What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OP-ED: Why The GOP Should Not Support Trump For POTUS 2024 (9/30/21 00:50 PST) (1 Viewer)

Supporting the GOP exclusively while whining about how horrible a philosophy that "the ends justifying the means" is indicates the need to do some research on the meaning of self-awareness. Some barriers to self awareness, according to Positive Psychology:

• Lack of mindfulness
  • Cognitive Bias
  • Unwillingness to seek feedback
  • Confirmation bias
  • Remembering Self vs. Experiencing Self
Self improvement is a never-ending journey...

Supporting the GOP exclusively while whining about how horrible a philosophy that "the ends justifying the means" is indicates the need to do some research on the meaning of self-awareness.
Yeah, the entirety of the Trump administration was a master class in ends justifying the means.  Basically, we'll support whoever and whatever we have to in order to get conservative SCOTUS appointments.

CletiusMaximus said:
Donald Trump defines both major political parties in our country 100%.  A politician cannot be a viable member of the GOP unless they fully support Trump and all that he stands for, including the Big Lie.  Similarly, the only qualification to be a Democrat running for office is to be "Not Trump" - that's your entire platform whether running for President, Congress, Governor or County Clerk.  Policy of any sort - immigration, health care, tax, whatever - is pure meaningless noise and nothing more.
Don't we see this as entirely problematic? I would like actual good conservative options and good liberal options to choose between. Instead we have the dynamic you describe, which is just awful.

The ends DO NOT justify the means.  EVER.
Then your declaration of holding of your nose and voting for Trump makes no sense.  The ends (getting your conservative polices) doesn’t justify the means (Trump a candidate you “despise”).  So your statement above is either not true or you’re a hypocrite.

*for the record I’m not calling you out as a hypocrite just pointing out where the logic of your post leads.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the issue for me too.   While I understand liberals jist hating the idea of Trump, i camt stand the democratic policies and candidates today so id have no choice but to vote for him.
Bull####

Unless something has changed in the state of Michigan since I lived there, you can vote for anyone who's on the ballot.  Write-ins, third party etc.  Never was there a time I was there that we had to choose between Democrat and Republican only.

Bull####

Unless something has changed in the state of Michigan since I lived there, you can vote for anyone who's on the ballot.  Write-ins, third party etc.  Never was there a time I was there that we had to choose between Democrat and Republican only.
Omg.  Seriously?  That's your reply? 

Yes im aware I can vote for anyone.  Why do you guys do silly stuff like this??

Omg.  Seriously?  That's your reply? 

Yes im aware I can vote for anyone.  Why do you guys do silly stuff like this??
:lmao:

You literally said:

id have no choice but to vote for him.
which is completely false and then threw it at the feet of the Democrats as the reason why you'd "have" to vote for him.  I know, I know, yet another "You should be able to read my mind and look at my heart to understand the true meaning of my words" moment, right?

No one is forcing you to vote for anyone.  You pull the lever because that is YOUR choice.  Own it.

Then your declaration of holding of your nose and voting for Trump makes no sense.  The ends (getting your conservative polices) doesn’t justify the means (Trump a candidate you “despise”).  So your statement above is either not true or you’re a hypocrite.

*for the record I’m not calling you out as a hypocrite just pointing out where the logic of your post leads.  
What he is saying is “the ends justify his means for him  but they don’t justify for mine”

You literally said:

which is completely false and then threw it at the feet of the Democrats as the reason why you'd "have" to vote for him.  I know, I know, yet another "You should be able to read my mind and look at my heart to understand the true meaning of my words" moment, right?

No one is forcing you to vote for anyone.  You pull the lever because that is YOUR choice.  Own it.
You're just absurd.  I mean seriously. What's wrong with you???

Let's go ahead and assume,  since I am a grown man and I participate on a politics based forum,  that I understand how voting works ok?  Stop being ridiculous,  it makes everything else you post seem uninteresting 

You're just absurd.  I mean seriously. What's wrong with you???

Let's go ahead and assume,  since I am a grown man and I participate on a politics based forum,  that I understand how voting works ok?  Stop being ridiculous,  it makes everything else you post seem uninteresting 
na....I don't need to assume when there is evidence provided and it says otherwise :lmao:  

Supporting the GOP exclusively while whining about how horrible a philosophy that "the ends justifying the means" is indicates the need to do some research on the meaning of self-awareness. Some barriers to self awareness, according to Positive Psychology:

• Lack of mindfulness
  • Cognitive Bias
  • Unwillingness to seek feedback
  • Confirmation bias
  • Remembering Self vs. Experiencing Self
Self improvement is a never-ending journey...
Another way of saying "Be Better".

This.  So much this.   

Can we make this quote the sub-header on the PSF front page please.  
Do we though? 

Seems like we are on the same page on getting what we deserve as far as media goes.  We vote for these people, and a decent portion of their calculation is they think they will lose their job if they don't stick to their side across the board.  The US population is more and more like this too. 

Do we though? 

Seems like we are on the same page on getting what we deserve as far as media goes.  We vote for these people, and a decent portion of their calculation is they think they will lose their job if they don't stick to their side across the board.  The US population is more and more like this too. 
Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve been saying for years we are the problem not the media or the politicians.  We have all the power yet have no idea how to use it and thus feel powerless.  But as things stand now better choices would be nice. 

Oh don’t get me wrong, I’ve been saying for years we are the problem not the media or the politicians.  We have all the power yet have no idea how to use it and thus feel powerless.  But as things stand now better choices would be nice. 
Very fair, and I agree.  

I think the best case scenario:  Trump endorses the GOP as a whole.  Say you have full confidence in the leadership.  And fade into the shadows.  Don't endorse Haley, DeSantis, or Crenshaw.  Just endorse the Republlican leadership and move on.  Now you've told our base to trust the party.  But you haven't made any candidate "a Trump person."  You don't attach that lightning rod to their head.  
Yes, because everything in Trump's history suggests that's his likely MO  :lmao:

I think the point is that DJT has no core beliefs beyond what is good for him in the moment. Which seems like an exceedingly poor trait in anyone, let alone a president. 
Unless they have bad core beliefs like leftists.

An older (and very conservative) relative once told me "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".

Once again, Trump was overwhelmingly popular with Republicans.  It’s hard to imagine them wanting someone else.  I guess there are a few ‘moderate’ Republicans out there, but I also feel like this is a media narrative manufactured by the same people Trump humiliated in 2016.  The real question is who will appeal more to independents & nonvoters.  

ren hoek said:
Once again, Trump was overwhelmingly popular with Republicans.  It’s hard to imagine them wanting someone else.  I guess there are a few ‘moderate’ Republicans out there, but I also feel like this is a media narrative manufactured by the same people Trump humiliated in 2016.  The real question is who will appeal more to independents & nonvoters.  
Hey ren, it's good to see you back here! What have you been up to?

Leroy Hoard said:
An older (and very conservative) relative once told me "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear".
I call B.S.  audited on personal joint return.  6 months later the IRS lady found I owed an extra $150.  yep, $150 & I was the one that spotted it & informed her.  well, not going to look good with her spending that much time to find $150,  so on to my corporation because there has to be something there, right?.  the personal I probably spent over 80 hours giving them what they wanted, the corporate probably 400 hours.  ended up owing them nothing but they cost me a lot more than money.  what people don't understand is that they can bankrupt you over nothing.  it does not matter it they have a case because they have unlimited resources.   "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" when it comes to government, is utter & total junk.

Leroy Hoard said:
Not a fan of liberty are you!   That is a soviet mentality.    Please tell your relative that.

The Commish said:
As i outlined, it takes MAYBE 5 minutes. If thats your line for outraged vs not, it might be time to do some personal evaluation of the bars youre setting
It's nice to hear from you.   

I wonder why you think it's OK for the IRS weaponizing banks.     I thinks it's time YOU evaluate  yourself.

You are getting close to Jack Boots.

It's nice to hear from you.   

I wonder why you think it's OK for the IRS weaponizing banks.     I thinks it's time YOU evaluate  yourself.

You are getting close to Jack Boots.
I don't think it's ok, but the difference between us is I've had a problem with it since the Patriot Act.  You seem to only have a problem with it recently.  Pointing out that the larger leap was made two decades ago doesn't mean I'm ok with it :shrug:  

Not a fan of liberty are you!   That is a soviet mentality.    Please tell your relative that.
Like I said he's very conservative and includes things like police as part of government. Since they obviously are.

I don't think it's ok, but the difference between us is I've had a problem with it since the Patriot Act.  You seem to only have a problem with it recently.  Pointing out that the larger leap was made two decades ago doesn't mean I'm ok with it :shrug:  
You are making a ridiculous  assumption.   I'm one of those Kooks who thought the patriot act would morph into the instrument this jack booted thugs the left is now trying to use to monitor Americans. Thanks Bush.

