of glory. Take this guy rd 2. Steal him rd 3, like Payton did with AK41. Buh bye mighty mights and/or muscle hammy. Who am I kidding. I want defense. Every pick, every round. DT, MLB, CB. Watchin Sony in fanatasy tho. Dude's a baller.

How does Smith compare to Rolando McClain?
Smaller, but quicker.  He also has great instincts and ability to diagnose plays quickly.  McClain was a thumper, Smith can cover and go sideline to sideline.  Oh he's also not an #######.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it isn't fair or has any correlation but every time we talk about these can not miss LB's I think of McClain.
:yes: Lotta players fall in that category--Mandarich, Leaf and Charles Rodgers immediately come to mind--Leaf falling into the butt head category right with McClain.

I have to admit, I thought Lynch would be cut when Gruden was hired. Good to see pictures of him there at team facilities working out with his team mates. That whole sideline dance fiasco seemed to be the beginning of the downward spiral last season. Albeit, its very early, but it looks like Beastmode is going along with Grudens program, which hopefully is a good sign of things to come in 2018.

I think most of us want defensive picks in the early rounds.... but what if (yes, not likely but let's play the game) a guy like McClitchey from ND is available that we can take with our second which is a plug and play at RT and potential heir apparent to old man Penn?

The Oakland Raiders have re-signed the following five exclusive rights free agents, the club announced Monday.

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

Calhoun, Shilique LB

Cowser, James LB/DE

Harris, Erik S

Kirkland, Denver G/T

Tavecchio, Giorgio K

Additionally, the Raiders have waived LS Andrew East.

I think most of us want defensive picks in the early rounds.... but what if (yes, not likely but let's play the game) a guy like McClitchey from ND is available that we can take with our second which is a plug and play at RT and potential heir apparent to old man Penn?
Don't see any way possible he makes it out of the first round and will likely go top 15, but if he was there I'm not sure how you could pass on him.

Don't see any way possible he makes it out of the first round and will likely go top 15, but if he was there I'm not sure how you could pass on him.
Agreed. I haven't done much digging in the rookie class at all and the little I know is about the cream of the cream of prospects. I likely shouldn't have brought him up specifically but rather one of the better tackle prospects as being a possible 2nd rounder choice over a defender.

Agreed. I haven't done much digging in the rookie class at all and the little I know is about the cream of the cream of prospects. I likely shouldn't have brought him up specifically but rather one of the better tackle prospects as being a possible 2nd rounder choice over a defender.
Pat Kirwin mocked Orlando Brown to the Raiders in the second round. Which does make some sense. He had 1st round grades until his draft stock slipped with a horrible showing at the combine. But I've heard quite a few experts swear by his game tape. He's a bit of an enigma. But he does fit Reggie's measureables for Olinemen. If Reggie is even the final say in draft picks anymore. Who knows...

Pat Kirwin mocked Orlando Brown to the Raiders in the second round. Which does make some sense. He had 1st round grades until his draft stock slipped with a horrible showing at the combine. But I've heard quite a few experts swear by his game tape. He's a bit of an enigma. But he does fit Reggie's measureables for Olinemen. If Reggie is even the final say in draft picks anymore. Who knows...
Brown does have a very impressive tape. For his size he looks pretty quick on tape. Very strange that he $hit the bed at the combine. At least it gives me pause to how dedicated he is about football. But if he is a player he would fill a huge need. I do think they take at least one tackle in the draft.

Brown does have a very impressive tape. For his size he looks pretty quick on tape. Very strange that he $hit the bed at the combine. At least it gives me pause to how dedicated he is about football. But if he is a player he would fill a huge need. I do think they take at least one tackle in the draft.
Agree with this, but have a hard time believing that will be Brown. Can't see Gruden wanting to take on a guy who was yelled at by coaches at the combine for slacking. 

If you can't get your head right to prepare and perform during the one day that literally makes or breaks you to the tune of millions of dollars, not sure why you would want to take a risk on him as opposed to a guy like Jamarco Jones, Tyrell Crosby, or Miss State's Martinas Rankin. Tackle seems relatively deep this year, and wouldn't risk a 2nd rounder on Brown regardless of pedigree or perceived potential.

Agree with this, but have a hard time believing that will be Brown. Can't see Gruden wanting to take on a guy who was yelled at by coaches at the combine for slacking. 

If you can't get your head right to prepare and perform during the one day that literally makes or breaks you to the tune of millions of dollars, not sure why you would want to take a risk on him as opposed to a guy like Jamarco Jones, Tyrell Crosby, or Miss State's Martinas Rankin. Tackle seems relatively deep this year, and wouldn't risk a 2nd rounder on Brown regardless of pedigree or perceived potential.
I agree with the take, although I was frothing at the mouth when the lions (and every team) passed on la’el collins. Different situation, but there comes a time in the draft where you have to give him a look. I honestly think he’ll be around a 4th rd pick personally. Maybe he partied the night before and was hung over or something, but his postseason has been about the worst you could have short of getting arrested. Heck, getting arrested may have been preferable, as bad as that sounds. 

While OT is a need, defense is more a need.  And, Brown is risky.  I want defense drafted for the first 3 rounds.  There is need all over the field on that side of the ball. 

While OT is a need, defense is more a need.  And, Brown is risky.  I want defense drafted for the first 3 rounds.  There is need all over the field on that side of the ball. 
I agree. But I'm torn. I initally wanted Roquan Smith in the first but as I learn more about Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick, if one of them should fall in the Raiders lap, how could they pass on them? As bad as they need a play-making LB they really need upgrades in all positions in the secondary.

Then there's Edmunds and Vea. There's so many directions they could go with this pick. And I wouldn't be mad at any of these 5 picks:

Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, James or Vea.

Now if Reggie is left to his own devices (which I highly doubt) and he picks Jiare Alexander, Hughes or another CB they could trade back a few spots to get, I might not be a happy camper. It' going to be an interesting and telling first 2 rounds for the Raiders for sure.

DocHolliday said:
This reply isn't meant to defend Brown but more in context of team needs. I agree that defense is a big need, but so is keeping Carr healthy. One thing I am absolutely certain of, if Carr gets injured this team has no shot to compete.

Penn will 35 yo next season and his last two seasons have ended with an injury. RT looks even more dire. As of today Vadal Alexander is listed as the starter. He graded out in the 51% percentile in pass blocking. The backup, Breno Giacomini graded out even poorer at 35% percentile. A strong argument can be made that tackle is as big of a need as defense. 

This reply isn't meant to defend Brown but more in context of team needs. I agree that defense is a big need, but so is keeping Carr healthy. One thing I am absolutely certain of, if Carr gets injured this team has no shot to compete.

Penn will 35 yo next season and his last two seasons have ended with an injury. RT looks even more dire. As of today Vadal Alexander is listed as the starter. He graded out in the 51% percentile in pass blocking. The backup, Breno Giacomini graded out even poorer at 35% percentile. A strong argument can be made that tackle is as big of a need as defense. 
You're absoutely correct. RT has been a revolving door since Reggie came aboard. Watson could never stay healthy and Howard never lived up to the contract he signed. Then the Alexander/Newhouse experiment failed. At some point they need to solidify that spot. Sharpe is an interesting player. I was never sure if he was drafted to hopefully grow into a solid NFL LT to replace Penn or if they have plans for him to move to RT and would have to beat out Giacomini and Alexander  for the spot. My thinking would be if he can't win the starting job vs Giacomini/ Alexander then he's not NFL caliber. Then there's the forgotten guy, Denver Kirkland. He got injured early on last season, maybe he can compete for RT as well.

You're absoutely correct. RT has been a revolving door since Reggie came aboard. Watson could never stay healthy and Howard never lived up to the contract he signed. Then the Alexander/Newhouse experiment failed. At some point they need to solidify that spot. Sharpe is an interesting player. I was never sure if he was drafted to hopefully grow into a solid NFL LT to replace Penn or if they have plans for him to move to RT and would have to beat out Giacomini for the spot. My thinking would be if he can't win the starting job vs Giacomini he's not NFL caliber. Then there's the forgotten guy, Denver Kirkland. He got injured early on last season, maybe he can compete for RT as well.
Jylan Ware could be in the mix as well at RT. He was drafted in the 7th round last year out of Alabama State. I think he needed a year or so of development but I liked the pick at the time.

Snorkelson said:
I agree with the take, although I was frothing at the mouth when the lions (and every team) passed on la’el collins. Different situation, but there comes a time in the draft where you have to give him a look. I honestly think he’ll be around a 4th rd pick personally. Maybe he partied the night before and was hung over or something, but his postseason has been about the worst you could have short of getting arrested. Heck, getting arrested may have been preferable, as bad as that sounds. 
Absolutely, 100%. At some point in the draft, any player has value. But in the second round, that would be a huge reach and big mistake, IMHO. I could potentially get comfortable with him as a project if he slips to us in the late rounds, though again, too many red flags here for my tastes.

Bruno2 said:
I agree. But I'm torn. I initally wanted Roquan Smith in the first but as I learn more about Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick, if one of them should fall in the Raiders lap, how could they pass on them? As bad as they need a play-making LB they really need upgrades in all positions in the secondary.

