What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*OFFICIAL* Thread: WIS X and the Cluster of Sim (2 Viewers)

SaveFerrisB said:
I really like the idea of trying the all time draft with the dice roll for which season you use. It's something we haven't done yet and I think it would be a lot of fun.Draft the all time best player. Give your top 6 years, 1-6. Roll a 6 sided dice and you get the corresponding year...GOLD!
This is an outstanding idea for a draft.
Rather than 25 individual rolls per team, which would turn three weeks of drafting into a game of Yahtzee, a better system would be to have each team sequence their players 1-25 in any order of their choosing. Player APlayer BPlayer C...Player YThen a single six sided roll would determine which season would be used for Player A; the number would increment for each successive player. Let's say you roll a three, you'd use the third best season from A, the fourth best from B and so on, ending with the fourth best season from player Y. We could use WIS salary as way of quantitatively ranking the seasons.This would provide more competitive balance because every team would have four or five "best" seasons and four or five sixth best. Sequencing the players before the roll would introduce another element of pseudo-strategic mumbo jumbo, particularly for players with a short stack of quality years.For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.

SaveFerrisB said:
I really like the idea of trying the all time draft with the dice roll for which season you use. It's something we haven't done yet and I think it would be a lot of fun.Draft the all time best player. Give your top 6 years, 1-6. Roll a 6 sided dice and you get the corresponding year...GOLD!
This is an outstanding idea for a draft.
Rather than 25 individual rolls per team, which would turn three weeks of drafting into a game of Yahtzee, a better system would be to have each team sequence their players 1-25 in any order of their choosing. Player APlayer BPlayer C...Player YThen a single six sided roll would determine which season would be used for Player A; the number would increment for each successive player. Let's say you roll a three, you'd use the third best season from A, the fourth best from B and so on, ending with the fourth best season from player Y. We could use WIS salary as way of quantitatively ranking the seasons.This would provide more competitive balance because every team would have four or five "best" seasons and four or five sixth best. Sequencing the players before the roll would introduce another element of pseudo-strategic mumbo jumbo, particularly for players with a short stack of quality years.For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.
The only problem with that is we need to roll as we pick because positions could vary. We could do it by round though. After the first round, roll and everyone picked in that round has to use the year rolled.

For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.
We've done these, and they're good, but I'd really prefer to try something new this time. Join the bandwagon, Eephus!

For the record, I still prefer a straight-up, short era draft. But if people want games of chance, I'll play along.
We've done these, and they're good, but I'd really prefer to try something new this time. Join the bandwagon, Eephus!
The way I see it, baseball IS a game of chance if you have a player that is inconsistent... if you have a player that delivers every year, no worries on the dice roll.

I would like to join this and am done for whatever but am intrigued by the idea of the dice roll for all time players.

The way I see it, baseball IS a game of chance if you have a player that is inconsistent... if you have a player that delivers every year, no worries on the dice roll.
Excellent point, my good man.

I am intrigued by DiceRoll X ... my question is this: how are the first- through sixth-best seasons determined? WIS salary? Drafter determines best seasons? Something else?

I am intrigued by DiceRoll X ... my question is this: how are the first- through sixth-best seasons determined? WIS salary? Drafter determines best seasons? Something else?
I think either one of those are fine. Drafter determines would be a little more complicated, but would give you more control over your player.

To best approximate a true baseball season - where essentially, you dont know what type of season you will get for a guy - these are my suggestions:

Have the owner pick the span of seasons to be used, at their discretion.

For batters, use at least a 7 year stretch of concecutive seasons. For pitchers, use a 5+ year consecutive stretch. I say at least because if a player had 11 out of 12 great seasons and one dud, he should be valued over someone with the same one dud but in only 7 seasons.

Then, roll your dice to see which season you get.

If we want, we can have some mulligan, an injury mulligan (or not) - just some thoughts.

