What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*OFFICIAL* Thread: WIS X and the Cluster of Sim (3 Viewers)

Did the Disco Era have a Salary Cap?
:thumbup: A cap in a short era sim is pretty redundant. All a cap does is deplete the bench and tail end of the bullpen.The salary cap sim wasn't very much fun. Everybody filled their rosters with cheapo role players so nobody had depth to trade or alter their lineups. If we want more realistic rosters, short eras is a better way to do it than salary caps.

Doug B said:
I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
I know I'm always on the extreme end of this discussion, but I thought 5 was plenty and 4 would've worked. I'd like to keep it down to 7.

Doug B said:
I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
I know I'm always on the extreme end of this discussion, but I thought 5 was plenty and 4 would've worked. I'd like to keep it down to 7.
I think 120 team-seasons in the draft pool is about the minimum I'd support

What about Hoosfirst's idea, only using the years 1965-1985?
I could go along with this, although would rather do it without 1968ETA: A sim without Guidry '78 would be a nice change of pace
Have we done a strictly Golden Era sim? I know we did a hybrid Golden Era/Steroid Era WIS a while back (which was the one I was involved in besides WIS I and this one), but I'm not sure we did a sim for the Golden Era.

Doormat here. Congrats Eephus.

I want in for the next one. Whatever you guys decide is fine by me, but I'd like to skip the steriod era as my :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug B said:
Adding the extra years won't help with the one player per team scarcity for the expansion teams. Picking the 25th best Senator will be worse than a political thread in the FFA.
I had changed lanes without signalling -- I was proposing going to a full decade without having the "one per team" restriction.As much as I'm intrigued by "one per team", I think we need a longer period of time to make that work.

We should probably expect a pretty similarly sized player pool for 1961-67 as what we had for the Disco Era. The number of (teams X seasons) for 61-67 works out to 126 (7x18=126). This is almost identical to Sim IX which had 128 team seasons ((5 years X 26 teams)-2 (for 1976 sans Toronto & Seattle)=128).Does the one player per team add anything other than complexity to a short-era draft?
Nope ... just complexity ;)Also, some teams could get semi-screwed -- if you end up consistenntly missing out on the few good scraps from the 1960s cellar dwellars, you might field a team that's only 19-20 players deep.But then, I like the strategic decision of "reaching" for the Best Angel Available in the thrid round just because of scarcity. So it's not all that cut and dried for me....I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
Adding the extra years won't help with the one player per team scarcity for the expansion teams. Picking the 25th best Senator will be worse than a political thread in the FFA.
There are political threads in the FFA?

Greco said:
We should probably expect a pretty similarly sized player pool for 1961-67 as what we had for the Disco Era. The number of (teams X seasons) for 61-67 works out to 126 (7x18=126). This is almost identical to Sim IX which had 128 team seasons ((5 years X 26 teams)-2 (for 1976 sans Toronto & Seattle)=128).Does the one player per team add anything other than complexity to a short-era draft?
Nope ... just complexity :bag:Also, some teams could get semi-screwed -- if you end up consistenntly missing out on the few good scraps from the 1960s cellar dwellars, you might field a team that's only 19-20 players deep.But then, I like the strategic decision of "reaching" for the Best Angel Available in the thrid round just because of scarcity. So it's not all that cut and dried for me....I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
Quit pissing in the Political Forum, guy.

Greco said:
Nope ... just complexity :thumbup:Also, some teams could get semi-screwed -- if you end up consistenntly missing out on the few good scraps from the 1960s cellar dwellars, you might field a team that's only 19-20 players deep.But then, I like the strategic decision of "reaching" for the Best Angel Available in the thrid round just because of scarcity. So it's not all that cut and dried for me....I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
But it's so chathartic.

Nope ... just complexity :yes:Also, some teams could get semi-screwed -- if you end up consistenntly missing out on the few good scraps from the 1960s cellar dwellars, you might field a team that's only 19-20 players deep.But then, I like the strategic decision of "reaching" for the Best Angel Available in the thrid round just because of scarcity. So it's not all that cut and dried for me....I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
I personally like the idea of having to draft a Mendoza line SS. I'd rather have a "real-life" team as opposed to Walter Johnson pitching every third day.

Nope ... just complexity :thumbdown:Also, some teams could get semi-screwed -- if you end up consistenntly missing out on the few good scraps from the 1960s cellar dwellars, you might field a team that's only 19-20 players deep.But then, I like the strategic decision of "reaching" for the Best Angel Available in the thrid round just because of scarcity. So it's not all that cut and dried for me....I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
I personally like the idea of having to draft a Mendoza line SS. I'd rather have a "real-life" team as opposed to Walter Johnson pitching every third day.
I used Freddie Patek as an every day starter in Sim IX. You may like the concept of drafting a Mendoza line SS but the novelty wears off quickly.

Greco said:
Nope ... just complexity :rolleyes:Also, some teams could get semi-screwed -- if you end up consistenntly missing out on the few good scraps from the 1960s cellar dwellars, you might field a team that's only 19-20 players deep.But then, I like the strategic decision of "reaching" for the Best Angel Available in the thrid round just because of scarcity. So it's not all that cut and dried for me....I'd suggest adding in 1960 (or even 1959-60 ... or heck, a full decade: 1958-1967) if we're going to cut out 1968. IMHO, the player pool for the Disco Era was just a tad small. A few more seasons would loosen it up to a nice level.
But it's so chathartic.
C'mon, timschochet's shrink said that posting in political forums in mass quantities, whether it's their title or not, would probably keep him from serious psychological disorders down the road. Be nice.

Just saw this at WIS...

Added the Alternate WIS Format D & E schedule formats for theme league play. The schedules are 12 and 16 team leagues geared towards LIVE play that include interleague play for more matchup variety during the season.
:tumbleweed: :excited: :excited: I need more details, but this could make our dream of an all-live league come true.

Just saw this at WIS...

Added the Alternate WIS Format D & E schedule formats for theme league play. The schedules are 12 and 16 team leagues geared towards LIVE play that include interleague play for more matchup variety during the season.
:excited: :wub: :wub: I need more details, but this could make our dream of an all-live league come true.
Koya,This is what Christmas morning feels like!!
I feel like a Jew (with a christian step mother, scrapple waiting and x-mas stockings ready to go on the fire place) on Christmas, indeed!

if we can do a 12 or 16 team league... does that mean we can get another one off the ground here soon?

It has to be easier to get 12 guys or 16 guys than 24...

Users who are viewing this thread