What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official WIS Sim XIII Draft Thread - The HoVG (3 Viewers)

I am considering this with a friend, but I need to know what the timing of the draft is- how long we have, etc. THX

No skips in the 1st, usually a 2 hour clock to start, then everyone usually gets pissy and we start getting down to 1 hour, then towards the end, we're so sick of drafting it's usually a half hour clock.

Predrafts are certainly welcome, though.

No skips in the 1st, usually a 2 hour clock to start, then everyone usually gets pissy and we start getting down to 1 hour, then towards the end, we're so sick of drafting it's usually a half hour clock.Predrafts are certainly welcome, though.
How many rounds? When does the clock start and when does it stop?When would the draft start?What minimum positions are we supposed to draft?What are the measurables being used for running the season? What's all this about drafting a stadium and a manager?All new to me, so any info would be helpful. That website has advice but I can't find the rules. TIA\

Responses inline.

No skips in the 1st, usually a 2 hour clock to start, then everyone usually gets pissy and we start getting down to 1 hour, then towards the end, we're so sick of drafting it's usually a half hour clock.Predrafts are certainly welcome, though.
How many rounds? 25 rounds (24 in serpentine format and the 25th in a free for all)When does the clock start and when does it stop? typically runs during local weekday business hoursWhen would the draft start? This week hopefullyWhat minimum positions are we supposed to draft? You need to field a team over a 162 game simulated season. See the OP for links to some basic info about WISWhat are the measurables being used for running the season? wins and losses. WIS simulates three games/day during the season. You can also Sim Live games in any sequence.What's all this about drafting a stadium and a manager? Any MLB ballpark used between 1893 and 2003 is eligible. I'll post the WIS ballpark effects once we get rolling. You can configure your manager for aggressiveness, pinch hitting preferences, maximum pitch counts, etc.All new to me, so any info would be helpful. That website has advice but I can't find the rules. TIA\

Looks like a whole lot of fun, but I'm just tied to too many things right now. Maybe next time, guys. Have fun with it!

I'll ask a guy at work tomorrow who might be interested. Vadrama who has played with us before might be up, I'll ask him also.

Please contact me at the BZ baseball message board for the draft during business hours. Or if you are bored and want to amuse me, I'll accept your company.

1. BougD (5)

2. Kraft (6)

3. Dr. Detroit (9)

4. Arsenal of Doom (12)

5. Koya (18)

6. JFranco (19)

7. Grecospeare (23)

8. Mr.Phoenix (28)

9. Dungeon Master (29)

10. SNC (30)

11. HoosFirst (37)

12. Sammy (41)

13.SCBF (47)

14. Larry Boy (55)

15. Shakespeare II (70, won tiebreak)

16. Eephus (70)

17. Dirty Pskov (71)

18. RnR (75)

19. Pump (79)

20. Doug B (89)

21. TU (93)

22. Bogart (93, requested to be behind TU)

23. Sparty (94)

24. ????

I guess Doug B can pick at anytime?

seems like a format Oso would be all over :rolleyes:
thanks for the PMs guys. do like the format. only concern is starting a new job next week and not sure about the strictness of web access at new company. on the other hand, i do have a Blackberry now, so could keep up with the draft that way. are you really starting today?

I guess Doug B can pick at anytime?
Can I?...Quick help to save me some time: does anyone have a handy bare-bones list of MLB HOFers? Or a link to one?I can definitely scrounge one up, but if someone already has one handy, it'll save me time.

seems like a format Oso would be all over :rolleyes:
thanks for the PMs guys. do like the format. only concern is starting a new job next week and not sure about the strictness of web access at new company. on the other hand, i do have a Blackberry now, so could keep up with the draft that way. Are you really starting today?
My opinion: it's more important to get the league filled and give you a chance to roll for draft position than it is to start drafting right this second.

question: in the last one of these i played in, we did a die roll to determine which season we would get for a given player. doesn't look like this is part of it. so does the drafter just select which season he wants? and i assume that once a player is drafted, and a season selected, that the same player for a different season couldn't also be picked.

question: in the last one of these i played in, we did a die roll to determine which season we would get for a given player. doesn't look like this is part of it. so does the drafter just select which season he wants? and i assume that once a player is drafted, and a season selected, that the same player for a different season couldn't also be picked.
correct

no dice rolls, you pick the year you want and no clones(I.E. a player can only be drafted once)

no dice rolls, you pick the year you want and no clones(I.E. a player can only be drafted once)
hmmm... so this will be a significant exercise in finding stud single seasons in the WIS database, not about picking the best available actual baseball players. i take it back: i don't like this format. hadn't thought it through. given this, and the new job thing, will have to pass once again. I have a prepared draft list for "best baseball players", but i don't have and won't be able to build a draft list for best WIS seasons.sorry, but thanks again for the invitation.

Everyone, congrats on finally making this thing too complicated for even the hardest of hardcore.

Signed,

Guy who wanted 1 player per team from 1977-current.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone, congrats on finally making this thing too complicated for even the hardest of hardcore.

Signed,

:kicksrock: Oso's objection is to sim-fishing, it seems. 1977-current format is still a sim-fish.

seems like a format Oso would be all over :lmao:
thanks for the PMs guys. do like the format. only concern is starting a new job next week and not sure about the strictness of web access at new company. on the other hand, i do have a Blackberry now, so could keep up with the draft that way. Are you really starting today?
My opinion: it's more important to get the league filled and give you a chance to roll for draft position than it is to start drafting right this second.
If somebody wants to join in, they can roll and get slotted into the draft order. If we're still one short by the time Mr Phoenix gets back, he'll fill the league.

Signed,

:shrug: Oso's objection is to sim-fishing, it seems. 1977-current format is still a sim-fish.
Kind of, but it's much easier to search for 1977 to 2009 and just pick the best players there. With this, you have to search, then go back here and check to see if that player is excluded. Kind of a pain.

No sense in arguing our choice afterwards.

Let's focus on getting that 24th member.

Signed,

:shrug: Oso's objection is to sim-fishing, it seems. 1977-current format is still a sim-fish.
Kind of, but it's much easier to search for 1977 to 2009 and just pick the best players there. With this, you have to search, then go back here and check to see if that player is excluded. Kind of a pain.
Quick way of seeing if a player is a HOF'er: In search, click the number to the far left, this will take you to the players baseball reference page. On the baseball ref page there will be a hall of fame banner near the top of that page. If you see that the player is not eligible. This won't include the cheaters but there aren't that many of them to remember(especially for those of us that have seen Eight men out a few dozen times).WA LA!

I just put the list of HOFers into Excel in the "LastName, FirstName" format. VLOOKUP takes care of determining if someone is in the Hall.

Quick way of seeing if a player is a HOF'er: In search, click the number to the far left, this will take you to the players baseball reference page. On the baseball ref page there will be a hall of fame banner near the top of that page. If you see that the player is not eligible. This won't include the cheaters but there aren't that many of them to remember(especially for those of us that have seen Eight men out a few dozen times).WA LA!
The hardest part, though I am managing to do it, is ferreting out the guys who have retired too late to eligible yet.What is the last-year-played cut-off? 2003 or 2004?

The hardest part, though I am managing to do it, is ferreting out the guys who have retired too late to eligible yet.What is the last-year-played cut-off? 2003 or 2004?
2003. Rickey Henderson's last year (so far)2004 retirees will have their first shot at HoF induction next year. I thought about adding 2004-2008 retirees to post #3 but I couldn't find a good list on B-R or elsewhere. If anybody knows where to find this, please shoot me a link.ETA: found a list of recent retirees and added to post #3

Isnt it simple enough to look at a plahyers last year played before drafting him, and then having the crew check to make sure its kosher? If a player played in 2004, he is not eligible. We must have a list?

Isnt it simple enough to look at a plahyers last year played before drafting him, and then having the crew check to make sure its kosher? If a player played in 2004, he is not eligible. We must have a list?
;) Yeah, what you suggest will pretty much suffice. I'm glad Eephus posted a list all the same.

I'm not using the WIS Draft Center. Instead, I am whittling down my WIS XII lists (which is just WIS Draft Center data poured into Excel). So knowing who the recent retirees are, below the star-level players, allows me to have a "perfect" draft list.

:blackdot: Yeah, what you suggest will pretty much suffice. I'm glad Eephus posted a list all the same.

I'm not using the WIS Draft Center. Instead, I am whittling down my WIS XII lists (which is just WIS Draft Center data poured into Excel). So knowing who the recent retirees are, below the star-level players, allows me to have a "perfect" draft list.
will you be sharing DOUGBSHEET?

:blackdot: Yeah, what you suggest will pretty much suffice. I'm glad Eephus posted a list all the same.

Keep in mind the 2004-2008 retirees list is not complete. I got the list from the HoF website but it only includes players who met the length of career criteria for being on the ballot. A player who had a brief career ending in 2006 wouldn't appear in post #3 but would still be ineligible for this sim.

Keep in mind the 2004-2008 retirees list is not complete. I got the list from the HoF website but it only includes players who met the length of career criteria for being on the ballot. A player who had a brief career ending in 2006 wouldn't appear in post #3 but would still be ineligible for this sim.
That's OK ... it made it easier to weed out the better 2000s guys.

1 . 2 ( 2 ) Kraft : Mike Scott SP

A few elite pitchers and i wanted one of them, stings not to take a bat though :blackdot:

A few elite pitchers and i wanted one of them, stings not to take a bat though :sadbanana:
I haven't had time to start researching yet but my guess based on the six season dice roll league is that there will less pitching scarcity than hitting

A few elite pitchers and i wanted one of them, stings not to take a bat though :sadbanana:
I haven't had time to start researching yet but my guess based on the six season dice roll league is that there will less pitching scarcity than hitting
actually its about the same, but once we get past the first 2 rounds it won't really matter. There are a few sim-fish hitting years, but generally the HOF-voters have taken all the good guys especially offensive guys at non-1B/OF positions. There are generally more sim-fish pitching years, but there are more of them. So net-net the values of the hitters and pitchers evens out.

Sammy3469 said:
Eephus said:
Kraft... said:

A few elite pitchers and i wanted one of them, stings not to take a bat though :confused:
actually its about the same, but once we get past the first 2 rounds it won't really matter. There are a few sim-fish hitting years, but generally the HOF-voters have taken all the good guys especially offensive guys at non-1B/OF positions. There are generally more sim-fish pitching years, but there are more of them. So net-net the values of the hitters and pitchers evens out.
The HoF voters aversion to RPs should make that position pretty much the same as any other all-time leeg

Sammy3469 said:
Eephus said:
Kraft... said:

A few elite pitchers and i wanted one of them, stings not to take a bat though :rolleyes:
The HoF voters aversion to RPs should make that position pretty much the same as any other all-time leeg
Not quite the same since most elite seasons are ineligible since they are HOF-ineligible (post 2003 retirement), but since all the elite season have been eliminated, the position holding the same relative value as in drafts past. Put it this way, unlike previous drafts when there were clearly wrong picks after the first 3 rounds, its virutally impossible to mess up this time around since most guys have negible value.

I need to look over some stuff before picking. I honestly thought Rosen would be available at #3 and the two guys who I thought would go 1 and 2 are still available so I have to figure out if I want to go hitter or pitcher.

Users who are viewing this thread