What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning's destination (1 Viewer)

BTW, 49er HQ and the practice facility are near San Jose, which is very warm and toasty at times. Given Manning's longevity and Santa Clara Plays Fair going away for good, he could be opening the new Stadium right next to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why isn't Jacksonville in this conversation? From what I've read lately they're top 10 in cap space. And lord knows they need a QB more than anyone right now. ..
Although they also need wide receivers and offensive line help. The more I think about it, the more I think he won't sign in the AFC South or NFC East.

What does Jeff Saturday have left in the tank? Saturday may be a more realistic "package deal" than Wayne. Just makes too much sense.

He can throw to anyone, but who is protecting his chin?

Using that as a baseline: I don't see Saturday as a upgrade in Houston. Whereas Wayne and Saturday would be huge in Seattle. But, is money Peyton's driving factor? Do the three of them have enough in the tank to make a difference?

From left field ... Here's a wrinkle, why haven't we heard more about Tennessee? Peyton goes "home"? Britt, Williams, Washington, CJ3 ... plenty of weapons in a weak division. Indy and Jax rebuilding = four wins.

Washington won't happen. I don't see him competing against his brother twice a year for any amount of money.

Miami? Is he enough to "make the turn" in a tough division? Manning, Jets D, Buffalo ahead in rebuild than other division options he'd have.

Jets? Would be interested to have two Mannings in the same building. But, are the Jets close enough that Manning can calm the locker room of distress? And who takes Sanchez? He wouldn't sit without being a distraction.

Arizona seems plausible, but do they want to take him on now? Saturday and Wayne could be just as influential here as Seattle in making a difference. Can they afford to take them all on? Does Kolb get kicked to the curb? Could they afford not to?

What does Peyton actually have left? Will anyone know enough before the NFL Draft to take the risk and sign him? After the draft the options surely dwindle.

My $0.02:

Probable: Seattle, then Arizona

Dark Horse: Tennessee

Wouldn't be surprised: NYJ

Manning and Alex Smith have the same agent. I would think the agent (Tom Condon) would want nothing to do with the 49ers signing Manning. The 49ers have an offer out for Smith. Think they'll get it done before free agency starts. Manning goes elsewhere.

I've seen a lot of people state that Manning would only go to a warm-weather city. Is that based on any statements he or his father have made? Or is it just an assumption based off him spending his pro career in a dome?
I don't know where it's come from either. Indianapolis area is a cold place but the stadium itself is a dome. SF area has some warm areas to live but the stadium itself can get chilly. And does anyone think Peyton would turn down a million to go play in a warmer city if all else were equal?Let's focus on the cap room: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-nfl-salary-cap-teams-2012,0,5969798.htmlstory

Chiefs, Dolphins, look like strong gambles at this point.
Why wouldn't Seattle look strong? They have the richest owner in the NFL and more cap room than the phins. Just sayin.

Why isn't Jacksonville in this conversation? From what I've read lately they're top 10 in cap space. And lord knows they need a QB more than anyone right now. ..
Although they also need wide receivers and offensive line help. The more I think about it, the more I think he won't sign in the AFC South or NFC East.
I've wondered about that too. I'd bet he would though.If he doesn't want to ever be in a playoff battle with his brother, the NFC just might not work. The Giants pretty much live in the Wild Card hunt every year. Anywhere in the NFC and he'll likely be competing against Eli for a playoff spot.

The Colts are in rebuilding mode and the expectation isn't that they'll be competing for a playoff spot anytime soon. It wouldn't have that "stick to the Colts" feel to it.

If anything, I'm sure the Colts fans would love a chance to watch him play there every year.

If he wants to be in the AFC, it seems like he'd have to consider the South. The Texans, Titans, and Jags all make decent candidates (Texans excellent if they could make it work).

I think you guys are missing the most the important point.

