What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pass Rusher Metric Study (1 Viewer)

Whitney26

Footballguy
I've been fascinated with combine and pro day metrics for the past few years, and I finally got it organized in a manner to do some research. I'm obviously an amateur, but I took some basic metrics and applied it to 1750 players from the DL, DE, and LB groups to see if it was possible to identify anything of meaning. It's a work in progress, but I thought some IDP'ers might have an interest in what I came up with:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tSHEXhceGdZDvPCMY-5DvysP2bEcNXtKcO2KclaC-OY/pubIt's a work in progress, but I'm open to any criticism or advise on how to improve it. I'm going to include this years class in the next couple of weeks.

It's a work in progress, but I'm open to any criticism or advise on how to improve it. I'm going to include this years class in the next couple of weeks.
I gave it a cursory looksee and there's a lot of interesting information there. I really need to give it a much better look before I'd have any comments on it, but just so I'm clear....the "formulae" that you're using to generate the various ratings, outside of the Production Ratio, are coming solely and completely from nothing other than each players results from their drills correct? As far as the PR goes...that was determined from career collegiate statistics? Or am I misunderstanding?Certainly intend to give it a closer look when I get some time. Thanks for doing this.

Last edited by a moderator:
'5-ish Finkle said:
It's a work in progress, but I'm open to any criticism or advise on how to improve it. I'm going to include this years class in the next couple of weeks.
I gave it a cursory looksee and there's a lot of interesting information there. I really need to give it a much better look before I'd have any comments on it, but just so I'm clear....the "formulae" that you're using to generate the various ratings, outside of the Production Ratio, are coming solely and completely from nothing other than each players results from their drills correct? As far as the PR goes...that was determined from career collegiate statistics? Or am I misunderstanding?Certainly intend to give it a closer look when I get some time. Thanks for doing this.Thanks 5-ish Finkle - You are correct. I use the combine data when available since it's assumed to be more uniform data. However, I heard today that scouts would use pro-day data "if" they were better than the combine. If that's the case, I'll have to go back and rework some of the entries. It's been a struggle locating data before 2005 or so, and it's required a lot of digging. I've got the numbers for 8000 - 9000 players of which 1750 are players from the DL & LB positions. As you probably know, I'm not very good at the presentation, and I don't do that good of a job explaining things. The PR is pretty simple though. I'd like to calculate it by their stats accumulated over their career at the NCAA level, but I can't find a central location that contains the information. Instead, I'm using their final season of production. I add the total sacks and tackles-for-loss and divide it by the number of games played. This is actually one that Pat Kirwan used during his time in the league. I appreciate you taking the time to look at it, and look forward to hearing any thoughts or ideas to how improve it.

'Jene Bramel said:
:blackdot: Looking forward to checking this out.
Hey Jene,I know you're swamped and don't have much time, but any thoughts you have would really be helpful. I'd like to break something down like this across every position to see if offers any value. I'm still working on the DL to see if I can break it down futher.......NT types, Explosive 3-Techs, Non-Explosive 3-Techs. So far, the data has been impressive......to me anyway. Like I told 5-ish Finkle, my presentation skills stink, and I have a hard time getting my point across. I'm definitely not a writer.

Users who are viewing this thread