What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Washington Nationals ongoing thread (4 Viewers)

Some good moves. The Nationals are getting a reputation as a place for second chances that actually succeed. I think Dukes may be a bit more of a problem child than Young or Guillen but Milledge fits nicely in that effort. It was hard watching Church and Schneider struggle at the plate. I wish they could get Livan back to eat innings. Or better yet, few Livan types to allow the young pitchers a bit more time to develop.

Yeah I was surprised but definitely not sad to see old Double-Play Schneider hit the bricks.

They marketed that guy like he was Johnny f'n Bench

:lmao:

No weekday day games this season. The Nats said they are concerned about parking during a workday and want to give fans a year to get used to the stadium and traffic and streets. I really think Metro is going to be the main mode of transportation, though, even at night and on weekends.

I was all ready to hop 5 stops on the Metro from my job to some day games, but I guess I'll have to wait until '09.

Is this our thread for 2008, too, or should we start another one for our back-to-back run at 0.450?

Going to my first game at the new Nats park against the Mess next month. Looking forward to seeing the new digs.

Today in an interview Manny Acta said it's nice to not have "things running around on the floor" when he was asked about his office. I'm assuming he meant cockroaches at RFK but he could have meant midgets. :goodposting:

Going to my first game at the new Nats park against the Mess next month. Looking forward to seeing the new digs. Today in an interview Manny Acta said it's nice to not have "things running around on the floor" when he was asked about his office. I'm assuming he meant cockroaches at RFK but he could have meant midgets. :wolf:
He could also be referring to rats. RFK was infested with rats. Big ones.

Going to my first game at the new Nats park against the Mess next month. Looking forward to seeing the new digs. Today in an interview Manny Acta said it's nice to not have "things running around on the floor" when he was asked about his office. I'm assuming he meant cockroaches at RFK but he could have meant midgets. :wolf:
He could also be referring to rats. RFK was infested with rats. Big ones.
Ah, that would explain it.

Opening Day Roster

Lannan, Langerhans out; Estrada on DL; roster at 25

The Nationals made the following moves to set their regular-season roster:

C Johnny Estrada goes on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow tendinitis. The move is retroactive to March 21.

OF Ryan Langerhans was outrighted to Class AAA Columbus. He cleared waivers, and will roam the outfield there.

LHP John Lannan was optioned to Class AAA Columbus, but Manny Acta said he could be back soon depending on Shawn Hill's status.

INF Pete Orr was reassigned to Class AAA Columbus despite a very fine spring in which he hit .389.

RHP Chris Schroder was optioned to Class AAA Columbus.

So that leaves:

Catcher:

Jesus Flores

Paul Lo Duca

Infield:

Ronnie Belliard

Aaron Boone

Cristian Guzman

Nick Johnson

Felipe Lopez

Dmitri Young

Ryan Zimmerman

Outfield:

Elijah Dukes

Willie Harris

Austin Kearns

Rob Mackowiak

Lastings Milledge

Rotation:

Jason Bergmann

Matt Chico

Odalis Perez

Tim Redding

Bullpen:

Luis Ayala

Jesus Colome

Chad Cordero

Joel Hanrahan

Ray King

Jon Rauch

Saul Rivera

DL:

Johnny Estrada

Shawn Hill

Wily Mo Pena

Ladies and gentlemen, your 2008 Washington Nationals.

(Langerhans, Garrett Mock, Wil Nieves, Orr, Schroder and Mike O'Connor will all travel north with the team and be on hand as extras for Saturday night's exhibition at Nationals Park against the Orioles.)

JZilla said:
Capella said:
is that rotation for real?
No worse than last year5th starter will be Lannan I think.. he was sent down but he might be back real soon.. who the hell else are they gonna out out there? Me?Fugly.
I'll continue to say it - I like Bergmann this year, I think he'll surprise. If Hill comes back healthy they should have a solid top 2, but after that it looks pretty bad.

JZilla said:
Capella said:
is that rotation for real?
No worse than last year5th starter will be Lannan I think.. he was sent down but he might be back real soon.. who the hell else are they gonna out out there? Me?Fugly.
I'll continue to say it - I like Bergmann this year, I think he'll surprise. If Hill comes back healthy they should have a solid top 2, but after that it looks pretty bad.
I like Bergmann but.... I don't like him as the Ace :goodposting:

And now the great Dmitri Young/Nick Johnson battle begins. If only they'd had the foresight to trade Dmitri instead of signing him to a big extension. Shame.

Idiots.

Hey Nats insiders... I am in a H2H league and one of our pitching categories is holds; most owners in our league are ignoring Nats players and the holds category. I am considering picking up Rauch. How does he look, and how many innings do you think he'll get?

Anyone going to opening night? Just got my tickets today.
How did you like it? Stadium looked awesome on TV.Zimmerman = Clutch
Great place to watch baseball. I was in left field by the foul pole. It feels really small when you are in your seats (which is a good thing). The HD scoreboard is huge and quite remarkable. I have tickets through a pool by third base, up about 30 rows. The pictures from those seats I saw were excellent as well.From the outside, it looks like a conference center with parking garages. I think the whole feel of the stadium outside will be determined by how the 'hood develops. Note really notable from the outside.The concourses are big, lots of food places with a view of the field from all three levels. Feels a bit like a mall food court though. The post slammed it in its architectural review, which was a bit harsh but made some good points especially about how there was little openness to the street when you are on the concourses.I like to watch baseball, drink beer and eat hotdogs--from that perspective it was great. Really easy to get a beer. There is a nice bar in center field with a top-notch view of the field from the mezzanine level. I had a great time and the Zim homer capped off a real nice time. Unlike Fedex, you don't feel like you just worked a full day to see a game. No problems getting in or out. The walk to Capitol South isn't bad at all for orange / blue line riders if you don't want to change trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the whole feel of the stadium outside will be determined by how the 'hood develops.
I like what I've seen regarding plans for the neighborhood, but it's going to take a while.
The walk to Capitol South isn't bad at all for orange / blue line riders if you don't want to change trains.
Was there a considerable police presence all the way up to Capitol South? Was there a large enough crowd that most people would feel safe making that walk? I heard there was going to be a lot of cops around the park, but wasn't sure how far they'd stretch.

The walk to Capitol South isn't bad at all for orange / blue line riders if you don't want to change trains.
Yeah, but Red Line riders are going to have to change at Metro Center or Gallery Place and STILL walk.I think I'll try the RFK lots and the Nats Express if I go to a game.

dgreen said:
[

Was there a considerable police presence all the way up to Capitol South? Was there a large enough crowd that most people would feel safe making that walk? I heard there was going to be a lot of cops around the park, but wasn't sure how far they'd stretch.
A good many people on the way down to the stadium and huge crowd leaving. The first half of the walk is through a nice part of Capitol Hill, the second half is just empty, little development etc, highway underpass. It's not a bad part town any longer, just a big construction site. There were police but not a huge amount when you got away from the stadium. I don't think there are any safety concerns on games days. The walk takes about 15 minutes.Green line people didn't seem to have any problems aside from it being really busy. I probably could have made it home in about the same amount of time switching trains. Metro really came through this weekend. Road it to the cherry blossoms with kids in the morning too. The real test will come during the weekday games at rush hour when they don't have the extra cars to add to the green line.

5 runs in the top of the first. Bergmann only throws 8 pitches in the bottom of the first.

Top of the second, bases loaded, no outs.

How old is Moyer?

Wow, just checked the score. 3 errors by the Phils, so maybe the Nats aren't quite dominating but I'll take it

WTF is going on here? Not really the soon to be 4-0 start (which is surprising but any team could go on a hot stretch) but the Nationals terrible starting staff has now dominated the Braves for 1 game and the Phillies for 2.

Bad times

The shoddy pitching is really catching up with them for sure, last year's smoke & mirrors somehow kept them respectable but you cant keep that up for long.

The lack of offense, especially in the middle of the lineup, is a real killer right now. The stranding of baserunners is atrocious. That should pick up. They have good bats and I would expect them to start clicking a little bit. Not enough to keep them out of last place though. Just not a very good team.

I love this kid Nieves.. it's a shame there will be no room for him once crusty old Lo Duca comes back... why did we get that guy again?

Lannan is on fire. Too bad Chico and Bergmann are busts.

I am cautiously optimistic that these guys will keep playing ~.500 ball for a while

Went to the game today.. we had a great time. None of the miserable concession waits that Dr. D and I experienced a couple weeks ago. 72 and sunny, a perfect day, we had seats on the right field line 6 rows up. I highly recommend catching a weekend day game, it's really coming together at the new park (and the team is starting to win a little too).

We showed up early enough to catch the tail end of Pirates BP, and I JUST missed a foul ball... shameful.. it broke my fingernail.. If I was an inch taller or weighed 20 lbs less Id've had it. All was not lost though; this kind gentleman tossed us a ball, which was pretty sweet for the kids. They also got an autograph from the mighty Saul Rivera.

