What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2011 Thread (4 Viewers)

With him healthy, in this year's AFC, they have every chance of taking the #5 seed route to the Super Bowl. Without him playing at full capacity, they could be one-and-done, even at home.
I think you're giving the Steelers far too much credit. Their best road win this year was at Arizona when they were a funk and without Wells for more than half the game. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the Steelers will be fortunate to win even one road playoff game this season. They simply won't win in New England or Baltimore, and that's almost certainly where their potential second game will be.Nearly all of their all-pro caliber players are either out or playing hurt. Harrison is the only exception. It's just not happening this year.

Now Pouncey is out so Kemo gets to start this week. Unless you guys know some way around it that I don't.

My optimism has gone from sky high eleven days ago to shaky at best. That Browns game has had a brutal hangover.

Looks like Woodley will play though and Worilds has played well and will be starting in place of Harrison.

Good luck Ben and Co. I hope you don't need it.
I have thought Worilds has been horrible, and is so out of position on every play that he doesn't have a chance to make the tackle. I am one that hopes Timmons goes back to Harrison's spot, as that was when Woodley began getting to the QB, and after Harrison came back healthy. Woodley only seems to be effective if there is a pass rusher on the opposite side too, and Timmons has been as out of position at MLB as Worilds has been at OLB.
Hmm...going into this year, I wasnt sure about what we had in Worilds and if he was on the road to becoming a bust, but I think he has been solid yet unspectacular filling in this year and getting better as the year has gone on. He hasnt piled up the stats/sacks, but he has consistently pressured the QB most weeks and has been making some nice sideline to sideline tackles here and there.
Gotta say, Worilds looked better last night than I've seen him. I think he really over ran only one or two plays that I saw. He was in better position than Timmons all night, that's for sure. I'm still of the opinion that Timmons should have filled Harrison's spot as he and Woodley did a good job of getting QB pressure together early in the season, and Foote is less talented but playing ILB better than Timmons is anyways. And my goodness, does Farrior need a replacement. He'll do for the rest of the year, but he's definitely in decline due to age. A step or two slow now and I really hope he is not still starting next year when he gets even older and slower even though he is currently the best ILB on the roster. Timmons had better mature a bit this offseason. Liked what I saw from Ziggy, and that may have been Polomalu's best game. Just get the O line and Ben healthy for the playoffs and I'd be fine with a 5 seed. That would be a Broncos game, which I like our chances in if healthy.

Any word on Mewelde Moore? I tried to watch on replay and it seemed he went down without contact, which always makes you worry about an ACL.
sprained knee ligament-out indefinitely

Last edited by a moderator:
With him healthy, in this year's AFC, they have every chance of taking the #5 seed route to the Super Bowl. Without him playing at full capacity, they could be one-and-done, even at home.
I think you're giving the Steelers far too much credit. Their best road win this year was at Arizona when they were a funk and without Wells for more than half the game. I'd love to be proven wrong, but the Steelers will be fortunate to win even one road playoff game this season. They simply won't win in New England or Baltimore, and that's almost certainly where their potential second game will be.Nearly all of their all-pro caliber players are either out or playing hurt. Harrison is the only exception. It's just not happening this year.
One of Bill Cowher's favorite lines used to be "you don't get too high with the highs or too low with the lows". Going into Week 14 in 2005 the Steelers were 7-5 and coming off three consecutive losses. There is no way in hell I thought they were going to win out let alone beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeded teams on the road and win the Super Bowl. This is the NFL and anything can happen.Don't let last night's loss get you down. The Steelers, if healthy, have as a good of a chance as any of the teams in the AFC to make a run for the Super Bowl. They have clinched a playoff spot and the priority here is to get as healthy as possible for the playoffs.

