What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

PFT Rumor: Niners mulling trade for Rivers (1 Viewer)

FYI, Curious if this has any substance or it's just a rumor making the rounds

49ers: Rivers mentioned in No. 1 overall pick trade rumor

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Monday, March 28, 2005

News

There are rumors of trade talks between the 49ers and Chargers involving the No. 1 overall pick in next month's draft, according to an ESPN website report. In exchange for giving up the first pick in the draft, the Niners would get quarterback Philip Rivers from the Chargers. Rivers, who was selected with the No. 4 overall pick and acquired by the Chargers in the Eli Manning trade, played a backup role last season due to the surprising success of starter Drew Brees.

Views

It's hard to say whether this trade will come to fruition, but it makes sense for both clubs if the Niners feel that Rivers has more upside than rookie signal callers Alex Smith (Utah) and Aaron Rodgers (California). Meanwhile, the Chargers would gain the top pick in the draft which they could use to select a wide receiver such as Braylon Edwards (Michigan) or Mike Williams (USC). We'll continue to follow this potential story and keep you posted on all of trade rumors leading up to draft day.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

Last edited by a moderator:
Also reported on ESPN Mar. 28 - Scouts Inc. is hearing that the 49ers are considering trading the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft to the Chargers in exchange for second-year QB Philip Rivers. The deal would give the Chargers three first-round picks (1, 12, 28) and the 49ers a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft. Rivers grades out considerably higher than Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith.

For fantasy football purposes I wouldn't mind seeing this because I have Rivers in a Dynasty league...although SF still needs a lot of help.In real life though it does make a lot of sense for SF to make this deal because they get a QB that is just as good if not better than Rodgers and Smith and they won't have to take as much as a cap hit than trying to sign the #1 draft pick this year.If I were SD I probably wouldn't make this trade. With just one year of winning under Brees' belt I wouldn't put all my faith in him to repeat last year's numbers. That's a very big risk to take. With 2 first round picks I think they could pick up clayton or Willaimson without having to give up Rivers.

Also reported on ESPN

Mar. 28 - Scouts Inc. is hearing that the 49ers are considering trading the No. 1 overall pick in this year's draft to the Chargers in exchange for second-year QB Philip Rivers. The deal would give the Chargers three first-round picks (1, 12, 28) and the 49ers a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft. Rivers grades out considerably higher than Cal's Aaron Rodgers and Utah's Alex Smith.
Oh man...PFT is going to get pissed over ESPN jacking their story and not citing them.

If I were SD I probably wouldn't make this trade. With just one year of winning under Brees' belt I wouldn't put all my faith in him to repeat last year's numbers. That's a very big risk to take. With 2 first round picks I think they could pick up clayton or Willaimson without having to give up Rivers.
I agree - the trade makes very little sense for SD unless Rivers is the second coming of Ryan Leaf. They'd take a huge cap hit for a chance to draft a RB or a WR, the WR they could get by trading with a number of other teams.

BTW, listening to the mighty 1090 on the way home (Charger and Padre home station) and "Philly Billy" Werdell reported that he talked to 2 people in NFL front offices today that mentioned a Brees to the 49ers for a 1st and a 3rd rumor is circulating.If the Chargers deal Rivers, they're IDIOTS.

BTW, listening to the mighty 1090 on the way home (Charger and Padre home station) and "Philly Billy" Werdell reported that he talked to 2 people in NFL front offices today that mentioned a Brees to the 49ers for a 1st and a 3rd rumor is circulating.

If the Chargers deal Rivers, they're IDIOTS.
Surely San Fran isn't that dumb. I'm beginning to think the rest of the league has a soft spot for the powder blues. If that's the case, I hope Carolina trades Delhomme for those picks.

BTW, listening to the mighty 1090 on the way home (Charger and Padre home station) and "Philly Billy" Werdell reported that he talked to 2 people in NFL front offices today that mentioned a Brees to the 49ers for a 1st and a 3rd rumor is circulating.

Surely San Fran isn't that dumb. I'm beginning to think the rest of the league has a soft spot for the powder blues. If that's the case, I hope Carolina trades Delhomme for those picks.
Hey, i'm with you - i don't think Brees is a legit Pro-Bowler year in and year out.But I don't think Rodgers or Smith are locks either. I think SF is very reluctant to pay #1 overall signing bonus money to Smith or Rodgers, and Brees comes far cheaper and is much safer.

Nice deal for the 49ers. Bad deal for SD since it erases the two good draft moves they made with Vick and Manning all in one blow essentially.Ideally, I think they should stick with super cheap Rattay and get him an o-line and WR. There were so many good WRs FA just a few weeks ago and they sat on their asses doing nothing. Guess they are banking on Rashaun Woods and Derrick Hamilton stepping their game up this year. Not a bad gamble really.

I don't understand this Rivers circle-jerk by SD fans. Dude hasn't even played yet, and after your Ryan Leaf debacle, one would think you'd be satisfied, or even excited, with Brees' stellar performance last year rather than drooling over the "potential" of some hyped-up, inexperienced rookie like PR. Teams are desperate for solid quarterbacking in this league.. why are you so eager to toss aside a proven commodity for "potential"? Get value from Rivers, take the cap hit like every single team does every single year and never look back.

Now is not the time for rebuilding.. it's time for San Diego to win.

Nice deal for the 49ers. Bad deal for SD since it erases the two good draft moves they made with Vick and Manning all in one blow essentially.Ideally, I think they should stick with super cheap Rattay and get him an o-line and WR. There were so many good WRs FA just a few weeks ago and they sat on their asses doing nothing. Guess they are banking on Rashaun Woods and Derrick Hamilton stepping their game up this year. Not a bad gamble really.
How so? If they trade Rivers, it seems like they traded the rights to Vick and their first in 2004 for:

Drew Brees (starting QB)

LaDainian Tomlinson

A third in 2004

The Giants' first in 2005

The first overall pick in 2005

Not bad considering.

So, the original signing bonus is a moot point at this juncture?!? Just lost money or a different type of structure that I'm unaware of? I guess I'm asking Fred because he seems to have all the answers these days. ;)

Most teams eat big contracts because players fail. San Diego would be doing it in favor of a proven player and excellent compensation for the player lost.

I don't understand this Rivers circle-jerk by SD fans. Dude hasn't even played yet, and after your Ryan Leaf debacle, one would think you'd be satisfied, or even excited, with Brees' stellar performance last year rather than drooling over the "potential" of some hyped-up, inexperienced rookie like PR. Teams are desperate for solid quarterbacking in this league.. why are you so eager to toss aside a proven commodity for "potential"? Get value from Rivers, take the cap hit like every single team does every single year and never look back.

Now is not the time for rebuilding.. it's time for San Diego to win.
If they either got Rattay in the deal or signed a good backup, I'd be ok with this. As it is, they're better off keeping Rivers."Teams are desperate for solid quarterbacking in this league.. " - :yes: so why not keep both and have that position locked up instead of risking regression by Brees or an injury, and suddenly you're starting Cleo Lemon, and you're back to trying to run LT against 9 man fronts?

A straight #1 for Rivers make no sense.

But, #1 for SD's 2nd first round pick and Rivers makes a lot of sense for San Fran.

Does it make sense for San Diego? Figure, the 1.01 would be MW or Edwards, which would address a huge need, SD is unlikely to get a comparable WR otherwise.

But the cap hit may make it impossible, and how likely is the team to deal Rivers anyway?
I've actually seen this same rumor in the San Francisco Examiner online a few days ago, the only difference was that they were saying that S.F. would also receive one of San Diego's 2 1st round picks. That might explain how S.D. would be able to afford getting the #1 overall pick, plus having to pay their other 1st rounders as well.

It also allows you to see how much it would benefit S.F. to do this trade.

San Diego would need to get something else in return, wouldn't they? Rivers AND one of their #1s for the first pick seems like a bit of a rip off to me.

San Diego would need to get something else in return, wouldn't they? Rivers AND one of their #1s for the first pick seems like a bit of a rip off to me.
it would assure them that they could draft "their guy", who apparently is Braylon Edwards.

it would assure them that they could draft "their guy", who apparently is Braylon Edwards.
Oh sure, but I'd still get a 3rd or 4th from the 49ers as well.

A straight #1 for Rivers make no sense.

But, #1 for SD's 2nd first round pick and Rivers makes a lot of sense for San Fran.

Does it make sense for San Diego? Figure, the 1.01 would be MW or Edwards, which would address a huge need, SD is unlikely to get a comparable WR otherwise.

But the cap hit may make it impossible, and how likely is the team to deal Rivers anyway?
I've actually seen this same rumor in the San Francisco Examiner online a few days ago, the only difference was that they were saying that S.F. would also receive one of San Diego's 2 1st round picks. That might explain how S.D. would be able to afford getting the #1 overall pick, plus having to pay their other 1st rounders as well.

It also allows you to see how much it would benefit S.F. to do this trade.
Yeah, I just wouldn't be in a rush to trade Rivers unless they gave an incredible deal. The 1.21 and Rivers for 1.01 doesn't quite "do it" for me, as much as I like Edwards or Williams.If I ran the Chargers, I'd hold out for:

Rivers, 1.21

for

Rattay, 1.01, 2006 1st

If Rivers truly is better than either of this year's QBs, the deal would basically be 1.21 for Rattay and the 06 1st, which seems workable.

I believe that the reason that this deal may actually come to fruition is because alot of the media in the bay area have been reporting that the 49ers are seriously considering passing on Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and selecting Braylon Edwards at 1.1, who is apparantly the guy that the Chargers also covet and want. Only way for the Chargers to get him is by getting the 49ers pick.Here's an article that I posted on March 13th on this board. The source is bayarea.com:

Big call for 49ers' Mr. Big

Tim Kawakami

Mercury News

Mike Nolan is on the clock, and he's already facing a monumental gut check that could define or undermine everything he wants to do as the 49ers' new Mr. Big.

He's a rookie coach on the clock, holding all of the 49ers' personnel power and the No. 1 pick in April's draft.

But here's what makes things interesting: Contrary to consensus opinion, I hear that Nolan isn't sold on Cal's Aaron Rodgers or Utah's Alex Smith, the quarterbacks at the top of the draft.

Unless Rodgers or Smith changes Nolan's mind at their private workouts next week, Nolan's top guy apparently is Michigan wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who doesn't project to superstardom but should be very good.

Edwards isn't Rashaun Woods (yikes!); but he's probably not Roy Williams or Anquan Boldin, either.

Nolan knows he can't trade the pick, even though he could get Edwards at a lower spot, because nobody wants to give up anything valuable to move up for Rodgers, Smith, Auburn running back Ronnie Brown or Edwards.

Nolan wants to make a point with this pick, because, well, he's new to the Mr. Big thing.

So there's good logic in skipping Rodgers and Smith (again, unless one of them is superlative next week), picking Edwards and getting a less-hyped QB like Akron's Charlie Frye, Auburn's Jason Campbell or Georgia's David Greene at the top of the second, third or even fourth round.

Nolan can probably live with a Frye or Campbell sitting for a year or two behind Tim Rattay or a veteran such as Brad Johnson.

So the pick, I believe, will be Edwards, to the surprise of many, amusement of some, and agreement from those of us who believe you always have to go with your heart and gut at the top of the NFL draft.

``This draft's got a lot of quarterbacks in it,'' Nolan said this week. ``There are several quarterbacks.''

And if I interpret that as a sign you're leaning away from taking a QB with the pick?

``I'm leaving it open,'' Nolan said. ``We can take anything. I will say that in regards to taking a quarterback in the draft, at some point we would.''

At some point. No. 1 overall, folks, is not ``some point.''

I happen to think that Rodgers is a fantastic prospect and that he's better than Joey Harrington, Kyle Boller, Drew Henson and several other very highly touted young QBs.

I think if you have a shot at a QB who could start right away and win big by Year 2, and if Rattay, Ken Dorsey and Cody Pickett are your current position holders, you take Rodgers or Smith.

But if Nolan loves Edwards, and if he's ready to take the heat for bypassing a bigger-name QB, then I respect that.

If Edwards is Jerry Rice Jr., and Rodgers and Smith look like Tim Couch and Cade McNown, then Nolan looks like a genius.

Of course, if Edwards turns into J.J. Stokes, and Rodgers or Smith turns into Donovan McNabb, then this will be a pick that lives in infamy.

Common sense (the 49ers need a quarterback), public-relations issues (the 49ers could sell more tickets with a young quarterback) and front-office sensibilities (wouldn't a young QB take the heat off a little?) argue against Edwards.

I would imagine that Jed and John York might have a few questions about the wisdom of using the No. 1 pick -- and paying an $18 million signing bonus, at minimum -- to someone who might catch 40 passes as a rookie.

I would think that Nolan and the Yorks know how much is riding on this.

I won't call it a potential power struggle, because I'm guessing Nolan's voice and intuition, so early in his reign, will carry the day quite easily.

But it will be the signature event of the Nolan tenure, at least until those Edgerrin James-for-Kevan Barlow-and-a-pick trade rumors start getting real legs. Or not.

I know this probably won't help ease the minds of Nolan or Jed York heading into this, but I'll add one last nugget: Before he was fired in January, Terry Donahue had pretty much decided that Edwards was the best player in the draft.

Donahue isn't on the clock anymore. Nolan is, and every tick brings us all closer to his first monumental decision.

I believe that the reason that this deal may actually come to fruition is because alot of the media in the bay area have been reporting that the 49ers are seriously considering passing on Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and selecting Braylon Edwards at 1.1, who is apparantly the guy that the Chargers also covet and want. Only way for the Chargers to get him is by getting the 49ers pick
If they believe the rumors, sure.But why would San Fran actually take another WR when that really isn't their weakness? (ONLY if they were reasonably sure they could get Leinhart in the Sup, which doesn't seem to be the case)

Let's see - Woods, Hamilton, Lloyd, Conway

Rattay, Dorsey....

Which appears weaker to you?

Sports radio WEEI in Boston mentioned this trade possiblity during their SportsFlash. It looks like it has legs. Now my question is, if this becomes a reality, why does SD choose Edwards over Williams? Rationale?

I believe that the reason that this deal may actually come to fruition is because alot of the media in the bay area have been reporting that the 49ers are seriously considering passing on Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers and selecting Braylon Edwards at 1.1, who is apparantly the guy that the Chargers also covet and want. Only way for the Chargers to get him is by getting the 49ers pick
If they believe the rumors, sure.But why would San Fran actually take another WR when that really isn't their weakness? (ONLY if they were reasonably sure they could get Leinhart in the Sup, which doesn't seem to be the case)

Let's see - Woods, Hamilton, Lloyd, Conway

Rattay, Dorsey....

Which appears weaker to you?
Good post. Who would fall for this? The 49ers would be asinine to take another WR. They need a QB. If the deal is even, I have no problem with SD doing it. But one of their firsts and Rivers for Edwards is not even. I agree that they should either get Rattay (or Dorsey, he's not a horrible backup), or another pick.

Sports radio WEEI in Boston mentioned this trade possiblity during their SportsFlash. It looks like it has legs. Now my question is, if this becomes a reality, why does SD choose Edwards over Williams? Rationale?
Alright, despite my feelings on it, assume they do it...There's very good reasons to take either one (part of the reason I wouldn't trade for #1, but #3 would be better).

Mike Williams

- Local boy, this isn't huge, but it does help with sales of jerseys, tickets, etc.

- More of a "sure thing"

- HANDS baby, all about the HANDS

- IMO, not a great deep threat; they already have Gates and LT for the short pass, but Brees isn't a great deep passer, and Marty likes the short, high percentage, low risk attack.

Braylon Edwards

- Brings a deep threat, currently lacking on the team

- High UPSIDE

- I hate to say it, but more of a possible bust, especially in this situation.

I'd take Mike, but they apparently want Edwards.

Mike and Mike just reported that this deal is closer than we thought...said it was on ESPN insider...
I was listening too. :thumbup: And :lol: at ESPN insider. Day late dollar short as usual.

It's listed on the Rumor Mill on ESPN Insider citing merely that "Scouts Inc is hearing" and goes on to suggest it would be Rivers for the 1st overall pick. Honestly, I believe (as someone already said in this thread), this is a case of the Internet using itself to create news.

I can't see San Diego doing this.They are so high on Rivers, and they can still take Clayton with 1 or their 1st round picks.Why trade away the possible future of your franchise to move up 11 spots, when you can get arguably an equally good WR???This just doesn't make any sense.

What has Rivers proved? They have to deal him soon anyway or play him. A first and Rivers for the #1 seems fair.

If Rivers truly is better than either of this year's QBs, the deal would basically be 1.21 for Rattay and the 06 1st, which seems workable.
A number of scouting services have Rodgers and Smith BOTH rated more highly than Rivers. Obviously, the ratings aren't in a vaccuum so there is no way to ensure we're comparing apple-to-apples, but its worth mentioning...The Sporting NEws
8.9 Ben Roethlisberger, Miami OH8.8 Eli Manning, Mississippi8.8 Aaron Rodgers, Cal8.6 Alex Smith, Utah8.4 Philip Rivers, NC St8.0 J.P. Losman, Tulane
Pro Football Weekly.
Smith 6.80Manning 6.75Rodgers 6.61Roethlisberger 6.60Rivers 6.15

A number of scouting services have Rodgers and Smith BOTH rated more highly than Rivers. Obviously, the ratings aren't in a vaccuum so there is no way to ensure we're comparing apple-to-apples, but its worth mentioning...The Sporting NEws

8.9 Ben Roethlisberger, Miami OH

8.8 Eli Manning, Mississippi

8.8 Aaron Rodgers, Cal

8.6 Alex Smith, Utah

8.4 Philip Rivers, NC St

8.0 J.P. Losman, Tulane
Pro Football Weekly.
Smith 6.80

Manning 6.75

Rodgers 6.61

Roethlisberger 6.60

Rivers 6.15
Knowing this, why was Rivers taken ahead of Big Ben?

8.9 Ben Roethlisberger, Miami OH

8.8 Eli Manning, Mississippi

8.8 Aaron Rodgers, Cal

8.6 Alex Smith, Utah

8.4 Philip Rivers, NC St

8.0 J.P. Losman, Tulane
Pro Football Weekly.
Smith 6.80

Manning 6.75

Rodgers 6.61

Roethlisberger 6.60

Rivers 6.15
Marty was a huge Rivers fan.

It must depend on your source, obviously everyone has an opinion on which QB is the best out of Rivers, Rodgers and Smith.KC Radio 610 (Tim Grunhard show) is saying the trade is very close, but it's simply 1.01 for Rivers, as Rivers is "much better" than either rookie QB. Makes a lot more sense to me, IF Rivers is better in SF's eyes.But, would SD have to pay the 1.01 his signing bonus?

What about the possibility of the Niners drafting the WR the Chargers want, paying the signing bonus, then completing the trade for Rivers?

What about the possibility of the Niners drafting the WR the Chargers want, paying the signing bonus, then completing the trade for Rivers?
Wouldn't it be easier, just to send cash as part of the deal?I'm really not sure how the sign and trade impacts the SF cap.

Because NFL teams don't make their decisions based on what they read in Magazines. They do their own scouting.
Some teams also felt Ben was a greater risk since he was only a Junior and from a smaller school.

Users who are viewing this thread