What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****Official USFL Thread - gearing up for year 2 (1 Viewer)

If these leagues can get enough money behind them all they need is to be able to pay the high school recruits better than the colleges can to be successful. 

Be the first to pay that 5 star stud a cool million to come play QB for the Tampa Bay Bandits. 
USFL is a go-between league. They have one year to make their mark.

The XFL is expected to merge with the CFL and that could be considerable in time.

The Rock couldn't make it in the NFL and believes he can give guys a chance to shine and develop to someday play there. He's very much discussed being a minor league and met with the NFL about it. They have tentative agreements for 2023 too. 

The Spring League was a 10 day league that allowed NFL types to visit and either instruct drills or ask for drills to be run. They were also afforded time to meet with anyone. The NFL llllloved this. There were reps from 32 teams with positive comments attending practices...it was really a big deal to have some positivity with a minor league.

The CFL has made allowances for players to play and tryout for NFL teams and there's been a huge uptick in that the last few years.

Many believe USFL and XFL must concede something to the NFL to make any partnership work and that the Spring League and CFL have proven it must feed the NFLs collective ego.

A full blown challenging league like you state is nearly impossible right now. First they'd have to build for years.

Don't forget the biggest conferences are venerable paths to the NFL so a competitor would have to stop that path and...I don't see it

I'm lost on altfantasysports. I'm trying to run a league and there not showing what points the free agents scored last week. It makes it difficult to make a waiver claim. Is anyone familiar with altfantasysports?

USFL is a go-between league. They have one year to make their mark.

The XFL is expected to merge with the CFL and that could be considerable in time.

The Rock couldn't make it in the NFL and believes he can give guys a chance to shine and develop to someday play there. He's very much discussed being a minor league and met with the NFL about it. They have tentative agreements for 2023 too. 

The Spring League was a 10 day league that allowed NFL types to visit and either instruct drills or ask for drills to be run. They were also afforded time to meet with anyone. The NFL llllloved this. There were reps from 32 teams with positive comments attending practices...it was really a big deal to have some positivity with a minor league.

The CFL has made allowances for players to play and tryout for NFL teams and there's been a huge uptick in that the last few years.

Many believe USFL and XFL must concede something to the NFL to make any partnership work and that the Spring League and CFL have proven it must feed the NFLs collective ego.

A full blown challenging league like you state is nearly impossible right now. First they'd have to build for years.

Don't forget the biggest conferences are venerable paths to the NFL so a competitor would have to stop that path and...I don't see it
Not that classes or other extra-curricular activities are any kind of a deterrent for these guys, but my thought was a 5-star high school recruit who didn't really want the college experience could skip it and basically just go pro in one of these leagues.  For the right amount of $$$ I would imagine you could get more than a handful of kids to choose differently, which would make these leagues much more viable and eventually they become the choice.  Similar to baseball's model.

Not that classes or other extra-curricular activities are any kind of a deterrent for these guys, but my thought was a 5-star high school recruit who didn't really want the college experience could skip it and basically just go pro in one of these leagues.  For the right amount of $$$ I would imagine you could get more than a handful of kids to choose differently, which would make these leagues much more viable and eventually they become the choice.  Similar to baseball's model.
That stinks that that's an option...I understand. Kids gotta go to school but I get ya

Pretty good championship game. the 2nd half especially was very entertaining. Both starting QBs get knocked out and the backups keep it going, back and forth, right til the end. Some decent football in this USFL season. I fast forwarded through most of the games  but ended up watching the last bits of the 4th quarter in many games. They were competitive and entertaining.

the interview after the game with the defender Wright from Birmingham was cool. He said “after playing in 2 failed spring leagues, it’s nice to see this one all the way to the end and win the championship”.  That was cool. I’ve been rooting for a spring league to do well, not as any kind of competition with the NFL but as a COMPLIMENT to it. 

I expect a few players in this league to get a call to try out in the NFL and to me that’s the best outcome for these guys looking for their 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) chance to make it big. 

I guess next spring we’ll have two spring leagues to sort through with the XFL coming back. I hope they don’t devour each other and put them both out of business. 

I really thought I'd watch. I didn't. Not one game. Next to no interest when they rolled around. Not sure why. I love the game. I love the drama but in the end just didn't watch this league. I didn't watch the ones before either. It's NFL or none for me I guess. 

I really thought I'd watch. I didn't. Not one game. Next to no interest when they rolled around. Not sure why. I love the game. I love the drama but in the end just didn't watch this league. I didn't watch the ones before either. It's NFL or none for me I guess. 
For me it’s kinda of a “something on in the background” after the family is asleep. Then if the game looks interesting and close near the end I’ll pay attention. I just love football and I really like the idea of some diamonds in the rough getting noticed and another chance in the big leagues. 
I’ll be dumb enough to DVR both the USFL and XFL games next spring. :)  

BoltNlava said:
The league was held about an hour from our house. We gave passing thought to attending a game but didn’t. Kind of forgot about it until I saw the championship had been won. 
Gives me some pause whether I’d follow the NFL if I gave up FF. I follow college 🏈 and 🏀 (somewhat, mostly just my Jayhawks) but that’s it other than the NFL. 

Since the XFL 2.1 thread was bumped, I guess it’s time to bump this one as well since it starts up again in a month. Plenty of time for us to get that SharkPool USFL/XFL hybrid redraft fantasy league rolling. ;)

Since the XFL 2.1 thread was bumped, I guess it’s time to bump this one as well since it starts up again in a month. Plenty of time for us to get that SharkPool USFL/XFL hybrid redraft fantasy league rolling. ;)

[crickets]
yeah, me too. I don’t care about it. I still DVR the games and basically just fast forward thru them to see if any of the scores are interesting.

I feel like the timing of the XFL season is “better” than USFL, and that the XFL has more recognizable former-NFL names than the USFL a does. With the talent already diluted, I think these 2 leagues either need to combine or one needs to fold quickly so the other can thrive more as the main source of spring football and NFL player development.

back to crickets… ;)

Users who are viewing this thread