'Godsbrother said:
One of Bill Cowher's favorite lines used to be "you don't get too high with the highs or too low with the lows". Going into Week 14 in 2005 the Steelers were 7-5 and coming off three consecutive losses. There is no way in hell I thought they were going to win out let alone beat the #1, #2 and #3 seeded teams on the road and win the Super Bowl. This is the NFL and anything can happen.Don't let last night's loss get you down. The Steelers, if healthy, have as a good of a chance as any of the teams in the AFC to make a run for the Super Bowl. They have clinched a playoff spot and the priority here is to get as healthy as possible for the playoffs.
There's a fine line in this business...The difference for me is that the 2005 Steelers -- by that point in the season -- had already defeated the Chargers and Bengals on the road, and in general had played competitively on the road for the past two seasons. They didn't lose a road game in 2004-2005 where a healthy, non-rusty Ben played an entire game. (Yeah, I know, a lot of conditions...)The 2011 Steelers have still not played a complete road game. The only thing close was at Arizona. And they're just not healthy, unlike in 2005 when there were comparatively few injuries, at least as I remember. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Per Mark Kaboly (Pittsburgh Tribune Review Steelers Beat Reporter):

Ben NOT wearing boot in locker room today, when asked about report declaring him OUT this weekend Ben responded "... that's news to me..."

He also said he wasnt sure if he would practice today.

Practice is starting any minute now...

With the Jets loss last night, the Bengals now are fighting for the last AFCWC spot next week vs Baltimore. Steelers win over the Browns and a Cincy win next week gives us the #2 seed and a bye. WHO DEY!

With the Jets loss last night, the Bengals now are fighting for the last AFCWC spot next week vs Baltimore. Steelers win over the Browns and a Cincy win next week gives us the #2 seed and a bye. WHO DEY!
As our gb The_Man has pointed out in our own thread, the Ravens are 2-6 in their last 8 visits to Cincinnati. So hope should be alive and well in western Pennsylvania. I hope my Stillers friends had a wonderful Christmas and lots of traditional holiday sex with their cousins. :P

As our gb The_Man has pointed out in our own thread, the Ravens are 2-6 in their last 8 visits to Cincinnati. So hope should be alive and well in western Pennsylvania. I hope my Stillers friends had a wonderful Christmas and lots of traditional holiday sex with their cousins. :P
I have no idea what the line is, but I'd take Cincy in any case. The Ravens can't keep playing half a game. Marvin Lewis owns them & I fully expect him to continue that next Sunday.The Ravens couldn't have had more help to get the #1 seed and they've blown it each time. Hell, if Cleveland hadn't shot themselves in the foot about a thousand time Sunday it would all be a moot point by now.

I have no idea what the line is, but I'd take Cincy in any case. The Ravens can't keep playing half a game. Marvin Lewis owns them & I fully expect him to continue that next Sunday.The Ravens couldn't have had more help to get the #1 seed and they've blown it each time. Hell, if Cleveland hadn't shot themselves in the foot about a thousand time Sunday it would all be a moot point by now.
bungles currently 1.5 pt dogs

Any new news on whether Ryan Clark will play? That's an interesting situation. There has to be doctors in Denver that can control that.

Any new news on whether Ryan Clark will play? That's an interesting situation. There has to be doctors in Denver that can control that.
from last night:
UPDATE 10:23 p.m. ET: The Steelers have forwarded to PFT the specific answer provided after the game by coach Mike Tomlin as to Clark’s status. “We’re going to meet with the doctors at some point tomorrow or Tuesday,” Tomlin said. “It’s a discussion. Last time we went we exercised some precaution. We chose not to play him, but we worked him out extensively to see how he responded to that. We gathered information and data in that regard. Now we get an opportunity to utilize that. Now we will put some heads together. When I am talking about heads I am talking about medical experts, not myself. We’ll see what the medical experts have to say and then we’ll go from there.”

Clark's gonna be a GTD...No way they let the Donkeys know if he isnt going to play before kickoff.
Considering the last time he played there he got so ill he lost his gall bladder and spleen, does the Steelers/NFL open themselves up to any liabilities if they clear him and (God forbid) something awful happens again? This isn't like playing on a hurt ankle. Has to be a gut wrenching decision both for the team and for Clark and his family.

No way is he playing, in my opinion.

That said, there's no way the team will announce it until right before kick off either, as coaches love to play reindeer games.

He'll be a GTD and will wind up watching from the sideline.

