What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pariah - MOCK 1 - May 24th (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry..with the changes I wasn't totally sure it was my pick.Well...I guess I'll do what I did in my draft last year. Hate to make the pick but if no one else wants him..2.05 Hitmen Curtis Martin

what is this "pariah" you speak of? Does it mean the guy is off the board and not allowed on anyone's roster?

Last edited by a moderator:
1.1. IWannaBEACowboy - LT2 (P: S.Alexander)1.2. Wood - Edgerrin James (P:Deuce McAllister)1.3. Elway - McGahee P:HOlmes1.4. Colin - Manning P:CUlpepper1.5. datonn - Jamal Lewis1.6. Hitmen - Clinton Portis1.7.Bicycle Seat Sniffers - Rudi Johnson P:C.Dillon1.8. Broadway - K.Jones P:Tiki Barber1.9. Jackal - Moss P: Owens1.10. Blue Peep: Dom Davis2.1 Blue Peep: S.Jackson2.2. Jackal - Julius Jones2.03 Broadway - Antonio Gates P:Tony Gonzalez2.04 Sniffers - Ahman Green2.05 Hitmen - C. Martin2.06 - datonn - OTC 2.07 - Colin 2.08 - Elway2.09 - Wood2.10 - IWBAC

So what's your opinion on using the Pariah.  Should you use it for player shortage or use it to create a larger gap in VBD.  For example Lt2 and Pariah SA or take Manning and Pariah Culpepper so that there's a large gap between the next best player.
YesMy theory shifted after the switch to a 10-man draft. I'm sure it will change again. Ask at the end of the draft. :P

Well, unfortunately I have to run. I have BostonFred filling in and taking over. I have made the tough pick in LT2 first :hophead: He's been notified and there's been much discussion on our new team name.After thinking about: IwannabeBostonFred or BostonFredWantstobeaCowboyWe've decided: IwannabeinBoston will have to work.I'll check back in later.If we ever get a league of some sort, I'd like to be involved, like the whole idea.

I think like all other draft methodologies, the Pariah picks can be utilized in any number of ways. This being the first foray, and essentially only a few hours since most of us ever heard of the concept, I've no doubt that we are going to go on "feel" this time around. But if (when) Colin has this up and running for the regular season, I intend to have gone through several iterations of draft strategy.Personally I think it makes more sense to pariah early picks, particularly if you're confident that your projections are more comprehensive and run deeper than most of the league.

My original thought is that you could only use 1 for rounds 1 -4, 1 for rounds 5 - 8 etc.., but I don't think it would have changed my strategy. I guess you don't really have to use a Pariah but will maybe to change it up a little.

My original thought is that you could only use 1 for rounds 1 -4, 1 for rounds 5 - 8 etc.., but I don't think it would have changed my strategy. I guess you don't really have to use a Pariah but will maybe to change it up a little.
Same here - And I feel that may be a better way to go about it - At least giving a little more chance to the guys at the end of the draft...So far, I think the top pick in the draft has an Incredible advantage locking in the top RB while watching many of the other top RB's go into Lockdown - then being able to grab 2 more on the way back. - All while locking down 3 RB's total, if so desired.

If you allow only 1 Pariah per 4 rounds, At least the top pick can only lock down 1 of the "Starting Rb's and not control potentially 6 of em total.....

2.07 - Colin -Tory Holt - WRPariah: Donovan McNabbI'm more than happy to exploit the Manning factor, particularly with Jason lurking 2 picks away...Colin

Same here - And I feel that may be a better way to go about it - At least giving a little more chance to the guys at the end of the draft...So far, I think the top pick in the draft has an Incredible advantage locking in the top RB while watching many of the other top RB's go into Lockdown - then being able to grab 2 more on the way back. - All while locking down 3 RB's total, if so desired.

If you allow only 1 Pariah per 4 rounds, At least the top pick can only lock down 1 of the "Starting Rb's and not control potentially 6 of em total.....
Interesting.Some ideas I've considered...

No Pariah's until after ROund 2.

No more than 1 Pariah per 2 or 4 rounds.

No use of Pariah's in back to back rounds.

COlin

elwayfan446 (2.08) - Mark Bulger, QBPariah - Kerry Collins, QBColin, you blasted McNabb right before I could take him :rant: Fact is that he would not have made it to Jason....oh well.

Interesting.Some ideas I've considered...

No Pariah's until after ROund 2.

No more than 1 Pariah per 2 or 4 rounds.

No use of Pariah's in back to back rounds.

COlin
No Pariah's until after Round 2. - Ok but would not make first 2 rounds interesting IMO.I like 1 Pariah per 2 or 4 rounds and no use of Pariah's in back to back rounds. This way in the first 2 rounds 20 players are not used for Pariah.

Just my opinion. Opinions are like a##holes. Everyone's got one and thinks everyone else's stinks. :D

I guess I wasn't clear on my explanation. Sorry. Good thing this is a test/mock. THere will be more chances. Mostly, I'm interested in opinions and food for thought regarding this strategy. I'm mostly hoping these mocks will expose "holes" that too obviously tilt things in favor of one or tow draft spots.Colin

Maybe you should have to accrue a Pariah every 2 rounds. If you trade a pick and you don't have a pick that round you have to wait till the next round and accrue a Pariah and use it when you want. An early thought.

Another idea that might be interesting: In the last round of the draft, you can unpariah one pick. That way the guy with the last pick in the first gets first choice of the players that he missed out on. In this case, Blue Peep might love Alexander, but he already has two running backs, so he takes Tony Gonzalez, Culpepper or McNabb instead. But maybe Peep wouldn't have taken two backs because he knew he could get Alexander later. Which raises the question - would anyone have used a pariah in the first round? Well, if nobody else did, Peep sure would. He'd take two guys he likes and pariah a third that he wants later. This would take away some of the ability to create massive position runs in the first two rounds, but it would still make those position runs a huge strategic decision.

Maybe you should have to accrue a Pariah every 2 rounds. If you trade a pick and you don't have a pick that round you have to wait till the next round and accrue a Pariah and use it when you want.

An early thought.
Interesting idea....you start with 1 Pariah, and for every 2 completed rounds, you are granted another, however you are under no obligation to use them. So, you could conceivably begin round 5 with 3 Pariah's (1 given, 2 earned) and use them in rounds 5, 6, and 7. Something like that would put more Pariah's in the mid-rounds, which might make things a lot more interesting when otherwise similar WRs and RBs are being selected...Colin

Maybe you should have to accrue a Pariah every 2 rounds. If you trade a pick and you don't have a pick that round you have to wait till the next round and accrue a Pariah and use it when you want.

An early thought.
Interesting idea....you start with 1 Pariah, and for every 2 completed rounds, you are granted another, however you are under no obligation to use them. So, you could conceivably begin round 5 with 3 Pariah's (1 given, 2 earned) and use them in rounds 5, 6, and 7. Something like that would put more Pariah's in the mid-rounds, which might make things a lot more interesting when otherwise similar WRs and RBs are being selected...Colin
You guys are MAAAD scientists I tell ya! :thumbup: I like all of the ideas I have heard so far......

Another idea that might be interesting: In the last round of the draft, you can unpariah one pick.  That way the guy with the last pick in the first gets first choice of the players that he missed out on.  In this case, Blue Peep might love Alexander, but he already has two running backs, so he takes Tony Gonzalez, Culpepper or McNabb instead.  But maybe Peep wouldn't have taken two backs because he knew he could get Alexander later.  Which raises the question - would anyone have used a pariah in the first round?  Well, if nobody else did, Peep sure would.  He'd take two guys he likes and pariah a third that he wants later. 

This would take away some of the ability to create massive position runs in the first two rounds, but it would still make those position runs a huge strategic decision.
:thumbup: Nice CowboyFred

That throws a lot more into the equation - I like the UN-PARIAH.

An early thought.
Exactly...start with 1 Pariah and you have to complete 2 more rounds to accure another Pariah. You can save all Pariah's till whenever. I guess you could also have a few options. Maybe use them rounds 5,6, and 7 or maybe you can't use them back to back rounds but you could use them round 5, 7, and 9 etc..I think the 1 thing that would concern me with using Pariah's at the beginning of the draft is someone being able to use a Pariah round 1 and round 2. That takes a lot of talent off the board especially if everyone is doing it. The real fun is to strategize when to use your Pariah..

1.1. IWannaBeBostonfred - LT2 (P: S.Alexander)1.2. Wood - Edgerrin James (P:Deuce McAllister)1.3. Elway - McGahee P:HOlmes1.4. Colin - Manning P:CUlpepper1.5. datonn - Jamal Lewis1.6. Hitmen - Clinton Portis1.7.Bicycle Seat Sniffers - Rudi Johnson P:C.Dillon1.8. Broadway - K.Jones P:Tiki Barber1.9. Jackal - Moss P: Owens1.10. Blue Peep: Dom Davis2.1 Blue Peep: S.Jackson2.2. Jackal - Julius Jones P: Tatum Bell2.03 Broadway - Antonio Gates P:Tony Gonzalez2.04 Sniffers - Ahman Green2.05 Hitmen - Curtis Martin2.06 datonn - Chad Johnson 2.07 COlin - Torry Holt P: Donovan McNabb2.08 Elway - Marc Bulger P: Kerry COllins2.09 Wood - LaMont Jordan P: B. Westbrook2.10 IWannaBeBostonfred - Trent Green P: Brett Favre3.01 IWannaBeBostonfred - Cadillac Williams P: Matt Hasselbeck

Hi FM, I'll be trying to do a mock or two each week for the next month or so in an effort to fine-tune the rules. So I'll definitely catch you on the next one.IwannabeDavidBoston is OTC.

Hi FM, I'll be trying to do a mock or two each week for the next month or so in an effort to fine-tune the rules. So I'll definitely catch you on the next one.

IwannabeDavidBoston is OTC.
Just ran this concept by one of my partners in my fund who also happens to be an FBG subscriber and he had some interesting observations:1) Thinks this will make a serpentine draft potentially too lopsided in that early picks not only have the advantage of drafting the highest VBD players but also doubling the potential "true" VBD by eliminating other first round talent

2) Thinks this would be ideal for an auction draft whereby someone who wins a bid on a player can in turn Pariah someone a finite number of times. Auctioners would have to figure in some massive inflation and be ready to adjust their values on the fly as players are removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread