What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patriot wideouts (1 Viewer)

Boston

Footballguy
Very good read here. Really sums up the Patriots WR situation for 2005 and the next year. I'm expecting big changes in this group and nothing would surprise me. They went after Mason hard last year so I really believe this is an area they want to upgrade. How they do it is the big question and there's a good chance they'll have to get pretty creative to accomplish it.

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=...d=15322&pcid=41

youre all over the hot topics, Boston.....that Tom Brady COIN TOSS at the SB, I mean naturally. No. Dont sweat the small stuff.....til it happens. Dwight is gone. I like the guy....just not as a WR on our beloved Pats. Bethel has had his chances...he's walking wounded. Id expect Brown will be back as the 5th man. He's NE's Darrell Green, a future HOFer and playing from year to year at this point, but with a career in broadcasting to fall back on, so money isnt an issue with him....how he ends his career is. He doesnt have much speed, so if the front office is looking for that he may be outskie. Givens is coming back....Im standing by that. His value is far too high....to the Pats moreso than any other team. They'll do what they have to do with him, as they did with Seymour and every other lifer/differnce maker with the club. Dont sweat that...until he's wearing some other team's colors, I wont write him off. Davis is questionable. He really didnt show me much this year...an occasional big grab, but not much. We really need some speed on the outside. Branch isnt really a deep threat despite having speed. Thats not really his thing. But we have to find more deep threat speed to keep Ds honest. Who will fill that role??....thats the big ??? I like RandleEl's name being mentioned here, but he seems like a must sign for the Steelers, but crossing the fingers wouldnt hurt. I dont know, man. Theyll find a way to get something done. Nice article. The Brady mention was the highlight to me though....

Troy Brown won't get within sniffing distance of the hall. He is Wayne Chrebet without the injuries.
Cmon, Csonk. Wayne Chrebet?? You can do better than that. Atleast give me Andre Rison. Well, maybe not Andre Rison. Dont slap me in the face with an anvil with the Chrebet comparison. Could Chrebet or HAS Chrebet returned punts for TDs in title games or covered fast WRs in the slot when called upon?? The man's versatility is unparalleled in this day and age. He's a throwback, and when the time comes for veterans to take a look at a man with 3 rings and 4 SB appearances and served as a captain and a leader on World Championship clubs, believe me, he'll get strong consideration. I didnt say he'd get in his first 5 years, but down the road its without question a possibility. Dont be a numbers cruncher with my man Brown. He could steal your morning doughnut from you and replace it with a bagel and cream cheese before youre off the toilet...he's that good.

He's an overachiever like Chrebet. Yes he is faster, but has ever truly be dominant. Also the slow broken down Chrebet isn't the Chrebet I'm talking about its the Chrebet who was able to cut on a dime, who set a record for the most receptions through the first 3 years in the league that I am comparing him to.......

He's an overachiever like Chrebet. Yes he is faster, but has ever truly be dominant. Also the slow broken down Chrebet isn't the Chrebet I'm talking about its the Chrebet who was able to cut on a dime, who set a record for the most receptions through the first 3 years in the league that I am comparing him to.......
Chrebet? Again, when did Chrebet play corner against playoff and superbowl caliber talent, and succeed at it? When was Chrebet one of the top players in the league at punt returns? When did Chrebet make a 30 yard play with less than :30 to play in the SB, and get out of bounds to stop the clock, to allow Vinatieri to make a kick? What 4 Superbowls did Chrebet play in? When did he get his 3 rings? Brown is very, very underrated, because of the Patriot philosophy of spreading the ball around, but make no mistake, he is one of the most important cogs in the recent Pats run. I'm not saying he's a lock, but he'll at least be a finalist, and may get in.

This thread is a quote goldmine.

First of all, I love Troy Brown, but you guys are crazy if you think he's a Hall of Famer.

And secondly,

Dont be a numbers cruncher with my man Brown. He could steal your morning doughnut from you and replace it with a bagel and cream cheese before youre off the toilet...he's that good.
WTF?

Jurevicius to the Pats would be a good pickup. I think they are going to be using a lot more of their TEs next year, and maybe trying to utilize more passing out of the backfield.I don't see it being a problem.

Troy Brown had 281 receptions for 3000+ yards in a three year span while helping the Patriots win a Superbowl, then saw his offensive numbers decline when he started playing critical roles on offense, defense and special teams.

Givens is coming back....Im standing by that. His value is far too high....to the Pats moreso than any other team.
Once a player is on the market, his "value" = $. Any team's money is accepted at the bank, so the Patriots do not have any leverage when another team offers a longer term deal with a much higher signing bonus. If the Patriots considered Givens as a long-term key part of the team, they'd have made a move to sign him to a contract longer than 1 year last winter to keep him off the FA market.

First of all, I love Troy Brown, but you guys are crazy if you think he's a Hall of Famer.
I have to agree 100%.I have serious doubts that he will be back next year. If anything I could see him stepping into a coaching role, but I have a hard time seeing him on the Pat's unless they somehow get shutout going after other WR's.I think Givens is as good as gone too. You only have to look at what happened the year before with David Patten. One of the other 31 teams out there will make Givens an offer that the Patriots won't want to match.I do think Davis will be brought back, and I think there's a good chance that Dwight will be as well. They both have experience as returners and we will need someone with those skills.

I'd honestly be shocked if Givens returns to New England next season. Deion Branch has one year left on his contract going into next season, and I have to believe he'll be the priority at WR. I don't see the Pats shelling out big bucks to retain both.

Joe J from Seattle is rumoured to be on Coach Bill's radar - a great and large target for Brady to go with those TE's.The Pats have some rebuilding to do - their RB spot needs some work too!

So Shaun Alexander and David Givens are in the exact same situation, eh???? And does anyone honestly think Alexander is about to leave a SB contending team to take a job in AZ, San Fran or Cleveland??? Honestly. Alexander is staying with the club he is retiring with because he's that kindof guy. Can we not believe that some guys simply ARE NOT all about the money? And the doughnut and bagel thing.......I dont know, it made sense at the time. Look, dont beat Troy Brown down for the HOF remarks, but take a look at Lynn Swann's career achievments outside of his SB games and youlll see a rather less than ordinary career. Where is he right now??.....with his SEVERAL SB rings? What Troy Brown has done in his 4 SB games and playoff runs leading there are no less significant outside of the beautifully poetic catches we'll see on film in highlights from now til the end of time.

So Shaun Alexander and David Givens are in the exact same situation, eh???? And does anyone honestly think Alexander is about to leave a SB contending team to take a job in AZ, San Fran or Cleveland??? Honestly. Alexander is staying with the club he is retiring with because he's that kindof guy. Can we not believe that some guys simply ARE NOT all about the money?
If that's the case, why has Alexander not re-signed yet? Why is he on the cusp of unrestricted free agency?Answer: $

Don't get me wrong, Troy is great for the Patriots...but does not have the kind of numbers that will get him voted into the HOF.

Troy Brown:

175 Games, 514 receptions 5982 yards, 11.6 avg yards receiving 27 TDs

Add in 49 repceptions, 597 yards, and 2 TDs during 14 post season games

Seasons among the league's top 10

Receptions: 2001-5, 2002-6t

Receiving yards: 2001-10

* I know this does not count what he did on the defensive side of the ball

Troy Brown Stats

Lynn Swann:

110 Games, 336 receptions, 5462 yards, 16.3 avg yards receiving, 51 TDs

Add in 43 receptions, 830 yards, and 8 TDS in 13 post season games.

Seasons among the league's top 10

Receptions: 1977-7t, 1978-7t

Receiving yards: 1975-8, 1977-4, 1978-7

Receiving TDs: 1975-1t, 1977-6t, 1978-2

Rush/Receive TDs: 1975-7t, 1978-5t

Lynn Swann Stats

Last edited by a moderator:
"He's a throwback, and when the time comes for veterans to take a look at a man with 3 rings and 4 SB appearances and served as a captain and a leader on World Championship clubs, believe me, he'll get strong consideration."

IIRC--Brown has only appeared in 3 Super Bowls. Parcells left him off the roster in SB XXXI, then Howard ran the kickoff back right down the alley Brown would have been responsible for on the coverage.

I love Brown as much as any Pats fan, but Hall of Fame? No.

Andre Tippet on the other hand...100 career sacks and Harry Carson gets in?

Givens is coming back....Im standing by that.  His value is far too high....to the Pats moreso than any other team.
Once a player is on the market, his "value" = $. Any team's money is accepted at the bank, so the Patriots do not have any leverage when another team offers a longer term deal with a much higher signing bonus. If the Patriots considered Givens as a long-term key part of the team, they'd have made a move to sign him to a contract longer than 1 year last winter to keep him off the FA market.
Exactly. Givens has proven to be a decent starting WR. But the guy is far from a standout. The Patriots have proven that they can shuffle the deck at almost any position -- so how exactly is Givens worth more to the Patriots than anyone else? That makes no sense...If I were a Pats fan, I'd say good riddance to Givens if he thinks he deserves a huge contract. The guy simply isn't a difference-maker.

This has to be a joke.

Troy Brown would not even start on 95% of NFL teams and he will be a HOF.

AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AHh

This has to be a joke.
Very well put, if you're referring to your own post.
Cmon dont tell me that Troy Brown should be a HOF .And i still say that the only reason he was ever a starter is because he played on a NE offense that has nt had a decent WR for the last 5 to 10 years.

This has to be a joke.
Very well put, if you're referring to your own post.
Cmon dont tell me that Troy Brown should be a HOF .And i still say that the only reason he was ever a starter is because he played on a NE offense that has nt had a decent WR for the last 5 to 10 years.
But 3 Lombardi Trophies, a SB MVP at WR, a 100 catch WR...

Users who are viewing this thread