San Fran :

Bret Swain

New York Jets:

Logan Payne

Washington Redskins:

Terrence Austin

Miami Dolphins :

Roberto Wallace

Jaxsonville Jaguars :

Brian Robiskie

Tennessee Titans :

Kenny Britt :

Arizona Cardinals :

Stephen Williams

Seattle Seahawks :

Sidney Rice

Houston Texans :

Lestar Jean

-----------

I know Kenny and Sidney won't be giving up #18 for no QB :P .

I heard a report Sydney Rice would give up #18 to Manning...nuff said.
In my research I was hoping to find a team without a player wearing #18. Seems that there are a lot of wr's out there using that number. Perhaps a lot of insignificant players, but players that would take a bounty :) .After I found so many players with that number, I also wanted people to start considering Manning playing next year without that enshrined #18. Now that would definitely feel out of place.

Marshall Faulk said Manning will retire #18 and wear #16.

Faulk spoke like he had insider info. Thought he'd end in Miami (favorite) or NYJ. And that you could eliminate the interested NFC teams due to Eli's presence.

Marshall Faulk said Manning will retire #18 and wear #16.Faulk spoke like he had insider info. Thought he'd end in Miami (favorite) or NYJ. And that you could eliminate the interested NFC teams due to Eli's presence.
Yep. Heard it as well.Made sense given Eli's decision upon entering league.
Sounds like leverage to drive up the asking cost to NFC teams to me.

Manning just landed in Miami - Phins fans are losing their mind at thephins.com. Nevermind that he has a home in South Florida, THIS IS THE REAL THING OMG OMG!

:pray:

Citing persons with knowledge of the team's strategy, The Washington Post reports that the Redskins plan to aggressively pursue signing Manning and two indicated that it would not preclude the team from trying to attempt to acquire Robert Griffin III or another quarterback in the draft.

Apparently Tony Dungy is stupid or trolling.

Just before Peyton Manning bid farewell to the Indianapolis Colts (and vice versa), his old coach, Tony Dungy, was touting the 49ers as an ideal suitor for the four-time league MVP.“You put Peyton Manning in that offense and people are going to be scared to play them,” Dungy told on the NFL Network. “There are other teams that fit that same feel, but San Francisco comes to the top of my mind.”

Apparently Tony Dungy is stupid or trolling.

Just before Peyton Manning bid farewell to the Indianapolis Colts (and vice versa), his old coach, Tony Dungy, was touting the 49ers as an ideal suitor for the four-time league MVP.“You put Peyton Manning in that offense and people are going to be scared to play them,” Dungy told on the NFL Network. “There are other teams that fit that same feel, but San Francisco comes to the top of my mind.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/jerry-rice-believes-49ers-pursue-peyton-manning-225237826.html;_ylt=AnMseWJoqLPc27lYGUsKyW9DubYF
The best receiver of all time, and either the first- or second-best player in franchise history (depending on your feelings for Joe Montana) told the Marin Independent Journal on Tuesday that his old team should go all out for the kind of quarterback not seen in San Francisco since the salad days of Steve Young. Rice thinks that when the Indianapolis Colts release Peyton Manning instead of playing his $28 million option bonus (according to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, that will happen on Wednesday), Harbaugh -- who was replaced by Manning as the Colts' starting quarterback in 1998 -- should be on that free-agency opportunity as quickly as possible."I think you go for it," Rice said. "A guy of that talent, you've got everything in place. You've got a defense that smacks you in the mouth. You just need a little more out of the offense. That's not knocking what Alex [smith] did. [Manning] can take you to a whole different level."If he goes to the Washington Redskins, I guarantee they win 10 games. If he goes to Miami, they win 10 games," Rice said. Smith is also a free agent, which means that the 49ers could go in many different directions at the position.
All this means is the 49ers stand pat with Alex Smith. Which sucks.

Faulk spoke like he had insider info. Thought he'd end in Miami (favorite) or NYJ. And that you could eliminate the interested NFC teams due to Eli's presence.
That makes no sense at all. nuff said.
Is this like your tagline or something? It's not helping your credibility buddy.
No worse than the guys that feel the need to add their username to close out every post.sports_fan

Is this like your tagline or something? It's not helping your credibility buddy.
Nope, just trolling those easily trolled.nuff said.

No worse than the guys that feel the need to add their username to close out every post.sports_fan

this random s!!t is what makes threads 20 pages long and spreads out good content within. Users on the boards who can't read through hours of posts have to just enter the last page and hope to get in on the conversation. I'll exit out of whatever it is you guys are trying to prove to one another and hope that you can provide better material from here out. I apologize to everyone else.

So he wouldn't want to play in the same conference due to Eli's presence, but he'd have no problem playing in the same stadium?

So he wouldn't want to play in the same conference due to Eli's presence, but he'd have no problem playing in the same stadium?
Dude of course. Could you imagine the hyperbowl that we would get with two Manning's in the same conference? The two games during the season would be the NFC East superbowl.

Yes, he doesn't want to be in same conference as Eli. (Same reason why Eli didn't want to go to SD upon entering league -- with Peyton's AFC Colts)Faulk heavily favored him heading to Miami.

Anything you can do......

who's miami have for pass blocking backs?

i know reggie isn't the greatest don't know anything about thomas .

would you make a move to sign tolbert and go o-line with the #1 pick?

I wonder how Schaub is doing in HOU. I thought his injury could be career threatening. It would not suck to see Manning in the HOU offense from a FF perspective.

I wonder how Schaub is doing in HOU. I thought his injury could be career threatening. It would not suck to see Manning in the HOU offense from a FF perspective.
We are actually the best fit for him. He would take less hits with us because of our running game and line. Our defense is solid and the division is a pushover (guaranteed playoff spot). Why compete with NE or Pit (and get killed in the process) for the division? Plus we have a stud WR and TE. I just don't trust our leadership to have the balls to make it happen.

Well if it's true that Peyton wants to avoid NFC teams to set up a potential Manning vs. Manning Super Bowl, I guess we can rule out the Dolphins too.

Sorry. Jets fan. Had to say it. :boxing:

Dude of course. Could you imagine the hyperbowl that we would get with two Manning's in the same conference? The two games during the season would be the NFC East superbowl.
The conference is the NFC, and Arizona is one of the interested NFC teams who doesn't play the Giants this year. I'd think there would be more hype playing in the same city and stadium than there would be over the possibility of meeting in the playoffs.

We are actually the best fit for him. He would take less hits with us because of our running game and line. Our defense is solid and the division is a pushover (guaranteed playoff spot). Why compete with NE or Pit (and get killed in the process) for the division? Plus we have a stud WR and TE. I just don't trust our leadership to have the balls to make it happen.
Been thinking the same thing. Hou is an excellent team that few people are talking about. The pieces are there and he gets to play against Indy twice a year to remind them what they gave up. No matter how amicable the split, those victories just taste better.

kansas city.

the chiefs have the cap space, talent on offense (JC coming back), a young and potential GREAT defense (with eric berry coming back),low key city. why not?

heard he wasnt interested in houston... can't remember where off the top of my head.

My gut tells me Miami is doing its due dilligence, but in the end Philbin will get his guy (Matt Flynn).

I think the Ravens are in play. They just need someone to get them past that hump while the window is still open. Manning is that guy. Realistically, KC should be the front runner in the AFC if Miami doesn't land him. However, I've come to expect smart personnel moves from the Ravens, so that is where I think he'll end up.

Nothing matters about Peyton's free agency except what Peyton wants to do.

While this is always the case (players sign with teams; teams don't sign players), it will never be more the case than now. This guy just got 20 million to have neck surgeries and refused to not get all of his 28 million when he wanted. His brother Eli forced a trade from the Chargers to the Giants. The way he dictates on the field is the way that family dictates off the field. Today was designed to not make Manning look like a greedy SOB, when at the end of the day he acted on his best interest just like any other player who has the leverage to do so.

Manning plays where Manning wants for the money Manning wants (within reason on both). If Manning truly wishes to play for the Texans, it a great chance of happening. Otherwise this has nothing to McNair or Smith or Kubiak.

Users who are viewing this thread