What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (3 Viewers)

Rough week. My grandmother had been doing better but suddenly passed away this morning. The 3-week no booze streak will likely end tonight. My knee pain is back as well, so I may have to nix my next couple workouts. We'll see. Recorded some outstanding BP numbers last night, so I have that going for me at least. I'll be back on the horse soon enough. 

Rough week. My grandmother had been doing better but suddenly passed away this morning. The 3-week no booze streak will likely end tonight. My knee pain is back as well, so I may have to nix my next couple workouts. We'll see. Recorded some outstanding BP numbers last night, so I have that going for me at least. I'll be back on the horse soon enough. 
Sorry to hear that.  Don't blame you for pouring some back tonight, but don't let it derail you for too long.  

Starting to feel like an echo chamber in here.  I don't want to move to the other thread, those people are too dedicated.

Walked a little over 3 miles this morning (18:32 pace).

Under calories and still no booze yesterday.  

Keep up the good work, if you're still out there...

My knees are full of surprises. Was able to knock out a 4-mile run at 8:31 pace this morning with virtually no pain. Seems like they hurt if I exercise too much but also hurt if I do too little. Rest days like yesterday are when they often feel the worst. Who knows.

Got a 12-pack of beer last night but only drank 2. Going to work through it over the next several days and then return to my special-occasions-only plan.

Starting to feel like an echo chamber in here.  I don't want to move to the other thread, those people are too dedicated.

i'm here.  still on post operative mellowness.  forcing myself to get out and knock out a few miles right now.

I’m rarely in here these days but am still at it.  I took a break from working out for a few weeks to give my body a break and only gained a couple of pounds.  

This week:  210 lbs       Last week:  212 lbs

Change:  -2 lbs               Loss to date:  71 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:    235 lbs
June 25:    231 lbs
July 2:       229 lbs
July 9:       232 lbs
July 16:     227 lbs
July 23:     225 lbs
July 30:     223 lbs
Aug 6:       221 lbs
Aug 13:     218 lbs
Aug 20:     215 lbs
Aug 27:     212 lbs
Sep 3:        210 lbs

Really put myself behind coming out of last weekend between an NFL game and some other stuff upping my calories and messing up my exercise schedule at the same time. But managed to work past it and lose two pounds in the end.

Gradually upping weights with my shoulder and it is going well. Still getting some tendonitis, but icing it and taking Advil or acetaminophen, are helping quite a bit.  It's nice seeing some definition in my arms for a change between gains from the exercises and the fat coming off.  Feeling so much better about my appearance, though definitely going to need to keep going past my initial goal I've been working towards.  3 more lbs to go to it.

Did another 4 mile run this morning at 8:21 pace, putting me at 16 miles for the week. Solid week for exercise but let’s not talk about the diet side. That part should go back to normal once I return home from the funeral. Hope everyone else is doing well!

Walked a little over 3 miles this morning (18:32 pace) then did a 40-min yoga session with core focus.  Yoga got a little rough, think I was running on fumes by the end.  Not enough sleep last night.  

Was under calories and still off the booze.  Wife and I are having pizza tonight, hope that doesn't derail this last few weeks of positive work.  

Keep up the good work!

Was thinking of getting a rowing machine so I can get more ways to get cardio in that don't put too much pressure on a toe that is acting up lately. Would like something that is easy to fold and store when not in use. Figured this may be a good place to ask for models I should look at since Oats used to always talk about rowing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking of getting a rowing machine so I can get more ways to get cardio in that don't put too much pressure on a toe I have that is acting up lately. Would like something that is easy to fold and store when not in use. Figured this may be a good place to ask for models I should look at since Oats used to always talk about rowing.
I can vouch that the concept 2 I have is great - but doesn’t check the box on easily foldable. Not sure you will get much of quality if you need it to be easily folded and put away between rows. 

I can vouch that the concept 2 I have is great - but doesn’t check the box on easily foldable. Not sure you will get much of quality if you need it to be easily folded and put away between rows. 
 That is part of what is hard to tell in my sparse googling thus far. It does look like Nordictrac has some models that fold. Maybe I should try to put one in the attic space, but will get hot in the summer.

I :heart: this thread.  @causticI'm so sorry to hear of your grandmother's passing.  Grandparents are the best.  

Sorry to be MIA recently.  I went on an eight-day Alaskan cruise, which ended yesterday.  Yesterday also happened to be my birthday.  Suffice to say that the last 8-9 days haven't been good for the diet or the booze intake. 

I am semi-proud to report that I asked for a yoga mat to be delivered to my stateroom, so I kept up with my yoga on all but two days.  Today I made up for that by doing three sessions, so that I'd be caught up with Adriene.  Before I left, I finally broke down and bought Adriene's subscription service - $99 per year.  So I have a lot more to choose from plus some cool features where I can make a calendar for myself, save favorites, etc.  I joined so I could download her upcoming sessions in order to keep up while I was gone, since internet service would be spotty, but after so much time I felt I owed her that anyway.

I have a little health-adjacent worry going on right now, in that I finally got in touch with someone to try to buy long-term care insurance.  I should have done this years ago, but I was spurred by a WA law that is going into effect 1/1/22 that will require WA residents to pay into such a system.  Without going into unnecessary detail, let's say this "first of its kind" law might have been a good idea in theory but in practice is going to be awful.  And the only way you can opt out of it is by proving you have an alternate acceptable policy in place. 

Anyway, due to the WA law only one company is still offering LTC policies here, and they are flooded with applicants.  I thought I'd be golden (even though it will cost me exorbitant amounts to get now) - though over 50 I'm in great health with absolutely no known issues.  Or...I guess I have to say...only one issue, which is that a couple of years ago I went to a podiatrist due to some dull pain and found I had arthritis in my big toes.  Apparently this is a BIG DEAL to insurers!  :confused:   So I have to have an interview to discuss my general health, but my advisor thinks it's a big concern.  WTF.  I guess at worst I get stuck paying into the useless WA system and throwing that money away.

That's my update.  Also I'm probably too heavy right now for my comfort, so I need to hunker down again.  I'll post my progress here starting Monday.

Looks like lots of great progress in this thread!  I do worry about our fearless leader...?

Just wanted to share an experience. My weight has bounced up and down my whole adult life. I’m 56.

2020 was a rough year for me in a lot of ways. I gained weight and was in an awful place emotionally/mentally and physically.

So in January I decided that was enough and it was time to get control of my life again. Without boring you with all of the details, I discovered intermittent fasting and meditation.

I lost 33 pounds (from 205-172) and saw my blood pressure go to 118/68. The amazing thing about that to me is that I’ve had borderline hbp since I was in my mid-30s. My doctor at the time tried to get me on medication but I refused. My bp was consistently 135-140 over 80-85.  

I’m sure both practices contributed, but I really think that intermittent fasting was the key. I did 16/8 or more fasting pretty much every day. I believe that helped my body to focus on other healing it needed to do but couldn’t because my lifestyle was forcing it to constantly deal with digesting food.

If you haven’t tried IF, I’d highly recommend it. I’m 56 and I feel like a new man. 👍🏼 

Weighed myself today.  Somehow I managed to gain six pounds in 10 days.  I know this first week I can lose a decent chunk of that back, but I'm hoping that in two months I can get fully back to where I want to be.

Week One - ugggggggggggghhhhhh

Goal - lose 20 pounds
8 days in a row. 7,500 meters.

I am aiming for 235 which is also 20 down from my recent high. 

:football:

Glad to see so much activity in here lately!

Well...  it was a weekend.  I made it almost two weeks booze free, before having a few drinks over the weekend.  Never had too much, so that's a minor accomplishment.  Didn't eat too poorly this weekend, but wasn't as good as I had been recently either.  Did a bunch of random home improvement stuff this weekend, so am a little sore from all of that.  

Walked the dog this morning and did a gentle 30-min yoga session, just to work out the kinks from the weekend.  

Keep up the good work!

Don't know if I'm going to hit my goal this week. I was looking really good coming out of the weekend, I normally see the scale move over the weekdays. But it hasn't been moving, seem to be on a plateau though I've got a calorie deficit going. Oh well, if not, then next week. Still possible, sometimes it just comes off all the sudden.

Walked a little over 3 miles today (18:22 pace), half with the dog.  

Was under calories yesterday, but life and work stresses caused the consumption of hard seltzers.  Was able to keep it in check tho, which is not the first time in the last week that I've had alcohol but not gone overboard.  Maybe this will be a new normal.  

Keep up the good work!

I need a full ten minutes to warm up, but it's almost normal after that. Pace was 19:52.
Do you stretch after your walk?  I spend close to five minutes after I walk stretching.  Toe touch, quads, toe touch, calves, toe touch...  (tight hamstrings are biggest problem, that's why I triple up)

Throw stretching on that pile of things I should be doing, like yoga, foam rollers, percussion massage, good posture....
I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but I'm still saying it again...

When I was having plantar issues last year, stretching was the main point the podiatrist talked to me about.  

I don't stretch before, but a few minutes after (and yoga 3+ days a week) have kept me going strong for over a year now.  

Throw stretching on that pile of things I should be doing, like yoga, foam rollers, percussion massage, good posture....
The first time I went through a big weight loss, I overdid the exercise bike one day. Calf got sore and I changed how I was riding which is the wrong thing to do. Ended up with bad shin splints, and it ended up being several months before I was back to normal.

So, hope you can learn a lesson from me there. Now I do a six minute warmup and then I stretch my calves in particular. I bought a Stretch Out Strap to help during the recovery and I still use it in those warm up stretches. Also has come in handy dealing with my shoulder rehab, etc. It's pretty remarkable how tight my calves will be at the start of the stretch, versus how much they loosen up even just after stretching it once or twice.

Yeah, I need to do a better job stretching as well. Falls by the wayside too often as I rush to shower/eat/get to work after my runs. 

Took this morning off to give my legs/knees a rest, but plan on doing some hip strengthening exercises this afternoon. I'm beginning to suspect they're to blame for some of my knee pain. Diet was great again yesterday and I finished off the last beer in the fridge. Back to special occasions only now. 

This week:  206 lbs       Last week:  210 lbs

Change:  -4 lbs               Loss to date:  75 lbs

------------------------------

Target weight:  207 lbs reached Sep 10, 2021

March 12:   281 lbs  
March 19:   274 lbs
March 26:   270 lbs
April 2:       265 lbs
April 9:       262 lbs
April 16:     259 lbs
April 23:     256 lbs
April 30:     254 lbs
May 7:       251 lbs
May 14:     249 lbs
May 21:     246 lbs
May 28:     245 lbs
June 4:      239 lbs
June 11:    235 lbs
June 18:    235 lbs
June 25:    231 lbs
July 2:       229 lbs
July 9:       232 lbs
July 16:     227 lbs
July 23:     225 lbs
July 30:     223 lbs
Aug 6:       221 lbs
Aug 13:     218 lbs
Aug 20:     215 lbs
Aug 27:     212 lbs
Sep 3:        210 lbs
Sep 10:        206 lbs   First Goal Reached    🌟 💥 🌟 💥  🌟 💥 🌟 
:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Wasn't sure if I was going to make it this week, but did it. Had plateaued this week but it finally came off overnight in one big go and I was actually at 205.6 this morning.

Feels fantastic to get here. 75 pounds in six months with two days to spare. I still have more to lose though. BMI is 28.7 (down from 39.2). I'll stop by the gym at work and check my body fat percent later today, but it's still in the overweight side of things. 

My resting heart rate is down from 64 in April to 55 now.  Blood pressure down from like 139/77 to 116/70. And unless I jog, my bad knee from college volleyball has stopped hurting pretty much entirely. Definitely feeling the improvements.

Will give myself the week to celebrate but try not to overdo it too much, and wait until next week to set my new goal. Going to be paying a visit to the Taste of Texas steakhouse though as a reward, that's a definite. 

Thanks to everyone in here for the encouragement, and giving me that extra incentive to hop on the bike even when I didn't want to, rather than come in here on Friday with a bad result for the week. Love you guys.

Ran 6 miles at 8:39 pace this morning, putting me at 16 miles for the week. Probably had too much sugar yesterday (tried one of Starbucks’ new seasonal drinks and there were 45 grams in a medium!) but overall my diet was solid. Feels good to be back in the swing of things once again.

And way to go @GregR, those are some phenomenal improvements!  :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Walked a little over 3 miles today (18:32 pace), half with the dog.  Followed up with a 40-min yoga session with core focus.  Boats are still a pain, but I can do the entire set now.  

Was under calories yesterday, even with a little bourbon nightcap.  

Keep up the good work!

Wow, three great posts in a row!  Huge congrats to @GregR; those are incredible accomplishments!!  Keep it up (not to steal Poke's line).

I've been mildly good this week.  So far have had two decent days, one slightly bad day, and one horribly bad day.  Overall still only a little behind on points, and I've done my yoga every day.  The last three days have been "Yoga for the Classroom," "Yoga for Teens," and "Dorm Room Yoga."  Yes, I did them anyway.  Planning on two more good days before probably blowing it again on Sunday for the first big weekend of football season.  

Users who are viewing this thread