What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Olsen and Willingham dealt to the Nationals (1 Viewer)

NY/NJMFDIVER

Footballguy
The Washington Nationals began their rebuilding process Monday, agreeing to a trade for outfielder Josh Willingham and lefty starter Scott Olsen of the Florida Marlins for a package of players. Law: Trading Up Acquiring Josh Willingham and Scott Olsen is a win for the Washington Nats, writes Keith Law. Blog The Nationals confirmed the deal on Tuesday and scheduled a news conference.Agent Matt Sosnick, who represents both players, said in a telephone interview that Willingham and Olsen would be in Washington to meet the media on Tuesday. "They've both voiced they're excited for a fresh start. Neither of them has really played for anybody else except the Marlins," Sosnick said. "They're both trying to process the information." The Nats traded away second baseman Emilio Bonifacio, who hit .243 in 49 games last season, and two minors leaguers in pitcher P.J. Dean and shortstop Jake Smolinski, sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons. "We have nothing to say," Larry Beinfest, the Marlins' president of baseball operations, said while courtside watching the Miami Heat play the New Jersey Nets. "If that changes, I'll let you know. We're not planning on doing anything tonight." Olsen WillinghamBeinfest said he was aware of the reports of the trade, but declined any further comment. Nationals general manager Jim Bowden and spokesmen for Florida and Washington did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The trade signals the start of the Nationals' efforts to reshape their roster after a worst-in-the-majors 59-102 season. Willingham hit .254 with 15 homers and 51 RBIs last season, when he missed 50 games with a herniated disk in his back. He was a 20-homer player in 2006 and 2007. The left-handed Olsen went 8-11 with a 4.20 ERA in 2008, his third consecutive season with at least 31 starts. He is 31-37 with a 4.63 ERA in the major leagues. Bonifacio has hit .240 with zero homers and 16 RBIs in 60 big league games. Washington acquired him in July in a trade that sent reliever Jon Rauch to the Arizona Diamondbacks. How the deal with Washington will affect the Marlins' plans wasn't immediately clear. Bonifacio could become an option at second base if Florida moves arbitration-eligible All-Star Dan Uggla, who reportedly could be available. The Marlins have already shipped first baseman Mike Jacobs to Kansas City this offseason, and still have plenty of decisions to make about other players who were part of Florida's surprising 84-77 run this season. Most around the team have long figured that either Willingham or right fielder Jeremy Hermida wouldn't be back with cost-conscious Florida in 2009, even though the team is planning to increase its spending a bit in the coming season. "I think Olsen knew he would probably get traded, and Willingham knew there was a chance, given the constraints the Marlins have," Sosnick said.
I'm in no position to comment, since I don't know about the prospects going back, but apparently they're well thought of. I guess you'd have to give something for a young, hard throwing leftyWith rumors of a Teixeria push, are the Nats planning on a splash here? It seems curious to trade for guys when that division is loaded and might be moreso if Peavy goes to Atlanta. Why not develop your own guys instead of trading for players that will be tough to sign?

Olsen could be a decent SP if he ever gets his head screwed on. He probably won't ever put it all together but given the sorry state of the DC rotation and the low price, it's probably worth the risk. I'd guess the acquisition of Willingham takes them out of the Teixeira sweepstakes. The Nationals already have a bunch of 1B/COF types.

The Marlins continue to be in cost saving mode, which doesn't bode well in that division. Bonifacio could have fantasy impact if he moves Uggla off of 2B or out of Miami.

It's just the way it is, the Marlins really have little margin for error in regards to payroll. Uggla will be the next to go, though he is ridiculously overrated.

Willingham is an average player, but Olsen, like someone said, could be an above average lefty starter if he could get his head on straight. It looks like the Marlins got some promising prospects although they are a long way off. You can pencil in Emilio Bonifacio as their starter at 2nd.

I still like the nucleus of the Marlins. I think with Jacobs gone, Dallas McPherson will get his chance at either 1st or 3rd. he is just like Uggla, a free swinger who is going to hit alot of homers.

As for pitching, they have young pitchers, some of whom are coming off injuries, but have proven they can be solid. And Andrew Miller should continue to develop.

Users who are viewing this thread