Then there's Edmunds and Vea. There's so many directions they could go with this pick. And I wouldn't be mad at any of these 5 picks:

Smith, Edmunds, Fitzpatrick, James or Vea.

Now if Reggie is left to his own devices (which I highly doubt) and he picks Jiare Alexander, Hughes or another CB they could trade back a few spots to get, I might not be a happy camper. It' going to be an interesting and telling first 2 rounds for the Raiders for sure.
Kind of reminds me of the 2014 draft. Back then, we had a very high pick and were likely to have a shot at a great blue-chip prospect regardless. Mack surprisingly (to me, at least) fell to us after the Rams traded up to #2 and selected Greg Robinson (a promising prospect at a coveted position, but seemed a reach then and moreso now after he showed up to camp overweight, was a penalty machine to start the season and was ultimately benched before year end, and is now an unclaimed FA), and the Bills trading up to nab Sammy Watkins. Mack was a literal no-brainer at that point for Reggie.

Similarly this year, we have a high draft pick, with many QB-needy teams with a deep QB class picking before us. If somehow Fitzpatrick slips, would be thrilled to take him here, and similarly would be happy with either Edmunds or Smith. Vea looks to be the real deal, but agree with @DocHolliday that D seems like a bigger need.

I think Penn can eke out one more solid season before age and mileage take their toll, but as long as he stays healthy (a risk, to be sure), he'll be one of the better tackles in the league, and the strength of our left side can help mask lack of depth/true starter material on the right side. I think we can still see maturity from Alexander and Sharpe.

But while I think we can survive the thinness on the O-line, we desperately need help on that D to help keep us in games. 

So, going in to talk about Las Vegas PSL's and season tickets in a couple weeks. Never had NFL season tickets before. Anyone else looking into it? 

So, going in to talk about Las Vegas PSL's and season tickets in a couple weeks. Never had NFL season tickets before. Anyone else looking into it? 
guy on FB thats a rabid Raiders fan and has had season tickets in Oakland forever said the prices are off the charts 

guy on FB thats a rabid Raiders fan and has had season tickets in Oakland forever said the prices are off the charts 
I guess it's a matter of perspective. Oakland Raider tickets have been the cheapest in the league for a number of years. If the PLS's are in line with what they charged in Minnesota I'll be ok with that. If they are closer to Dallas or SF it'll be too much. From what I remember in the focus group last year the numbers they were tossing around were closer to Minn. We'll see if that's changed. 

3 mid-round targets for Raiders in NFL Draft

Will Richardson, OT, North Carolina State

Starting left tackle Donald Penn is 35 years old and right tackle Vadal Alexander is an underwhelming option, leaving the short- and long-term future of the offensive tackle position questionable. While second year swing tackle David Sharpe has some appealing traits, offensive tackle is a position that the Raiders need to invest in and Richardson has a toolbox loaded with traits to develop.

Checking in at 6-foot-5 and 306 pounds and 35 1/4″ arms, Richardson has the ideal frame for the position at the next level. As a run blocker, Richardson has the power in his punch combined with a strong lower half to generate movement when he unlocks his hips as a drive blocker. In pass protection, Richardson has the length, foot speed and ability to frame rushers on an island that make him tough to beat.

With that said, Richardson must improve his hand usage and balance while more consistently using his long arms to his advantage to keep pass rushers at the end of his reach which may push him down the draft board. If Oakland could snatch up Richardson in the middle rounds, he represents a high ceiling prospect at a premium position of need.

D.J. Chark, WR, LSU

In Amari Cooper and Jordy Nelson, the top two options for quarterback Derek Carr are set but the depth of the receiving corps is in need of reinforcements and Chark is an appealing option.

An intriguing blend of size (6-foot-3, 199 pounds) and speed (4.34 40-yard dash), Chark has the ability to stretch the field and get behind the secondary. His straight line speed and vertical ball skills make him a lethal option that is a mismatch for secondaries to cover.  A victim of erratic quarterback play in college that resulted in modest career production, Chark showcased his playmaking potential in the Senior Bowl where he hauled in five passes for 160 yards and a touchdown.

Chark complements his ability as a deep threat with dominant blocking and special teams upside, making him an ideal target in the middle rounds.

There is a learning curve ahead for Chark who ran an extremely limited route tree in college and needs to improve in terms of nuance in his route stems to sell his breaks and developing technique to defeat press coverage. With that said, he is a high upside selection that can become the No. 3 receiver early in his career and eventual successor to Nelson.

Ade Aruna, DE, Tulane

Defensive coordinator Paul Guenther has found success developing long, athletic pass rusher like Michael Johnson and Carlos Dunlap and Aruna offers comparable physical traits that would make him an appealing option for Oakland.

Aruna offers the foundational traits of burst, length and play strength as a pass rusher that can be developed. With that said, he needs work in terms of his hand usage, pass rush variety, vision and footwork. Aruna provides a sturdy, long, stocky build that has the potential to grow into a secure run defender but needs to improve his pad level and add strength to be more consistent.

While Aruna must develop, his traits are appealing and he has the potential to far out-perform where he gets drafted. He would be an ideal investment with one of Oakland’s sixth round picks.

Link

The chances of Roquan Smith falling to the Raiders are diminishing. Ruben Foster's DV charges make it more likely that the 9ers may snag Smith with their pick. 

Mike McGlinchey at 10 would not surprise me after Gil Brandt's comment about him in a MMQB piece recently.With Penn's age and our RT situation, it does make sense, even though I'm hoping to come away with a defensive stud with our first pick.  :ph34r:

Mike McGlinchey at 10 would not surprise me after Gil Brandt's comment about him in a MMQB piece recently.With Penn's age and our RT situation, it does make sense, even though I'm hoping to come away with a defensive stud with our first pick.  :ph34r:
It wouldn't be absolutely terrible, but with the quality defensive players that will be there with probably 4 QBs going before the pick it would surprise me.  I think the pick almost has to be defense.  

Khalil Mack - LB - Raiders

Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area believes Raiders OLB Khalil Mack's new deal could be in the range of $120 million over six years.

That would surpass the current high water mark for defensive players set by Von Miller in 2016. NFL Network's Steve Wyche reported last week that Mack was seeking $65 million guaranteed in extension talks with Oakland. The 2016 Defensive Player of the Year is set to earn $13.86 million in the final year of his rookie deal.

Khalil Mack - LB - Raiders

Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area believes Raiders OLB Khalil Mack's new deal could be in the range of $120 million over six years.

That would surpass the current high water mark for defensive players set by Von Miller in 2016. NFL Network's Steve Wyche reported last week that Mack was seeking $65 million guaranteed in extension talks with Oakland. The 2016 Defensive Player of the Year is set to earn $13.86 million in the final year of his rookie deal.
Hes worth every penny in a benchmark-setting deal. And we seem to be freeing up space in our FA moves to get it done, so here's to getting to a point where he's put his John Hancock on paper and we've locked him up.

The chances of Roquan Smith falling to the Raiders are diminishing. Ruben Foster's DV charges make it more likely that the 9ers may snag Smith with their pick. 
the last couple of mocks I've seen don't have R Smith falling to us at 10.

Dang, I was really getting psyched to have a potential game-changing LB on our team.

Either way, I know we get a top-notch Defensive prospect regardless at 10 with all the QBs going in the top 10.

the last couple of mocks I've seen don't have R Smith falling to us at 10.

Dang, I was really getting psyched to have a potential game-changing LB on our team.

Either way, I know we get a top-notch Defensive prospect regardless at 10 with all the QBs going in the top 10.
A lot of recent mocks I've seen have Fitzpatrick falling to the Raiders. If Smith or Edmunds doesn't make it to 10, I think he's a great pick. They can use a guy like that in the secondary. Let's not forget, they didn't get their first interception last season until week 10 and it wasn't even a DB who got it. 

Seems to me given the needs of the 9 teams before us that we could definitely have a shot at either Smith or Edmunds, but doubt both of them fall to 10. 

A lot of recent mocks I've seen have Fitzpatrick falling to the Raiders. If Smith or Edmunds doesn't make it to 10, I think he's a great pick. They can use a guy like that in the secondary. Let's not forget, they didn't get their first interception last season until week 10 and it wasn't even a DB who got it. 
If Fitzpatrick is there when we pick, I feel like he's the obvious choice for us. Tier 2 would then be Edmunds/Smith/Ward, with Derwin James filling out my Tier 3. I'm not really interested in Vea or McGlinchey at our current spot, but if we traded down a half dozen picks or so to a team that's looking to snap up a quarterback that managed to fall out of the Top 10, those would be the first two guys I'd look at (assuming the five mentioned above are gone at that point).

If Fitzpatrick is there when we pick, I feel like he's the obvious choice for us. Tier 2 would then be Edmunds/Smith/Ward, with Derwin James filling out my Tier 3. I'm not really interested in Vea or McGlinchey at our current spot, but if we traded down a half dozen picks or so to a team that's looking to snap up a quarterback that managed to fall out of the Top 10, those would be the first two guys I'd look at (assuming the five mentioned above are gone at that point).
I'm curious to see if the Cardinals want to trade up to the Raiders spot to get their QB before the Bills, as both Rosen and Jackson may be available. At pick 15 drafting Mike McGlinchey seems a bit more palatable.

Users who are viewing this thread