What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official PLUMBING EMERGENCY!!1! Thread*** BIG UPDATE AT POST 25 (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
Got some major issues at Casa De General.

Sewer line probably needs to be replaced. Talking probably about 80 feet of total pipe. Some may be able to get lined that isn't totally gone. Plumbing guys...ballpark this (I know there is a million factors so probably not even far to ask but why not!).

Bigger question was wondering if anyone has had luck working with home insurance on this and any tips on that.

Have not contacted them yet..this is a developing situation and we are in the first 24 hours here. Dudes at house doing some pretty crazy work already.

Last edited:
$10K if it’s between the house and the curb. $25k If they have to excavate the street

My guess is that’s a negative on insurance chipping in

Disclaimer: not a plumber just going off memory from an estimate a few years back . Was lucky enough to just have the roots hyrdoblasted

$10K if it’s between the house and the curb. $25k If they have to excavate the street

My guess is that’s a negative on insurance chipping in
(y)This seems inline with what we are seeing from the first person we got out here and the one who has started doing the initial work.

Also what I was expecting from insurance. Currently enjoying the pleasure of navigating their customer service line. Kill me

I would also shop around, even with the blasting I think one company wanted $1500 and I ended up getting it for half of that. Look for local companies and avoid the big ones like RotoRooter or whatever

We had to get ours replaced a couple of years ago; it was just under 5K.....but, our water company also has "sewage line" supplemental insuranced. If you needed them to come out and snake the line it was free....just about any time of day/night AND they gave you up to 5K to go towards replacing a sewage line. So we didn't pay anything for the replacement. It was only like 10 buck a month.

That doesn't help you much now, but our water company also has "supplemental in house or under house insurance" and water line insurance as well.

Sewer line probably needs to be replaced. Talking probably about 80 feet of total pipe. Some may be able to get lined that isn't totally gone. Plumbing guys...ballpark this (I know there is a million factors so probably not even far to ask but why not!).

Bigger question was wondering if anyone has had luck working with home insurance on this and any tips on that.

Have not contacted them yet..this is a developing situation and we are in the first 24 hours here. Dudes at house doing some pretty crazy work already.
In my state you would be required to have separate insurance on the pipe that's under your property through the water company - homeowners insurance doesn't cover it - it's worth contacting them to verify of course.

When we first moved in our house 20 years ago I had to rent an auger from Home Depot and unclog the main waste line starting at the basement floor all the way to the street.

It was caused by sewer mice*

Used tampons. Never happened again after I enforced the no flushing them rule

Last edited:
I would also shop around, even with the blasting I think one company wanted $1500 and I ended up getting it for half of that. Look for local companies and avoid the big ones like RotoRooter or whatever
Thanks. Will do this if we get bad news from them.

A new access point was needed to be put in outside to do a hydro jetting to see if the pipes can be cleared and then determining what is wrong (am guessing a section of the pipe failed and cannot be lined but fingers crossed). They needed to do this because the only access point was inside a section of basement inside our house.

This access point they are putting in is under some cement and for that work, the jetting, the snaking, the camera to diagnose, etc is about 7K.

Will post more details as I get them.

When we first in out 20 years ago I had to rent an auger from Home Depot and I clock the main waste line starting at the basement floor all the way to the street.

It was caused by sewer mice*

Used tampons. Never happened again after I enforced the no flushing them rule
I won't be doing this for sure :lol: but good on you mobbin!

The place we got here did an initial snaking but it got stuck about 50 feet in. This is why thinking that pipe failed but they are in the process described upthread to determine whats up.

In my state you would be required to have separate insurance on the pipe that's under your property through the water company - homeowners insurance doesn't cover it - it's worth contacting them to verify of course.
Was looking on reddit and saw something similar mentioned. About 99% sure our county doesn't have that and they are only responsible for the connection on the sewer line out in the street :kicksrock:

Both my neighbors are out of town who I would feel comfortable asking to "take the kids to the pool" at their place....THIS IS TERRIBLE :lol:

Yeah I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’m up to my neck in problems these days so I can both relate and sympathize.

Get some rest straight quotes.

For some perspective - recently somebody I know had ~60 LF of yard excavated up to expose the water main. Was $3,800 (to dig up AND put back.)

That was more tedious than yours because they didn’t want to break anything. If you’re is broken they don’t have to be careful.

Yeah I’m sorry you’re going through this. I’m up to my neck in problems these days so I can both relate and sympathize.

Get some rest straight quotes.

For some perspective - recently somebody I know had ~60 LF of yard excavated up to expose the water main. Was $3,800 (to dig up AND put back.)

That was more tedious than yours because they didn’t want to break anything. If you’re is broken they don’t have to be careful.
Thanks. Yeah is a total PITA and not fun expense.

Man mine is going to be way more than this...Super lame.

A new access point was needed to be put in outside to do a hydro jetting to see if the pipes can be cleared and then determining what is wrong (am guessing a section of the pipe failed and cannot be lined but fingers crossed). They needed to do this because the only access point was inside a section of basement inside our house.

This access point they are putting in is under some cement and for that work, the jetting, the snaking, the camera to diagnose, etc is about 7K.

They are charging you 7K for basically a diagnosis? Can't they just snake a camera through the access in the basement?

They are charging you 7K for basically a diagnosis? Can't they just snake a camera through the access in the basement?
They snaked it / camera from the basement access but it got obstructed like 60 feet in and couldn't be cleared further.

They now are aqua jetting it or whatever from a new spot they had to dig to get to. They did not advise doing that inside our house since if it was completely blocked the 60 feet of water could come back into the house GROSS. They did give the option to do in the house for about 2.5K, but we didn't want to risk that. Additionally, having this outside access will be handy I think in future and is how it should have be done I think in the first place...but house is old as shet.

So, the 7K is to dig into a spot outside the house to place a new access and then use that spot to do the aqua jet from and ultimately see what's going on. I find out in prolly like 30 mins what this place is going to recco. Then have to decide if I want to shop around.

This place is totally legit, but has TV and radio commercials and is probably one of most expensive options I will get - they just were the folks who were first to say they would come.

Guessing they are going to have bad news and then it is up to us to decide how long we want to go without plumbing why we look around.

Last edited:
They snaked it / camera from the basement access but it got obstructed like 60 feet in and couldn't be cleared further.

They now are aqua jetting it or whatever. They did not advise doing that inside our house since if it was completely blocked the 60 feet of water could come back into the house GROSS. They did give the option to do in the house for about 2.5K but we didn't want to risk that, plus having this outside access will be handy I think in future and is how it should have be done I think in first place but house is old as shet.

The 7K is to dig into a spot outside the house to place a new access and then use that spot to do the aqua jet and ultimately see what's going on. I find out in prolly like 30 mins what this place is going to recco. Then have to decide if I want to shop around.

This place is totally legit but has commercials and is probably one of most expensive options I will get - they just were the folks who were first to say they would come.

Guessing they are going to have bad news and then it is up to us to decide how long we want to go without plumbing why we look around.
How far off the house we talking here?

That seems WAY high to basically dig straight down and install a cleanout.

How old is your house. We are required like 1 cleanout per 50 feet or something.

I have 2 outside myself in case of this

Thanks. Already got some. We have plumbers crawling around our house as I type. Besides needing the side yard drain replaced, we have the world's slowest leak. They can't find it, and we need to have it fixed so the water district can install a smart meter.

Ghah. They have already been here for over two hours.

Good luck with your fun issue.

Ok...The big revea
Thanks. Already got some. We have plumbers crawling around our house as I type. Besides needing the side yard drain replaced, we have the world's slowest leak. They can't find it, and we need to have it fixed so the water district can install a smart meter.

Ghah. They have already been here for over two hours.

Good luck with your fun issue.
GL!!!!

BIG UPDATE

The pipe isn't totally busted and they were able to jet all the way to the sewer line in street.

BUT...there are 3 areas that are sort of ****ed. One is in the street which if that fails is disaster zone and crazy expensive.

This place has been great to work with thus far and explained everything well and fairly. They will charge an additional 16.5K to line the entire 80 feet of pipe and then it is good to go for 50 years.

For plumbers...is 16.5k to line 80 feet of pipe absurd? From what I have seen online this doesn't seem to outrageous for my area but don't know.

Will likely look around a bit as we will have water tonight but we are on the clock for sure,

$25k If they have to excavate the street
So only had to excavate about a 5 foot section through some concrete to put in the new access and then will repour that - this and the clearing / checking of the existing pipes was 7.5k and we are on the hook for this with this place.

They gave option to reline the pipe 80ish feet to the street for 16.5k additional charge.

We will be able to shop around a bit now with the good news that relining is possible, but they have been good to work with so far.

So only had to excavate about a 5 foot section through some concrete to put in the new access and then will repour that - this and the clearing / checking of the existing pipes was 7.5k and we are on the hook for this with this place.

They gave option to reline the pipe 80ish feet to the street for 16.5k additional charge.

We will be able to shop around a bit now with the good news that relining is possible, but they have been good to work with so far.

Found my old quote they wanted $6675 to re-line 35ft
That was 2018 so yeah your price at least seems in line from a liner foot perspective

That was 2018 so yeah your price at least seems in line from a liner foot perspective
Thank you. Looking around at generic quotes I’m seeing like 100-200 feet per foot so yeah they don’t seem too crazy.

The cost of not having to pee outside…priceless!

Thank you. Looking around at generic quotes I’m seeing like 100-200 feet per foot so yeah they don’t seem too crazy.

You can probably find someone to do it a little cheaper but unless way out of line I’d go with the people who have already diagnosed the job.

I don’t know but a 24k bill out of the blue really makes me want to keep renting.
Not great for sure. Been here for 15 years, pipes were over 70 years old and this will have plumbing taken care of for rest of this house’s life so not too bad in big picture.

But yeah would be nice to have landlord deal with this portion 😂

You can probably find someone to do it a little cheaper but unless way out of line I’d go with the people who have already diagnosed the job.
Tend to agree. Will take his quote and run it by some people just for peace of mind.

Hoping some FBG plumbers see it and chime in.

BIG UPDATE

The pipe isn't totally busted and they were able to jet all the way to the sewer line in street.

BUT...there are 3 areas that are sort of ****ed. One is in the street which if that fails is disaster zone and crazy expensive.

This place has been great to work with thus far and explained everything well and fairly. They will charge an additional 16.5K to line the entire 80 feet of pipe and then it is good to go for 50 years.

How are you on the hook for that if it is in the street?

BIG UPDATE

Most homeowners are responsible for sewer and water from hookup point to house. Doesn’t matter if there is a street in the way.

BIG UPDATE

In my county we are repsoisible up to the main line which is in the street in this case.

We just got walked through the quote with this company and he showed us the pictures of the three problem spots. The one in the street is just where the pipe is about to connect to the main line.

I have learned a buttload about the basics of this process at least what the dude who I have been working with has been telling me. It all makes sense and he has been great to work with.

Still going to look around just to cover my bases but I will use this company unless some other place that seems very good and is well established comes in significantly cheaper.

I don't see how it is possible though as it is just parts and labor at this point.

They now are aqua jetting it or whatever. They did not advise doing that inside our house since if it was completely blocked the 60 feet of water could come back into the house GROSS. They did give the option to do in the house for about 2.5K but we didn't want to risk that, plus having this outside access will be handy I think in future and is how it should have be done I think in first place but house is old as shet.

The 7K is to dig into a spot outside the house to place a new access and then use that spot to do the aqua jet and ultimately see what's going on. I find out in prolly like 30 mins what this place is going to recco. Then have to decide if I want to shop around.

This place is totally legit but has commercials and is probably one of most expensive options I will get - they just were the folks who were first to say they would come.

How far off the house we talking here?

That seems WAY high to basically dig straight down and install a cleanout.
Missed this earlier...It is pretty much adjacent to the house, they had to cut through concrete and do the work which is done now.

Will come back and refill the hole, repour the concrete, clean up. This new access point will allow whoever to come back and do the relining very easily now.

I have learned a buttload about the basics of this process at least what the dude who I have been working with has been telling me. It all makes sense and he has been great to work with.

Still going to look around just to cover my bases but I will use this company unless some other place that seems very good and is well established comes in significantly cheaper.

I don't see how it is possible though as it is just parts and labor at this point.
Labor rates can vary pretty good honestly. Larger companies with huge marketing budgets and overhead can make a pretty big difference. For example, the hvac company I work for charges $250 an hour.

The big boys in town are charging $375 - $400.

Labor rates can vary pretty good honestly. Larger companies with huge marketing budgets and overhead can make a pretty big difference. For example, the hvac company I work for charges $250 an hour.

The big boys in town are charging $375 - $400.
This makes sense. Wife and I do feel obligated to check around but is a pain to set up, get time on calendar, listen to the spiel etc though.

This place def has marketing budget so could see another decent spot being cheaper.

At this point the work seems pretty straight forward as well.

Last edited:
FWIW: Many years ago, I had a crack in the ceramic drainage line right by our house (the ground had collapsed, and I saw a big, groggy sewer rat by the spot). I got a few rather expensive quotes to dig up and replace some of the line. But then the old handyman friend who lived a couple doors over came by. He told me to dig it out and expose the break, which I did ...a collapsed section on the top of the line. Without hardly a word, he went home and came back with some items. He proceeded to cut a piece of tin to an appropriate size, bend it to roughly match the tile below, set it over the break, mixed up a bag of cement ...and just dumped the big pail of cement over the tin. When it had dried, I just refilled the hole. Not pretty, but who cares when it's buried under a few feet of dirt. And it's not like the sewage/water is going to rise up to the top of the pipe. We just needed to keep more dirt from collapsing down into the hole. So ...just to mention an interesting solution.

Last edited:
FWIW: Many years ago, I had a crack in the ceramic drainage line right by our house (the ground had collapsed, and I saw a big, groggy sewer rat by the spot). I got a few rather expensive quotes to dig up and replace some of the line. But then the old handyman friend who lived a couple doors over came by. He told me to dig it out and expose the break, which I did ...a collapsed section on the top of the line. Without hardly a word, he went home and came back with some items. He proceeded to cut a piece of tin to an appropriate size, bend it to roughly match the tile below, set it over the break, mixed up a bag of cement ...and just dumped the big pail of cement over the tin. When it had dried, I just refilled the whole. Not pretty, but who cares when it's buried under a few feet of dirt. And it's not like the sewage/water is going to rise up to the top of the pipe. We just needed to keep more dirt from collapsing down into the hole. So ...just to mention an interesting solution.
I vote for this option. Sewer lines ain't rocket surgery.

FWIW: Many years ago, I had a crack in the ceramic drainage line right by our house (the ground had collapsed, and I saw a big, groggy sewer rat by the spot). I got a few rather expensive quotes to dig up and replace some of the line. But then the old handyman friend who lived a couple doors over came by. He told me to dig it out and expose the break, which I did ...a collapsed section on the top of the line. Without hardly a word, he went home and came back with some items. He proceeded to cut a piece of tin to an appropriate size, bend it to roughly match the tile below, set it over the break, mixed up a bag of cement ...and just dumped the big pail of cement over the tin. When it had dried, I just refilled the whole. Not pretty, but who cares when it's buried under a few feet of dirt. And it's not like the sewage/water is going to rise up to the top of the pipe. We just needed to keep more dirt from collapsing down into the hole. So ...just to mention an interesting solution.
Man I love this story and outcome but no way I’m doing this. I definitely don’t trust my neighbor Stan and any of his homemade solutions and if in 2 years the toilets back up I’d never hear the end of this 😂😂

Man I love this story and outcome but no way I’m doing this. I definitely don’t trust my neighbor Stan and any of his homemade solutions and if in 2 years the toilets back up I’d never hear the end of this 😂😂
And a funny follow-up: Quite a number of years after that sewer repair, and after neighbor Ron had died, the new young neighbor next to me came by to ask for help with a new fridge where the copper water lines weren’t connecting (male/female plug). I looked it over, then with hardly a word, went home for a tool. I came back with a file, lightly shaved one of the copper lines ..and the connection popped together. My neighbor got wide-eyed and said “how did you know to do that?!” I just smiled and thought - I’ve become Ron, winging my way through a project.

FWIW: Many years ago, I had a crack in the ceramic drainage line right by our house (the ground had collapsed, and I saw a big, groggy sewer rat by the spot). I got a few rather expensive quotes to dig up and replace some of the line. But then the old handyman friend who lived a couple doors over came by. He told me to dig it out and expose the break, which I did ...a collapsed section on the top of the line. Without hardly a word, he went home and came back with some items. He proceeded to cut a piece of tin to an appropriate size, bend it to roughly match the tile below, set it over the break, mixed up a bag of cement ...and just dumped the big pail of cement over the tin. When it had dried, I just refilled the hole. Not pretty, but who cares when it's buried under a few feet of dirt. And it's not like the sewage/water is going to rise up to the top of the pipe. We just needed to keep more dirt from collapsing down into the hole. So ...just to mention an interesting solution.
They definitely dont do sewer repairs like they used too!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread