What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2011 Thread (2 Viewers)

Steelers (@steelers) officially place LB Chris Carter on IR and activate RB Chad Spann from practice squad
Steelers also signed RB Albert Young to the practice squad. Young was a member of the Minnesota Vikings during his first three NFL seasons, spending his first on the Vikings’ practice squad and appearing in 10 games in 2009 and 2010. He has rushed 25 times for 82 yards in the NFL. Young was a late cut by Jacksonville in the preseason.

I've posted in here before about my slowly dawning realization that the Steelers are a pass-heavy offense with a very secondary running game. I think Redman is pretty much as good as (if not better than) Mendenhall. Where his loss will be felt is in the loss of depth - with Mendy, they had two very good RBs and now they only have one.

But I also think that doesn't matter much to the Steelers, since they are a passing team anyway. What will really tell the tale is if Ben is on the mend and can begin to regain his mobility. And I believe all of that is moot this week anyway - they will win something like 23-3 and never be challenged. Tebow is going to be exposed and embarrassed.

The top of the AFC looks like Rock-paper-scissors to me: Ravens can beat Steelers who can beat Patriots who can beat Ravens

I've posted in here before about my slowly dawning realization that the Steelers are a pass-heavy offense with a very secondary running game. I think Redman is pretty much as good as (if not better than) Mendenhall. Where his loss will be felt is in the loss of depth - with Mendy, they had two very good RBs and now they only have one.

But I also think that doesn't matter much to the Steelers, since they are a passing team anyway. What will really tell the tale is if Ben is on the mend and can begin to regain his mobility. And I believe all of that is moot this week anyway - they will win something like 23-3 and never be challenged. Tebow is going to be exposed and embarrassed.

The top of the AFC looks like Rock-paper-scissors to me: Ravens can beat Steelers who can beat Patriots who can beat Ravens
Your AFC Champion will be one of these teams.

Yep. Just going to be a matter of who plays where and when, and how those teams play on that given day. Any one of those three teams could go to the SB and not surprise me one iota. What would shock me is if the AFC rep was anyone but Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or New England.

@EdBouchette: #steelers ben had setback with ankle in cleveland he just said
Love Ben's play but wish he'd learn to keep his mouth shut about his numerous injuries.
Hard to read anything into that poorly written statement.
PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger walked into the locker room Wednesday with more of a limp than he did last week, but the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback doesn't think his left ankle will affect him for Sunday's wild-card playoff game at Denver."I had a little setback early in the third quarter (at Cleveland last Sunday)," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "We're working really hard with the trainers and doctors to get back to even where we were before the Cleveland game. I felt pretty good going in and moved a little bit at the beginning of that game. It's a little setback but we'll get moving."

Roethlisberger indicated that he probably got set back "about a week." Since spraining his ankle on Dec. 8, Pittsburgh has scored two touchdowns in 10 quarters with him on the field.

With the injury, Roethlisberger hasn't been able to follow through on his passes because he is unable to put weight on his left leg. He has completed 56 of 96 passes (58.3 percent) for 729 yards. He has thrown one touchdown and four interceptions for a 68.4 passer rating.

Roethlisberger is unsure how he hurt his ankle last Sunday.

"I don't know if I caught it on the ground wrong or got hit ... we'll see," Roethlisberger said. "We'll be all right."

I honestly wouldn't beef if they started Batch this week. I think they're better than the Broncos even with Batch under center and Ben clearly needs some time. They won't beat Baltimore or New England on the road if Ben plays the way he did in SF or last week.

Yeah, I'm worried that Ben's limited mobility will lead to more turnovers. Doom and Von will kick the #### out of Ben this weekend if he's back there and I could see some more sailed INTs or sack/fumbles. I think IF Ben starts this weekend, the Broncos get an ugly win. I can't see Ben surviving the Broncos pass rush and then surviving Suggs the following weekend (I expect Cincy to beat Houston).

Yeah, I'm worried that Ben's limited mobility will lead to more turnovers. Doom and Von will kick the #### out of Ben this weekend if he's back there and I could see some more sailed INTs or sack/fumbles. I think IF Ben starts this weekend, the Broncos get an ugly win. I can't see Ben surviving the Broncos pass rush and then surviving Suggs the following weekend (I expect Cincy to beat Houston).
I hear you but I think the chance they bench Ben for Batch is darn close to 0%.

The key for the game vs. Denver is limiting turnovers. That has really been our achilles heel in most of our losses/close games.

If we win the turnover battle we'll probably win, with or without Ben.

THAT and our defense needs to start forcing them!

Only 14 takeaways this year? Wow...

Rumor: C Maurkice Pouncey looking "very questionable" for Sunday's tilt vs. Denver per @MarkKaboly_Trib via a conversation with OC Bruce Arians. He felt "very sore" after Wednesday's practice according to Pouncey saying that his ankle "... isnt feeling right...". Pouncey missed today's (Thursday) practice.

OL Doug Legursky would start in his place, with Kemoeatu moving to LG.

On a secondary note, both Woodley (hamstring) and Roethlisberger (ankle) practiced in full today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steelers Pouncey won't play Sunday

Friday, January 06, 2012

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who aggravated his injured left ankle against the Cleveland Browns last Sunday and again in practice on Wednesday, will not play in Sunday's wild-card playoff game in Denver, the Post-Gazette has learned.

It is the second postseason game in a row Pouncey will miss because of an injury to the same ankle. He did not play against Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV because of a high-ankle sprain.

The Steelers do not have to officially update Pounce's status until after practice today.

Guard Doug Legursky, who is returning after missing the previous game with a left shoulder separation, will start at center. Former starter Chris Kemoeatu will replace Legursky at left guard.

'BigSteelThrill said:
Run. Run. Run.Then, run some more.
Broncos safety Brian Dawkins did not practice today and is unlikely to play. This is good news for the Steelers running and passing game.

'geneyus said:
LINK

Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson was badly burned in a fire early this morning.
'Copeman said:
Steelers Pouncey won't play Sunday

Friday, January 06, 2012

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey, who aggravated his injured left ankle against the Cleveland Browns last Sunday and again in practice on Wednesday, will not play in Sunday's wild-card playoff game in Denver, the Post-Gazette has learned.

It is the second postseason game in a row Pouncey will miss because of an injury to the same ankle. He did not play against Green Bay in Super Bowl XLV because of a high-ankle sprain.

The Steelers do not have to officially update Pounce's status until after practice today.

Guard Doug Legursky, who is returning after missing the previous game with a left shoulder separation, will start at center. Former starter Chris Kemoeatu will replace Legursky at left guard.
My goodness things are fallling apart... T&P for coach Wilson

'Copeman said:
How does the coaching staff not realize Essex at C and the Big Legursky at LG is a much better call?!

'Copeman said:
How does the coaching staff not realize Essex at C and the Big Legursky at LG is a much better call?!
Essex and "better" do no belong in the same sentence but I hear you.

'Copeman said:
:lmao:

'Copeman said:
A testament to how truly bad our OL is outside of Pouncey and maybe Starks.

'Copeman said:
I think that Gilbert has done a pretty decent job at RT FWIW.We need to upgrade both Guard positions desperately.

@ProFootballTalk - Report: Brady Quinn takes some 1st team reps in practice

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ProFootballTalk - Report: Brady Quinn takes some 1st team reps in practice:popcorn:
NFL.com reports that Brady Quinn did not take first-team reps in Broncos practice this week.According to NFL.com's Jeff Darlington, the Broncos had "internal discussions" about splitting quarterback reps between Quinn and Tim Tebow, but it didn't actually occur. Quinn also told Darlington that he "hasn't gotten any extra reps." Quinn added that he received only two reps in Friday's practice.

'Copeman said:
I think that Gilbert has done a pretty decent job at RT FWIW.We need to upgrade both Guard positions desperately.
I think Gilbert did okay too. If Pouncey could stay healthy I think the Big Legursky is a serviceable Guard. Desperately need a another OG though. They also have to figure out what they want to do with Colon.

Really good article by Greg Cosell on the NFL Films blog about how Tebow is terrible passing vs. man-to-man coverage
This is why I think Denver has very little chance, no matter how badly the Steelers are banged up. The Broncos O is tailor-made for LeBeau. Outside of anything funky (kick returns, pick 6s, etc..), I just can't see Denver putting together any lengthy drives to score. This game has 17-3 written all over it even if Hanratty came out of retirement to QB Pittsburgh.

Really good article by Greg Cosell on the NFL Films blog about how Tebow is terrible passing vs. man-to-man coverage
This is why I think Denver has very little chance, no matter how badly the Steelers are banged up. The Broncos O is tailor-made for LeBeau. Outside of anything funky (kick returns, pick 6s, etc..), I just can't see Denver putting together any lengthy drives to score. This game has 17-3 written all over it even if Hanratty came out of retirement to QB Pittsburgh.
Steelers have played more man to man and have gotten better at it than any time I can remember in the past. That said, to run man coverage you have to be able to contain a running QB since the DBs will have their backs turned. Pitt's run D has been weaker than in years past but have vastly improved their pass D. Not sure if the Broncos play to the Steelers strengths or weaknesses. With team health and homefield advantage, I call this game a coin flip. I can't argue for or against anybodys opinion of how this game will play out, and if I had $1,000,000 I wouldn't bet a nickle on it.

Tell me again why shouldn't be concerned with our secondary again

I hope when they draft a lineman they show that final play (hell the entire game)

I hope when they draft a lineman they show that final play (hell the entire game)
If you catch the replay of the last play, its pretty clear that Mundy blew the game for the Steelers. He approached the line too late before the snap for a fake blitz, and Thomas was by him as soon as the ball was snapped. Not making excuses for Ike who got burned all night by Demaryius, but he was expecting a safety over the top. I didnt think the Steelers need Clark tonight, but Clark very well may have been the difference between a win and a loss.Honestly, this is the least angry/disappointed/sad I can remember being after a playoff loss, because with the injuries the Steelers had I didnt think they could beat NE, then BAL, then likely GB or NO. Add Keisel, Hampton, and Woodley seemingly re-aggravating the hammy, no way in hell beat those teams 3 games in a row.

Im already happy in the back of my mind they lost because theyll have a higher draft pick now, 24th I think, then like 28th or worse depending on how many more games they won.

the final play was all about ryan mundy's decision-making. was he coached to be charging the 20-yard line as thomas streaked by him? or did he just decide to improvise and try to be like troy? who knows, but from what i saw, on many of those big pass plays the cornerback has decent-to-good coverage. if willie gay could just get his head around for a change, that would help. but if ike is in good coverage but the ball is dropped in perfectly, there is nothing to do but applaud the throw. i just did not think tebow had it in him, nor do i think he will repeat that kind of performance any time soon.

If you catch the replay of the last play, its pretty clear that Mundy blew the game for the Steelers. He approached the line too late before the snap for a fake blitz, and Thomas was by him as soon as the ball was snapped. Not making excuses for Ike who got burned all night by Demaryius, but he was expecting a safety over the top. I didnt think the Steelers need Clark tonight, but Clark very well may have been the difference between a win and a loss.Honestly, this is the least angry/disappointed/sad I can remember being after a playoff loss, because with the injuries the Steelers had I didnt think they could beat NE, then BAL, then likely GB or NO. Add Keisel, Hampton, and Woodley seemingly re-aggravating the hammy, no way in hell beat those teams 3 games in a row.

Im already happy in the back of my mind they lost because theyll have a higher draft pick now, 24th I think, then like 28th or worse depending on how many more games they won.
i am in the total opposite state. feels like 1994 and san diego all over again. i'd bet most fans are taking this loss like me. devestated. and angry. and shocked.i can't even tell you how frustrated/angry i am with this coaching staff and their clock management ineptitude. cost us the ravens game for sure (and the #2 seed) and hurt us down the stretch tonight. i wouldn't go so far as to claim that Tomlin Must Go, but the pattern of idiocy is maddening.

i am in the total opposite state. feels like 1994 and san diego all over again. i'd bet most fans are taking this loss like me. devestated. and angry. and shocked.i can't even tell you how frustrated/angry i am with this coaching staff and their clock management ineptitude. cost us the ravens game for sure (and the #2 seed) and hurt us down the stretch tonight. i wouldn't go so far as to claim that Tomlin Must Go, but the pattern of idiocy is maddening.
I dont see at all how this is as angering or frustrating loss as the AFC championship game in 94. We just lost to an 8-8 in the wild card round. No way were the Stillers winning it all this year.

Sorry guys. At least you were there I guess. :shrug:

The one thing I got out of this and watching you guys the last 4 or so weeks was a blatant uncertainty of where to start postseason analysis.

How much of what happened is a function of the injuries rather than poor play? Usually I try to put my GM hat on and hypothetically point out fixes for teams, but for you guys there is a lot of stuff there that you have to determine is skewed or not. It's going to be a tough offseason for the Steelers' coaches.

The only thing that really stands out is more depth on the OL. I'm not sure how to rate the secondary because it seemed great all year.

It sucked to lose an exciting game, but I can't remember having lower expectations about a Steeler team entering the playoffs. Doesn't come close to '94 at all...I am still haunted by those four yards.I agree that Tomlin's clock management is disturbing, but not nearly on the same level as some other coaches.

My biggest worry is if Ben's mobility will ever return to normal.
It's a high ankle sprain. He will be fine next year.

This can't touch 94 in my opinion. It was a road game in the wild card rd. That was a home game to go to the super bowl. The team was never great on the road this year. They had one big time win, NE. The offense never clicked the way most thought it would. All 3 starting lineman were out for basically the entire game(I'm including Smith). Banged up Qb. Backup rb. Backup center.

This has almost nothing to do with the loss tonight but I think Wallace is overrated. He's a good WR but not the stud most think he is. Needs to be alot more aggressive going after balls and just didn't develop the way I thought he would.

Agreed with Hugh. Even if the Steelers pulled one out today they weren't going to limp their way through NE, BAL and GB or NO. Let's regroup for next year. Despite the game today I think there is alot to look forward to in the coming years.

We were never that great this year -so it should not be a surprise.

The injuries to Ben and the D gave them a chance and Tebow like he has done more than once hit the lottery.

Is it a crushing loss - ..NO WAY. We would have had to hit many a lottery to get to the dance and win. The injuries made that a mere pipe dream.

As long as we have Ben, an OL and some decent WR's, and our always good D we are a contender every year. Our bar is pretty high remember.

I agree with the feelings that we wouldn't have done much in the next round. That said, regarding next year, could the silver lining in all of this be that Arians walks? I know it's an old debate, and that there may never have been such a statistically successful O-coordinator who was so disliked by a teams' fanbase. Nevertheless, this is the second playoff game in a row (last year's superbowl and today) that presented a scenario for a possible win but in which the Steelers looked suddenly discombobulated.

'PhD said:
I agree with the feelings that we wouldn't have done much in the next round. That said, regarding next year, could the silver lining in all of this be that Arians walks? I know it's an old debate, and that there may never have been such a statistically successful O-coordinator who was so disliked by a teams' fanbase. Nevertheless, this is the second playoff game in a row (last year's superbowl and today) that presented a scenario for a possible win but in which the Steelers looked suddenly discombobulated.
One could only hope.

The two most important things when the season starts: The steelers to win the super bowl or anybody but the Patriots win the super bowl. My hate for New England is unhealthy and downright strange. So there's my rooting interests for the rest of the playoffs.

Buck up young men and root for the Raven's.

We are from the same mold so when we can't we need to know a team built the same way can.

This loss doesn't even come close to 94 but am a bit perplexed why they were in the same defensive scheme after Tebow had so much success in the 2nd quarter. Ike (and to a lesser extent Gay) were getting burnt consistently but we stayed in man coverage. I think we were badly outcoached.

With all of the injuries I am somewhat relieved to be out of the playoffs at this point. This team was just too banged up to go on the road and play the Patriots. Might as well have the higher draft position.

I am a Broncos and Texans fan this week. I know it probably won't happen but I am hoping one of these two teams can pull an upset next week.

This loss doesn't even come close to 94 but am a bit perplexed why they were in the same defensive scheme after Tebow had so much success in the 2nd quarter. Ike (and to a lesser extent Gay) were getting burnt consistently but we stayed in man coverage. I think we were badly outcoached.

With all of the injuries I am somewhat relieved to be out of the playoffs at this point. This team was just too banged up to go on the road and play the Patriots. Might as well have the higher draft position.

I am a Broncos and Texans fan this week. I know it probably won't happen but I am hoping one of these two teams can pull an upset next week.
And here I was rooting for the Steelers this week :P

As much as it was painful to watch and as much as I hate Tebow, I agree with the sentiment that this team wasn't going very far. They were far too banged up to make any real run. The defense yesterday was frustrating to watch, but I'll happily take the 24th pick and hopefully grab a stud OG.

I personally do not see anyone beating GB or the Saints, so I'm not sure it matters who comes out of the AFC. I'll root for the winner of the Texans/Ravens game.

Users who are viewing this thread