Went to the game today.. we had a great time. None of the miserable concession waits that Dr. D and I experienced a couple weeks ago. 72 and sunny, a perfect day, we had seats on the right field line 6 rows up. I highly recommend catching a weekend day game, it's really coming together at the new park (and the team is starting to win a little too).

We showed up early enough to catch the tail end of Pirates BP, and I JUST missed a foul ball... shameful.. it broke my fingernail.. If I was an inch taller or weighed 20 lbs less Id've had it. All was not lost though; this kind gentleman tossed us a ball, which was pretty sweet for the kids. They also got an autograph from the mighty Saul Rivera.
:D Did you guys go to the video game/theme thing in LF? One thing about that park is that it is and will be very family friendly. Glad to hear you had a good time gb.

:D Did you guys go to the video game/theme thing in LF? One thing about that park is that it is and will be very family friendly. Glad to hear you had a good time gb.
We went into that arcade for a little while.. it looked like they had some sort of Guitar Hero competition going on and I tried to get my older daughter to play but she didn't have the guts. The karaoke game was so much louder than everything else anyway, seemed like GH would have been pretty difficult. The younger kid did get the Build-A-Bear of course.I guess people were a lot hungrier when you and I went at night... I spent hardly any time at all in line, and we bought a lot of crap.

I went yesterday, too. I took my daughter and my plan was to just pick up some $5 grandstand seats. Unfortunately, they were sold out of those. No problem, I'll get some $10 seats. Nope, those were gone too. After failing to get 2 seats together in two of the $18 sections, I finally found two together in the last $18 section with tickets available.

Other than spending $26 more on tickets than I wanted to, everything was great. I had my first Ben's halfsmoke. Even though it was a little cold by the time I sat down to eat it, it was still good. Next time, I'll just pick up a Ben's halfsmoke at one of the Nats Dogs stands by my seats so I can eat it quicker. The fries weren't all that good, though. Maybe next time I'll combine a halfsmoke with some 5 Guys fries? Overall, the food choices are great.

While I'm totally a free market guy, I wish they hadn't let that one building be built so tall on Half St. between the stadium and the Capitol. It really obstructs what could be a much better view. Still, some great views of the city and the game. I can't wait for the neighborhood as a whole to turn around.

We sat in our seats for the first three innings, walked around for a couple innings, then sat in some different seats the last few innings. Along with the arcade and Build-a-Screech, there's a playground and moonbounce for kids. Unfortunately for my daughter, the playground was closed when we walked by in the 9th. Next time, we'll have to get there early to do stuff like that (and get $5 seats).

The Red Porch and Red Loft looked like really cool places to hang out. They really need to start selling standing room only tickets. A couple thousand people end up watching the game from various standing spots anyway.

Oh, and they're winning, which is always nice.

I went yesterday, too. I took my daughter and my plan was to just pick up some $5 grandstand seats. Unfortunately, they were sold out of those. No problem, I'll get some $10 seats. Nope, those were gone too. After failing to get 2 seats together in two of the $18 sections, I finally found two together in the last $18 section with tickets available.Other than spending $26 more on tickets than I wanted to, everything was great. I had my first Ben's halfsmoke. Even though it was a little cold by the time I sat down to eat it, it was still good. Next time, I'll just pick up a Ben's halfsmoke at one of the Nats Dogs stands by my seats so I can eat it quicker. The fries weren't all that good, though. Maybe next time I'll combine a halfsmoke with some 5 Guys fries? Overall, the food choices are great.While I'm totally a free market guy, I wish they hadn't let that one building be built so tall on Half St. between the stadium and the Capitol. It really obstructs what could be a much better view. Still, some great views of the city and the game. I can't wait for the neighborhood as a whole to turn around.We sat in our seats for the first three innings, walked around for a couple innings, then sat in some different seats the last few innings. Along with the arcade and Build-a-Screech, there's a playground and moonbounce for kids. Unfortunately for my daughter, the playground was closed when we walked by in the 9th. Next time, we'll have to get there early to do stuff like that (and get $5 seats).The Red Porch and Red Loft looked like really cool places to hang out. They really need to start selling standing room only tickets. A couple thousand people end up watching the game from various standing spots anyway.Oh, and they're winning, which is always nice.
It would also be nice if they moved people into those Presidential Seats down behind home after the game started so the best seats in the park weren't empty most of the time against teams like the Pirates and other scrub teams. I understand the high rollers need there seats, but if they don't show by the 3rd inning, let the peons sit down there and enjoy the game.

Here's a decent article about attendance so far, and Jack Abramoff's role in the vacant seats behind home

WASHINGTON – Stan Kasten’s two families converged this week. Down south, his daughter graduated from the University of Florida. And here, where he’s president of the Washington Nationals, his baby turned a month old.Nationals Park, the city’s $611 million gift to bring baseball back after a 34-year hiatus, is a perfectly acceptable new stadium. It is not transcendent like its Beltway neighbor, Camden Yards in Baltimore, and not a billion-dollar homage to gluttony like the new Yankee Stadium will be. It is a good place to take the family for $5 a ticket, grab a drink in the packed center-field bar, watch a footrace involving people wearing giant foam heads of dead presidents, ogle the HD video screen and soak in a gorgeous day like Sunday, when the sun beamed, a breeze whistled through the Southeast and the game-time temperature registered at 72.Not even the perfect afternoon could fill the stadium for the second time, and it may be a while until the Nationals play to another sellout. Since packing Nationals Park on Opening Day and watching Ryan Zimmerman christen it with a game-ending home run, fans have been curiously absent. On Sunday, the Nationals’ announced paid attendance was 30,564, just above the 41,222-seat stadium’s average of 29,686 that ranks in the bottom half of baseball.“Our attendance has been terrific,” Kasten said. “Whether people are sitting in those seats or not, more and more are coming in.”Kasten is either an optimist, a great façade builder or a man with a plan he doesn’t want to share – or, perhaps, all three. Because his public stance on the new stadium falling short of anticipated attendance is surprisingly calm, even when small pieces of evidence stack into one worrisome situation.The Nationals’ season-ticket base, though up from 15,000 last season to 18,000, remains significantly short of the 22,500 sold during their first season in 2005 after moving from Montreal. They’re almost guaranteed to finish with the worst attendance in all numbers – total, average and percentage – for a new stadium since Cincinnati opened Great American Ball Park in 2003. In Washington’s low point, the second game in Nationals Park actually had worse attendance than the second game at decrepit RFK Stadium last year.“Sounds like you’re a lot more concerned about this than me,” Kasten said.Perhaps so, though Kasten can’t ignore the games on television where it looks as though the Nationals are playing to a crowd of ushers. The President seats, positioned behind home plate, go for more than $300 apiece, and they’re selling like underwear at a nudist colony. Every pitch, the view is the same: hitter, catcher, umpire and about 25 of their unoccupied blue friends.There are explanations. The NHL’s Capitals and NBA’s Wizards each made playoff runs in the same season for the first time in more than two decades. The weather, especially for the Nationals’ second game, was miserable. More than anything, though, an unlikely culprit can account for the paltry behind-the-plate attendance.Part of Washington’s allure, when Major League Baseball planned the move from Montreal, involved the potential fan base. Smart, fanatical and, best of all, with loads of disposable income.Then Jack Abramoff tried to buy off all of Washington. New lobbying laws soon followed, and now the maximum gift given to a lawmaker cannot exceed $50. Which means all the Presidential tickets – $325 for single-game ones, $335 on Saturday and $400 for the front row, all more than the best seat at Yankee Stadium, which goes for $250 – that should have gone from lobbyist to Congressman to hard-working staffer no longer exist, and the market won’t get any hotter unless the Nationals do, too.“That’s a factor,” Kasten said. “The economy is a factor. Where we are in our development cycle in our team is a factor. I don’t think (we’re going to lower ticket prices). Not really. It’s not something we’re anticipating.“It’s clear to me that when we turn the corner as a team, they’ll come.”And this, more than anything, inspires Kasten’s calmness. He sees improvement at the major-league level, Sunday’s 5-2 win against Pittsburgh was the Nationals’ eighth in 10 games. He understands contending this year is a long shot. There’s not enough talent. The Nationals are Zimmerman and enough question marks to outfit the Riddler.Their farm system is more an exclamation point. Since taking over in 2006, Kasten has made rebuilding the Nationals’ farm system a priority. One of his first hires was Mike Rizzo, the scouting impresario who ran the Arizona Diamondbacks’ drafts that have borne perhaps the best team in baseball. In last year’s draft, the Nationals reloaded a system that had gone dry, and now, Kasten said with pride, the cumulative record of Washington’s minor-league affiliates is the fourth best in baseball.The evolution of Washington’s franchise will be one of the big stories in baseball over the next five years. With any success, the President seats will start selling, and the $400,000-a-year suites that are two-thirds sold will be the hottest non-Redskins ticket in town, and between the gate receipts and the money from the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network, the Nationals will turn into a financial powerhouse.From there, they’ll pick up a hole-plugging free agent or two. Never a huge contract, because, as Kasten said, “I don’t have to remind you how fraught with peril the haphazard pursuit of free agency is.”Translation: We don’t need a Barry Zito.For now, the Nationals want to make the present as palatable as possible. They use gimmicks to help create what Kasten deems “an experience” – kids standing at each position on the field when the Nationals run out for the first inning, the Presidents Race where George and Abe go head to head and other such events that both enhance the entertainment and take away from the fact that the baseball isn’t quite there.“It’s going to happen,” Kasten said. “I don’t know which comes first. But neither one depends on the other. We’re going to continue to have the best experience we can at the ballpark. At the same time we’re building a franchise.”Kasten has time. His baby is only a month old. He can only hope it starts walking sooner than later.

