What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

One Piece (Netflix live action) (1 Viewer)

kupcho1

Footballguy
I didn't see a thread for it, so I thought I owe it to the community to highlight the best show of 2023 (hell maybe the 2020s).
One Piece is the best first season since Game of Thrones (note that I did not say "I think"; it's a definitive statement and I defy anyone to try and disprove it).

Brief summary:
Monkey D. Luffy and his pirate crew explore a fantastical world of endless oceans and exotic islands in search of the world's ultimate treasure to become the next Pirate King.

It's based on a manga by Eiichiro Oda. I think the reason the live action adaptation turned out so well was that Oda was intimately involved in the production:
  • Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, has an "overarching presence" on the show and all creative decisions go through him, even to the extent of reshooting scenes.
  • Oda's involvement in the live-action adaptation is seen as critical to delivering the show the way fans want it, and his blessing is highly sought after by the team.
  • Oda's involvement in the adaptation is different from his involvement in the anime, as he has a bigger presence and has a say in creative decisions that may challenge traditional TV practices.

I think this is why One Piece is excellent while turd burgers like Wheel of Time (author: dead), Rings of Power (estate cash grab) and The Witcher (no idea why) sucked.

Now that's not to say it's a slavish copy of the original material.
Steven Maeda successfully convinced Eiichiro Oda to make changes for the live-action One Piece show, including introducing characters earlier and rearranging storylines. These changes were made to build a more solid structure for the adaptation and to increase the stakes and presence of certain characters.

Why is One Piece great?
  • Worldbuilding is top notch; you're thrown in headfirst, but the "rules" of the setting are easy to figure out
  • The cast is fantastic (and were totally unknown to me other than Al Swearingen as the narrator).
  • Great characters (that stay consistent)
  • They stay true to the source material (according to those that have actually read the source material)
  • It's batshit crazy (e.g., communication by snail)
I'm actually tempted to read the manga and watch all of the anime versions (spoiler: there's a lot).
I'm giving One Piece my highest recommendation. I can't wait for season 2.

I didn't see a thread for it, so I thought I owe it to the community to highlight the best show of 2023 (hell maybe the 2020s).
One Piece is the best first season since Game of Thrones (note that I did not say "I think"; it's a definitive statement and I defy anyone to try and disprove it).

Brief summary:
Monkey D. Luffy and his pirate crew explore a fantastical world of endless oceans and exotic islands in search of the world's ultimate treasure to become the next Pirate King.

It's based on a manga by Eiichiro Oda. I think the reason the live action adaptation turned out so well was that Oda was intimately involved in the production:
  • Eiichiro Oda, the creator of One Piece, has an "overarching presence" on the show and all creative decisions go through him, even to the extent of reshooting scenes.
  • Oda's involvement in the live-action adaptation is seen as critical to delivering the show the way fans want it, and his blessing is highly sought after by the team.
  • Oda's involvement in the adaptation is different from his involvement in the anime, as he has a bigger presence and has a say in creative decisions that may challenge traditional TV practices.

I think this is why One Piece is excellent while turd burgers like Wheel of Time (author: dead), Rings of Power (estate cash grab) and The Witcher (no idea why) sucked.

Now that's not to say it's a slavish copy of the original material.
Steven Maeda successfully convinced Eiichiro Oda to make changes for the live-action One Piece show, including introducing characters earlier and rearranging storylines. These changes were made to build a more solid structure for the adaptation and to increase the stakes and presence of certain characters.

Why is One Piece great?
  • Worldbuilding is top notch; you're thrown in headfirst, but the "rules" of the setting are easy to figure out
  • The cast is fantastic (and were totally unknown to me other than Al Swearingen as the narrator).
  • Great characters (that stay consistent)
  • They stay true to the source material (according to those that have actually read the source material)
  • It's batshit crazy (e.g., communication by snail)
I'm actually tempted to read the manga and watch all of the anime versions (spoiler: there's a lot).
I'm giving One Piece my highest recommendation. I can't wait for season 2.
My 11 year old loves the anime version. He's been watching it for months. There must be 1,000 epsiodes.

:blackdot:

-I love introducing new TV shows my wife has no idea about and BOOM we have something to cuddle and eat snacks on the couch together and she's happy.
Happy Wife Happy Life

I never watched Game of Thrones, don't have a huge thirst for it but I do like Pirate movies quite a bit and we have Netflix, no reason not to have this on stand by tonight when the KC-Den game gets out of hand so i'll probably reference it in the game thread.

Thanks Kup

There was some talk of it in the streaming thread, but yeah, it exceeded my expectations. My kids got into the animated series and we watched that when they were younger. It was fun to watch the live action all these years later and re-visit the story. I felt the animated series was really bloated with a ton of filler and liked how they condensed the live action. Of course my youngest kept pointing out some of the story lines they were glossing over, but even she really liked the live action. The One Piece world is so ripe for this treatment and they did a great job IMO.

The best thing about the live action to me was that they made it darker but still retained some of the goofiness and creative characters. I think that was why I had low expectations going in. I was like how are they going to show Luffy's powers? Or Buggy? Or Arlong? Somehow it worked. It was excellent and really hope they continue it. Looked like it cost a fortune to make and not really sure what kind of engagement it got, but really excited to watch more of the story.

Last edited:
Have had it added to my Netflix list but have not had a chance to watch it - will have to bump it up the priority list for viewing

Just finished it. I liked the show. I did fast forward through most of the fight scenes, but I am looking forward to season two.

Comparing it to Game of Thrones is the mistake. Not even close. This should be a great watch if you have young kids. Something everyone will enjoy but so not Game of Thrones level. Honest mistake I’m sure…

Comparing it to Game of Thrones is the mistake. Not even close. This should be a great watch if you have young kids. Something everyone will enjoy but so not Game of Thrones level. Honest mistake I’m sure…
I said it was the best first season since Game of Thrones. No comparison was made other than that.

As far as having young kids watch it, that's your call, but it is pretty violent.

One Piece definitely has a cool factor, and the director or whoever takes a ton of good chances with each episode. Most actually work without getting to predictable or cheesy luckily. Ty Burrell from Muppets Most Wanted would do well as a pirate on this show imo. There is definitely some Groucho Marx influence happening on the reg. .

As for the show details, the characters are great, the settings, are really cool, and it totally feels authentic. I can't decide if I love or hate that freakin clown! The dialogue is a little iffy at times (especially Monkey), but that's pretty typical in the Anime world this is pulled from. Even though they are nothing alike in most ways, I want to say this show makes me feel happy in a Flight of the Conchords way. I would bet the Anime kids are gonna LOVE this adaptation finally.

It’s not for me… enjoy it. I was syked with the review…It’s not comparable to Game of Thrones…different views which is good….

The Night Of had the best first three or four episodes of any series imo. Then it cratered. This one was consistently good. Looking forward to season two.

Users who are viewing this thread