What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ogunleye Says Panthers Over-Hyped (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Bears' Ogunleye Says Panthers Are Over-Hyped

By ANDREW SELIGMAN, AP

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (Jan. 9) - The way Adewale Ogunleye sees it, he's not putting down the Carolina Panthers; he's just building up his own team.

In doing so, the Chicago Bears' defensive end said Monday that Carolina was overhyped entering their first meeting in November and is getting a little too much praise heading into Sunday's second-round playoff game at Soldier Field.

"You know they had all the hype coming into the game and we felt they didn't deserve it," Ogunleye said. "And I think again, they have a lot more hype than they should, and we're going to continue to play as hard as we can. I'm not downplaying the Carolina Panthers, but I'm up-playing us."

Ogunleye wasn't necessarily trying to start a controversy. He just seemed to be sending out a reminder that the Bears dominated Carolina 13-3 Nov. 20 at Soldier Field.

It was a defining victory, one that confirmed they were a force in the NFC.

"A lot was put into that game," safety Mike Brown said. "A lot of people thought Carolina was going to come in and have their way with us. I think after that game is when people realized we're a good football team."

Safety Chris Harris said: "We always felt like we were legitimate contenders. We don't have to prove anything to anybody but ourselves, but we knew we had the team. We just wanted the rest of the world to know."

The Bears had won five straight but had not beaten a team with a winning record during that streak. Then, they sacked Jake Delhomme eight times, and Nathan Vasher had two interceptions to set up a touchdown and a field goal.

Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith caught 14 passes for 169 yards, but the running backs ran for just 55. And the Bears offensive line neutralized defensive ends Julius Peppers and Mike Rucker, holding them to a combined three tackles.

It was, arguably, the Bears best effort of the season.

"It was a really good effort, real intense out there, a lot of people making plays," Brown said. "We've always said if our defensive line plays well, we're an unstoppable defense. Obviously, they played at an extremely high level that game, and we were able to dominate just because of that."

Now, they meet again - the Bears after a first-round playoff bye and the Panthers after shutting out the New York Giants 23-0. The first road team to score a playoff shutout since 1980, Carolina ran right at a linebacking corps hit by injuries, and the defense forced five turnovers.

"I expect to encounter a fired up team," said Bears wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad, a longtime Panther.

He called Carolina coach John Fox a "kill-you-with-kindness guy." But the Panthers showed no mercy against the Giants.

DeShaun Foster rushed for 151 yards after gaining 165 against Atlanta a week earlier in Carolina's NFC South-clinching win.

"They did a great job defensive-wise," right tackle Fred Miller said. "They kept Eli (Manning) off his game and got some crucial picks. ... They played a game exactly as scripted. Now, they've got to come in here."

Harris sees a different Panthers team, one that's doing a better job running the ball now. He singled out Foster, saying, "He's so explosive."

Ogunleye sees the same thing: a team feeding off its running game lately. The Panthers all but abandoned that in their loss to the Bears.

"They did a good job against the Giants," he said. "But I think if we can stop the run and make them a one-dimensional team and try to go to Steve Smith, you know that's going to be our game plan."

The Panthers were a preseason favorite to win the NFC. The Bears were not expected to contend, yet here they are preparing for their first playoff game in four years.

They suffered through three losing seasons, lost starting quarterback Rex Grossman to an ankle injury for the first 13 games and started 1-3 before turning things around. Along the way, they dominated Carolina. Now, the teams meet again.

"We know we can beat them," Brown said. "They think they can beat us, but we know we can beat them."

01/09/06 18:25 EST

Just what the Panthers need - bulletin board material.The Panthers are BY FAR the most experienced and most poised NFC playoff team - the last thing they need is a young, inexperienced team giving them motivation. I expect Lovie will be pulling O-Gun aside after this comment.Carolina @ Seattle for the NFC Championship game - just as I predicted a month before the playoffs started.

Just what the Panthers need - bulletin board material.

