What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Philadelphia Eagles draft thread (1 Viewer)

Just traded up to #71 it looks like. Too bad the ESPN idiots were still slobbering about Bush and Mario to notice.

Just traded up to #71 it looks like. Too bad the ESPN idiots were still slobbering about Bush and Mario to notice.
So is friggin NFL network- no idea what's going on anymore. What was the exchange?

Damn, he had 17.5 and then 19 sacks the last two seasons. I think Philly wants to get to the QB this year...

Think they play him at LB? He seems to be one of those tweeners, and they definitely need help at LB. Don't need to see more air guitar and bow ties

from www.philly.com

Gocong was the 2005 Buck Buchanan Award winner, given to the best defensive player in Div. I-AA. Expect the Eagles to convert him into a strong side linebacker.

from www.philly.com

Gocong was the 2005 Buck Buchanan Award winner, given to the best defensive player in Div. I-AA. Expect the Eagles to convert him into a strong side linebacker.
Sweet, thats what I was expecting. Now all there is left to address IMO is WR. Stovall in the 4th pleeease.

Chris GoCong DE (Cal Poly)
:X Really, REALLY don't like this pick...first of all, we don't have a need for a part-time pass rushing DE. We've got Kearse and Howard as the starters with Trent Cole as the 3rd end. Juqua Thomas was just re-signed and we've got a four man tackle rotation to boot.

Gocong is the kind of Combine killer I didn't want to see, particularly with true needs on the board, at LB especially.

:X Really, REALLY don't like this pick...first of all, we don't have a need for a part-time pass rushing DE. We've got Kearse and Howard as the starters with Trent Cole as the 3rd end. Juqua Thomas was just re-signed and we've got a four man tackle rotation to boot.

Gocong is the kind of Combine killer I didn't want to see, particularly with true needs on the board, at LB especially.
He's going to be converted to LB, there's no room at DE.

According to philly.com they want to convert him to SAM. The choices left at LB are very limited and so I'm ok with this pick.

According to philly.com they want to convert him to SAM. The choices left at LB are very limited and so I'm ok with this pick.
PFW said that many teams were considering him at LB vs. DE. 6'2", 263, 4.77.I'm not sure about the trade-up, but a 7th isn't too pricey.

Still wanting Stovall.

Not sure about converting him to SAM, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But either way, that confirms what many of us thought already...that they made a massive reach with McCoy in last year's 2nd round.

So doing a little draft value calculations, it would take at least our two 4th rounders to move up into the third round and possibly get Stovall. What do you think, move up and grab him or take our chances in the fourth?

So doing a little draft value calculations, it would take at least our two 4th rounders to move up into the third round and possibly get Stovall. What do you think, move up and grab him or take our chances in the fourth?
That's what I'm figuring. Makes sense if talent is starting to roll off.That'd be a helluva good first day.

PFW said that many teams were considering him at LB vs. DE. 6'2", 263, 4.77.I'm not sure about the trade-up, but a 7th isn't too pricey.

Still wanting Stovall.
I had him being converted to 3-4 DE, which would be perfect for him, so it was a surprise that he went to the Eagles. I think he has the athleticism to bulk up and be an effective 4-3 DE though.
(3.7, #71 Eagles) DE/OLB Chris Gocong (6-2, 263, 4.70, 10'3" jump, 38.5" vert, 28 reps, 4.08 20S)

Won Buck Buchanon Award for best defensive player in Division I-AA - same award one by teammate and Falcons' 3rd round pick Jordan Peck last year. Insane talent who is going to be overlooked having played in I-AA. Biggest question mark is whether he is big enough for 4-3 DE or fast enough for 3-4 OLB. 2nd day steal.

{Gocong stood on his performance from the Combine and just did a 42-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-5 long jump, both a little better than he did in Indianapolis. Four different teams will be sending defensive coordinators to work him out in the next month to see if he can switch from defensive lineman to a 3-4 linebacker.}

Last edited by a moderator:
If this guy is able to play SAM for the Eagles, he really would be a helluva steal. D'hani Jones blows and the Eagles have made no secret about how dissapointed they were in his play last year.

Eagles did great on their first three picks. I disagree that Gocong is a workout warrier - in fact hes the probably the oppositte - a ridiculously productive in player a small program.

Really dumb question here, but I know we are talking about converting Gocong to an outside linebacker but what does SAM stand for? Its an acronym I'm not familiar with.

Really dumb question here, but I know we are talking about converting Gocong to an outside linebacker but what does SAM stand for? Its an acronym I'm not familiar with.
The 3 linebacker positions are generally known by the nicknames Sam (Strongside backer), Mike (middle) and Will (weakside), because coaches often refer to them that way in the defensive system and play calling. e.g. 4-3 Under, Cover 2, Will Fire.Cheers,

If this guy is able to play SAM for the Eagles, he really would be a helluva steal. D'hani Jones blows and the Eagles have made no secret about how dissapointed they were in his play last year.
He would need to drop weight, but Im not sure he has the coverage speed needed.

Still wanting Stovall.
I had him being converted to 3-4 DE, which would be perfect for him, so it was a surprise that he went to the Eagles. I think he has the athleticism to bulk up and be an effective 4-3 DE though.
(3.7, #71 Eagles) DE/OLB Chris Gocong (6-2, 263, 4.70, 10'3" jump, 38.5" vert, 28 reps, 4.08 20S)

Won Buck Buchanon Award for best defensive player in Division I-AA - same award one by teammate and Falcons' 3rd round pick Jordan Peck last year. Insane talent who is going to be overlooked having played in I-AA. Biggest question mark is whether he is big enough for 4-3 DE or fast enough for 3-4 OLB. 2nd day steal.

{Gocong stood on his performance from the Combine and just did a 42-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot-5 long jump, both a little better than he did in Indianapolis. Four different teams will be sending defensive coordinators to work him out in the next month to see if he can switch from defensive lineman to a 3-4 linebacker.}
I read his best performance was at the Senior Bowl where he excelled against the best of talent.

I'm an Eagles fan and I'm very happy with how things went on day 1. The quantity of draft picks they seemed to enjoy in the past turned into moving around and making quality picks this year.

D line = solid

Anyone care to see Michael Robinson taken today? It'd be interesting to see him moved around that offense with Westbrook. Just a Penn State homer I guess, but it'd be nice to see some sort of playmaker added to that offense today.

I'm an Eagles fan and I'm very happy with how things went on day 1. The quantity of draft picks they seemed to enjoy in the past turned into moving around and making quality picks this year.

D line = solid

Anyone care to see Michael Robinson taken today? It'd be interesting to see him moved around that offense with Westbrook. Just a Penn State homer I guess, but it'd be nice to see some sort of playmaker added to that offense today.
Code:
Philadelphia Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School 1 14 Bunkley, Brodrick DT 6-3 307 Florida State 2 39 Justice, Winston OT 6-6 320 Southern California 3 71 Gocong, Chris DE 6-2 264 Cal Poly 4 108           4 127           5 147           5 168           6 204
Got some spots

:suds:

2 99 Philadelphia (from New Orleans) Jean-Gilles, Max G 6-4 356 Georgia

12 109 Philadelphia (from St. Louis through Green Bay) Avant, Jason WR 6-0 213 Michigan

:suds:

2 99 Philadelphia (from New Orleans) Jean-Gilles, Max G 6-4 356 Georgia

12 109 Philadelphia (from St. Louis through Green Bay) Avant, Jason WR 6-0 213 Michigan
Eagles Get Saints Get 4th round, No. 99: Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia

4th round, No. 108

DT Hollis Thomas

Wow, surprised that is all they got in the deal

Man I hate the Eagles. Great draft for you Eagles fans, typical Andy Reid type draft, grabbing great talent at great spots. Big old road graders on both sides of the ball.

Let's see how the OL is shaping up for next year:

LT Tra Thomas (back up Herremans)

LG Max Jean-Gilles

C Jamaal Jackson/Fraley

RG Shawn Andrews

RT Jon Runyan (back up Winston Justice)

Justice and Herremans could also compete for LG position for a year

Philly is doing very well! Jason Avant is a steal! If the WR coaching is good, he'll shoot up the depth charts for the Eagles.

Philly has been busy!!

Code:
Eagles Get Saints Get 4th round, No. 99: Max Jean-Gilles, G, Georgia 4th round, No. 108: Jahri Evans, OT, BloomsburgDT Hollis Thomas Eagles Get Vikings Get 4th round, No. 115 (traded)6th round, No. 185 4th round, No. 127G Artis Hicks Eagles Get Packers Get 4th round, No. 109: Jason Avant, WR, Michigan 4th round, No. 115: Will Blackmon, WR, Boston College6th round, No. 185

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread