What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Skiing Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Just had an absolutely perfect day skiing with the family at Sugar Bowl last week. Bluebird day, yet still unseasonably cold for CA which kept the snow conditions nice all day. Usually after 1:00 in April it's like skiing on a Slurpee.

Problem is, my 20+ year old pair of Salomon X-Screams appear to have finally met their fate. I was noticing that one of my skis didn't really feel right after the first run. Thankfully it was on the greenest of green runs (getting my daughter re-aquainted with skiing after 3 years of Covid). When I got to the bottom I noticed that even though my boot was clicked in tight, I could lift the toe up and the binding just felt loose.... I'm going to assume the binding is totally shot as the repair shop said they're so old they refuse to even look at them.

Now I'm on the hunt for some new skis, and since it's the end of the season I figure this is the time to get something. I looked at some used demos that ski shops in town had on "clearance" but they were all in the $500 range and looked more beat up than my old skis. I ended up passing on them. When it comes to what to look for in a ski, I know absolutely nothing so I was hoping some of you avid skiers can confirm what I'm eyeing is a decent choice, or point me in the right direction.

I've been skiing for 35 years now, but I'm firmly an intermediate skier. I only ski 2-3 times per season at most, and usually it's closer to 1-2. My comfort zone is in the blue/black range and I prefer groomers. I'd like to ski more off-piste, but I currently struggle with it. I'm not sure if it's my equipment, lack of skill, or a combination of the two. The reality is that as my kids are now more confident skiers I am able to now have fun skiing with them, so I'll likely just be sticking to the intermediate runs they're skiing until my son progresses closer to my ability level.

I am eyeing these in 170cm, which is the length I skied on at Sugar Bowl based on the rental shops suggestion. My old skis are 180s. My other consideration are these, but the sizing is different so I'd likely go with a 176. Is there anything I'm missing or should be considering?
I would pick an all mountain or carver ski that is 75-85 under foot.

I agree with this but might go a bit wider if you ski out west exclusively - like 80 to 90.
It really depends what @Dickies foresees the next few years. What age are his children, and how long will they continue to ski together?

If the kids are young and enjoy skiing, they’ll probably graduate from groomers in a season or two. And it sounds like he wants to explore new terrain anyway.

Then again, he’s likely in his 50’s, and the skiing habits he’s developed are firmly ingrained.

If it were me, I’d take some lessons, focusing on more advanced terrain. Rent some all-mountain skis with 90+ mm waist for this purpose. Then rent skinnier carving skis for comparison. As others have suggested, short is the new long, so target 160-170 cm lengths.

If he doesn’t have the time to invest in improving his technique, the skis won’t do it for him. In that case, I’d just get carvers. Same goes for the expectation of a week or less, per season, on the slopes.

Regardless, I’d still get a couple lessons (try group first, then private), as even old dogs can learn new tricks.
My kids are 11. My daughter will likely never go beyond groomers. My son is the more athletic/adventurous one, but with all the other sports he does it's difficult to get away for any significant time during ski season. Being honest with myself, as much as I would enjoy skiing more often, I don't see the current dynamic changing any time soon.

I could possibly be selling myself a bit short. My wife's family who all live in Tahoe and are avid skiers all say that I'm a quite good skier, but I don't feel like I'm as good as they tell me I am. Maybe they're just trying to be nice. Reality is that my confidence level just isn't where I'd like it to be when I get into more advanced terrain, but deep down inside I know I can do it. It's hard to explain. I regularly ride advanced features on the mountain bike and I see a lot of similarities between the two sports.

Currently leaning towards pulling the trigger on these skis based on the info/feedback you all have given.

Just had an absolutely perfect day skiing with the family at Sugar Bowl last week. Bluebird day, yet still unseasonably cold for CA which kept the snow conditions nice all day. Usually after 1:00 in April it's like skiing on a Slurpee.

Problem is, my 20+ year old pair of Salomon X-Screams appear to have finally met their fate. I was noticing that one of my skis didn't really feel right after the first run. Thankfully it was on the greenest of green runs (getting my daughter re-aquainted with skiing after 3 years of Covid). When I got to the bottom I noticed that even though my boot was clicked in tight, I could lift the toe up and the binding just felt loose.... I'm going to assume the binding is totally shot as the repair shop said they're so old they refuse to even look at them.

Now I'm on the hunt for some new skis, and since it's the end of the season I figure this is the time to get something. I looked at some used demos that ski shops in town had on "clearance" but they were all in the $500 range and looked more beat up than my old skis. I ended up passing on them. When it comes to what to look for in a ski, I know absolutely nothing so I was hoping some of you avid skiers can confirm what I'm eyeing is a decent choice, or point me in the right direction.

I've been skiing for 35 years now, but I'm firmly an intermediate skier. I only ski 2-3 times per season at most, and usually it's closer to 1-2. My comfort zone is in the blue/black range and I prefer groomers. I'd like to ski more off-piste, but I currently struggle with it. I'm not sure if it's my equipment, lack of skill, or a combination of the two. The reality is that as my kids are now more confident skiers I am able to now have fun skiing with them, so I'll likely just be sticking to the intermediate runs they're skiing until my son progresses closer to my ability level.

I am eyeing these in 170cm, which is the length I skied on at Sugar Bowl based on the rental shops suggestion. My old skis are 180s. My other consideration are these, but the sizing is different so I'd likely go with a 176. Is there anything I'm missing or should be considering?

I agree with this but might go a bit wider if you ski out west exclusively - like 80 to 90.
It really depends what @Dickies foresees the next few years. What age are his children, and how long will they continue to ski together?

If the kids are young and enjoy skiing, they’ll probably graduate from groomers in a season or two. And it sounds like he wants to explore new terrain anyway.

Then again, he’s likely in his 50’s, and the skiing habits he’s developed are firmly ingrained.

If it were me, I’d take some lessons, focusing on more advanced terrain. Rent some all-mountain skis with 90+ mm waist for this purpose. Then rent skinnier carving skis for comparison. As others have suggested, short is the new long, so target 160-170 cm lengths.

If he doesn’t have the time to invest in improving his technique, the skis won’t do it for him. In that case, I’d just get carvers. Same goes for the expectation of a week or less, per season, on the slopes.

Regardless, I’d still get a couple lessons (try group first, then private), as even old dogs can learn new tricks.
My kids are 11. My daughter will likely never go beyond groomers. My son is the more athletic/adventurous one, but with all the other sports he does it's difficult to get away for any significant time during ski season. Being honest with myself, as much as I would enjoy skiing more often, I don't see the current dynamic changing any time soon.

I could possibly be selling myself a bit short. My wife's family who all live in Tahoe and are avid skiers all say that I'm a quite good skier, but I don't feel like I'm as good as they tell me I am. Maybe they're just trying to be nice. Reality is that my confidence level just isn't where I'd like it to be when I get into more advanced terrain, but deep down inside I know I can do it. It's hard to explain. I regularly ride advanced features on the mountain bike and I see a lot of similarities between the two sports.

Currently leaning towards pulling the trigger on these skis based on the info/feedback you all have given.
I’m sure you’ll be happy with those, but the waist seems a little narrow for true all-mountain skiing.

For comparison, my skis are considered all-mountain, with a 109 mm waist. That’s a bit on the wide side, though I was longing for more this season. But I‘m a little more confident/stupid where I ski.

Here is an okay guide to choosing skis, including discussion on typical widths..
To help bring everything full circle, we’ve created our own criteria for ski width selection below. Of course, the specific model you choose matters in the equation, but we feel it’s a good general picture of where things stand in 2022-2023.

Race and GS Skis: 60mm to 70mm
Beginner Skis: 70mm to 80mm
Groomer/East Coast Skis: 80mm to 90mm
Ideal All-Mountain East Coaster: 80mm to 95mm
Heart of the All-Mountain Range: 88mm to 100mm
Ideal All-Mountain Rocky Mountains/West Coaster: 90mm to 105mm
Backcountry Touring: 90mm to 115mm
Powder/Big Mountain Skis: 105mm+

If you only plan on buying one ski and are an intermediate to advanced skier, we think that the true sweet spot for all-mountain use is the 88- to 100-millimeter range. The skis will be nimble enough to carve but wide enough to get some float in the deep stuff. Groomer skiers and East Coasters should look in the 70- to 90-millimeter range, and West Coasters in the 90- to 105-millimeter range. If you’re looking to get off-piste in the deep snow, you can start at 105 and get all the way up to 130 millimeters.

Last edited:

Just to echo what some of the much more knowledgable folks are saying. I'm a blue/black "groomer" skier who moved from the east coast to the west coast. I almost nuked my knees this past week at Mammoth using my older narrow East Coast carvers and finally had to buy some new "West Coast" all-mountain skies. I ended up getting some with 96 width and 172 length (I'm 5'9"). The shop said the brand is pretty superfluous at that type of ski. They are a hell of a lot more stable than my narrower ones and were fantastic.

My 11 year old is much better than me already and goes off with the wife to the toughest stuff, so I end up skiing by myself and just don't want nuked my knees at this point with edges catching on non-perfect groomed runs. There was so much snow up there that even the groomers became loose around lunch.

Those will be fine I had a pair of Rossi 88’s. Fun ski.

I feel like I'm going crazy trying to educate myself on all of this. :loco:

Sounds like I should consider a wider waist than I was thinking, but I'm also hesitant to overdo it. How do these skis look?

I'm 6'0" and the ski shop told me 170 would be a good size, but everything I am reading shows 170 as the absolute shortest I should go. The ski linked here comes in 169cm or 176. Coming from 180 skis I'm leaning towards 176 as it would still be shorter than my old skis, but would allow me to "grow" into them.

Sounds like I should consider a wider waist than I was thinking, but I'm also hesitant to overdo it. How do these skis look?

I'm 6'0" and the ski shop told me 170 would be a good size, but everything I am reading shows 170 as the absolute shortest I should go. The ski linked here comes in 169cm or 176. Coming from 180 skis I'm leaning towards 176 as it would still be shorter than my old skis, but would allow me to "grow" into them.

I just looked up my skis, I am currently on 172 and am 6'1" 175 lbs. Last year I was in much better shape and mostly skied double blacks, including some cat skiing.

This year I have been lazy and am not in as good of shape so i was skiing mostly blues/blacks with the occasional double black.

I have been extremely happy with the length i purchased, and I am not sure what i would choose between 169 or 176.

Edit, my skis have a 98 width and I would not go any skinnier for my type of skiing.

don't over think it. for the skiing that you do, nearly any ski will be fine. i'm on Nordic enforcer 100's it's an awesome ski. ski mostly blacks and double blacks. love going in the trees but also dig ripping groomers. i want a lighter ski for my next pair.

i've heard good things about this ski

don't over think it. for the skiing that you do, nearly any ski will be fine. i'm on Nordic enforcer 100's it's an awesome ski. ski mostly blacks and d
I agree with not overthinking it. All the skis @Dickies has linked will do the job.

As far as length, I’d probably choose 176. IIRC Dickies is involved in one of the weight loss threads, so he’s a bigger guy. A longer ski will be more stable. Moreover, the longer ski will float a little better, when he ventures into the pow.

For comparison, I‘m 5’11” 165lb. My skis are 182 cm, but I’d prefer they were a little shorter - I’ve “grown“ into them, but it’s taken a while.

I got tired of playing the "which skis should I bring today" game so I ditched the specialized skis and picked up a pair of Rossignol Soul 7's a couple years ago and I don't miss having different skis for different days one bit.

Honestly I think a lot of it is a ski marketing thing. As long as you're not buying big heavy pow skis with 140cm waist then all the "all-mountain" skis will be indistinguishable from groomer skis when you're on a groomer, and they'll do 95% as well off piste as the specialized off piste stuff.

The super big powder skis are really only helpful when you have those huge dumps where the snow is up to your chest and how often do you really ski in those conditions? Maybe back when winters were regularly more like this crazy winter but I've been living outside of Salt Lake City for 10 years and this is the first year I ever had a day where I though big extra fat skis would have made a real difference.

I'm 6'0" 215lbs and my skis are 188cm long w/ 106cm waist.

don't over think it. for the skiing that you do, nearly any ski will be fine. i'm on Nordic enforcer 100's it's an awesome ski. ski mostly blacks and d
I agree with not overthinking it. All the skis @Dickies has linked will do the job.

As far as length, I’d probably choose 176. IIRC Dickies is involved in one of the weight loss threads, so he’s a bigger guy. A longer ski will be more stable. Moreover, the longer ski will float a little better, when he ventures into the pow.

For comparison, I‘m 5’11” 165lb. My skis are 182 cm, but I’d prefer they were a little shorter - I’ve “grown“ into them, but it’s taken a while.
I'm 6'0" 220lbs... slowly but surely working my way back down to 180lbs. With the amount of time I've spent on the stationary and mountain bikes this year I thought I'd be further along, but the positive is that after a full day on the slopes with zero breaks my legs still felt fresh.... but my feet were ready to get out of the boots.

OK, since we’re getting advice on buying skis, I‘m looking for a touring set up, for backcountry skiing in Utah.

I‘ve skied a lot of off-piste, ”side” country, and legitimate backcountry a couple times (with my cousin, a climbing ranger, whom I relied upon for avi safety…not ideal, I know). I ski most terrain, but not super aggressively, nor with good form.

Besides formal avalanche training + gear, any suggestions for backcountry gear? Skis, bindings, skins, avi packs, etc.

I'm 6'0" 220lbs... slowly but surely working my way back down to 180lbs. With the amount of time I've spent on the stationary and mountain bikes this year I thought I'd be further along, but the positive is that after a full day on the slopes with zero breaks my legs still felt fresh.... but my feet were ready to get out of the boots.
Sorry, wasn’t trying to give you a hard time.

Agree that cycling is great to prep for skiing, as my biking leg strength/endurance has often bailed me out on the slopes.

Honestly I think a lot of it is a ski marketing thing. As long as you're not buying big heavy pow skis with 140cm waist then all the "all-mountain" skis will be indistinguishable from groomer skis when you're on a groomer, and they'll do 95% as well off piste as the specialized off piste stuff.
Largely agree with this, though I think the difference between 78 and 100+mm underfoot is noticeable.

So, the last three years in Mammoth, in May, 90+ days? 8 TOTAL inches ... in 3 years.

Those late seasons that used to come around and hit the Sierras? No mas.

They have finished with 300 inches or (WAY) less in 8 of their last 11 years. FOR THE SEASON.

From '94/95 until '10/11, they had only ONE season under 300 inches (in 17 years).
After all the agonizing over poor snow totals, how did the season end up for you?

So, the last three years in Mammoth, in May, 90+ days? 8 TOTAL inches ... in 3 years.

They have finished with 300 inches or (WAY) less in 8 of their last 11 years. FOR THE SEASON.

From '94/95 until '10/11, they had only ONE season under 300 inches (in 17 years).
After all the agonizing over poor snow totals, how did the season end up for you?

Insane, with plenty more to go. Mammoth will be open through the end of July. Not so sure I would call it "agonizing". Disappointing prior years might be a better word. And I don't know how you can even begin to argue otherwise. One great year doesn't put Cali in the clear, by any means. What is your point, really, that a two decade drought is over?

Just because I was talking about one resort, specifically, discredits or makes my posts "agonizing" in some way? Cali had a record year that was badly needed. This isn't a right or wrong thing, it's a good thing. Did I make some prediction you'd like to allude to for some reason? If so, let's see it.

Sorry, I can't hit Deer Valley or Japan like you. But the 2nd biggest mountain in the lower 48 has been disappointing, to say the least, for a LONG while now. I found it interesting, and worthy of note in the "skiing" thread.

And was my post not factual? Yes or no? Or did I predict anything??? Your reply -- long awaited, no less -- comes off like a Shark Pool retort about some team or player you were "right" on. All of which I never would've seen coming from you. Show me where I predicted anything, btw, or better yet, that the drought is over. You're great at facts. Dig that up.

Insane, with plenty more to go. Mammoth will be open through the end of July. Not so sure I would call it "agonizing". Disappointing prior years might be a better word. And I don't know how you can even begin to argue otherwise. One great year doesn't put Cali in the clear, by any means. What is your point, really, that a two decade drought is over?

Just because I was talking about one resort, specifically, discredits or makes my posts "agonizing" in some way? Cali had a record year that was badly needed. This isn't a right or wrong thing, it's a good thing. Did I make some prediction you'd like to allude to for some reason? If so, let's see it.

Sorry, I can't hit Deer Valley or Japan like you. But the 2nd biggest mountain in the lower 48 has been disappointing, to say the least, for a LONG while now. I found it interesting, and worthy of note in the "skiing" thread.

And was my post not factual? Yes or no? Or did I predict anything??? Your reply -- long awaited, no less -- comes off like a Shark Pool retort about some team or player you were "right" on. All of which I never would've seen coming from you. Show me where I predicted anything, btw, or better yet, that the drought is over. You're great at facts. Dig that up.
Bad word choice on my part. Just seemed like you were unduly (imo) stressed about the snow season, which I stumbled upon while re-reading the thread.

My point? Weather is pretty unpredictable, and maybe not worth worrying about so much, especially months in advance. But not my place to give that advice, and I probably just reacted to what felt like a lot of negativity. Or harsh reality, depending on one’s perspective.

Anyway, hope you had a great season, and the snow keeps falling.

I'm 5'9" 185 and the shop had me demo the skis in 180s which I found to be entirely too long, so I went with the 172s which I was much more comfortable on.

OK, since we’re getting advice on buying skis, I‘m looking for a touring set up, for backcountry skiing in Utah.

I‘ve skied a lot of off-piste, ”side” country, and legitimate backcountry a couple times (with my cousin, a climbing ranger, whom I relied upon for avi safety…not ideal, I know). I ski most terrain, but not super aggressively, nor with good form.

Besides formal avalanche training + gear, any suggestions for backcountry gear? Skis, bindings, skins, avi packs, etc.
First, take an avalanche course. Going into the backcountry with your cousin is likely safe for you, but not for him if you don't know the basics of avalanche or rescue, as it makes you more likely to start a slide and less likely to dig him out if there is a slide. The big takeaway from a course is to stay off and away from anything steeper than 30 degrees as that is where most deadly slides occur. You can still have a great day skiing lower angle slopes (think comparably to intermediate runs) - I call it My Little Pony skiing. If the avalanche danger is high or your partners want to ski big, gnarly stuff, go to the resort until you know more.

As for gear, you have to balance weight against downhill performance. Fatter, heavier skis are going to generally perform better going downhill, but they can be a slog going up. There are unicorns out there (fat, light, with great downhill performance) like THESE, but they are expensive. Same goes for bindings and boots. If you won't be jumping off stuff or skiing aggressive lines super fast, a minimalist touring binding will do (not a super-minimalist SkiMo binding) although I would get ski brakes as it makes transitions easier (taking off skins and gearing up before going downhill) because the ski stays in place. There are bindings that can be used as a downhill binding at the resorts and then as a backcountry binding with your alpine boots. This saves $ and seems like a perfect balance but the stiffness of the alpine boots and the extra weight of the bindings will make a long uphill pretty miserable. All new gear could run you $2-3 grand, but it should last you at least a decade and you're not paying for lift tickets. If your budget is tight, you can likely find decent used ski/binding/skins set up on Facebook Marketplace, the newspaper classifieds, or even at a shop that does backcountry rentals for $500 - Do your research though to figure out if the ski is right for you. Don't skimp on boots - they can ruing your day very quickly.

Skis - I like to make shorter, quicker turns in powder, so I like a ski with a shorter turning radius. Here is what I currently have and love (light, quick turning, good edge control in spring conditions), but the DPS Pagoda Tours linked above would be my dream ski. Here is my binding, but there are several brands (Dynafit, G3, Black Diamond) that are nearly identical. For boots, after fit, its all about balancing weight and stiffness - a stiffer boot generally offers more turning control going down but is also heavier for climbing. I bought these two years ago and absolutely love them as a lightish boot going up with all the performance I need going down - the walk to ski transition is one lever and takes you from feeling like you have a slipper on to a burly ski boot. Scarpa also makes three levels of boot (Maestrale) with varying weight/stiffness depending upon how you want to balance weight/stiffness.

For skins, these are great, but unless you are good at making precise cuts, I would advise getting them professionally cut to your skis - if you don't do it right, you will regret it. A good pack should have a separate compartment for your shovel (do not get plastic), probe and other tools - Here's my pack, but if you are going to push it and ski steeper, more slide-prone terrain, you should consider this. Personally, I don't like the false sense of security these float bags or avalungs provide - I would rather just stay away from that terrain. Finally, get a good beacon that has three antennas, learn how to use it, and continue to practice with it to keep your skills sharp. Here's a decent deal on a beacon/probe/shovel package.

Be safe, take it slow and conservative, ski with people you trust (group dynamics are a huge factor in avalanche fatalities), and have fun!

When I lived in Breckenridge I owned 5 pairs and took them all with me when I moved back to the bay area. I found that without the ability to look outside and choose my ski, there was no need for all of them... i am down to my old Rossi B3s 186 (great in powder and crud; not wonderful on ice or in moguls), and elan mantis M8 176 for carving.

i would not mind finding a newer pair but do not have the luxury of demoing many skis like i did in the past. stiffness/flexibility/ stability always played into my buying choices.

Bad word choice on my part. Just seemed like you were unduly (imo) stressed about the snow season, which I stumbled upon while re-reading the thread.

My point? Weather is pretty unpredictable, and maybe not worth worrying about so much, especially months in advance. But not my place to give that advice, and I probably just reacted to what felt like a lot of negativity. Or harsh reality, depending on one’s perspective.

I've gone up to the Sierras for most of my life. Winter and summer. It's been deflating to see the disparity, over time. So the last couple of years I went up in the summer, driving through farmland -- that of which provides for a lot more of this country than some may realize -- only to come across a ton of signs like these (on the side of the road: "SEND WATER, PLEASE!!!" or "WE NEED DAMS NOW!!!" or "F U NEWSOM" and a litany of others alluding to a growing desperate situation.

Just a sad state of affairs, all in all, to see and realize a growing problem. I'm sure you've seen the lakes and reservoirs. One good winter doesn't erase the problem. Unless, I guess, a great skiing trip is the fix.

So maybe some of that stuck with me, along with the disparaging lack of snowfall over the years, which I was simply highlighting. Whether "aggravated" is the correct term or not, I'm not sure, but I have no idea how the bigger picture wouldn't be bothersome or worthy of mention, sorry.

Climate change is a huge problem, and shouldn’t be ignored. Aside from a good number of transpacific flights (and participating in a frivolous, wasteful sport), I’m trying to do my part - no kids, not much of a consumer, near vegetarian, commuter cyclist for over a decade, PV on house, etc.

That’s not to say I can’t do better. And I’m not judging others’ efforts, or trying to invalidate their concerns.

Just trying to keep the skiing thread a little more lighthearted, I guess. No need for your apology @Harry Frogfish. I’m the one who was out of line, and will gladly drop it.

Last edited:

In my 20's I would have had an opinion on your question, but now I do not. I can help someone that skis a handful of times a year, but not someone who is looking into getting into back country.

It is difficult to do a google search for gear nowadays. The problem is that AI has allowed every company to churn out content farms. If you google "back country skiing gear guide" you get articles that are either advertisements or written by people that you do not know if they even back country ski.

My advice is to google "back country skiing gear guide reddit" or "back country skiing skins gear guide reddit", etc. You can also substitute reddit for "forums". Sometimes there are specialty forums that are just as good as sub reddits.

That lets you find threads such as the below one, which may not be correct for you, but at least you know those are skiers that use the product.

I've gone up to the Sierras for most of my life. Winter and summer. It's been deflating to see the disparity, over time. So the last couple of years I went up in the summer, driving through farmland -- that of which provides for a lot more of this country than some may realize -- only to come across a ton of signs like these (on the side of the road: "SEND WATER, PLEASE!!!" or "WE NEED DAMS NOW!!!" or "F U NEWSOM" and a litany of others alluding to a growing desperate situation.

Just a sad state of affairs, all in all, to see and realize a growing problem. I'm sure you've seen the lakes and reservoirs. One good winter doesn't erase the problem. Unless, I guess, a great skiing trip is the fix.

So maybe some of that stuck with me, along with the disparaging lack of snowfall over the years, which I was simply highlighting. Whether "aggravated" is the correct term or not, I'm not sure, but I have no idea how the bigger picture wouldn't be bothersome or worthy of mention, sorry.
Up here in Truckee it seems like despite the higher snow totals there were actually fewer skiable days available. The storms often caused the resorts to close due to dangerous conditions and then it would take days to dig out the lift stations and get things rideable. With the exception of Palisades they will all be closed by the end of the month despite there currently being 10ft of snow on my in-laws’ roof.

Up here in Truckee it seems like despite the higher snow totals there were actually fewer skiable days available. The storms often caused the resorts to close due to dangerous conditions and then it would take days to dig out the lift stations and get things rideable. With the exception of Palisades they will all be closed by the end of the month despite there currently being 10ft of snow on my in-laws’ roof.
Um, not sure where to go with this. Are you saying this was a bad situation, overall?

Hello, that often goes without saying, when you've got to take the good with the bad. The skiing was great, no matter how many days or even weeks one may have "lost" in their season, sorry. That actually wreaks of selfishness, if one was to argue about the "bad" part. In the end, do you really want to argue this winter was bad for the state??? For those whom were unprepared, and oh man, the irony and hypocrisy therein is off the charts, btw, then you may have a minor, at best, argument.

As a state, this winter was badly needed, and for WAY many more than the "skiing/boarding community". If you are implying Cali turning into a desert the last couple of decades was/is a good thing, I can't wait to hear the reasoning behind that one. I mean, where should we start, water rights? The Colorado River? The impending battles amongst states? Farmers in DEEP ****???

Did it fix any of that? God no. But it certainly didn't hurt, now did it? Losing some days of a ski season -- which will run through the end July in Mammoth, for example -- is the least of concerns. Filling up lakes and reservoirs in the meantime? I would say that's a tradeoff worth taking. And if some homeowners got caught off-guard a little, then, that's on them, sorry. They know where they live and what goes along with it. Or should, at a minimum.

Um, not sure where to go with this. Are you saying this was a bad situation, overall?

Hello, that often goes without saying, when you've got to take the good with the bad. The skiing was great, no matter how many days or even weeks one may have "lost" in their season, sorry. That actually wreaks of selfishness, if one was to argue about the "bad" part. In the end, do you really want to argue this winter was bad for the state??? For those whom were unprepared, and oh man, the irony and hypocrisy therein is off the charts, btw, then you may have a minor, at best, argument.

As a state, this winter was badly needed, and for WAY many more than the "skiing/boarding community". If you are implying Cali turning into a desert the last couple of decades was/is a good thing, I can't wait to hear the reasoning behind that one. I mean, where should we start, water rights? The Colorado River? The impending battles amongst states? Farmers in DEEP ****???

Did it fix any of that? God no. But it certainly didn't hurt, now did it? Losing some days of a ski season -- which will run through the end July in Mammoth, for example -- is the least of concerns. Filling up lakes and reservoirs in the meantime? I would say that's a tradeoff worth taking. And if some homeowners got caught off-guard a little, then, that's on them, sorry. They know where they live and what goes along with it. Or should, at a minimum.
You’re reading me way wrong. I would give up skiing entirely if in return we got out of the drought we’re in.

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
This was also true in Little Cottonwood Canyon (maybe Big, too). I’m sure there are others as well. Plus, a lot more avi control in the upper mountains limited skiable acreage.

My scariest driving ever occurred a few years ago in a blizzard, when they shut down several sections of I-70 in CO. I talked about it earlier in this thread. I bypassed the Vail summit by driving through Leadville. Multiple vehicles were stuck on the shoulder, and I witnessed a big rig kinda jackknife.

But we made it, and it was glorious. Until they opened the roads back up, leading to one of the bigger sh!t shows I’ve seen in the Back Bowls.

So many factors must intersect for a great ski day, but Ikm thankful I lucked into a bunch this season.

Last edited:
First ski trip in 5 years. Whistler for the weekend, why haven’t I been doing this more. So great.
Whistler with great snow is incredible. Usually hard to time though, given the elevation. We’re/are the conditions good from the base to summit?
Was great weather and conditions for this time of year yesterday. Today decent snow still but very foggy / low clouds throughout day in different parts of mountain which was hard to get a handle on.

Bottom of the hill is pretty slushy (we took Gondola down today) and they are closing tomorrow. But seems like they could keep going to me.

It’s just so nice being up here, have skied a few times each year but haven’t done a trip forever, been missing this and didn’t realize it.

First ski trip in 5 years. Whistler for the weekend, why haven’t I been doing this more. So great.
Whistler with great snow is incredible. Usually hard to time though, given the elevation. We’re/are the conditions good from the base to summit?
Was great weather and conditions for this time of year yesterday. Today decent snow still but very foggy / low clouds throughout day in different parts of mountain which was hard to get a handle on.

Bottom of the hill is pretty slushy (we took Gondola down today) and they are closing tomorrow. But seems like they could keep going to me.

It’s just so nice being up here, have skied a few times each year but haven’t done a trip forever, been missing this and didn’t realize it.
That area is great. So much awesome outdoor recreation. I‘m spoiled living where I do, but given my druthers, I’d much rather be in the mountains.

I talked to our local resort (Powder Mountain) about this the other day with them closing today despite still having plenty of coverage to stay open for another month at least. They said the reason most resorts close this time of year even when they have plenty of snow is staffing. Their work force is largely seasonal and only in town for winter, heading out to warmer destinations for spring/summer jobs this time of year so they can't really keep the places staffed enough to stay open longer.

I talked to our local resort (Powder Mountain) about this the other day with them closing today despite still having plenty of coverage to stay open for another month at least. They said the reason most resorts close this time of year even when they have plenty of snow is staffing. Their work force is largely seasonal and only in town for winter, heading out to warmer destinations for spring/summer jobs this time of year so they can't really keep the places staffed enough to stay open longer.
Makes sense. Except for the fact they knew way earlier than normal this winter was going to be one for the books.

They know much more than we do but I would be curious when those decisions were made. To shut her down, whilst money is still raining (snowing) down.

Seems to me they could've paid the seasonal employees a little extra scratch to stick around longer and everybody makes out well. Yes, the ensuing jobs may be put on hold, or even spared, but come on, this isn't Tennessee.

IT'S JUST A JOKE, TENNESSEANS.

Any recommendations on avi courses? Looks like you can get by w one day, but three looks more appropriate. AIARE appear to be the guys who make the curriculum.

Thoughts? @Mookie @DA RAIDERS
I've taken the AIARE 1 (twice) and AIARE Rescue. To start, I would take the AIARE 1, as it paints with a broad brush and covers everything you will need to understand backcountry basics - snow science, group dynamics, terrain traps, reading anow and slopes, digging pits, and how to use your beacon and perform searches. This is where I quickly realized that the best strategy for me is to just stay away from steep (30 degrees or more), avalanche prone slopes.

The Rescue Course is all about advanced searches and covers scenarios (organizing a search, assuming roles, probing, shoveling technique, multiple burials, reading a slide, etc.) - it's a great course but it also reinforced that I never want to put myself in a position where I have to dig out my friends - Again, I choose to stay off steep, avalanche prone slopes. To me, it's just not worth it. My kids are both hardcore skiers who like steeps, and they have both taken the Avalanche 2 course, which is geared towards refreshing the 1 and Rescue courses as well as minimizing risk in risky situations.

Finally, understand that these courses are only as good as what you can remember, which for me isn't much. For this reason, you need to commit to refreshing your knowledge, checking your equipment, and practicing your skills (mostly through practicing beacon searches).

So Blackcomb I think stays open a couple more weeks it turns out not sure if this is a usual thing. New lifts also going in and they had started construction early which was a bit messy.

Think you are right about staffing though. Crazy they don't have kids from around the world lined up to work there.

Alta closed today, with 894 inches of snow (so far). They’ve only eclipsed 700 inches twice in the last 77 seasons, with the prior record of 745 in. They have until April 30 to break 900 - and a blizzard is predicted Tuesday!

What are your PC dates?
Going back in Feb. Just found this…looks fun:
The Ski Utah Interconnect Adventure Tour gives an advanced to expert skier the opportunity to experience the magnificent beauty and incredible backcountry terrain of the Wasatch Mountain Range. Tours operate seven days a week, weather and conditions permitting. Guests will ski resort terrain & the backcountry terrain between and through as many as six* resorts in one day.

What are your PC dates?
Going back in Feb. Just found this…looks fun:
The Ski Utah Interconnect Adventure Tour gives an advanced to expert skier the opportunity to experience the magnificent beauty and incredible backcountry terrain of the Wasatch Mountain Range. Tours operate seven days a week, weather and conditions permitting. Guests will ski resort terrain & the backcountry terrain between and through as many as six* resorts in one day.
That looks awesome It’s a long day in the saddle

Users who are viewing this thread