They shouldn't, but I'm wouldn't be making any travel plans for the following week yet.

Pittsburgh has not be a great road team, has shown a propensity to play up/down to the competition this year, is dealing with a host of injuries and have historically sucked in Mile High.

I think they'll win, but it's probably going to be ugly and it's probably going to be a lot closer than most think.

They shouldn't, but I'm wouldn't be making any travel plans for the following week yet.

Pittsburgh has not be a great road team, has shown a propensity to play up/down to the competition this year, is dealing with a host of injuries and have historically sucked in Mile High.

I think they'll win, but it's probably going to be ugly and it's probably going to be a lot closer than most think.
While I wouldn't say the Steelers have played great on the road, all three of those losses came against teams with double-digit wins. You are correct that they are definitely dealing with a host of injuries but "historically sucked at Mile High" doesn't mean a whole lot, especially considering the Steelers are 3-2 in Denver over the past decade. I agree it will be a close game but the key to the Steelers is going to turnovers. The Steelers turnover ratio has been awful -- if they can keep that in check they should win.

I am curious to hear what the Steelers are going to do at RB. With Mendenhall out for the playoffs they are down to two healthy running backs. I guess it all depends on whether Mewelde is ready to come back. If not I would think they have to look to sign a RB.

Not sure who they might be bring in -- Ryan Torain maybe? Maybe we'll know more after Tomlin's presser...

Injury update as per today's Tomlin press conference:

FS Ryan Clark will not play, Ryan Mundy will get the start.

RB Rashard Mendenhall done for the year.

RB Mewelde Moore will be looked at but is questionable right now.

CB Cortez Allen questionable at best.

OG Doug Legursky should be back.

LB LaMarr Woodley should be back.

TE David Johnson hyper-extended his elbow but will play.

QB Ben Roethlisberger's ankle is no worse after the Cleveland game. He will be limited in practice early in the week but will play.

CB Anthony Madison was signed to fill the role as "gunner" on special teams. No other personnel moves are anticipated right now.

Would really like the Steelers to bring in a FA RB.

The recently released Ryan Torain instantly comes to mind as a sensible signing.

ETA: There are rumors Steelers will promote RB Chad Spann from practice squad for this week's game vs. DEN

Is Dywer dressing? He has one good game against Tennesse and disappears... Not that I want him as the main back but really would be a nice backup with Clay

Is Dywer dressing? He has one good game against Tennesse and disappears... Not that I want him as the main back but really would be a nice backup with Clay
Dwyer is IR'd.Only active RB's on roster are Redman, Moore and Clay.

Dwyer is IR'd.Only active RB's on roster are Redman, Moore and Clay.
Wow I stink, had no idea he was hurt :bag:
:lol: No worries! I dont think its intuitive to go into a game with 2 RB's on roster for a playoff game.

In case some of you were wondering, emergency RB for Steelers is S Troy Polamalu (lets hope it doesnt come to that).

Would really like the Steelers to bring in a FA RB.The recently released Ryan Torain instantly comes to mind as a sensible signing.ETA: There are rumors Steelers will promote RB Chad Spann from practice squad for this week's game vs. DEN
Checked out Spann's highlight video on Youtube. He looks promising (nice combo of speed & power) but I sure would hate to see the Steelers down to an undrafted rookie free agent signed a couple of weeks ago...

Would really like the Steelers to bring in a FA RB.

The recently released Ryan Torain instantly comes to mind as a sensible signing.

ETA: There are rumors Steelers will promote RB Chad Spann from practice squad for this week's game vs. DEN
Checked out Spann's highlight video on Youtube. He looks promising (nice combo of speed & power) but I sure would hate to see the Steelers down to an undrafted rookie free agent signed a couple of weeks ago...
True... but they were in that exact situation last week with John Clay replacing Redman late in the game (granted, it wasnt a playoff game)

:unsure:

Baron Batch would be nice to have right now...

Im very surprised they already announced Clark as out. I also personally would rather they give Woodley another week of rest as I dont think they need him and Worilds has been solid, but I didnt think that would be the case.

I was expecting a "GTD" for Clark too, even though I expected there was no way in hell they were playing him.