I'm not sure about most new ballparks, but this new ballpark is directly in the middle of a huge pile of crap. There is absolutely nothing to do within a short walk of the stadium. There is no "I happened to be in the neighborhood" reason for attending a game. You either make plans to go or you don't go.

Most of the fans seem to be the outer burbs. I got on the Orange line in Vienna. The platform was full like a weekday morning; it was packed with riders. We picked up quite a few people at Dunn Loring, W. Falls Church, and E. Falls Church and were packed like sardines at that point. By the time we entered Arlington and into DC, there were only a handful of people trying to get on at each stop. It seems the majority of the people going aren't really close to the stadium and have absolutely no reason to be really close to the stadium unless they are going to a game.

Planning to go to a game isn't just saying, "Hey, let's go to a game for a couple hours." It's, "Let's take the kids to a game. We'll leave our house at 12 to get to the Metro by 12:30 to get to the park by 1:15 to get in our seats by 1:35 for the first pitch. Then, when the game is over at 4 to 4:30, we'll head back and be home by 6 for dinner." It's nearly a 6-hour affair for a family in the burbs, which, based on my scientific survey, seems to be the main customer.

I'll admit attendance has been a little disappointing. But, this is DC. DC always has 1000 things happening at once. It's an event town and a Tuesday night game against the Marlins or a Sunday afternoon game against the Pirates simply aren't big events. I believe the only sellouts have been the first game back at RFK, the opener this year, and the three Yankees games a couple years ago. Those were all events to see and be seen. Add on to all of this that this is still a young franchise with no deep routed fan base and you aren't going to pack the house on a regular basis.

I went yesterday, too. I took my daughter and my plan was to just pick up some $5 grandstand seats. Unfortunately, they were sold out of those. No problem, I'll get some $10 seats. Nope, those were gone too. After failing to get 2 seats together in two of the $18 sections, I finally found two together in the last $18 section with tickets available.Other than spending $26 more on tickets than I wanted to, everything was great. I had my first Ben's halfsmoke. Even though it was a little cold by the time I sat down to eat it, it was still good. Next time, I'll just pick up a Ben's halfsmoke at one of the Nats Dogs stands by my seats so I can eat it quicker. The fries weren't all that good, though. Maybe next time I'll combine a halfsmoke with some 5 Guys fries? Overall, the food choices are great.While I'm totally a free market guy, I wish they hadn't let that one building be built so tall on Half St. between the stadium and the Capitol. It really obstructs what could be a much better view. Still, some great views of the city and the game. I can't wait for the neighborhood as a whole to turn around.We sat in our seats for the first three innings, walked around for a couple innings, then sat in some different seats the last few innings. Along with the arcade and Build-a-Screech, there's a playground and moonbounce for kids. Unfortunately for my daughter, the playground was closed when we walked by in the 9th. Next time, we'll have to get there early to do stuff like that (and get $5 seats).The Red Porch and Red Loft looked like really cool places to hang out. They really need to start selling standing room only tickets. A couple thousand people end up watching the game from various standing spots anyway.Oh, and they're winning, which is always nice.
It would also be nice if they moved people into those Presidential Seats down behind home after the game started so the best seats in the park weren't empty most of the time against teams like the Pirates and other scrub teams. I understand the high rollers need there seats, but if they don't show by the 3rd inning, let the peons sit down there and enjoy the game.
That is embarrassing to have all those empty seats. I doubt they'd ever let someone slip into those seats. It was pretty easy to buy a $5 seat at RFK and sit in the lower level. The section ushers seemed to be a little more attentive yesterday, so I'm not sure how easy it is to slip into the 100 level sections with a 400 level ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread