What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Phillps To Interview With Pack (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
Chargers' Phillips Will Interview With Packers

Defensive Coordinator Was Head Coach With Bills, Broncos

By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Jan. 4) - San Diego Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will interview for the Green Bay Packers' vacant coaching job Monday, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

Phillips, who just concluded his second year as an assistant to Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, was the Buffalo Bills' coach from 1998-2000. He also was Denver's coach from 1993-94 and twice has served as an interim head coach, in New Orleans and Atlanta.

Phillips is one of several candidates expected to be interviewed by Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who fired coach Mike Sherman on Monday.

Sherman said Wednesday he wasn't given a reason why he was fired a day after the Packers beat the Seattle Seahawks to finish the season 4-12, their worst record in 15 years.

"I think Ted just felt there was a need at this time to make a change," Sherman said.

Sherman, who signed a two-year contract extension in August, was stripped of general manager duties a year ago and replaced by Thompson.

"Sometimes you just need your own guy. Maybe that's the situation that happened here," Sherman said.

Sherman said he had no regrets: "I gave this job everything I had. I am proud of what we accomplished during that time."

In addition to Phillips, Thompson said Monday he will speak to current Packers defensive coordinator Jim Bates about the job.

The Dallas Morning News reported that the Packers and New Orleans Saints were granted permission to interview Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton.

Gary O'Hagan, agent for former Detroit Lions coach Steve Mariucci, said the Packers had not contacted Steve Mariucci as of Tuesday evening. Mariucci was the Packers' quarterbacks coach under Mike Holmgren and was fired during the season as Detroit's coach.

01/04/06 13:19 EST

Phillips, who just concluded his second year as an assistant to Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, was the Buffalo Bills' coach from 1998-2000. He also was Denver's coach from 1993-94 and twice has served as an interim head coach, in New Orleans and Atlanta.
Shouldn't this tell you all you need to know about him?Great coordinator.. LOUSY Head coach..OH and.. I hope the Packers sign him. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread