What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (2 Viewers)

Pretty big card on Showtime at 10 for once all the preseason games turn to garbage time: the two guys to watch are Deontay Wilder and Jermall Charlo. ESPN has FNF at 10 as well, but I'm not familiar with the fighters there.

Pretty big card on Showtime at 10 for once all the preseason games turn to garbage time: the two guys to watch are Deontay Wilder and Jermall Charlo. ESPN has FNF at 10 as well, but I'm not familiar with the fighters there.
[SIZE=12.727272033691406px]Thanks for mentioning this in that thread in the Shark Pool, hadnt been in the FFA yet today and forgot this was tonight. I remember watching Wilder in the 2008 Olympics. IIRC, he didnt start boxing til he was in high school so he was real raw but you could see the potential and power. I dont think Ive seen any of his pro fights, maybe one but its been at least a couple years. 28-0 with 28 KO's aint no joke![/SIZE]

Thanks for mentioning this in that thread in the Shark Pool, hadnt been in the FFA yet today and forgot this was tonight. I remember watching Wilder in the 2008 Olympics. IIRC, he didnt start boxing til he was in high school so he was real raw but you could see the potential and power. I dont think Ive seen any of his pro fights, maybe one but its been at least a couple years. 28-0 with 28 KO's aint no joke!
Ivemseen him destroy Audley Harrison and then there was this recent gem http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r0UHYLUddTg

Smith wasn't in great shape tonight, but the Charlo twins are such impressive prospects. Calm, poised, long, and super smart.

Gonna be hard for Wilder to really get enough experience to think he could beat a Klitschko if he keeps knocking fools out like this, but I think he could step in the ring right now and beat Fury, Povetkin, Arreola, basically anyone besides them. Adamek would be interesting.

Gonna be hard for Wilder to really get enough experience to think he could beat a Klitschko if he keeps knocking fools out like this, but I think he could step in the ring right now and beat Fury, Povetkin, Arreola, basically anyone besides them. Adamek would be interesting.
That was brutal today and a clear sign he needs a legit opponent. The guy tonight had a nice career, but he was well past his prime. Wilder has star potential and I get you it needs to be slowly developed, but he also needs tough fights. I did see he was trending on Twitter tonight which was cool and a sign that HW is still the king of boxing, even if its the worst division.

That was brutal today and a clear sign he needs a legit opponent. The guy tonight had a nice career, but he was well past his prime. Wilder has star potential and I get you it needs to be slowly developed, but he also needs tough fights. I did see he was trending on Twitter tonight which was cool and a sign that HW is still the king of boxing, even if its the worst division.
Oh, I understand bringing him along slow at first but not at this point. I actually thought he was a little younger than he was, I said last night he didnt start boxing until after high school but IIRC last night they it wasnt in/after college. He was that raw 5 years ago then, yet was still KO'ing guys in their blue headgear and good enough to win a Bronze medal with limited experience. He has been just as dominant as a pro. Its clearly time to give him some fights that at least test him a bit. I mean after a fight like last night and not even taking a punch, he might as well fight again in September.

Which brings me to the opposite side of the spectrum. I understand bringing Wilder along slow because he had limited amateur experience, but Gary Russell Jr has been brought along just as slow it seems and had a lengthy and notable amateur career. I think he broke his hand in March during that fight now that I think about it, but that doesnt mean he had to fight a guy last night who lost 6 fights in a row. If he's healthy, he's healthy. Its definitely time for him to step up the competition.

ETA: I didnt even realize he was on the undercard last night until they recapped things at the very end. I take it his fight wasnt aired during the telecast last night because the guy he fought really was that big of a bum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anything to see with these fights tonight? I dont even know what fights are being televised but saw HBO has something from events in 2 different places

Anything to see with these fights tonight? I dont even know what fights are being televised but saw HBO has something from events in 2 different places
Real good all around show, you watch? I was out of town and just caught up. I really hope we see Kovalez vs Adonis Stevenson in the next year.

Real good all around show, you watch? I was out of town and just caught up. I really hope we see Kovalez vs Adonis Stevenson in the next year.
Nah, I didnt. I ended up watching the 1st half of DEN/SEA as well as the UFC Sonnen/Shogun.

I didnt recognize any of the names on the HBO card(s), and Im basically in full on FF mode for the next couple weeks so I passed :lol:

Nah, I didnt. I ended up watching the 1st half of DEN/SEA as well as the UFC Sonnen/Shogun.

I didnt recognize any of the names on the HBO card(s), and Im basically in full on FF mode for the next couple weeks so I passed :lol:
Yeah, I'm pretty pumped for FF, but I can't get into preseason at all. It was a really really good card, all 3 fights were fun. Barker-Geale wasnt quite a FOTY nominee, but not too farboff. The only guy you need to really follow from it is Sergey Kovalev,he might be the best light heavyweight in the world.

Again, said it over and over, but it's only August and this has already been the best year if boxing I can remember in the last 10 years. People saying boxing is dead and boxing sucks are morons.

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped for FF, but I can't get into preseason at all. It was a really really good card, all 3 fights were fun. Barker-Geale wasnt quite a FOTY nominee, but not too farboff. The only guy you need to really follow from it is Sergey Kovalev,he might be the best light heavyweight in the world.

Again, said it over and over, but it's only August and this has already been the best year if boxing I can remember in the last 10 years. People saying boxing is dead and boxing sucks are morons.
GRRRREAT CARD last night

Sounds like GGG vs Curtis Stevens is on for some time late this year. It will last < 3 rounds and end up with someone seriously hurt. It's probably Stevens, but don't count him out, his one punch power is every bit as real as Golovkin.

Forgot, but FS1 has its debut of Monday night boxing, Olympian Terrell Gausha and Danny Jacobs on the card. BHop and Paulie Malignaggi on color commentary.

Good lord, Danny Jacobs looks nasty...explosive KO
Oh man.

As soon I read this I had a flashback. Searched this thread because I was certain I had made a post after seeing him before for the first time and being blown away by his skills, but I couldnt find it. Turns out I posted it on the only other message board I go to (My Morning Jacket's forum), where I had started a boxing thread about a year and a half before I started this one here. That post from June 30, 2009:

As I just said, I was watching Friday Night Fights on friday, and I first heard of another fighter that night besides Victor Ortiz. That fighter is Danny Jacobs.

Unlike Ortiz, Danny Jacobs really impressed me. I realize his opponent wasnt as good, but I push that to the wayside until the future. Jacobs is a 6'1'' middleweight out of Brooklyn. 4 Time Gold Gloves champ of NYC. He looks small, or at least lanky for a middleweight, but he has the speed of a welterweight and based on what I saw he looks destined for some big time fights. He's only been a pro for 18 months, but he's 17-0 (almost a fight every month?! are you kidding me?!!) after this fight a few days ago, with 15 KO's. In the FNF pre-fight interviews, he even said his KO statline isnt his style and he believes he is a speed fighter and speed kills, and he definitely stuck to that gameplan in his last fight. The WBA actually has him ranked as the #8 middleweight contender already.

It happens very rarely, but this guy made me a fan after 1 fight and I definitely wont miss his next one thats on TV.

I looked for a highlight clip on youtube, but couldnt find any. This is only 1 round from a previous fight, but I think it displays his speed and ability very well. Dude has skills: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIfoctdTwTE
[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]I have never seen him fight since then, never even heard his name mentioned since then, and never knew/researched why for some reason. Turns out his next fight after that was vs Ishe Smith (current light middle belt holder, on PBF-Canelo undercard) in which he won a UD and got the WBO middleweight title. However, apparently the biggest reason I havent heard his name in 4 years, which Im sure they mentioned a few times tonight, is because he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his spine and literally would have likely died had it been diagnosed only a few days later because of the rapid growth of the tumor. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Great/mindblowing/inspirational article from Iole at yahoo from late last year when Jacobs started his comeback here. that I just read and found all that out.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.818181991577148px]Unbelievable comeback. Needless to say Im rooting for Danny Jacobs and cant wait to see his next fight.[/SIZE]

Abner Mares on Showtime tonight, Mares is always must see.
Yeah, cant say Im all that excited for it though. Gonzalez is way past his titleholder days. I expect Mares to take care of him easily, and Vegas seems to agree as he's a -1300 favorite.

Anything to see with the undercard fight?

Yeah, cant say Im all that excited for it though. Gonzalez is way past his titleholder days. I expect Mares to take care of him easily, and Vegas seems to agree as he's a -1300 favorite.

Yeah, Leo Santa Cruz is a smaller version of Brandon Rios, he is a guy that's going to be headlining shows sooner rather than later.

Yeah, Leo Santa Cruz is a smaller version of Brandon Rios, he is a guy that's going to be headlining shows sooner rather than later.
Nice. That will definitely make me not miss it tonight then.

I cant say I was overly impressed with Santa Cruz, but the other dude's right eye looked horrible after 3 rounds. So that says something. The KO didnt look huge either, but Santa Cruz did what he was supposed to.

I cant say I was overly impressed with Santa Cruz, but the other dude's right eye looked horrible after 3 rounds. So that says something. The KO didnt look huge either, but Santa Cruz did what he was supposed to.
He is what he is, throws more punches than any other fighter at this level. He barrages you with combos ala Rios or Margarito. It's not the prettiest thing in the world, but he broke that tough Mexican champ down in 2 rounds.

I wish the ref would have given Mares a chance to make the count. With the end of the round just seconds away, Mares deserved another shot. That being said, he did look cooked.

While I thought today was a practice fight, I love seeing outcomes like this. Ive never been a Mares fan, but maybe this gives him another perspective.

Damn...Grandfather Gonzalez...wow.

I agree...give Mares shot at making the count...but he did get bombed.

Cris Arreola vs Seth Mitchell tonight. I missed Mitchell's last couple fights, one of which was his only loss, but dude has some power. One of these guys is getting KO'd tonight.

Rafael Marquez on the undercard. It feels like its been ages since Ive seen him fight.

Not surprised by this, just the same as if Mitchell KO'd Arreola this early.

At this point, I think Mitchell has been exposed as just a guy who can KO scrubs early. Arreola isnt great, but he's been in the ring a lot more than Mitchell.

Usually I err on the ref's side in the interest of fighter safety, but I think that was a quick stoppage. I'll say it. Let him finish out the 30 seconds, if he gets out of it unscathed, and let him at least get a break and get in to the 2nd round.

Usually I err on the ref's side in the interest of fighter safety, but I think that was a quick stoppage. I'll say it. Let him finish out the 30 seconds, if he gets out of it unscathed, and let him at least get a break and get in to the 2nd round.
I dont disagree, but having seen around 5 of Mitchell's fights, I dont think he was coming back here. He has a lot of power, but he's real raw and has little defense. Im pretty much indifferent on who won or it being an early decision, but probably happy Arreola won because he is the more dangerous of the 2 in the near future I think.

A fight between Arreola and Deontay Wilder would be VERY interesting to me, and while I love Wilder's talent, thats a big step up in talent compared to what he's been fighting. If Wilder fought Mitchell, Id expect it to end up being similar to tonight for Mitchell.

Users who are viewing this thread