- the last thing they need is a young, inexperienced team giving them motivation.
IF :D the Panthers were to win, I think it would have more to do with coaching and execution by the players, than trash talk.

- the last thing they need is a young, inexperienced team giving them motivation.
IF :D the Panthers were to win, I think it would have more to do with coaching and execution by the players, than trash talk.
:rolleyes: Well, no duh.

But it is still a BAD move for a young inexperienced team to start trash talking to such an exeprienced playoff team like the Panthers.

:rolleyes:

Well, no duh.

But it is still a BAD move for a young inexperienced team to start trash talking to such an exeprienced playoff team like the Panthers.
I can see your point.Re-reading that article, it would seem his comments are accurate regarding the first matchup, we will see after Sunday, if he is right about game #2

"You know they had all the hype coming into the game and we felt they didn't deserve it," Ogunleye said. "And I think again, they have a lot more hype than they should, and we're going to continue to play as hard as we can. I'm not downplaying the Carolina Panthers, but I'm up-playing us."

Ogunleye wasn't necessarily trying to start a controversy. He just seemed to be sending out a reminder that the Bears dominated Carolina 13-3 Nov. 20 at Soldier Field.

This comment is all they need - taken out of context or not:

And I think again, they have a lot more hype than they should
That's all a team like the Panthers need for that slight bit of extra motivation going into a hostile environment where they lost last time.

ANd the Bears aren't? :lmao:
Nope - they sure aren't.If anything, they are OVERrated. In the past- esp. since Urlacher's 1st year in the playoffs - they have underperformed.

The Panthers are BY FAR the most experienced and most poised NFC playoff team - the last thing they need is a young, inexperienced team giving them motivation. I expect Lovie will be pulling O-Gun aside after this comment.

Carolina @ Seattle for the NFC Championship game - just as I predicted a month before the playoffs started.
While I generally agree with you Marc, I'm not buying that the Panthers are so experienced. This is a team that has made the playoffs once in the past 9 years. ONCE.Seattle has made it each of the last two years. While the 'Skins have been in a drought, both Brunell and Santana Moss have significant playoff experience (and success), and obviously no one can compare to Gibbs. The Bears are light on playoff experience, except for their HC and their star WR -- and Urlacher was there when they were 13-3 in 2001.

I don't think the Panthers have much of an edge in playoff experience. And no matter what anyone says before the game, I like the Bears to win this one in a less competitive game than most expect.

While I generally agree with you Marc, I'm not buying that the Panthers are so experienced. This is a team that has made the playoffs once in the past 9 years. ONCE.
Since you bolded the word once, I'll remind you that the Panthers made the playoffs in the 1996 season, and played Green Bay in the NFC Championship. Since this is the 2005 season, that means the Panthers have been in the playoffs twice in the last 9 years.

Awww, what's a little trash talking to set the tone to the slugfest. :boxing:

Last edited by a moderator:
While I generally agree with you Marc, I'm not buying that the Panthers are so experienced. This is a team that has made the playoffs once in the past 9 years. ONCE.
Since you bolded the word once, I'll remind you that the Panthers made the playoffs in the 1996 season, and played Green Bay in the NFC Championship. Since this is the 2005 season, that means the Panthers have been in the playoffs twice in the last 9 years.
:confused: Sorry. I meant once before this year. Obviously all the teams in the playoffs made it this year, but I shouldn't have been so sloppy with my language. Of course, the 1996 season was more than 9 seasons ago (it was 10).

:confused: Sorry. I meant once before this year. Obviously all the teams in the playoffs made it this year, but I shouldn't have been so sloppy with my language. Of course, the 1996 season was more than 9 seasons ago (it was 10).
Yup - Chase is right - the 1996 playoff season is ten years ago - the 1996 season and 1997 playoffs was nine years ago.'That said, the Panthers have more playoff games than all of the other remaining playoff teams. way more playoff victories . ;)

Users who are viewing this thread