Koya said:
To best approximate a true baseball season - where essentially, you dont know what type of season you will get for a guy - these are my suggestions:Have the owner pick the span of seasons to be used, at their discretion.For batters, use at least a 7 year stretch of concecutive seasons. For pitchers, use a 5+ year consecutive stretch. I say at least because if a player had 11 out of 12 great seasons and one dud, he should be valued over someone with the same one dud but in only 7 seasons.Then, roll your dice to see which season you get.If we want, we can have some mulligan, an injury mulligan (or not) - just some thoughts.
Definitely have to make provisions for injured seasons, getting a low PA season could be a killer. Salery seems like the best way around that since PA's have a major influence on that.

Koya said:
To best approximate a true baseball season - where essentially, you dont know what type of season you will get for a guy - these are my suggestions:Have the owner pick the span of seasons to be used, at their discretion.For batters, use at least a 7 year stretch of concecutive seasons. For pitchers, use a 5+ year consecutive stretch. I say at least because if a player had 11 out of 12 great seasons and one dud, he should be valued over someone with the same one dud but in only 7 seasons.Then, roll your dice to see which season you get.If we want, we can have some mulligan, an injury mulligan (or not) - just some thoughts.
Definitely have to make provisions for injured seasons, getting a low PA season could be a killer. Salery seems like the best way around that since PA's have a major influence on that.
:confused: If we go with random seasons, WIS Salary is the simplest and most verifiable system for ranking player seasons. Anything else will raise the cluster potential of this format.

Koya said:
:link: If we go with random seasons, WIS Salary is the simplest and most verifiable system for ranking player seasons. Anything else will raise the cluster potential of this format.
I'm good with this. Only risk is an awesome season that has fewer ABs may be left behind. But, if we know that up front, we have nothing to ##### about.

:rolleyes: If we go with random seasons, WIS Salary is the simplest and most verifiable system for ranking player seasons. Anything else will raise the cluster potential of this format.
But with pitchers, you run into the Eckersley problem. He has 5 elite closer seasons, none of which are anywhere near the top of his list in salary.I think the cluster potential of this format is high no matter what, and I'd rather be able to pick my own seasons if we did it.

I'm down with whatever but in real baseball injuries are a concern. Bad years are a concern. Don't pick a player who has off years and high spikes if you are risk averse... Just like real baseball. That is why I think the best approach is to have the owner pick which group of consecutive years - 5 or 7 for example - and then take your chances. Take a guy with consistently good seasons but no bad ones over 5 great years and two stinkers... Or shoot the moon if you prefer.

I'd be willing to track which seasons everyone picked on my spreadsheet to give us that flexibility. We can default to WIS salary if no years are provided.

I'm down with whatever but in real baseball injuries are a concern. Bad years are a concern. Don't pick a player who has off years and high spikes if you are risk averse... Just like real baseball. That is why I think the best approach is to have the owner pick which group of consecutive years - 5 or 7 for example - and then take your chances. Take a guy with consistently good seasons but no bad ones over 5 great years and two stinkers... Or shoot the moon if you prefer.
This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :lmao:

This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :lmao:
Whatever. Someone is going to have to break this down for me like I was a former cast member of the TV show Full House.

This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :shock:
Whatever. Someone is going to have to break this down for me like I was a former cast member of the TV show Full House.
Deej, it can be hard to understand, but I'll try. What they're wanting to do is have you pick 5 seasons and roll to determine which season you use. It makes this game of chance even more of a game of chance. Don't gamble, Deej, it's bad for you.Oh, and HOW WOODE!

MrPhoenix said:
This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :excited:
Deej, it can be hard to understand, but I'll try. What they're wanting to do is have you pick 5 seasons and roll to determine which season you use. It makes this game of chance even more of a game of chance. Don't gamble, Deej, it's bad for you.Oh, and HOW WOODE!
This ain't chance.It's Baseball.

Ok, it's sorta like baseball in some ways. Kinda maybe. But not chance.

Except the dice roll.

But that just makes it more like baseball.

Just joined WIS for a trial "mini season". :hookline....
You havn't experienced WIS until you have done SIM LIVE, FBG Style!
Go on...
For both simulated and in-season games, nerds like us can actually play our games out "live", allowing for substitutions, cues to have your guy try to steal a base, etc. It's fun when you're drunk and there's no BruceHost! It's a win-win!
Wow, :massiveerection:

MrPhoenix said:
This definitly adds some randomness that I think we are sometimes missing, I think it might be fun.I am in for whatever everyone else wants. Just do me a favor lets not spend the next month discussing options. Lets get this things going. :shrug:
This ain't chance.It's Baseball.

Ok, it's sorta like baseball in some ways. Kinda maybe. But not chance.

Except the dice roll.

But that just makes it more like baseball.
oh.

oh yeah, I'm totally in...

and the diceroll sounds great... I just think we should be able to pick the season, as with some guys we might want the season with fewer ABs...

So, is this what we're talking right now?

All time draft.

Upon picking a player, you give your 5 best (for a P) or 7 best (for a Pos. Player) season. Seasons will be put in year order from earliest to latest. (i.e. 94-00). Does not have to be consecutive years. If no years are given by the end of the round, the top 5 or 7 WIS salary seasons will be used for the player (again in order by year)

The draft would like this:

1.01 - Felix Fermin, SS (94-99,01)

At the end of the round, we'll do one dice roll for SPs and one for Pos. Players to determine which year is used. A "1" would be the earliest season, "2" 2nd earliest, etc.

So, is this what we're talking right now?All time draft.Upon picking a player, you give your 5 best (for a P) or 7 best (for a Pos. Player) season. Seasons will be put in year order from earliest to latest. (i.e. 94-00). Does not have to be consecutive years. If no years are given by the end of the round, the top 5 or 7 WIS salary seasons will be used for the player (again in order by year)The draft would like this:1.01 - Felix Fermin, SS (94-99,01)At the end of the round, we'll do one dice roll for SPs and one for Pos. Players to determine which year is used. A "1" would be the earliest season, "2" 2nd earliest, etc.
Outside of the 1st round has there ever been a round where there has not been at least one skip? Rolling at the end of each round might cause some issues.

So, is this what we're talking right now?All time draft.Upon picking a player, you give your 5 best (for a P) or 7 best (for a Pos. Player) season. Seasons will be put in year order from earliest to latest. (i.e. 94-00). Does not have to be consecutive years. If no years are given by the end of the round, the top 5 or 7 WIS salary seasons will be used for the player (again in order by year)The draft would like this:1.01 - Felix Fermin, SS (94-99,01)At the end of the round, we'll do one dice roll for SPs and one for Pos. Players to determine which year is used. A "1" would be the earliest season, "2" 2nd earliest, etc.
Outside of the 1st round has there ever been a round where there has not been at least one skip? Rolling at the end of each round might cause some issues.
This is a good point. Suggestions? Roll for each pick? I'm fine with that too.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Super Nintendo Chalmers said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
simple solution:you just wait to roll until everyone has picked thier pick for that round...So if I'm skipped in round 3 and I don't pick before round 4 starts, then we have to wait to roll until I pick for round 3...

Having a salery cap would add a similar amount of randomness to this dice rolling shtick(which is starting to sound overly complicated). I'm just sayin :shrug:

Notorious T.R.E. said:
Super Nintendo Chalmers said:
Notorious T.R.E. said:
simple solution:you just wait to roll until everyone has picked thier pick for that round...So if I'm skipped in round 3 and I don't pick before round 4 starts, then we have to wait to roll until I pick for round 3...
Some seem scared of the chance factor (which I like because it is most indicative of a real baseball season). I say wait to the end of the draft - or at least after say round 20 - because like real life, sometimes you get stuck with a ####ty season. Pick consistent guys without huge peak seasons if you are risk averse. Play GM, give yourself the best chance, and see how it pans out.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
I still prefer having to choose consecutive seasons, so there WILL be some stinkers in there - but you all seem too ####ified for that. :lmao:

Notorious T.R.E. said:
I still prefer having to choose consecutive seasons, so there WILL be some stinkers in there - but you all seem too ####ified for that. :whistle:
I'm ok with that. I was looking at this as more of a "best of alltime" draft where if you really pick the best players and their best seasons, you'll end up with a good team no matter what the dice say.Larry - the problem with waiting is we would have to put the whole draft on hold. Many times you wouldn't be able to make your next pick until you knew which year you were using for your previous pick. The player picked may play more than one position and if a certain position is picked, it might change your next pick.

Notorious T.R.E. said:
I still prefer having to choose consecutive seasons, so there WILL be some stinkers in there - but you all seem too ####ified for that. :excited:
I'm ok with that. I was looking at this as more of a "best of alltime" draft where if you really pick the best players and their best seasons, you'll end up with a good team no matter what the dice say.
I think that is what the randomness does. The truly best players won't have stinker years - not over a 5 or 7 year stretch for the most part. And the teams that had them in real life had to risk that Mantle would go off, or go on a bender/bend his knee the wrong way. Or you could have a player with 7 straight good to great years and no clunkers.The best team ever with no risk thing we have done like three different times it feels like.In the end, I will like whatever is chosen so whatever works for people will be ok with me.

SaveFerrisB said:
Having a salery cap would add a similar amount of randomness to this dice rolling shtick(which is starting to sound overly complicated). I'm just sayin :lmao:
Then I suppose my idea of picking six seasons from a player, and using each of those six seasons for 27 games each would be a cluster#### so obscene the Constitution would have to be amended specifically to prohibit it. :thumbup:
Wait, is Ferris in this thing? That would be awesome.Second, did I miss a reference before?

YAHTZEE!!!

I have a question... Is this free or is it for money? Either way it doesn't matter, I am real excited to try one of these.

2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)

2 Members: Kraft..., Super Nintendo Chalmers

:goodposting: SNC

This is who eephus has on the first page...plus, I've added names that have expressed interest.

Confirmed in:

1. Frosticillis

2. Marble Rye

3. WidBill83

4. Doctor Detroit

5. Greco

6. Spartans

7. Eephus

8. Koya

9. Doug B.

10. Tremendous Upside

11. Super Nintendo Chalmers

12. TRE

13. ianfitzy

14. LB44

15. Mr. Phoenix

16. The Gator

17. Kraft

Presumed In:

Sammy

Shake Zula

Wockenfuss

Interested?

Save Ferris

Horvy

Looks like we need to get about 8 more teams.

I think we should start to nail down the rules. It sounds like there are a couple of versions of the dice roll WIS floating about.

Input from the veterans committee would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is who eephus has on the first page...plus, I've added names that have expressed interest.Confirmed in:1. Frosticillis2. Marble Rye3. WidBill834. Doctor Detroit5. Greco6. Spartans7. Eephus8. Koya9. Doug B.10. Tremendous Upside11. Super Nintendo Chalmers12. TRE13. ianfitzy14. LB4415. Mr. Phoenix16. The GatorPresumed In:SammyShake ZulaWockenfussInterested?Save FerrisHorvyLooks like we need to get about 8 more teams.I think we should start to nail down the rules. It sounds like there are a couple of versions of the dice roll WIS floating about. Input from the veterans committee would be appreciated.
You know my ultimate preference - 5 or 7 consecutive seasons and the chance to get a clunker.That said, if its too much risk for folks, we can choose the best 7 seasons so you won't have any real clunkers in there. I don't know what to do about players who have split positions, however.

This is who eephus has on the first page...plus, I've added names that have expressed interest.Confirmed in:1. Frosticillis2. Marble Rye3. WidBill834. Doctor Detroit5. Greco6. Spartans7. Eephus8. Koya9. Doug B.10. Tremendous Upside11. Super Nintendo Chalmers12. TRE13. ianfitzy14. LB4415. Mr. Phoenix16. The GatorPresumed In:SammyShake ZulaWockenfussInterested?Save FerrisHorvyLooks like we need to get about 8 more teams.I think we should start to nail down the rules. It sounds like there are a couple of versions of the dice roll WIS floating about. Input from the veterans committee would be appreciated.
I'm IN, not listed :shock:

I vote for 5-7 consecutive seasons rather than cherry picking the best seasons. I think it will add more excitement to the draft because you have a chance to draft a player who could bust just like real life.

Users who are viewing this thread