What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Skiing Thread*** (1 Viewer)

@Terminalxylem i’ve always been interested in doing an avy course. If you want to do one next year in the eastern sierras, I’d be down.
Great idea - would give me an excuse to revisit Mammoth, too.
i'm still interested in this. here's one option
What are your PC dates?
Going back in Feb. Just found this…looks fun:
The Ski Utah Interconnect Adventure Tour gives an advanced to expert skier the opportunity to experience the magnificent beauty and incredible backcountry terrain of the Wasatch Mountain Range. Tours operate seven days a week, weather and conditions permitting. Guests will ski resort terrain & the backcountry terrain between and through as many as six* resorts in one day.
and this! do you know when are you going to UT?

got my wife a new pair of super light line skis, with the lightest possible Solomon bindings. i'm hoping that the lighter set up is more fun for her. :shrug:

@Terminalxylem i’ve always been interested in doing an avy course. If you want to do one next year in the eastern sierras, I’d be down.
What are your PC dates?
The Ski Utah Interconnect Adventure Tour gives an advanced to expert skier the opportunity to experience the magnificent beauty and incredible backcountry terrain of the Wasatch Mountain Range. Tours operate seven days a week, weather and conditions permitting. Guests will ski resort terrain & the backcountry terrain between and through as many as six* resorts in one day.
Looks like Dec or April for avi training (3-day AIARE I), so as not to interrupt prime ski season. I‘ll see what I can negotiate with wifey, but I need to wait a bit. I’ve just returned from Vegas by myself, and have another solo trip planned later this month, departing the day after our anniversary. My wife is a saint, but I don’t want to push my luck by arranging other wifeless trips atm - gotta get Japan locked down first. Then again, she’s never been to Mammoth, so maybe can weasel more ski days out of it.

PC is Feb 10-16 with my reg ski group (you met the “B” team, excluding my wife). A couple of the guys are interested in the interconnect, but nothing finalized.

What are your PC dates?
Looks like Dec or April for avi training (3-day AIARE I), so as not to interrupt prime ski season. I‘ll see what I can negotiate with wifey, but I need to wait a bit. I’ve just returned from Vegas by myself, and have another solo trip planned later this month, departing the day after our anniversary. My wife is a saint, but I don’t want to push my luck by arranging other wifeless trips atm - gotta get Japan locked down first. Then again, she’s never been to Mammoth, so maybe can weasel more ski days out of it.

PC is Feb 10-16 with my reg ski group (you met the “B” team, excluding my wife). A couple of the guys are interested in the interconnect, but nothing finalized.
Dec isn’t great for me. I work all through it and then take as much time off to ski as I can the next 3-4 months. I’m down for a mammoth trip anytime. It’s my home mountain basically. I’m booked for the 1st week of the year

What are your PC dates?

That would be awesome but would be a long day to say the least.

Been lining up my trips for the year and have President's day week for Gore Mountain in upstate NY and a week in Telluride in March. Trying to figure out trip around Christmas and another trip for MLK weekend.

I don't remember heavenly being "great." What stood out to me was something similar to parts of Keystone.... there can be quite the convergence of runs...always have to look over your shoulder.

No pass for me this year and probably only a couple ski trips this year, however I am already in exercise mode.

Two years ago I was able to do double blacks all day long. However, last year I was not in near good enough shape and would get tired half way down any difficult run so i mostly stuck to the easier stuff.

I am not buying a pass this year, although I probably will be going a-basin or Loveland, those are my two favorite out of the Denver area.

I really want to do Silverton, however I have not used avalanche gear in over 15 years and would want to get training on the new equipment. Another contender would be Crested Butte if I want to drive a little more from Denver.

No pass for me this year and probably only a couple ski trips this year, however I am already in exercise mode.

Two years ago I was able to do double blacks all day long. However, last year I was not in near good enough shape and would get tired half way down any difficult run so i mostly stuck to the easier stuff.

I am not buying a pass this year, although I probably will be going a-basin or Loveland, those are my two favorite out of the Denver area.

I really want to do Silverton, however I have not used avalanche gear in over 15 years and would want to get training on the new equipment. Another contender would be Crested Butte if I want to drive a little more from Denver.
wolf creek? Telluride?

wolf creek? Telluride?

Yeah, those are on the list of ones I want to do someday, although my wife wants to go there as well so I do not think I can leave her at home with the kids and go there with my buddies/brother.

She doesnt care about Crested Butte.

Just booked alta/snowbird. Super stoked. I’ve never been and always wanted to go.
Dates? I love Alta, and know the mountain a bit. I know Snowbird is awesome, too, but I’ve not figured out the best runs/terrain.

Highly recommend the Italian hot chocolate from Baldy Brews, mid-mountain Alta.

Silverton is on my list. We should coordinate a trip, after @DA RAIDERS and I get avi training.

Just booked alta/snowbird. Super stoked. I’ve never been and always wanted to go.
Dates? I love Alta, and know the mountain a bit. I know Snowbird is awesome, too, but I’ve not figured out the best runs/terrain.

2/12-2/15 might stay longer
Overlaps with our PC dates. May be a stretch, but I’ll see if I can finagle a day at Alta.

ETA Return to Niseko mid-January :excited:

Also, lodging has gone way up. Hotels we’d get for $3-400//night five years ago are now $1K+. Might need to do more air b&b further from the slopes.

2/12-2/15 might stay longer
Overlaps with our PC dates. May be a stretch, but I’ll see if I can finagle a day at Alta.

ETA Return to Niseko mid-January :excited:
Any chance I tag along for Japan. Work is slow. 😂

Also, lodging has gone way up. Hotels we’d get for $3-400//night five years ago are now $1K+. Might need to do more air b&b further from the slopes.
If you look hard enough, and it’s a pia, one can find decent deals. We have a 2/2 condo walking distance to the lifts. $600/night for the holiday week.

If you look hard enough, and it’s a pia, one can find decent deals. We have a 2/2 condo walking distance to the lifts. $600/night for the holiday week.
We got a $400/night hotel (more like $500 after “resort fees, etc) in Vail, with shuttle to slopes. Not ideal, but I need some cost control to have any hope for another week in March, somewhere

Last edited:
Any thoughts on quality slopes off the beaten path in Colorado?
Are you talking about backcountry, or less crowded/accessible resorts?

I can’t really speak to the former, though Silverton is the closest “resort” to backcountry skiing.

Telluride and Crested Butte are big name resorts, but inconvenient enough they tend to be less crowded than I-70. Wolf Creek is smaller, and gets a ton of snow.

And most places have untracked lines, if your willing to hike a little.

I can’t really speak to the former, though Silverton is the closest “resort” to backcountry skiing.

Telluride and Crested Butte are big name resorts, but inconvenient enough they tend to be less crowded than I-70. Wolf Creek is smaller, and gets a ton of snow.

And most places have untracked lines, if your willing to hike a little

Actually what I am looking for is a good place within an hour or so of Denver. The altitude and my bp don't mix so I want to stay closer to Denver and a manageable altitude but have a skier and a boarder that want access to good hills - they are less experienced so a mainstream hill but it doesn't have to be Breckenridge or Vail

Actually what I am looking for is a good place within an hour or so of Denver. The altitude and my bp don't mix so I want to stay closer to Denver and a manageable altitude but have a skier and a boarder that want access to good hills - they are less experienced so a mainstream hill but it doesn't have to be Breckenridge or Vail
Eldora is smaller, but decent. Loveland and Winter Park also meet your criteria.

Loveland is smaller, especially when it comes to the blues, but is one of my favorite hills.
The only downside imo is there is only one high speed lift, however other people may find fault with the fact that the restaurant is lacking compared to the resorts.

Back at Niseko, I was deeply disturbed by the hotel shuttle driver:

“You’re lucky to be here, as it’s a very special week. It snows most the time, but this looks like a bluebird week - sunny and clear. You’ll have a chance to see everything this town has to offer.”

I didn’t come to Niseko to window shop, thanks. And as per my slightly superstitious routine, I dared not look at the weather forecast. But there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.

Anyway, I avoided saying something sarcastic to the driver (who wasn’t joking, I assume), and sulked to our room. Oh well, there are certainly bigger problems than spending a week in Japan, snow or no snow.

At breakfast the following day, I was surprised to see overcast skies and light snowfall. Overheard the next table say we got a couple cm overnight. Certainly better than the zero I was expecting.

And just like last year, snow depth here isn’t measured like it is in the states. There was at least eight inches of fresh powder on much of the mountain. And it kept snowing most of the day. So I did laps with my wife in the side-country off the highest elevation lift, which accumulated enough snow to submerge our boots by days end.

All in all, just a great day skiing. And I barely saw the sun at all.

Finishing up our second trip to Niseko. Once again, it was great, though not quite the same as last season.

The good:

1. Snow. Again, it snowed nearly every day (so much for bluebird days), and the powder consistency/moisture content is second to none. Explanation here.
2. Food. Our hotel improved its restaurant fare, such that we chose to eat in a couple nights. Also tried the food trucks, probably a mistake while it was snowing, but good stuff nonetheless. And cheap, under $20 a meal. Missed out on upscale dining, as we were too lazy to make early reservations, but never a problem finding ramen and other Japanese comfort food. You need to go directly apres-ski to avoid lines though.
3. Free hot chocolate, at the upscale hotel near the base of the resort. And not powdered instant garbage; rich, creamy chocolate, churned in a special dispenser. As good as the “Italian hot chocolate“ served in tiny cups at Alta, for like $4/oz.
4. Private onsen with wife ♥️

There were a couple blemishes on this trip, however:

1. Crowds. The secret of Japow is out, and without a pandemic, there were ~2-3x as many people on the mountain, many Australians and Chinese. Unlike the Japanese, they embrace the crowd concept of waiting in groups, where it’s every man for himself getting to the lifts. This was a stark contrast the deferential, ordered queues we encountered last year, when there were lines at all.
2. Wind was really strong several days, which shut down the upper lifts. Sometimes they’d open up later, but our last day only the base lifts were running. Given the layout of the mountain, with four different “base” areas (a vestige of smaller resorts combining to form Niseko United), we were effectively trapped doing laps on the gondola. This compounded #1, leading up to 40 minute waits for a single run.

Overall, still my favorite ski destination. As I told my wife, wind or no wind, we’ll be going every year moving forward.

Alta snowbird is awesome.
How’s the snow?

Currently at Park City. Snow is mid, as the kids like to say. No cap.
Little sus. But pretty good. It snowed a little last night. We’ll see how today is.
I‘ll look for you from the summit of PC.
Snow much better today. Was lapping 9990 most of the day. Thought I saw a guy in an orangish jacket, in a helmet with a bunch of stickers over at Alta.

Users who are viewing this thread