Can't feature they'd go into a game with only 2 healthy RBs. I wonder if that really means that Moore is a bit better than they're letting on?

I was expecting a "GTD" for Clark too, even though I expected there was no way in hell they were playing him.Can't feature they'd go into a game with only 2 healthy RBs. I wonder if that really means that Moore is a bit better than they're letting on?
Tomlin said that they would evaluate Moore this week and classified him as questionable for this week. If questionable is 50/50 then I guess we won't find out until later this week. There is no way they will go in with only 2 healthy backs so if Mewelde can't go their going to have to activate Spann or bring someone in.

I was expecting a "GTD" for Clark too, even though I expected there was no way in hell they were playing him.Can't feature they'd go into a game with only 2 healthy RBs. I wonder if that really means that Moore is a bit better than they're letting on?
Tomlin said that they would evaluate Moore this week and classified him as questionable for this week. If questionable is 50/50 then I guess we won't find out until later this week. There is no way they will go in with only 2 healthy backs so if Mewelde can't go their going to have to activate Spann or bring someone in.
Spann was activated today apparently

I wasn't, that was pretty much a lock unless the doctors said otherwise. Probably won't even make the trip :(
I fully expected that there was no way in hell he was playing. I just didn't think the Steelers would announce it until kickoff.Coaches like to play reindeer games with the injury report/etc. I was expecting Tomlin to do that here.

I wasn't, that was pretty much a lock unless the doctors said otherwise. Probably won't even make the trip :(
I fully expected that there was no way in hell he was playing. I just didn't think the Steelers would announce it until kickoff.Coaches like to play reindeer games with the injury report/etc. I was expecting Tomlin to do that here.
Ah gotcha
I was expecting a "GTD" for Clark too, even though I expected there was no way in hell they were playing him.
FWIW Tomlin said Clark will make the trip and help coach up his replacements.
Wow, really I guess he is a tad better, I thought he couldn't even stay there that long, I guess as long as he doesn't tax his system he should be ok ...

Stupid question: what exactly makes Clark ill? Is it the altitude alone or is it playing in altitude? If it's just being at that elevation, how can he even make the trip? If it's strenuous activity in altitude, what's the mechanism that makes him sick? Also, I'm assuming that normalizing cabin pressure in planes doesn't affect him (otherwise, he'd never be able to fly)?In any case, it's too bad he can't play. I heard a clip of him on ESPN and he sounds really bummed out. As an NFL fan, I like to see teams compete at as close to full strength as possible. And this is different than an injury - at least you could consider that a risk of playing. But Clark's illness feels like he is getting cheated.

Good luck in Tebowland, yinzers. I expect somewhat of an ugly game but think the Steelers have the mettle to pull it out.

From what I understand the problem with Clark is that he is susceptible to organ damage if he exerts himself at high altitude. Clark has not played in the past two trips to Denver but he did work out before the 2010 preseason game to see how his body reacted. He came through it without problems but did not exert himself anywhere close to the level he that would in a game.

So he is okay traveling to Denver and being on the sideline with his teammates but will not play.

'Uruk-Hai said:
'Frenchy Fuqua said:
'belljr said:
'5-ish Finkle said:
Stupid question: what exactly makes Clark ill? Is it the altitude alone or is it playing in altitude? If it's just being at that elevation, how can he even make the trip? If it's strenuous activity in altitude, what's the mechanism that makes him sick? Also, I'm assuming that normalizing cabin pressure in planes doesn't affect him (otherwise, he'd never be able to fly)?In any case, it's too bad he can't play. I heard a clip of him on ESPN and he sounds really bummed out. As an NFL fan, I like to see teams compete at as close to full strength as possible. And this is different than an injury - at least you could consider that a risk of playing. But Clark's illness feels like he is getting cheated.

Good luck in Tebowland, yinzers. I expect somewhat of an ugly game but think the Steelers have the mettle to pull it out.
After reading a bit more his Sickle Cell Trait can technically cause issue with activity or just being at high altitudes. From what I understand his is ok enough to be there but not add the stress of activity.

Users who are viewing this thread