Which from your support of an administrative state is something  you find attractive. 

You are making a ridiculous  assumption.   I'm one of those Kooks who thought the patriot act would morph into the instrument this jack booted thugs the left is now trying to use to monitor Americans. Thanks Bush.

Which from your support of an administrative state is something  you find attractive. 
You should join the few of us that continue to have issues with things like this consistently.  You've never been part of any of those discussions that I can remember.  There are but a few of us here who've been consistent on this subject over the last 2 decades :shrug:  

The last sentence makes no sense to me, so if you'd like to clarify, I'd be happy to address.  Based on the word jumble, it SEEMS like you and I have very different definitions of "administrative state" but I'm open to clarification on that point.

The Patriot Act enjoyed broad bipartisan support. But it’s worth noting that of the 67 legislators who voted against its passage only 3 were Republicans, while 63 were Democrats (there was one Independent nay vote). 
That was more than 5 days ago.   Come on man.

quick-hands said:
Unless they have bad core beliefs like leftists.
Well thanks for letting us know where you're at. Nuance is not your thing, I see. Why use a fly swatter when a 12 gauge works, amirite? 

The Patriot Act enjoyed broad bipartisan support. But it’s worth noting that of the 67 legislators who voted against its passage only 3 were Republicans, while 63 were Democrats (there was one Independent nay vote). 
And it remains abundantly clear, many still don't know the reach in the bill.  Having been against it from day one as I saw it's impact in my world of technology, its remarkable where some people are now drawing their line.  It makes zero sense.

And it remains abundantly clear, many still don't know the reach in the bill.  Having been against it from day one as I saw it's impact in my world of technology, its remarkable where some people are now drawing their line.  It makes zero sense.
Well, in fairness, if I were against something from day one, and still opposed to it, I would welcome new voices of opposition, even if those voices joined late in the game. 

Well, in fairness, if I were against something from day one, and still opposed to it, I would welcome new voices of opposition, even if those voices joined late in the game. 
I'm definitely of the "better late than never" opinion for sure.  In this particular situation, I suspect the opposition really isn't based on the "something" rather the "who" that is doing the "something".  Rings kind of hollow, but I do appreciate the company on the bandwagon even if temporary.  :thumbup:  

I guess I just don't get the "Trump's not gonna run/he shouldn't run" takes. He's going to run, and he'll get something like 99% of the votes he got last time from the same exact people. I'm missing the angle here, is it an attempt to keep people off guard? Create some sort of "drama"?

"And of all the crazy surprises OMG it's Donald Trump and he's gonna run for President!!" Really?  

I guess I just don't get the "Trump's not gonna run/he shouldn't run" takes. He's going to run, and he'll get something like 99% of the votes he got last time from the same exact people. I'm missing the angle here, is it an attempt to keep people off guard? Create some sort of "drama"?

"And of all the crazy surprises OMG it's Donald Trump and he's gonna run for President!!" Really?  
He's already out with his "I'd completely roll DeSantis if I ran against him" shtick.  

Just for what its worth, the Senate vote was 98–1, with the lone vote against coming from Russ Feingold of Wisconsin.

It's from people who know Trump is dangerously unfit and would really prefer not to vote for him, but who will if it comes down to it because they hate the Democrats more. Arguing that he won't run is their psychological out.

And you know what? Maybe he won't run. I've given up trying to predict what's going on in that dude's brain. But all indications so far are that he's planning on it.

have you ever voted Republican?  I mean, regularly?  We have guys all the time saying they moved from the GOP or who say they are "conservative" but have voted GOP once in their lives.  Maybe twice.

From my perspective, you're in here defending every liberal and liberal policy all the time.  I don't think I've EVER seen you defend the GOP or conservatives.

If you're conservative, then you've voted conservative almost always.
Exactly.  I’ve seen a few of those sorts in here.  Not fooling anyone.

You literally said:

Have you ever heard the term “figure of speech?”

Exactly.  I’ve seen a few of those sorts in here.  Not fooling anyone.
There are a lot of people like it though.  And the reason you don’t see them defending current “conservative” policy is that so much of it isn’t what once was conservative.  Trump’s version of the GOP is not what such people are interested in.  That was clear in the primaries in 2016.  It was clear during his term…and clear again in the election las year.

Its why people are saying they can’t  go back to this version of the GOP.

And yes…a majority of my voting life was spent voting for conservatives.

Bush, McCain…Lamar Alexander.  Several governors in TN.   
The current two senators? 

Users who are viewing this thread